PDA

View Full Version : Deathshroud Termies as "Regular" Chaos Termies

Gradek
11-01-2014, 20:28
Would it be generally acceptable to use the FW Deathshroud Terminators as "regular" chaos terminators (with the normal 40k rules, not the Heresy ones). I was thinking the scythes would equivalent to power axes and the chem munitions can easily be combi-bolters. The issue is are they close enough to wysiswg for most games, or are they going to cause issues in identifying what they are.

Spiney Norman
11-01-2014, 20:32
Would it be generally acceptable to use the FW Deathshroud Terminators as "regular" chaos terminators (with the normal 40k rules, not the Heresy ones). I was thinking the scythes would equivalent to power axes and the chem munitions can easily be combi-bolters. The issue is are they close enough to wysiswg for most games, or are they going to cause issues in identifying what they are.

I don't see why not, our chaos player uses the gorgeous Emperors children Phoenix terminators as regular chaos termies and no-one seems to mind, in fact we generally appreciate his beautifully painted models. As with all proxies/counts as/not-WYSIWYG models, its courteous to notify your opponent before hand, but IMHO they'd be a bit ******* to say no.

Fangschrecken
11-01-2014, 21:03
I have no problem with this. It's pretty clear the scythe is going to be used as an axe and not a sword, or maul due to its shape, and while you could claim them as power spears I doubt you'd want to. Some day the day of the spear will come!

Would you want to use them as deathshroud in 30K games or do you just like the models? If your only going to use them in 40K you could consider converting them to have combi-bolters.

Gradek
11-01-2014, 21:35
Would you want to use them as deathshroud in 30K games or do you just like the models? If your only going to use them in 40K you could consider converting them to have combi-bolters.

I would probably like to keep the option open of at some point running them in 30k, but for now they would be my first 30k unit (well, I will probably order a fire raptor with them).

Fangschrecken
11-01-2014, 21:49
The best way to do it would be to pin the guns on and swap them out as needed, but that's also the hardest way. Putty could work, but doesn't always look good, sometime rips away the paint and can be messy.

I'd just use them counts-as, and hope nobody is asinine enough to complain about their load out.

Combi-weapons could be a problem if you use more than one.

MajorWesJanson
12-01-2014, 02:38
The best way to do it would be to pin the guns on and swap them out as needed, but that's also the hardest way. Putty could work, but doesn't always look good, sometime rips away the paint and can be messy.

I'd just use them counts-as, and hope nobody is asinine enough to complain about their load out.

Combi-weapons could be a problem if you use more than one.

If they are all going to have the same combiweapon, they would be fine. If they are going to have different ones, but you don't want to mod the model, why not write the weapon on the rim of the base- flamer, bolter/melta/plasma ect. And if you want to change it later, just repaint the base rim. It wouldn't be modelled, but it would be WSYWYG.

Marshal_Loss
12-01-2014, 03:38
I wouldn't have a problem with it and I doubt most opponents would, you'd just have to clarify what the combi weapon was on a consistent basis as that's all that I could see causing problems

Harwammer
12-01-2014, 11:16
The other way to represent different combi weapons (to a degree) could be paint jobs, but this could require unity across the army.

In my chaos army plasma weapons are purple and meltas have bone yellow barrels and cabling. So if I was to use these models to represent regular terminators with combi weapons* the ones carrying 'combi plasmas' would incorporate a lot of purple in to the weapons colour scheme, the ones carrying 'combi meltas' would incorporate a lot of bone yellow. I'd reinforce this visual cue by painting the exact weapon config on to the rim of the base as suggested above.

*well I say this is what I'd do, in reality I'd just convert the models to have the desired weaponry, but assuming you want to use the terminator models as they come but counts as combi weapons I guess you could to do what I suggested above.

Beppo1234
12-01-2014, 15:06
I don't think anyone here will disagree. Using a marine model to proxy a marine model is fine. WYSIWYG will be what you have to deal with. Weapon swaps are not a problem given FW is resin. So go for it.

frikandel speciaal
12-01-2014, 18:46
It's fine. The models are great. In regular games i use them as Mark Of Nurgle Terminators with poweraxe and combiflamers. No-one ever complained to me.