PDA

View Full Version : Tyranids. What to buy on my way home from work

Madcapmushroom
13-01-2014, 16:43
Hi Warseers.

I have the new tyranid codex and have had a bit of a read through it. I have 50 euro to spend and wanted to pick up something tyranid on my way home from work to paint over my 2 days off work. I dont own any tyranids yet, but i dont want to buy something that i will never use.

Basically i am asking, what would be a safe buy? Im looking for something that i wiill be using in a few games at least and not just sit on my shelf forever.

I was thinking a venomthrope would be a safe enough bet.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

TheBearminator
13-01-2014, 17:18
I'm not the nid expert. But from what I understand you're gonna need more gants and gaunts from now on.

ReveredChaplainDrake
13-01-2014, 18:19
If your shop has the 5x Termagants, go for that first. Once you settle on a paint scheme you can replicate a few hundred times (my early-onset arthritis wishes that was a hyperbole), go for a Swarm box or two. Yes, I mean the $170 one. And yes, I did say "or two". It's a lot of bulk, but it's like buying the Gants and Gaunts all individually and getting 10 Gargoyles and a Carnifex free, so it's not like you lose anything by going this route. Plus, that's very nearly all the little gribbles you'll ever need.

While Tyranid players are still hammering out some form of efficiency from the codex, there seems to be a consensus that Double Flyrant is going to be the workhorse of the competent list. However, the Heavy Support is very much up in the air with no clear consensus. My hat's in the ring for the Exocrine to come out on top, but a lot of people still like Mawlocs and Carnifexes. That's why, if you can get the Carnifexes free with gribbles, I'd suggest you do so.

Just saying it now, but having played Tyranids since 3rd, I feel it necessary to offer my warnings. If you want an army that won't have most of your models sitting on the shelf forever, you probably picked the wrong army. For that matter, you may have picked the wrong game altogether. As much as I despise the force-feeding of the term "Tyranid collector", it's sadly very true. Playing Tyranids is more of an exercise of buying 3-6 of everything and then magnetizing and/or selectively deep-freezing the units and choices that don't work.

Langdon
13-01-2014, 19:12
If your shop has the 5x Termagants, go for that first. Once you settle on a paint scheme you can replicate a few hundred times (my early-onset arthritis wishes that was a hyperbole), go for a Swarm box or two. Yes, I mean the $170 one. And yes, I did say "or two". It's a lot of bulk, but it's like buying the Gants and Gaunts all individually and getting 10 Gargoyles and a Carnifex free, so it's not like you lose anything by going this route. Plus, that's very nearly all the little gribbles you'll ever need.

While Tyranid players are still hammering out some form of efficiency from the codex, there seems to be a consensus that Double Flyrant is going to be the workhorse of the competent list. However, the Heavy Support is very much up in the air with no clear consensus. My hat's in the ring for the Exocrine to come out on top, but a lot of people still like Mawlocs and Carnifexes. That's why, if you can get the Carnifexes free with gribbles, I'd suggest you do so.

Just saying it now, but having played Tyranids since 3rd, I feel it necessary to offer my warnings. If you want an army that won't have most of your models sitting on the shelf forever, you probably picked the wrong army. For that matter, you may have picked the wrong game altogether. As much as I despise the force-feeding of the term "Tyranid collector", it's sadly very true. Playing Tyranids is more of an exercise of buying 3-6 of everything and then magnetizing and/or selectively deep-freezing the units and choices that don't work.

i agree with you here.. the Big boxes are 105, saving 54 per box.. You are essentially getting 3 big boxes for the price of 2.

Sternguard777
13-01-2014, 19:13

Very interesting this. I had dismissed the Swarm Box as another of GW's patented "bundles" that cost just as much as everything separate. But after having a look at the components and looking at the price of purchasing them individually its a really good value you really do pretty much get the gargoyles and Carnifex for free. I might have a look a getting one of these for myself :shifty:

@OP Though if you're just stopping by for a few models or something to start then either the 5 gaunt box or a venomthrope should be good.

Mauler
13-01-2014, 19:36
I'd grab a Tyrant for an HQ followed by some Gaunts or Gants. As already said, use the little guys to work out your colour scheme and a Tyrant is something that you'll almost always want to field.

Madcapmushroom
13-01-2014, 20:13
Thanks guys.

Picked up the gaunts, working on a scheme now. Much appreciation for all the advice.

Madcap.

TheBearminator
13-01-2014, 21:39
Good luck! Be sure to upload your work when you've invented your scheme. :)

Also, these magnificent bundles. Are they GW exclusive? Cause in that case you might be even better off with a few regular bundles from wayland or dark sphere.

still-young
13-01-2014, 22:08
The bundles are not direct only, I got mine for 84

Langdon
14-01-2014, 00:31
The bundles are not direct only, I got mine for 84
i envy you.. best I can hope for is 94 but it is still 94 than I want to spend to get nids going agai

Chumbalaya
14-01-2014, 04:49
i dont want to buy something that i will never use.

Then you probably shouldn't buy any Tyranids.

mpepperdine
14-01-2014, 04:50
As much alcohol as possible to drown those sorrows