PDA

View Full Version : Trolls vs Ogres

jprp
12-01-2014, 21:11
Anyone played a Throgg troll army against Ogres? What happened?

Lord Dan
13-01-2014, 04:03
They ran into an Irongut unit with the Banner of Eternal Flame. Oops.

I Am Forsaken
13-01-2014, 04:24
Not sure if Dan's actually recalling an event (awesome oops if you are btw) or making a funny but honestly I dont think the trolls would even get that far. Turn 1 Ironblaster to Throgg's face, clear the table and set up the next game.

Scammel
13-01-2014, 07:22
Not sure if Dan's actually recalling an event (awesome oops if you are btw) or making a funny but honestly I dont think the trolls would even get that far. Turn 1 Ironblaster to Throgg's face, clear the table and set up the next game.

You've heard of Look Out, Sir, haven't you?

Evil Hypnotist
13-01-2014, 08:48
Mournfang charge in the flank on turn 2, fluffed all Throgg's attacks, lost the combat and was run down. Game over. Troll armies can be effective but obviously you have to keep Throgg alive and whoever can get spell buffs off on them too.

Urgat
13-01-2014, 09:43
You've heard of Look Out, Sir, haven't you?

And are ironblasters flaming? Coz regen is quite useful against cannonballs otherwise.

I Am Forsaken
13-01-2014, 10:03
Well I may be in an odd position but I fail more 4+ saves than I make, but yes totally brain-farted on the Look Our, Sir lol

shakedown47
13-01-2014, 21:20
The problem with an all-troll army, IMO, is that by having too much of a good thing you lose sight of proper stewardship of troll units.

Trolls have always been treated as a little bit precious, because of their stupidity and low leadership. Even once they're babysat, you still don't want them to be flanked or combo charged and a good player will use trolls in concert with the rest of his army to ensure that trolls only get placed into favorable combats.

When you have an army of nothing but trolls, but don't have the benefit of access to a high-ld general or a BSB to help you re-roll break and stupidity checks, you'll start to find yourself in trouble. Taking warhounds can help redirect and delay combats, but at Ld 5 they're unreliable against terror-causers and also don't do well with panic checks, so placement really becomes paramount. I think Throgg can be a magnificent addition to a balanced WoC force, but a Throgg troll army just comes up short, IMO.

Ogres will outmaneuver you, out-stall you, and will have much better direction of the battle overall in picking and choosing when and how fights happen. Bringing gut magic, on top of everything else, tips things further in their favor.

Tyrant of Zhufbar
13-01-2014, 23:15
I do not fear Throgg type lists with troll units when I play my Ogres. I run a firebelly 80% of the time and with his I2 he goes first and strips regen before the trolls attack, then my bulls have free reign to cleave the beasties in half. My FB has also singlehandedly taken out throgg in a challenge 3 times. Add to this that my ironguts have the flaming banner half the time and its a WoC build my ogres can enjoy.

Lord Dan
14-01-2014, 04:52

I was recalling an event. There's nothing like watching an 800 point unit disappear under the overwhelming might of a 10 point banner. Therein lies the fatal flaw of the Throgg list: against some armies it will absolutely dominate, and against others it's laughably awful. That inconsistency is the reason why if I were making a WoC list I wouldn't choose the Throgg Horde as a base.

Urgat
14-01-2014, 06:36
Why just trolls with Throgg though? If you want to go fluffy, iirc, in the fluff, all manners of monsters follow Throgg, so I'd take dragon ogres and so on.

Lord Dan
14-01-2014, 06:42
Why just trolls with Throgg though? If you want to go fluffy, iirc, in the fluff, all manners of monsters follow Throgg, so I'd take dragon ogres and so on.

Oh, I totally agree there. My friend plays a cool Monster Mash WoC army with a Throgg Troll horde, a Daemon Prince, 4 Dragon Ogres, a big block of Skullcrushers, 2 Chimeras, some dogs, and some other goodies I can't recall. It's a nifty list, however anyone playing something similar needs to understand that you'll rarely find yourself pulling off Draws, as the comparatively fragile (in the sense that their only defense is totally mitigated by a 10 point banner) core of your army makes up about 1/3 of your points. Expect big wins and big losses.

Evil Hypnotist
14-01-2014, 08:48
Agreed, I took a monster list to my last tournament. Nurgle DP, 2 x 9 trolls inc. Throgg, Dragon Ogres, Chimera, Warhounds, Nurgle Ogres. I found buffing Lore of Nurgle worked very well and I saw plenty of wins in practice games. On the day, however, I lost my DP before turn 3 in each game (Exploded, 2 Bolt Throwers, Banner of the World Dragon on Swordmasters) and I ended up ranked 21/22. People didn't believe me when I said the list was fragile til I proved it!