PDA

View Full Version : spartan laser destroyers

nerull1025
13-01-2014, 04:52
I know all the focus right now is on the new nids rules, but I have a completely different concern atm.

I've been getting sucked in by the rules for the Spartan Assault tank, even though they're nothing new and the model is both hella-expensive and quite frankly ugly imo.

The thing is though it has the option for ordnance "laser destroyers" in its rules, they don't seem to appear anywhere in the kit.
All I see is the quad lascannons, which are also a good option, but you'd think for that kind of money they would at least give the parts for both setups, but then I guess it doesn't have the bit for the multi-melta it can take for that matter either.

I was considering just converting it from a normal land raider, seeing how it's a much more aesthetically pleasing model, but there's an outside chance people might complain about it not being the actual model since the Spartan is considerably bigger than the land raider (or so I read).

So I guess my question is two-fold.
1) What the hell is a person supposed to do if they want laser destroyers? Would you just declare before the game that the quads count as LDs since there doesn't seem to be a way to get them (outside of paying 100 bucks for 2 rapiers which look really similar to the quads anyway).
2) Do you think converting a Spartan from a land raider is fair game?

MajorWesJanson
13-01-2014, 06:44
Quad Lascannon and Laser Destroyer is basically the same thing. Essentially just different fire modes for the same weapon. The Rapier Laser destroyer is basically the same, just more compressed together, just like there are different appearances for normal lascannons- Land Raider, Predator and Devastator lascannons are all the same weapon but look different.

nerull1025
13-01-2014, 07:03
Thanks for the quick reply. That clears that up.

Now if anyone weighed in on a converted land raider being okay for counts as a spartan I'd appreciate that too.
I wouldn't change the hull, other than to Nurglefy it with death guard doors, but I was going to take the quad lascannons from the Wall of Martyrs - Firestorm Redoubt without the middle section.

MajorWesJanson
13-01-2014, 07:40
Short term proxy, sure. Long term, the Spartan is rather bigger. It's a proteus in this picture next to the spartan, but comparing it to mine, the length of the proteus is about the same as a plastic land raider, while the proteus and spartan are just a tad taller.