PDA

View Full Version : A Warriors Progression: True-scale, Pre-heresy Emperors Children

MTSulla
13-01-2014, 16:54
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Avatars/1e482adb-4ce1-40c4-80ad-f8d06face7b1_zps78c3cb24.jpg?t=1410434426
“I find myself isolated here, on this ship. I am not of the same ilk as the other remembrancers, I am no artist, musician, or even a poet. I produce no images, compose nothing of note, nor do I write anything in verse that would be pleasing to anyone on board. I find my only solace in conversation with a similarly isolated Astartes, one Decurion Silvanus Loculus. Silvanus enjoys retelling the stories of a great warrior of the Legion, and also a distant relative of the Decurion, who was amongst the first of the Terran recruits to join the legion, lon gbefore the Emperor descended to Chemos. The story of this warrior, and the advancement of his career is also the story of this great legions history, and I hope that by committing it to paper, it will one day be of some worth, to somebody.
Thus I present the story of Aetius Loculus, ‘The Risen,’ Honoured by the Emperor, Once equerry to Ancient Rylanor: a Warriors Progression.”

This thread is intended to chart the progress of a series of models I am going to produce, charting the career of a single Legionary. I am going to be doing him true-scale, and as true to the background as I possibly can, not only for the modelling challenges, but I found Apologist's True-Scale Ultramarines (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?146205-Praetors-of-Calth-%96-Pre-Heresy-Ultramarines) & Sons of Horus (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?305679-Titanomachy-%96-Sons-of-Horus) incredibly inspiring.

I used to collect and paint a lot when I was a kid, and now, more than a decade later, I've fallen back into it. I started by getting my teeth into some Tau that were in my parents attic, but my real interest before the Tau was always the Emperors Children. Now, I started a 40k Emperors Children Chaos Space Marine army about 15 years ago, but didn't complete the thing, because, well, what self-respecting teenage boy paints Space Marines pink? But the one of the many changes that have happened in the hobby during my hiatus is the vast amount of background material there is for the Great Crusade era, and that got me thinking about the EC again, and when I stumbled across this image...

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Legion%20diagrams/Post-unificationeraIIILegionshoulderpad_zpsedb6958e.jpg

... it really got my brain working.

I've also done a lot of research into the EC Legion before the heresy, and have got a time-line (of sorts, as there are a lot of contradictions out there!), and some pictures of the Legion hierarchy, among other things, so I will also be sharing those. Here is how a Legionary's career would advance, by my reckoning!

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Legion%20diagrams/Legionaryprogression_zps70c08337.jpg

Please, by all means, hit me up with some comments & criticisms, especially with the background, as I have done some guess-work and reading-between-the-lines.

Oh, and I post all my stuff (including some of my Tau) on Instagram, so check out @MTSulla.

MTSulla
14-01-2014, 13:55
Well, I've been progressing quickly, and think my first post was too text heavy, so here are the components I started with...

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Legionary%20Aetius/LegionaryAetiusWIPI_zps5bc86bab.jpg

I've managed to progress a lot quicker than I expected, and have now completed the green-work on the body and legs. This is meant to be Mark II Crusade Pattern Power Armour, all in true-scale. Would love to hear some feedback, especially regarding the "historical" accuracy. I'm trying to be as true to the background as I can.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Legionary%20Aetius/LegionaryAetiusWIPII_zps8bb4edcc.jpg

Atia
15-01-2014, 20:52
Looks good, while usually i don't like true-scale, the legs are looking very nice. keep it up!

for the fluff: at "fulgrim" they have captains aswell as lord commanders. Maybe it's just retconned but i would use the term Captain instead of Centurion.

MTSulla
16-01-2014, 11:47
Atia, thanks for looking and the comments, I'm always glad to get some feedback!

The Captain vs Centurion argument was one I had with myself, the novels all point to Captain after all. That said, HH Betrayl makes reference to the Centurion, (there's even a picture of one, I'll probably repost it on this log at some point) I personally like that it is different to other legions, and it also fits in with the "Roman" theme amongst the EC (with Decirions instead of Seargants, and Cohorts instead of Battalions). But perhaps I will revisit my diagrams and add Captain/Centurion...

I've changed the image in the first post now! Thanks Atia.

Still Standing
17-01-2014, 20:34
It's not actually true scale though is it? It's a heresy marine who is larger than all other heresy marines, making it too big...

MTSulla
28-01-2014, 13:35
Haha! I know there is a lot of debate about true/actual-scale space marines, and if it's brilliant, or if it's stupid, but the reason I've chosen to go down this route is I feel Apologists method (which I have stolen) produces SMs that look a little more in proportion, and are closer to a lot of GWs own artwork. That, and the modelling challenge.

I'm not bothered about anatomical rules, (such as a torso should be two-and-a-half head lengths), I'm just looking to challenge myself with this protect, make some models that look good (to me!) and I like how it is progressing so far. I am bothered about "historical accuracy" though...

Thanks for looking and the feedback!

MTSulla
29-01-2014, 13:33
“Silvanus has been reciting the legend of Aetius Loculus to me, and I find comfort in the deeds he describes. The story begins not with the fabled warrior himself, but rather spans back to before the founding of the III Legion Astartes itself. It was during the Unification Wars, when the defeated noble houses of Europa presented the finest of their youth to the Emperor for indoctrination into his third legion of Thunder Warriors. It is said among the ancients of the Legion that this is how the III Legion became colloquially known as "The Emperors Children."

One of the earliest Terran houses to supply initiates to the Emperors III Legion were House Loculus of Komarg. The Patriarch of this great and ancient family, Lucius Licinius Loculus, is said to been killed by the hand of the Emperor whilst commanding a valiant last stand, and as a mark of honour and respect for the deeds of Lucius, descendants of his house who became initiates were permitted by the Emperor to display Loculan heraldry on their right shoulder guards.

Aetius was first brought into service around 798.M30, following the close of the Unification Wars and the purge of ++Transcript redacted++ The Europan patrician recruits were still being sent to populate the III Legion, now reformed following the first founding as the first "true" space marines in preparation for the Great Crusade, and as Lucius' eldest son, Aetius was one of the first Astartes. Already relatively advanced in age for a potential neophyte (he was reportedly in his latetwenties), his body accepted the new implants without rejection. His age leant him a natural authority above the other potential legionaries, and he advanced through training quickly being assigned to the 377th tactical squad under Decurion Servilius Ahala, (76th Company, XVI Cohort, VIII Millenial).

Our last meeting was cut unfortunately short due to Silvanus being called away by a superior, I find myself waiting on tenter-hooks for the next portion of Aetius story, as I am curious as to how ++Transcript redacted++ service in the XVI Cohort ++Transcript redacted++ Proxima Insurrection. I did have chance to document the structure of the 76th, and populate some of the named officers from the archives here aboard the Pride of the Emperor, and will see if Silvanus can corroborate further at our next encounter."

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Legion%20diagrams/Companystructure_zps868fd00f.jpg

First up, I have the evolution of his heraldry all planned out, and this is what I intended for Legionary Aetius, the basic crest of House Loculus.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Aetius%20heraldry/LegionaryAetiusHeraldry_zps3ea1b037.jpg

I am progressing with the first representation of Aetius, and as a thread with limited pictures of miniatures is pretty boring, I thought I better share!

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Legionary%20Aetius/WIP1_zps55675075.jpg

As you can see, I have finished the basic Mark II "Crusade" Pattern armour, in a fetching off-white (no purple or Palatine Aquilla yet, that'll come after Proxima). You can also see I've began his personal heraldry (it is more central in real life than this picture suggests!) but I still need to complete his backpack, right arm and left shoulder pad (which will hopefully! resemble the one in my first post). I'm planning on doing the shoulder pad trims and collar in a silver (I have done this on the left pauldron, but am unhappy with the finish) At the minute, it's looking a little too Death-Guardy, so I plan on adding some embellishments to denote him as being from the III Legion, I just haven't figured out what yet... Suggestions welcome!

I am also unsure how I want the Volkite Caliver to look, as I want it to be a pre-cursor to the bolter and bolt pistols later iterations of Aetius will have, so whatever I choose now, I would like to fit with the purple that the next model (Decurion Aetius) will have. Again, suggestions welcome!

Thanks for looking, as always, would appreciate any and all C&Cs!

malika
29-01-2014, 23:03
Wow...this is really awesome! So will you do a whole army, or just individual models, each with a story of its own?

MTSulla
29-01-2014, 23:12
Thanks Malika. Not a whole army no, I'm planning on a number of models who all represent the same guy, Aetius, basically a model per promotion he gets, with his story developing as I do more models. I'm planning on running his background alongside the background of the legion.

So, for example, the first model will be Aetius fighting during the Proxima Insurrection (I know there were meant to be no survivors, but I'm taking some artistic licence), and later down the line there will be an Aetius who accompanied Rylanor and the Emperor when Chemos was discovered, an Aetius as a member of the Palatine Blades etc etc etc.

Thanks for looking and posting!

malika
31-01-2014, 20:27
Oooh, I've got an Emperor's Children character for you who was with the Legion from its early days!

Malika's submission to the first fiction competition on the First Expedition forums (http://z13.invisionfree.com/The_First_Expedition/index.php?showtopic=810&view=findpost&p=22084479).

MTSulla
02-02-2014, 17:35
Malika, I like it! A lot of parallels with Aetius! I'm surprised how much I'm actually enjoying writing the background, although Oscar Wilde, I ain't! I've written all his background and designed all his heraldry up until Laer, but now I've got to decide whether to

a) Kill him off,
b) Make him loyalist, or
c) Do a full decent to Chaos...

Or I can just wait until I'm at that stage with the models, and see how I want to go, or if I'm sick of him by then? I've got at least six iterations to make before then!

MTSulla
04-02-2014, 14:10
I've done a little green stuff-ing this morning and thought I'd share on here. There should be more work-in-progress shots on here anyway.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Legionary%20Aetius/ShoulderpadWIP_zpsd690e5ec.jpg

I originally painted a replica of the original, but it didn't look right because there was no shading around the aquilla and III markings, so to rectify, I decided to sculpt them on instead. Looks a bit blotchy on a zoomed in photo, hopefully it'll look better with some paint!

MTSulla
05-02-2014, 12:19
Time for another small update,

I've now attached Legionary Aetius' backpack and head, and have finished painting his face & hair. Not much left to paint now, just the metal trim on his shoulder pads, backpack and weapon, the detail on the shoulder pad sculpt from the last post and additional details, although I haven't figured what these will be yet, other than maybe a unit marking on one of his knees.

Anyway, I am quite pleased with how his face turned out, so I thought I'd share, and (finally) put a face to the name!

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Legionary%20Aetius/Picture2_zps72b57835.jpg

I hope you like it!

Apologist
05-02-2014, 13:14
What a cool project! The idea of following the progression through the turbulent years of the Great Crusade and Heresy is a really fantastic one, and has huge opportunities for exploration. Focussing on a single character's path is a good idea, as it ensures you get the best opportunities for depth.

I really admire the approach you've taken to marry the historical organisation with the background in the books, as that takes a lot of effort. Of course, if it's rewarding, then it's well worth continuing the pursuit! The legionary progression table looks sensible to me; thought I'd suggest that you build in some flexibility or development. After all, the Crusade lasts centuries, and some development or refinement would not only be likely, but will also help to emphasise the difference between the responsive, agile 31st Millennium, and the monolithic, hidebound 41st. I think you'd enjoy working out the equivalent of the Marian reforms during times of change – post-Unification, post-Fulgrim etc – as well.

If there's one minor criticism of the overall approach, it's that it sticks a little too closely to Roman history. Introducing some other elements – perhaps some Persian ideas? – would go a long way to adding some fantasy and 'space marine' identity, which would help add depth and areas to explore. It's noted in Betrayal that Fulgrim introduced the idea of the '10 princes', for example; which is a distinctively in-universe detail that doesn't match Roman history. That's not to say the more rigid, Roman-led idea doesn't have merit, and perhaps you have plans to adapt the progression etc. at different stages?

As to the modelling and painting; well, they're exemplary! The greenstuff work is very clean and detailed (particularly the pauldron detailing), and I really like the colour scheme. If I might make a suggestion, it would be to add some purple somewhere; perhaps on the pauldrons? This would be an obvious visual clue to his identity as a member of the III Legion, and would tie into hints we get of the appearance of the Legions during the Unification Wars, where the Dusk Raiders and War Hounds have white armour with different coloured arms/pauldrons. It'll also set off the slightly yellow-cream of the armour.

Particular congratulations on the face – it looks fantastic.

I'll be keeping an eye on this project to follow the progression of character. Personally, I'd love to see Aetius develop into a paragon of virtue, before falling to Chaos. Perhaps you could have him split into a loyalist and a traitor? This could be metaphorical; or you could introduce some sci-fi magic/handwavium and have him split by the power of Slaanesh/teleporter accident or similar. That'd let you explore both possibilities... :)

MTSulla
05-02-2014, 16:53
Thanks Apologist! I'm a big fan of your true-scale work and I'd be lying (not-to-mention contradictory, see first post) to say that your Ultras and Sons were not my main inspiration for this project, and it's pretty cool to get such high praise and constructive criticism from yourself. I must admit that it was the large scope to delve into the background of the 30th/31st Millenia that pushed me into doing this. That plus the fact I don't think I'd have time to do a whole army, this seemed like a good medium between army-collecting and just doing some individual pieces, and was more appealing than just doing, say, a squad.

I completely see your point regarding the legionary progression, it is rather rigid, and unlikely that it would remain unchanged following such monumental events as reunification with Fulgrim etc. (Although I do have additional flow charts for later posting regarding Subaltern and Equerry progression that include Legionaries being invalided out of active service, largely inspired by Maloghurst). Being an amateurish fan of Roman History certainly has rubbed off on me, and I concede your point about being perhaps over-reliant on it (Although I have found references to both Decurions (Grythan Thorn was a Decurion, Equerry to Fulgrim during the Kobal Compliance campaign, who was killed during the botched commandeering of the Sunstone in the early stages of the Istvaan III atrocity) and Centurions (HH Betrayal imagery)) maybe all my named individuals shouldn't have Roman names/be named after historical Romans...

Based on your comments, I am going to look into other cultures for inspiration, I'm thinking Carthaginian (because, you know, "The Pheonician") and because Forge Worlds Palatine Blades and Pheonix Guard have elements that look Arabic or North African/Middle Eastern to me, those too. That also ties in with the Princes of War that you mentioned and I picked up on and put into the Legionary Progression.

I was umming-and-arring about whether to use purple as an accent colour on the first model, for the exact reasons you mentioned, and as the first model represents Aetius during the Proxima Insurrection, it would make sense that the Legion may have used some purple as they were there as the Emperors honour guard. So maybe I'll do his right knee in purple with a gold III... I was also planning on doing a scenic base for him, with a fallen banner and a crater on some sort of formal plaza, and will probably incorporate purple into that too.

As for suggestion regarding modelling both potential outcomes for his career (loyalist AND traitor), I like it a lot. That's got millage...

Thanks again for looking, posting & reviewing, I'm looking for as much feedback as possible!

Now, I don't like the idea of posting no images what-so-ever, so here's a sneak peak at Decurion/ Sergeant Aetius' Heraldry, although I am yet to decide if he will be an assault or tactical sergeant...

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Aetius%20heraldry/Decurionheraldry_zps962ed80b.jpg

Enjoy!

malika
05-02-2014, 19:18
Oh nice! I really dig the marine's face, really shows the 'deformity' the undergo when becoming Astartes (and yes, even pretty boys like the Emperor's Children would look rather deformed like that).

As for Apologist's mention of Persian influence, try to get your hands on Reign the Conqueror (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0295765/), it's basically Peter Chung's (the guy behind Aeon Flux) interpretation of Alexander the Great. It has some cool stuff that might potentially be a cool inspiration, especially the megalomania of certain things.

One thing I'm very curious about in this project is to see the impact Fabius Bile will have on your marines during the later days of the Crusade and Horus Heresy...

MTSulla
12-02-2014, 10:37
Thanks Malika.

I must admit, Reign: The Conqueror is new to me, I'll have to check it out. And as for the effect Fabius Bile may have on Aetius, I haven't got that far ahead in the planning yet, although I do have an idea for if I model Aetius to become a follower of Slaanesh. You'll just have to watch this space...

I've also been thinking about Sergeant Aetius, and cultural references for my legionaries. I was originally going to look to Carthaginian/Pheonician culture for inspiration, but based upon Apologist's suggestion, as well as including some military reforms into the background story, I also think re-unification with Fulgrim would introduce some aesthetic reforms to the Legion, so I will save the cool Carthaginian/Pheonician references I've found (that also fit in quite nicely with stuff from FW) for after Fulgrim is reunited with his legion. So, until then, I will taking inspiration from Colonial British Military uniforms (brocade, the front detailing of dress uniforms etc), applied fairly subtly, I don't want to create what looks like some dench imperial guard... I will try to put pen-to-paper to sketch out what I am intending.

In the meantime, I made some fairly good progress on Legionary Aetius, and he has all his bits attached, and is on a base.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Legionary%20Aetius/Picture1_zps4322e33f.jpg

All that remains is to finish the base (which will sit in a larger scenic base), highlight all the black areas on/under his armour, add a small amount of purple on his right knee, now embellished with GS III that needs to be painted gold. And his gun. I am having trouble with his gun, mostly the light emitted from the core of his Volkite Caliver. Because Volkite weapons are thermal weapons, I thought a red glow would be the most appropriate colour, but my first attempt looks rubbish (obviously, the vertical extensions from the gun casing would be painted eventually). Does anyone have any suggestions for any appropriate colours/ painting techniques as I am really unhappy with it ATM. I may attempt some glow effects, but need to get the colour right first. We'll see. I wanted to steer clear of blues and greens, as i didn't want it to look like a plasma weapon, so yeah. Hit me up with some suggestions!

Thanks for looking.

MTSulla
15-02-2014, 20:11
As per my last post, I've knocked up a couple of concept drawings of two pre-Fulgrim Emperors Children Legionaries, with some nods to Colonial British Military uniforms. My idea is to model a couple of iterations of Aetius along these lines before the rediscovery of Chemos, after which Fulgrim would have exerted his own influence on the aesthetics of his Legion.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Colonial%20British%20References/Uniformconcepts_zps49c3199e.jpg

I don't know whether to put the honourary aquila over these additions, or perhaps somewhere else, like on the left pauldrons (as presumably it was Fulgrim who came up with the eagle wing/claw symbol, so it was after that was in common use that the aquilla migrated onto the chest), or alternatively on the MASSIVE belt buckles.

Let me know what you think!

malika
16-02-2014, 08:34
Since you are getting FW bits, why not some brass Imperial eagles? They would look super tight, be it on the chests or shoulder pads.

Atia
16-02-2014, 21:20
Looks good so far, but one Little question (sorry if you wrote it before): why is he White and not purple?^^

MTSulla
17-02-2014, 14:05
Since you are getting FW bits, why not some brass Imperial eagles? They would look super tight, be it on the chests or shoulder pads.

That's a nice idea, and I must admit I hadn't considered it. It's something I'll look into. Only stumbling block I can foresee is I order all of my components individually from bits-sites and ebay (my bits box is LOOOOOOONG gone I'm afraid), and I'll have to check out what is availiable from there.

Looks good so far, but one Little question (sorry if you wrote it before): why is he White and not purple?^^

Ah, an excellent question Atia, as I probably haven't made it all that clear yet.

The III Legion were involved in an engagement early in the Great Crusade known as the Proxima Insurrection, where the Emperor was nearly killed, and the entire 16th Cohort were wiped out (with the exception of Aetius, according to my narrative). After Proxima, the Legionaries of the IIIrd would often accompany diplomats and act as envoys, when they were allowed by the Big E to lacquer their armour imperial purple and wear the Palatine Aquilla, as well as carrying out Exterminatus on those pesky insurrectionists.

As the first model in this series represents Legionary Aetius fighting on Proxima, he is in off-white armour (that I loosely based on a shoulder pad I posted in the first post), but Sergeant Aetius (who I ordered the parts for this morning btw) will be in good-old, familiar purple.

In order to tie the first model in with his future iterations, he is now sporting a purple knee cap (which I'm writing up as an honour awarded to the 16th Cohort to mark their service as the Emperors honour guard) which I haven't posted a photo of yet, because I'm waiting to finish the entire model before posting him again.

Thanks for looking.

MTSulla
17-02-2014, 15:21
As Atia mentioned purple, I thought share my thoughts on how Emperors Children are commonly portrayed.

Now I know I am not unique in this opinion, but I've never really been a fan of the usual Liche/ Xereus purple that Emperors Children are painted in. To me, it doesn't quite seem befitting of the Emperors finest warriors. The III Legion are described as having "Imperial" purple armour, and to my mind the usual purple seen is a bit to cartooney. I did in fact completely write off the idea of doing any Emperors Children project because I dislike the in-your-face purple they are often sporting.

And then I saw Scars awesome EC over on another forum (http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/blog/487760.page) and LOVED how they looked, much closer to the mental image I have had of them for getting on for 15 years now. I even tried the recipe on the page in that link, but was pretty underwhelmed with the result. The images show miniatures with an almost red hue to them, and I couldn't replicate it.

In the end, when I was deciding which Legion to choose for this project, none of the other back stories grabbed me like the IIIrds did, and so I decided to overcome my fear of purple and find a result that I was happy with, and unashamedly tried to replicate what Scars models looked like on screen. In the end I came up with this recipe...

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Colour%20schemes/EmperorsChildrenpurple_zpsf49ca92a.jpg

and I thought I'd share. I'm pretty happy with the more muted, greyey-reddy-purple this method produces, (the gold, on-the-other-hand, is a different matter entirely, but I'll save that for a future post) and I think this picture is fairly true to life.

I know a grainey-magnified knee pad covered with gold numerals is not the best premiere for this, but I'd love to get some feedback!

Thanks for looking!

MTSulla
25-02-2014, 14:10
"Silvanus has been reprimanded by those in the higher… +Transcript redacted+ ….on Laer, of great importance,although he does not discuss it with me. In spite of this, we are still able to communicate about other matters via data packet he sends via his adherent Ennio. This adherent is on friendly terms with a junior archivist on board, and between the three of us, we are painting a more than satisfactory picture of Aetius Loculus and his early career, his latter deeds, of course, being more widely known.

Although in the years after 801.M30 the III Legion were heavily involved in the Great Crusade, taking part in numerous military actions, too many to name here, it wasn't until the Proxima Insurrection in 810.M30 that the Legion was elevated to new heights in the eyes of the Emperor. What happened on Proxima is fairly well known throughout the Imperium, any engagement that nearly results in the Emperors death is bound to gain a certain level of notoriety.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Legionary%20Aetius/Background/Picture1_zps5a142af4.jpg
Legend has it that it was the III Legion who were assigned as the Emperor's honour guard for the Imperial Compliance ceremonies, and, interestingly, from where they were first granted the honour of bearing the Palatine Aquilla, (although it was only borne on their pauldrons at this point, rather than the breastplates) and able to wear Imperial purple on their right knees. During the height of the ceremonies, an insurrectionist trap was spring that resulted in the XVI Cohort of the IIIrd alongside the Legio Custodes on the worlds ceremonial plaza being all but wiped out. The sacrifice made by the legionaries allowed time for the wounded Emperor torecover and fight his way clear. In recognition of this sacrifice, the Palatine Standard that was so fiercely fought for that day, was given to the Astartes ofthe IIIrd Legion by the Emperor's own hand, to be their relic ever after, in addition to the right to end the Proximan revolt by Exterminatus and so repay the blood that was owed them.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Backgorund/Picture3_zpsf58a0162.jpg
Pict-capture of Legionary Aetius Loculus fighting on the ceremonial plaza on Proxima.

Although it is commonly considered that all the Astartes present on Proxima were wiped out, there was one warrior from amongst the lifeless bodies that was found to have minimal life signs. He was designated to receive the Emperors Peace, but as the only survivor, an Apothicary was ordered by the Emperor to attempt to resuscitate the lone legionary. After eight weeks in an induced coma, the nameless legionary was eventually revived, identifying himself as Aetius Loculus (his personal arms being damaged beyond repair during the conflict), and found himself held in high proclaim by his brother Astartes. Granted the honourific "The Risen," he was lauded by the XVI Lieutenant Commander Thordorian, awarded the privilege of wearing stylised laurels upon his helm for his devout service to the Emperor, and promoted to Sergeant of the newly “Phobis” equipped tactical squad, designated “Locula.”"

Well, I have finished Legionary Aetius (with the exception of the base). Whilst I'm happy with the conversion work, I am not overwhelmed with the standard of the painting. I will probably do a bit of a self-critique in the future, but I would love to get feedback off of all of you guys on here, I am really keen to improve.

And now onto some more pictures.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Legionary%20Aetius/Picture2_zpsfe8f7067.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Legionary%20Aetius/Picture3_zps7d523f89.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Legionary%20Aetius/Picture1_zpscac02bab.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Legionary%20Aetius/Picture4_zpsc044b66d.jpg

Enjoy!

NB: I have pulled some images in this post from th'interwebs and then edited... I don't intend any copyright infringement, I'm just trying to add a bit more background to my plog. Any image with my avatar on is my original work.

Rhaivaen
27-02-2014, 06:26
Looking great so far :)

MTSulla
27-02-2014, 13:53
Looking great so far :)

Thanks man!

I've also made some headway on the pose for Sergeant Aetius, and thought I'd share an early mock up.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Sergeant%20Aetius/5_zpsc0d9cc93.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Sergeant%20Aetius/6_zps0a8a8cc0.jpg

I won't actually be using that banner, I'll make one that will (hopefully!) look like it is moving appropriately considering it is being held by someone who is breaking into a run.

What do you guys think?

Beppo1234
27-02-2014, 14:15
Thanks man!

I've also made some headway on the pose for Sergeant Aetius, and thought I'd share an early mock up.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Sergeant%20Aetius/5_zpsc0d9cc93.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Sergeant%20Aetius/6_zps0a8a8cc0.jpg

I won't actually be using that banner, I'll make one that will (hopefully!) look like it is moving appropriately considering it is being held by someone who is breaking into a run.

What do you guys think?

that banner would look good if bunched in with the hand holding the pole, instead of dragging in the mud

Atia
01-03-2014, 14:41
nice so far =). As an Terran Veteran, will he have white armour parts alongside the purple? keep it up!

greetings,
atia :)

Tulkas
01-03-2014, 21:11
Sweet looking stuff! As Beppo said, I think one having the honor of carrying a Legion's banners would offer up comfort for glory, eg. he'd run with the banner high and certainly NOT draggin it through the mud, even if that means he'd have to run uncomfortable.

How that works out in a realistic pose, I have no idea :D Good luck!

MTSulla
09-04-2014, 23:28
Hi guys.

I must first of all apologies for neglecting my thread lately, I've been busy with things in the real-world, like, you know, work and stuff! But thanks for looking again guys, I'm loving getting all the feedback. By way of apology, I have produced a couple of timelines based on all the background info I can find the to go alongside this project. I have tried to be as accurate as I can with dates, and may have made some assumptions (such as the system names of twenty-eight-one and two, which are just known campaigns of the relevant period), but I think they are reasonable assumptions.

The first is a history of the III Legion from the end of the Unification Wars up until the Triumph of Ullanor (I will post this one very soon). The second is the same III Legion stuff, but I've also mapped out Aetius' career up until that point.

Here, in the wrong order, is the second.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Backgorund/ThecareerofAetiusLoculusGreatCrusade-Ullanor_zpsfb525d9c.jpg

In doing this, I have also realised that I made a mistake with the last bunch of progress shots. They represent Aetius during the defense of Tranquility, by which point, as you can see above, he had been promoted to Lieutenant. So I've missed out Decurion/Sergeant Aetius, but don't worry, I will rectify this! I have, what I think is a cool idea in mind, and a little outside of the box. Watch this space! Because of all this forward thinking, I have also made another decision about this slow-moving project... Drum-roll please....

AETIUS IS GOING TO FALL TO CHAOS! I can't resist the modelling opportunities that a Slaaneshi Champion, and then a daemon prince, present!

nice so far =). As an Terran Veteran, will he have white armour parts alongside the purple? keep it up!

greetings,
atia :)

Thanks Atia. No, he will definatley be purple, although there will be some white elements in all his iterations prior to the rediscovery of Chemos. My ideas for these elements are inspired by old Colonial European uniforms, you can see a couple ideas at the end of page 1. His heritage will also be apparent in his ever-evolving shoulder pad heraldry.

Sweet looking stuff! As Beppo said, I think one having the honor of carrying a Legion's banners would offer up comfort for glory, eg. he'd run with the banner high and certainly NOT draggin it through the mud, even if that means he'd have to run uncomfortable.

How that works out in a realistic pose, I have no idea :D Good luck!

Thanks! See below.

that banner would look good if bunched in with the hand holding the pole, instead of dragging in the mud

Yes, you are completely right. I knew the banner didn't look right, but I didn't know how to address it. I loved this idea as soon as I read it, so low and behold...

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Lieutenant%20Aetius/Picture4_zps39e44ab8.jpg

... This is the only bit of modelling I've managed to do latley, but I can't thank you enough for the idea Beppo! The banner pole itself need more work, but you get the idea!

Thanks for looking guys, I'm really glad of the encouragement!

MTSulla
17-04-2014, 14:35
Hi everyone.

I know I said in my last post how I've been busy lately, well I thought it was high-time I share some progress with you.

So Lieutenant Aetius is coming along nicely, and I have more-or-less finished sculpting his body and legs, so I figured I'd share!
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Lieutenant%20Aetius/Picture1_zpsb72bbd87.jpg

You can see that, as he is now a Lieutenant, he has nice customised Mark II Armour. Not massively, I'm hoping that his armour will develop as he is promoted higher and higher within the Legion. The custom elements are:

His knee pads are now a bit more angular, and his feet will match these, when I get around to giving him some toes,
His right knee know bears a half-halo too, an important aspect of his heraldry (I'm saying that the Emperor himself awarded him this honour as the lone survivor of Proxima, and also features on his updated heraldry shoulder pad),
A split tabard/loin cloth, to give him some movement, and finally
You can see the beginnings of the colonial-inspired elements (I drew at the end of the last page) on his chest.

I've also finished sculpting his heraldry, here it is next to my concept idea.
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Lieutenant%20Aetius/Picture2_zps5f4d0696.jpg

I've also decided to take Malikas advice, and have ordered some Forge World Etched Brass Imperial Eagles. I think they will be mega-useful, and will look better than my attempts at sculpting aquillas!

Thanks for looking, I hope you guys like it!

Asdrubael108
17-04-2014, 19:08
Love this tread! Can't wait to see more!!!

MTSulla
19-04-2014, 11:50
Love this tread! Can't wait to see more!!!

Thanks Asdrubael, I'm glad you like it. I've been planning all the future iterations of Aetius this week, and I'm so excited to keep on progressing. I had a look at some of your stuff, I'm really impressed with the weathering on your Vindicator, look great!

Thanks for looking!

MTSulla
22-04-2014, 16:49
Since I've had a bit more time to work on Lieutenant Aetius, I think I may actually start to paint tomorrow! I've now glued on his right arm and bolter, and I've finished sculpting all the green stuff details. I've added some brocade to further reinforce the colonial-uniform-vibe, held in place with a III Legion pin and I've mirrored these at the end of his split tabard. How much of these you will actually see, I'm not sure because they will end up tucked under his legs, after painting but hey-ho. The only conversion work left now is to attach an etched brass eagle to his left shoulder pad, but they haven't arrived yet... I'm excited to actually paint some purple now!

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Lieutenant%20Aetius/Picture2_zps3da5bf84.jpg
It's a bit blurry, sorry guys! Only working with an iPhone, but you get the idea.

Asdrubael108
22-04-2014, 17:21
Thats stunning!!! (Stands up and claps hands)

MTSulla
23-04-2014, 15:53
Thats stunning!!! (Stands up and claps hands)

Thanks! As always, I'm chuffed to receive the support!

I also thought I'd throw up another little update as I've managed to get a lot of the purple down on Lieutenant Aetius today, and I wanted to know what you guys think. I've gone for a very red purple, a bit more in line with the image I have in my mind of "Imperial Purple."

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Lieutenant%20Aetius/Picture3_zps4e506fa4.jpg

Obviously it still needs more highlighting, and the legs have only received the base coat, but I thought I'd let you guys know the direction I'm going with this, let me know what you think!

RTB01
24-04-2014, 03:06
Looking cracking so far, keep it going! In terms of white on the Ec generally what's the fluff behind it and where could I find it? Cheers!

Asdrubael108
24-04-2014, 06:56
Normaly I'm not such a fan of red-purple, but executed it perfectly! So no complaints from here!;)

MTSulla
24-04-2014, 10:10
Looking cracking so far, keep it going! In terms of white on the Ec generally what's the fluff behind it and where could I find it? Cheers!

I'm afraid I have taken some artistic licence here, RTB01. The whole pre-purple colour scheme is never directly discussed. That said however, the fluff (HHB1 - Betrayal, the IA article, and some of the HH fiction series: Fulgrim, Primarchs and Angel Exterminatus in particular) does categorically state that the III Legion wore the aquilla & lacquered their armour purple when accompanying diplomatic missions and emissaries as bodyguards or agents following the Proxima Betrayal (HHB1 ppg 102 - 104). This suggests that before then they weren't purple, and the image of the unification-era shoulder pad (191979 also from HHB1) was enough justification for me to go with the whole off-white thing. The white is not going to feature on all my models. Apologist raised some really good points in post #14 about the development of a Legion's aesthetics over the centuries, and I have decided to make up some background about Fulgrim doing some design work on the look of his Legion when he introduced the new Legion symbol, and I think I will probably do away with the white then. So far, the two models I have done are meant to be before the "Pheonician Reforms" (as I am now calling this re-branding), and so feature the white and the colonial-inspired look.

Normaly I'm not such a fan of red-purple, but executed it perfectly! So no complaints from here!;)

Thanks man! Glad you like it! I'm really not a fan if the usual purple you see on the EC, a bit too cartoon-ish for my liking.

Thanks for looking, and the C&Cs guys!

Spjuth
24-04-2014, 11:26
Nice sculpting!

Also I really like the amount of time you put into background fluff!

MTSulla
24-04-2014, 12:21
Nice sculpting!

Also I really like the amount of time you put into background fluff!

Thanks Spjuth! I'm a little obsessed with it, so I'm glad it is appreciated! I've also tried to gather all the background into a separate thread (link in my signature), if you're interested?

MTSulla
25-04-2014, 17:36
Just another little update from today. I finished all the purple, and made a start on the detailing, and I'm really pleased with how the purple makes the white pop. I'm so chuffed that it came out pretty much as it was in my head!

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Lieutenant%20Aetius/Picture5_zps94cd85f2.jpg

Also, my etched brass eagles from Forge World finally arrived, and Lieutenant Aetius has two, one on his left shoulder guard (not pictured) and one on his belt buckle. You might be able to just about make it out, although, like the half-halo on his right knee, it is painted brown in preparation for gold next week.

I hope you enjoy!

Asdrubael108
25-04-2014, 18:52
Lovely work! what are you gonna do on the banner? BTW what is the recipe for the white marine? Would love to know because he looks GREAT!!!

Macloren
25-04-2014, 19:10
Excellent work so far, both on the minis and the Fluff, I'm a massive fan of tru-scaling mariens, and I've done a few myself, though I've yet to finish one compleatly. I should really get a Plog together for them.

Looking forward to see how this project progresses. Keep up the good work man.

MTSulla
26-04-2014, 13:36
Lovely work! what are you gonna do on the banner? BTW what is the recipe for the white marine? Would love to know because he looks GREAT!!!

Thanks! Re the banner, an excellent question. Until I read your post, I hadn't even thought about it. So, I did some research into colonial British military banners, and have mashed them together with some of the Forge World Command squad examples on their website, and have come up with a couple of concepts.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Lieutenant%20Aetius/Picture4_zps432a0586.jpg

The rings are meant to be wreaths btw! Would love to know what you guys think. I have no idea how I'm actually going to paint this on, especially because the banner is gathered in Aetius' hand! Oh well, just better crack on I suppose.

The white marine was dead simple:

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Colour%20schemes/Picture6_zps9bae3cd1.jpg

Excellent work so far, both on the minis and the Fluff, I'm a massive fan of tru-scaling mariens, and I've done a few myself, though I've yet to finish one compleatly. I should really get a Plog together for them.

Looking forward to see how this project progresses. Keep up the good work man.

Cheers Macloren! It's good to hear, and I'm glad you're liking the background. True-scaling is a brilliant way to push your creativity and improve your modelling. I was really daunted before I started, but now I'm so glad I did! You should definitely start a plog, I, and I'm sure others, would love to see how you do yours.

Asdrubael108
26-04-2014, 14:17
Awesome man! Love the design for your banner! Also THANKS :angel: for the tut on the white, I'm probally going to do some World eaters, so that's gonna help! Thanks!

Macloren
27-04-2014, 09:39
Seconding what was said above, those banner concepts look awesome. Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

RTB01
27-04-2014, 12:09
thanks for your thoughts on that - looks ace and look forward to more progress!

MTSulla
29-04-2014, 17:33
Awesome man! Love the design for your banner! Also THANKS :angel: for the tut on the white, I'm probally going to do some World eaters, so that's gonna help! Thanks!
Cheers pal! I'm glad you like the white, although is more of a bone colour than a true white. For World Eaters, I'd think about switching out the Tau Light Ocre for Administratum Grey I think, but if you like it, go for it! It does look good next to blue, I used it for some Tau Honour Guard, and it makes the blue pop.

Seconding what was said above, those banner concepts look awesome. Looking forward to seeing the finished article.
Thanks man, I'm glad you like it. In the end, I went for the one on the left, even though it was more daunting, and I'm pretty pleased with the progress so far:

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Lieutenant%20Aetius/Picture1_zpsd282afee.jpg

The purple is currently only a basecoat, so will eventually look more like the armour. I hope you guys like it!

Asdrubael108
29-04-2014, 18:42
Loving it! How are you gonna do his base???

MTSulla
01-05-2014, 17:23
Loving it! How are you gonna do his base???

Thanks man, as always.

I'm not so sure about the base, they ain't my forte. I may buy one, or I may put more work into the one pictured in the earlier posts. Either way, because Aetius is meant to be fighting on Tranquility, it has to feature some rocks.

Anyway, this just a quick update, so progress shots...

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Lieutenant%20Aetius/Picture3_zps9a76f7ff.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Lieutenant%20Aetius/Picture2_zps9d4982f5.jpg

He's really not that far from being finished now, I've got to paint all the silver-metal bits (the shoulder pad trim & the metal parts of the bolter), finish the banner (a few touch-ups you cna see from the picture that need doing, the rear of the standard, the top, the pole and highlight the ropes on the front, the base (obviously) and a bit more black highlighting.

As you can see, the rear of the banner is a pretty large blank area, and I'd love some suggestions as to what to do with it. I've started a specific thread asking the question (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?393764-Painting-the-back-of-banners), but by all means, chime up either here or there, my imagination has drawn a blank...

As always, thanks for looking. I just noticed how many views this thread has had, and not only am I blown away by you guys who have posted responses (keep it up!), but I'm glad that it is of enough interest to some to click. Thanks!

LordKhaine
01-05-2014, 17:50
this is very cool plog!! ive been tempted to do this with a World Eater character that I keep recreating and writing back stories too, very inspirational, cant wait to see what else comes up!

MTSulla
07-05-2014, 14:54
this is very cool plog!! ive been tempted to do this with a World Eater character that I keep recreating and writing back stories too, very inspirational, cant wait to see what else comes up!

Thanks LordKaine! You should definitely do it! Figuring out the story, and planning all the different conversions has been great. I'm super excited about the next one. I've decided I will not be making the different iterations in order, I'm going for Aetius at his peak, before his fall to Chaos.

This is partially to help me, as I want the armour in all the models to visually evolve from one rank to the next, up until he is a Lord Commander (prior to fighting on Laer) and then it will evolve/de-evolve into something else as he falls to Chaos. So by modelling him at his "peak," I'll know where I need to go with all the other models!

Watch this space for my plans!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologist
07-05-2014, 15:53
The new version is turning out equally fantastic as the first. I've really been enjoying this blog – it's a really original idea executed really well.

I think you've got the right level of 'pomp' and decoration on him for this stage of his career. I'm guessing it'll get more flamboyant before his fall? You'll be able to have a lot of fun with asymmetrical customisation once he starts down the dark path, too :)

Asdrubael108
07-05-2014, 15:58
That looks very nice mate!!!!!!

MTSulla
16-05-2014, 10:23
The new version is turning out equally fantastic as the first. I've really been enjoying this blog – it's a really original idea executed really well.

I think you've got the right level of 'pomp' and decoration on him for this stage of his career. I'm guessing it'll get more flamboyant before his fall? You'll be able to have a lot of fun with asymmetrical customisation once he starts down the dark path, too :)

Thanks Apologist, that means a lot considering it was your Ultras that provided my biggest motivation to start this project. Yeah, that's pretty much the plan re level of flamboyance, and I couldn't be more excited to start the chaos versions!

That looks very nice mate!!!!!!

Cheer pal! Really appreciate your support!

So since my last post I've been thinking about the iteration of Aetius at his (loyalist) height, i.e. fighting on Laer. I had another look at the background I've written so far, and realised he won't be Lord Commander just yet (it's his fighting on Laer that got him promoted), he will in fact be Praefector of the Phoenix Guard, which still has a lot of scope for conversion and "pomp" as Apologist puts it.

I was thinking about the pose, and came across this image:

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/Picture2_zps53ab4e4e.jpg

I love the dynamism of the pose, and it reminded me that although Space Marines are so often depicted as being rather static, they certainly can move when required! Not to mention the challenges this pose will create when trying to convert. So with that in mind, this happened...

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/Picture3_zps6259d8aa.jpg

Looking forward to starting work on this...

Thanks for looking!

Bronislaw Czevak
16-05-2014, 23:47
Great progress so far, I love the deepness of the purple. I never liked the overly bright ones! Can't wait to see what you come up with on the Spacemarine box art conversion.

MTSulla
19-05-2014, 16:42
Great progress so far, I love the deepness of the purple. I never liked the overly bright ones! Can't wait to see what you come up with on the Spacemarine box art conversion.

Thanks Bronislaw! I'm glad you like the purple, because, like you, I'm not the biggest fan of bright purple EC.

All my components arrived over the weekend and this morning, and I couldn't help myself but start converting. You will all have to wait until tomorrow (when GS & glue has had chance to dry) before I show you my progress, but needless to say, I'm pleased so far. It's actually a simpler conversion than Lieutenant Aetius, which has surprised me...

Anyway, in the meantime, here are all the components that are going into him.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/Picture1_zps2d429dd1.jpg

You can see that the pose requires chopping up three pairs of legs! But, oh well, it's all bits box fodder anyway.

Keep your eyes peeled for day 1 progress tomorrow!

Thanks for looking.

Atia
19-05-2014, 17:29
nice so far sulla. just one question: from where are the forgeworld bit's? can you give me the link please :rolleyes:?

Asdrubael108
19-05-2014, 18:13
You are crazy... I like that! Can't wait to see how it turns out!!!!!!!:D

MTSulla
20-05-2014, 09:59
nice so far sulla. just one question: from where are the forgeworld bit's? can you give me the link please :rolleyes:?

Thanks Atia, TBH I use ebay mostly. There are so many sellers on there who sell individual GW & FW bits, all you have to do is type in, for example, "Emperors Children Phoenix Guard," and a variety of both individual components, completed kits, part-assembled models, and painted miniatures will turn up. I then look for sellers with a few parts I'm interested in, and browse their entire shops, as there are often bits that don't turn up in the searches. If you buy from the UK, US, Canada & Australia, in my experience they are all genuine. I try to use UK based sellers so I don't have to wait an age (and pay a fortune) for delivery. I can give you a list of sellers if you like? Sometimes I use http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/ but it is quite a popular site, so a lot of the parts are sold out, although they have a "notify me" service for when things come back into stock.

You are crazy... I like that! Can't wait to see how it turns out!!!!!!!:D

Thanks! Well, wait no longer...

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/Picture2_zps16b00bec.jpg

Progress, day 1.

I have an alternate bare head that I'm also working on, the crest is pretty big, and I will be doing more work on it... We'll see.

Stay tuned, and thanks for looking!

Bronislaw Czevak
20-05-2014, 23:42
Looks great so far, had to do a double take as he looked a little dwarfish, and then noticed he only has thighs atm!

Asdrubael108
21-05-2014, 15:38
MOAAARRRR!!!!;) I want moar of this crazy work! I'm loving it!!!

MTSulla
21-05-2014, 18:35
Looks great so far, had to do a double take as he looked a little dwarfish, and then noticed he only has thighs atm!

Haha! Yes, he does look a little on the short side! But don't worry, this is now rectified!

MOAAARRRR!!!!;) I want moar of this crazy work! I'm loving it!!!

Ask and ye shall receive Asdrubael!

Here he is so far.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/1_zpsc9768783.jpg

His left hand will be empty, not grabbing a blob of blu-tac on a cocktail stick btw...

I mentioned earlier that I was working on a bare head, well here are his two head options.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/2_zps8cd6ffcf.jpg

I'd love to know what you guys think! Preferences?

And finally, I did a little blu-tac mock-up, to give you guys an idea. Sorry it's a little blurry. iPhone pics...

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/3_zpsb53f5133.jpg

I'd really love some input on this, I will be adding some more "paper work" (long purity seals) to help with the sense of movement, and painting a lot of scroll work on his armour, but I'm not sure he is elaborate enough. Difficult to tell before paint I guess. What do you guys think. He is meant to be in command of a Primarchs bodyguard afterall (in power armour rather than terminator. Personal preference, fluff to follow).

Thanks for looking guys!

Bender
21-05-2014, 19:11
I'm loving your work all the way, and to start with I wouldn't be able to do what you are doing...

but to be honest I'm not very keen on the bare head, don't know why, but the helmeted head is superb and altough the bare head is great I don't think it is fitted for a commander, it is not imposing enough!

but I do love your work!

Phytrion
21-05-2014, 19:49
That Praefector is incredibly impressive. I love how you did the crest too, it scales up quite well.

Asdrubael108
23-05-2014, 06:18
That is....... perfection....:eek:

Apologist
23-05-2014, 08:59
He's fantastic – the pose works perfectly, and combines a neat homage to a great piece of artwork with a very distinctive and well-thought out identity.

The crest works really nicely. Though I'd prefer it to be a little more integrated into the curve of the helm, that's a personal choice, and it looks good as it. The bare head, while nicely converted (is that a samurai-style hair cut?) doesn't work quite as well for me. It think that may be because the basic head is very different to the one used for the earlier iteration of Aetius. Since the intention is that he's the same person throughout and, as one of the Emperor's Children, is going to remain 'perfect', I'd suggest further bare heads use the same (or similar) head as the first.

In this case, the helmeted head is so spectacular that I'd stick with it. It really gives the figure presence and a sense of 'pomp' without being over the top; and it works well as an in-combat version of Aetius at the height of his Imperial loaylty. However, perhaps there's space for a non-combatant version, with his helm tucked proudly under his arm?

As Aetius falls to the blandishments of Slaanesh, I'm sure he'll start mockingly removing his helm in combat, so there's plenty of space for future bare-headedness... :)

Bronislaw Czevak
24-05-2014, 20:35
Looks great now he has legs! the whole thing has come together very nicely. What did you have in mind for the base?

MTSulla
28-05-2014, 12:38
I'm loving your work all the way, and to start with I wouldn't be able to do what you are doing...

but to be honest I'm not very keen on the bare head, don't know why, but the helmeted head is superb and altough the bare head is great I don't think it is fitted for a commander, it is not imposing enough!

but I do love your work!

Thanks Bender! I do see what you mean, the bare head is a little underwhelming, I thought maybe the crested helmet was TOO much, but this model is meant to represent the leader of Fulgrims personal guard, so is there really such as thing as "too much?"

That Praefector is incredibly impressive. I love how you did the crest too, it scales up quite well.

Thanks Phytrion, I'm now convinced to go for the helmet + crest.

That is....... perfection....:eek:

Thanks Asdrubael, as always! Really appreciate the love!

He's fantastic – the pose works perfectly, and combines a neat homage to a great piece of artwork with a very distinctive and well-thought out identity.

The crest works really nicely. Though I'd prefer it to be a little more integrated into the curve of the helm, that's a personal choice, and it looks good as it. The bare head, while nicely converted (is that a samurai-style hair cut?) doesn't work quite as well for me. It think that may be because the basic head is very different to the one used for the earlier iteration of Aetius. Since the intention is that he's the same person throughout and, as one of the Emperor's Children, is going to remain 'perfect', I'd suggest further bare heads use the same (or similar) head as the first.

In this case, the helmeted head is so spectacular that I'd stick with it. It really gives the figure presence and a sense of 'pomp' without being over the top; and it works well as an in-combat version of Aetius at the height of his Imperial loaylty. However, perhaps there's space for a non-combatant version, with his helm tucked proudly under his arm?

As Aetius falls to the blandishments of Slaanesh, I'm sure he'll start mockingly removing his helm in combat, so there's plenty of space for future bare-headedness... :)

Thanks Aplogist! I see what you mean about the curve of the crest and how it fits with the helmet. I was my original idea to have the crest sit flush to the helm, but the curvature's different so I had to make it stand proud.

Yeah, I was going for a samurai vibe, but the face is completely different, you're right. I do have more of the sanguinary guard heads, like on the Legionary, but tbh, I hate the hair.

I have an idea for a separate model with his helmet under his arm (probably Lieutenant Commander Aetius), I might give him some samurai hair.

Looks great now he has legs! the whole thing has come together very nicely. What did you have in mind for the base?

An excellent question Bronislaw, which leads me to something I've been working on. I love how the original artwork has the marine face-palming an ork. But Aetius isn't meant to be fighting orks, he's on Laeran. With that in mind, I found this description on the warhammer40k.wikia.com site(presumably based on the Fulgrim novel) "The Laer were often tall and sinuous, with a snake-like lower body common to their species, and muscular thoraxes sheathed in silver armour, from which sprouted two pairs of limbs. The upper arms bore long, lightning-wreathed Power Blades, while the lower arms wielded crackling gauntlets that fired lethal green energy bolts. Their heads were insect-like and bulbous, with glossy, multi-faceted eyes and jutting mandibles that produced a grating screech when they attacked," which resulted in this... I think it looks like a Susan, so there you go.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/1_zpsf2199804.jpg

Susan still needs more work, (extra arms mostly), but it's heading in the right direction!

The intention is to have Aetius palming off the Laer, something like this.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/1_zpse62a1159.jpg

The position's not perfect (blu-tack ain't ideal for this), but you get the idea.

Enjoy! Thanks for looking.

Bender
28-05-2014, 14:06
Susan is indeed what we might expect from a Laer (at least what I've imagined them) much like the steeds of slaanesh, specially the old boob steed!

Great work!

Asdrubael108
28-05-2014, 14:31
:eek: I want more of this!

Lost Egg
29-05-2014, 06:54
Awesome Laer kitbash, I'd love to see an army of these guys.

MTSulla
06-06-2014, 10:44
Susan is indeed what we might expect from a Laer (at least what I've imagined them) much like the steeds of slaanesh, specially the old boob steed!

Great work!

Yeah, I remember the old boobalicious steed, and whilst I like the look of the model, I'm not really a fan of boob-heavy warriors... I think this is a happy compromise!

:eek: I want more of this!

I'm afraid you might have to wait a little while Asdrubael! I've been away all week with work (so no progress) and am off on holiday for two weeks next week, so I wouldn't expect much progress until July. Sorry!

Awesome Laer kitbash, I'd love to see an army of these guys.

I'm pleased with how the Laer turned out, although it's pretty large. An army of these would be truly terrifying! Simple enough conversion though, so it would definitely be possible!

So, as I said above, progress has been, and will remain, slow throughout June, so in order to compensate I borrowed a decent camera and took some decent quality shots of Legionary Aetius, as I haven't actually posted any of him 100% complete. So, enjoy!

“I have conducted further research with Enio, and have been able to identify and enhance a number of pict-captures of Legionary Aetius whilst on Proxima. I am rather pleased with the improved resolution of these images, as I feel it brings me closer to the subject of my study.

Unfortunately Silvanus is no longer responding to my communications. I fear he is no longer a reliable information source. The last I saw of him was prior to the compliance of Twenty-Eight-Three, and as I’ve stated earlier in this log, there has been a distinct change in the atmosphere aboard ship. Those Astartes and remembrancers who descended to the surface of Laeran are not as they once were. Locking themselves away, either in a self-imposed solitary confinement, or conducting gatherings with only other veterans of the campaign or Laeran-exposed remembrancers.

Still, differences in experiences will mean a more rounded documentation of this expedition, so I must continue with my endeavor. Hopefully my efforts will find their way to the Great Aetius himself. I understand he is currently Praefector of the Pheonix Guard, although there is talk of a promotion away from Fulgrims Honour Guard, as a Lord Commander in his own right. His service on Laer must have been exemplary.”

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Legionary%20Aetius/Picture12_zps68283010.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Legionary%20Aetius/Picture8_zpse37ecd40.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Legionary%20Aetius/Picture9_zps68b2be21.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Legionary%20Aetius/Picture10_zps814c7833.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Legionary%20Aetius/Picture2_zps2a7c8c62.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Legionary%20Aetius/Picture4_zpsa0fb83ea.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Legionary%20Aetius/Picture6_zpsb88c9934.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Legionary%20Aetius/Picture7_zpsc5210cd1.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Legionary%20Aetius/Picture3_zps58ad0376.jpg

MTSulla
06-06-2014, 10:47
Double post! (Too many pictures for a single one!)

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Legionary%20Aetius/Picture5_zps08a8a13e.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Legionary%20Aetius/Picture1_zpsd67637dc.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Gamma310
06-06-2014, 10:52
Amazing close-ups you managed to make with this camera. I admire your painting and building skills and I can't wait to see more of this guy.

Atia
06-06-2014, 13:40
superb sulla :)

can't wait to see your next marine (and the laer) painted =)

Asdrubael108
06-06-2014, 13:45
AWESOME!!!! Love it mate!

MTSulla
06-06-2014, 13:46
Amazing close-ups you managed to make with this camera. I admire your painting and building skills and I can't wait to see more of this guy.

superb sulla :)

can't wait to see your next marine (and the laer) painted =)

Thanks guys, it was definitely worth using something better than my iPhone camera!It's just a shame you can make out a dog hair in a couple of them!

I MAY get Lieutenant Aetius finished before I go on holiday, as all I have is the base, the silver/gun metal bits, and a couple of finishing details to do on the banner, but I can't make any promises!

Thanks for looking.

MTSulla
01-07-2014, 14:56
AWESOME!!!! Love it mate!

Thanks man! Sorry I missed you in my last post.

Well, I've just come back off holiday, and feel like an update is looooooong overdue. Unfortunatley, what with being on holiday, and work, I don't have a whole lot to share. That said, I have been working on Lieutenant Aetius' base. What do you guys think? Going for a marshey-vibe.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Lieutenant%20Aetius/Picture1_zps04d79e73.jpg

I'm affraid that's it, although I am hoping to get Lieutenant Aetius finished soon. All that remains (apart from the base) is painting the silver/gun metal, a few finishing touches on the banner, a bit of mud splatter, and I've decided to paint the gun white rather than black (I'm loving the purple/white combo).

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks for looking!

Bender
01-07-2014, 15:40
That is a really great base work! Simple but solid as a base!

and now hurry up and get the other guy done!!!

That said, I forbid you from going on a hollyday! Because you still have work to do!!!

Bob Hunk
01-07-2014, 16:26
Cool! :cool: I'm looking forward to seeing more of the Laer.

Phatsquirre1
01-07-2014, 18:26
Wow...

Love the legionary and the Laer! Great job on both, and I can't wait to see more.

Subbed.

MTSulla
03-07-2014, 16:30
That is a really great base work! Simple but solid as a base!

and now hurry up and get the other guy done!!!

That said, I forbid you from going on a hollyday! Because you still have work to do!!!

Haha, thanks man! I'm glad you like the base, I didn't really know where to go with it!

Cool! :cool: I'm looking forward to seeing more of the Laer.

Thanks Bob!

Wow...

Love the legionary and the Laer! Great job on both, and I can't wait to see more.

Subbed.

Cheers Squirrel!

Well hopefully, you won't have to wait too long. I am now stocked up on purple paint! Although I am very keen to get get on with Praefector Aetius, I'm so close to finishing Lieutenant Aetius, it would be a travesty not to get him out of the way first.

As for the Laer, I think I'm going to wait until I've finished Aetius as I'm unsure what primary colour to paint her. A lot of her will be silver (they wore silver armour, but I'm not sure about the flesh tone, I want the two models to complement each other), and the obvious choice, I think, will be white, but I'm not convinced it's the right choice... I was hoping that if Aetius was finished, that might inspire me!

Thanks for looking guys! I've also just started a new thread for the closest thing I have to an actual army, my Tau (link here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?396903-A-New-Frontier-Tau-expeditionary-force)). Please, go take a look, and hit me up with some C&Cs. But don't fear, it's THIS project that has all my attention at the moment.

Apologist
04-07-2014, 10:04
Pinky-white should look nice along blue-tinted silver for the Laer, but have you considered looking at fish or amphibians for inspiration? Eitehr bright patterned flesh fading to a white belly, or perhaps a pearlescent effect?

MTSulla
10-07-2014, 16:40
Pinky-white should look nice along blue-tinted silver for the Laer, but have you considered looking at fish or amphibians for inspiration? Eitehr bright patterned flesh fading to a white belly, or perhaps a pearlescent effect?

This is why I love this forum. I was really stuck for inspiration, and then this little (obvious, now you've said it Apologist!) suggestion has come up trumps, so thanks man! I had decided I fancied yellow, as it's complimentary to purple, and goes with all the colours that'll be on Aetius, and it didn't take much googleing to find these.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/Picture1_zps3f40d273.jpg
I'll need to experiment to see how I can incorporate different elements into the Laer, but some kind of mixtures of the colouration/patterning of these three creatures is the direction I'm heading towards.

In other news, I've been swamped with work lately, so haven't had much chance to get much done. Lieutenant Aetius is doing alright, his base is nearly done, and he's had his first coat of silver and a wash applied on all the metalic parts, so hopefully he'll be done soon. And I have picked up more purple, so I can begin Praefector Aetius as soon as Lieutenant Aetius is finished off.

Thanks for looking, I really wish I had more for you guys!

Gamma310
10-07-2014, 19:54
These pictures look promising. I like the idea of a very colourful Laer next to a purple Space Marine. Can't wait to see more of your Marines.

Phatsquirre1
11-07-2014, 00:18
I have to say, seeing Susan (I'm liking the name already) in the same colors as the lizard on the top left would look amazing...but then again, so would the fish's colors.

Also, I know that in Fulgrim the Laer revered Slaanesh...will Susan reflect that?

Great job so far, waiting eagerly. :)

MTSulla
30-07-2014, 20:05
“I have gathered more information from Ennio and the archivist regarding Aetius. Although the information I am receiving is, unfortunately, not chronological. The next data packet discusses Aetius’ performance in 815.M30 on the world of Tranquility, fighting alongside Horus and the XVI Legion.

It seems that at some point prior to the rediscovery of Chemos, he was reassigned to the command of Centurion Rylanor of the XVI Company. Following the loss of the +Transcript missing+… now one of only 200 Legionaries, Aetius and a number of other line officers found themselves rising into the higher echelons of the Legion. This was met with some... +Transcript missing+ ...Eidolon termed "new-men"... +Transcript missing+ ... strategically important outer plant of Tranquility.

Legend tells how the smallest Legion of the fledgling Imperium were outnumbered by a vast number of xenos on the world of Tranquility. Under the command of the newly promoted Lieutenant Commander Rylanor, the XVI company were forced to make a tactical withdrawal to the surrounding rock fissures. The withdrawal, however, was but a rouse, and the III Legion used repeated retreat-feints to launch devastating attacks on the overwhelming alien horde. Using the maze of natural rock formations, the Emperor's Children, with only the strength of a single battalion, we're able to completely annihilate the enemy. Amongst the most celebrated of the Astartes present on the killing fields of Tranquility was Aetius Loculus. The Lieutenant Commander’s subaltern, now Lieutenant, was fighting in a vicious melee alongside the Company Standard Bearer, Petronius Chaephon, when a stray xenos shot hit Chaephon in the head, rendering his helmet useless. Struggling to remove his helm, the bearer was set upon by a vast number of xenos, and was overwhelmed. Still riddled with the shame of seeing the Cohort standard fall on Proxima, Aetius seized it before it hit the ground, but the men under the Lieutenant’s command could do little to relieve him. Assuming his end was near, Aetius held the banner aloft, and threw himself into the swarm of xenos. Little is known of the events that followed, although it was whispered that the rocky outcrops seemed to radiate a peculiar glow, and when there were no xenos left standing, Lieutenant Aetius later returned to Rylanor with nothing but damaged armour, an empty bolter, and the company banner."

By way of appology for the lack of updates recently, I've got some finished pictures of Lieutenant Aetius.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Lieutenant%20Aetius/Picture1_zps83c12bae.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Lieutenant%20Aetius/Picture6_zps9daf18e5.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Lieutenant%20Aetius/Picture7_zpsce4fb018.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Lieutenant%20Aetius/Picture4_zps7553d4f2.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Lieutenant%20Aetius/Picture5_zps8e82ce1c.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Lieutenant%20Aetius/Picture3_zps6d867c5e.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Lieutenant%20Aetius/Picture2_zpsba1269f0.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Lieutenant%20Aetius/Picture8_zps56bab5ef.jpg

These pictures look promising. I like the idea of a very colourful Laer next to a purple Space Marine. Can't wait to see more of your Marines.

Thanks Gamma! I agree, I'm excited to see it myself.

I have to say, seeing Susan (I'm liking the name already) in the same colors as the lizard on the top left would look amazing...but then again, so would the fish's colors.

Also, I know that in Fulgrim the Laer revered Slaanesh...will Susan reflect that?

Great job so far, waiting eagerly. :)

Yeah, I think I'm going to go for the yellow gecko for Susan, the fish looks good, but would be difficult to replicate well I think. I'm not sure how overtly Slaanesh will be reflected in her, I deliberately didn't use the (obvious) Slaaneshi-snake-with-boobs, but I might throw in a couple of the symbols, but fairly subtly. I'll have to see what happens when I paint I think!

Thanks for looking guys!

Phatsquirre1
30-07-2014, 20:46
Firstly, great job on Lieutenant Loculus, sir. As much as I love the purple and white armor, what I can't get over is how good the Aquila on his shoulder looks. :D

Secondly, I was thinking the boob-snake might have been a *little* too much Slaanesh, plus Susan looks good as is. I'd definitely like to see your take on the slaaneshi symbols (if you end up doing them), and although the fish certainly does "riotous blend of colors" better, the yellow will look great, i'm sure.

Can't wait to see more :)

MTSulla
04-08-2014, 14:10
Firstly, great job on Lieutenant Loculus, sir. As much as I love the purple and white armor, what I can't get over is how good the Aquila on his shoulder looks. :D

Secondly, I was thinking the boob-snake might have been a *little* too much Slaanesh, plus Susan looks good as is. I'd definitely like to see your take on the slaaneshi symbols (if you end up doing them), and although the fish certainly does "riotous blend of colors" better, the yellow will look great, i'm sure.

Can't wait to see more :)

Thank you Squirrel! Although Forge Worlds etched brass has to take the credit for the aquilla, I just painted it! And thanks for the vote of confidence in the Laer colour scheme.

I thought, as I've been rubbish about updates recently, I thought I'd put up todays progress on Praefector Aetius.

I've decided to give him a kind of cloak, firstly to denote his rank as leader of Fulgrims bodyguard, secondly to make him look more ostentatious, but also to get more movement into the model. This guy is meant to be leaping through the air, so I added some more long, trailing purity seals all over the shop a while ago, but thought this sort of cloak thing would help too. So I set about it with the tomato puree tube (this stuff really is fantastic for banners, tabards, purity seals etc) and have painted the lining:

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/Picture2_zps44885fd1.jpg

I felt that the lining deserved just as much attention as the outside, so I was pretty ambitious, but I think it's paid off, and I'm pretty pleased. It was surprising simple to do.

You can also see how the cloak lies with his body. I might try and tuck it in a little closer to his body, I'm not sure. I'll see once his arms are attached.

I decided to go yellow on the inside (the outside will be white, probably with purple detailing) as it looks good with white, purple and gold that will be elsewhere on him, but also because it should tie in with the Laer when I get around to her.

You can also see I've made a start on his purple armour, but that's just a basecoat ATM.

Thanks for looking, and hit me up with some C&C's, always love the ideas I get on here.

MTSulla
08-08-2014, 16:40
Hey guys,

After my disappointing lack of progress lately, I've been doing my best to get back on it. So, since the cloak I posted earlier this week, I have completed painting all the purple and gold on his body and legs, and have attached the cloak parts and backpack (more on that below). So, without further adieu...

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/Picture1_zps0ba95f15.jpg

Just an iPhone pic I'm afraid, but you get the idea. The helmet isn't complete, but I decided to do it white to differentiate him from the version of Aetius when he is just a regular Phoenix Guard member, whenever I get around to making him. Obviously he is in power armour, rather than terminator armour, and has a power sword rather than a halberd, but when I write the background for this particular model, I'll say it was his personal preference, as Praefector.

I also mentioned the backpack above, and I've done some work on that.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/Picture3_zps2d172690.jpg

The main feature here is the halo, (which is something of a personal emblem for Aetius) surrounding an eye of Horus, to mark his service alongside the Warmaster and the Lunar Wolves/ Sons in the past. I've also gone a little wild with the tomato puree tube and added two long purity seals (with green stuff wax) and a substantial piece of parchment that represents the Phoenix Guard oath of moment. There is also a green stuff brocade, that'll attach to the top of his arm, under the shoulder pad (something I intend to be a running theme, and you can see the beginnings of it on Lieutenant Aetisu). All these accoutrements are meant to help with the sense of movement. He is leaping through the air after all.

Thanks for looking guys!

Gonfrask
08-08-2014, 22:58
Wow!! Amazing mate!

MTSulla
12-08-2014, 08:09
Wow!! Amazing mate!

Thanks pal! I'm pleased with how he's turning out.

In other news, I mentioned earlier on this page I had no idea what I was going to use for a base, but I found the perfect one on ebay. When I saw it it screamed "surface of Laeran" to me! It also pushed me to finish converting Susan [the Laer], so she is now assembled, with all four arms, based, and ready for paint.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/1_zps1df5a1c6.jpg

Enjoy! let me know your C&Cs.

Idun
12-08-2014, 09:35
i must say, this is all beyond awesome!!

MTSulla
13-08-2014, 17:19
Little update for today, I've finished the base. Upon closer inspection, there were a few little critters on the base, so I have painted them as lesser Laer lifeforms, and thus they were perfect for practicing my chosen scheme for Susan.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/Picture1_zps60da23c4.jpg

What do you guys think about the rim of the base? I'm not too sure about the colour... Maybe a little insipid?? I couldn't think of an appropriate colour?

Idun
13-08-2014, 21:19
honestly i think a black base rim would look great. But then again that is just what i think. I almost always paint my base rims in black.

MTSulla
19-08-2014, 09:40
honestly i think a black base rim would look great. But then again that is just what i think. I almost always paint my base rims in black.

Yeah, I can see the appeal of a black base, my only concern is that it will contrast too much... I think I will give it a go though, as I'm not too happy with the current colour.

I've not made all that much progress latley I'm afraid. I spent a whole day working on Susan, mostly on getting the yellow down, but man, yellow is no fun to paint. I don't envy Imperial Fist collectors one little bit! On top of that, I dropped her about 5 times, and got thoroughly fed up. Anyway, this is her progress so far.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/1_zpsbba82ae4.jpg

As you can see, I've only done her tail and body (you can see through the rib cage armour), so still have to do arms and head, and then get on with her armour. I'm not sure about the what colour to do the spines on her back, hence not even an undercoat as yet. I will probably wait to see what I think is missing once the rest is done, but I'd love some input guys!

In order to reinvigorate my enthusiasm, I thought I'd share here, and get on with the rest of the gold on Aetius himself. I also need to find some inspiration for some sort of pattern on the outside of his cloak, paint his Oath of Moment, and he is about done, minus shoulder pads and sword. I'll get an updated picture of him soon.

Thanks for looking!

Thrillhouse
19-08-2014, 12:22
Man, you are very, very good at this. I really need to re-read that book. (Is it in fulgrim they face the Laer?)

deathwing_marine
20-08-2014, 03:52
Very nice stuff, MTSulla. I would go for Bestial Brown on the base rims.

MTSulla
21-08-2014, 10:43
Man, you are very, very good at this. I really need to re-read that book. (Is it in fulgrim they face the Laer?)

Cheers pal! Yeah, it's Fulgrim, and a fantastic book.

Very nice stuff, MTSulla. I would go for Bestial Brown on the base rims.

Cheers man, and thanks for the base tip, I will be experimenting with that soonish!

Just a little update on Susan. She has a face now, and some painted armour, so I'm going to move onto the black segments now, before I have to bring myself to paint more yellow on her arms...

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/Picture1_zps531310c0.jpg

You can also see that I've attached one of Aetius' arms, ready for the final set up of this duel.

Thanks for looking!

Dourin
21-08-2014, 14:00
That looks ace. Suitably creepy and alien. Deserving of the Emperor's Wrath. ;)

Gamma310
22-08-2014, 16:00
I've been on holiday for two weeks and you produce this stunning beauty. I really love your work.

MTSulla
22-08-2014, 17:45
That looks ace. Suitably creepy and alien. Deserving of the Emperor's Wrath. ;)

Cheer man! Definitely deserves the Big Es wrath, and is extra creepy when you see her with all four of her arms... Stay tuned!

I've been on holiday for two weeks and you produce this stunning beauty. I really love your work.

Thanks pal. How's your army coming along? Any progress?

Well I've been neglecting Aetius on this thread this week, so I thought I better share his progress with you all.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/Picture3_zps4df4e170.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/Picture1_zps7b04f252.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/Picture2_zps599746b5.jpg

As you can see, he's progressing rather nicely, and I only really have finishing touches left, oh, and his sword. I'm really pleased with the detailing on his cloak, I think it adds a nice texture, rather than just being a flat colour cloaks etc seem to usually be. Need to get push on and get Susan to a similar state of near-completess, so I can attach the two...

I've also started planning the next iteration of Aetius, and I will probably be jumping forward a few years, circa 014.M31...

Thanks for looking.

Gamma310
22-08-2014, 19:14
After Tuesday (Bachelor thesis presentation) I'll be ready to present some update. I might start a blog on warseer to get some feedback.

The white helmet is a very nice idea and fits with your purple. But the best part on him is the cloak. The texture looks really great and I wish I could paint anything like that.

014.M31 should be right in the heresy, close to the battle for terra?

MTSulla
29-08-2014, 17:32
After Tuesday (Bachelor thesis presentation) I'll be ready to present some update. I might start a blog on warseer to get some feedback.

The white helmet is a very nice idea and fits with your purple. But the best part on him is the cloak. The texture looks really great and I wish I could paint anything like that.

Yeah, you should DEFINITELY start a thread on here. It is so, so useful getting feedback etc on here. I hope your presentation went well!

Yeah, I'm a massive fan of the purple/white combo. Thanks, I'm really chuffed with the cloak too. It's actually surprisingly simple to do, just a lot of straight lines.

And you are correctamundo! Seige of Terra Aetius is up next. I've started a new plog for him over in the Chaos forum, here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?399535-A-Warriors-Progression-part-2-The-Fall-A-true-scale-Emperors-Children-project)'s the link, go check it out. Quite a departure from him at the height befoe Slaanesh got him.

MTSulla
29-08-2014, 17:33

Yeah, you should DEFINITELY start a thread on here. It is so, so useful getting feedback etc on here. I hope your presentation went well!

Yeah, I'm a massive fan of the purple/white combo. Thanks, I'm really chuffed with the cloak too. It's actually surprisingly simple to do, just a lot of straight lines.

And you are correctamundo! Seige of Terra Aetius is up next. I've started a new plog for him over in the Chaos forum, here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?399535-A-Warriors-Progression-part-2-The-Fall-A-true-scale-Emperors-Children-project)'s the link, go check it out. Quite a departure from him at the height before Slaanesh got him.

MTSulla
01-09-2014, 10:37
Little update on Praefector Aetius.

Well, that's a lie, it's actually an update on Susan. Who is now completely finished!

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/Picture3_zps1a209a23.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/Picture2_zps625505d0.jpg

I hope you like her!

As you can see, Aetius' left arm is attached grabbing onto one of Susan's horns, and I am happy to report, he is having his body glues to said arm which was the final assembly stage I needed to complete in order to finish of the final details, which are as follows:

All the gold on his left arm, shoulder pad, and sword
The white on his sword handle,
His sword blade,
The script on his Oath of Moment,
A few gemstones here-and-there, and
Touching up any purple that has worn during handling.

So, to summarise, I'm close now!

Thanks for looking!

Gamma310
07-09-2014, 19:06
Really really great job on the Laer and Aetius.

And I got the hint. A few minutes ago I took some shots of my army and opened a Thread: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?399893-30k-The-10th-Millennial-of-the-Third-Legion:

MTSulla
11-09-2014, 11:21
Really really great job on the Laer and Aetius.

And I got the hint. A few minutes ago I took some shots of my army and opened a Thread: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?399893-30k-The-10th-Millennial-of-the-Third-Legion:

Good work! I'm going to head over there right after posting this!

But, I have an exciting update, I've finished Praefector Aetius, finally! I'm going to let the pictures do the talking I think, first up, the complete model(s)

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/Picture1_zps00f7f06d.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/Picture2_zps062a868e.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/Picture3_zpsd87cba2a.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/Picture4_zps467569a1.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/Picture5_zps67089c71.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/Picture6_zpsd211efbe.jpg

I hope you guys like, a couple of detail shots next.

MTSulla
11-09-2014, 11:42
And now for some detail shots, first up, a close up of the big man himself.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/Picture7_zps5d53070e.jpg

Unfortunately, I just couldn't get the colours right in the photo. The highlights are more apparent in real-life, but I couldn't not post a close up of him!

Next up is his sword. This (well actually, Susan's were practices) is the first time I've attempted a cheats NMM technique, and I'm pretty pleased with the end result.
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/Picture8_zpsae5fd205.jpg
I actually think this looks better in he picture than in reality!

Next is his cloak detailing. I was really happy with how this turned out, I didn't want to do a single colour fabric. That isn't how the IIIrd Legion rolls!
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/Picture9_zpse49aa8c3.jpg

Next up is his back pack.
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/Picture10_zps59aa127d.jpg
You can see at the top here, and there is a halo, something of a piece of personal insignia for Aetius, and an Eye of Horus (because of his service with the Luna Wolves and his membership in the Brotherhood of the Phoenix). Lower down, a couple of long trailing purity seals (clearer in other shots tbh) and a couple of brocades, trying him in with the earlier iterations, like Lieutenant Aetius, and a large parchment, representing the Phoenix Guards Oath of Moment. These three embellishments I added to add to the sense of movement, like he was really flying through the air. This is clearer in the cloak detail (above), and heraldry detail (below) shots.

That brings me nicely onto his personal heraldry. A lot of free-handing on this model, and it wasn't always fun!
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/Picture11_zps2c75560d.jpg

And finally, a little detail on the base.
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad195/MTSulla/Prafector%20Aetius%20of%20the%20Phoenix%20Guard/Picture12_zps9a864d5b.jpg
I found these awesome Roman-esque shields (from Scibor) and thought they were perfect for the Emperors Children, so got a set, added a bit of battle damage (two slashes from the Laer's two blades, and a weird blast-damagey bit, from her other weapons, as per the HH novel Fulgrim). You'll see another of these shields in a future iteration of Aetius as just a regular member of the Phoenix Guard.

This represents Aetius at his loyalist-height, and, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I have now begun work on the first Chaos version. I'm documenting this in a different thread (here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?399535-A-Warriors-Progression-part-2-The-Fall-A-true-scale-Emperors-Children-project)) in the Chaos project log sections, so if you need more Aetius, you'll have to go follow that thread (shameless-self-plug) until I begin working on a loyalist version again. I'll let you know as soon as I do though!

I really hope you guys like him, I am really, very chuffed with how he's come out. It's exactly what I wanted from this project, it has really, REALLY pushed me, and I am so happy with the result.

Let me know what you guys think!

Gamma310
11-09-2014, 12:08
Wow, the final result is plain awesomeness. The heroic hero of the Great Crusade batteling with unpure Xenos.
The colours of the Lear are a nice contrast to the royal purple of Aetius and make him look even more like the hero he is.
Can't wait to see more of your stunning work. You're a great inspiration for my own Children. :)

Chewmeister
11-09-2014, 12:28
WOAH! Absolutely stunning!

Apologist
11-09-2014, 13:07
Gorgeous work; but I think we've all come to expect that from you :)
A true exemplar of the III!

MTSulla
12-09-2014, 16:56
Wow, the final result is plain awesomeness. The heroic hero of the Great Crusade batteling with unpure Xenos.
The colours of the Lear are a nice contrast to the royal purple of Aetius and make him look even more like the hero he is.
Can't wait to see more of your stunning work. You're a great inspiration for my own Children. :)

As always Gamma, thank you.

WOAH! Absolutely stunning!

Cheers man!

Gorgeous work; but I think we've all come to expect that from you :)
A true exemplar of the III!

Thanks Apologist, means a lot.

The amount of support and encouragement I'm getting for this series is really blowing me away, it means a lot, thank you all!

*Gush over*

I don't know when I'll have a new model to share with you guys, as I'm currently working on the version of Aetius during the Siege of Terra. But go check that out on my Chaos version of this log here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?399535-A-Warriors-Progression-part-2-The-Fall-A-true-scale-Emperors-Children-project).

Thanks for looking and commenting!

unwanted
12-09-2014, 17:37
Spectacular. Had been waiting 'till now with commenting, it is truely outstanding work you've been presenting!

Gonfrask
13-09-2014, 12:58
Really good model, I need a "like it" button

MTSulla
15-09-2014, 15:38
Spectacular. Had been waiting 'till now with commenting, it is truely outstanding work you've been presenting!

Cheers man, good to have you along. Don't be shy lurkers! Get posting! (Any feedback is good feedback!)

Really good model, I need a "like it" button

Cheers pal!

MTSulla
23-05-2015, 18:34
I just wanted to share a bit of an update on where I currently am with this project. As you will have noticed, I've not updated for an age. The reason for this is that I've started taking on commission work, and I've decided to use the proceeds of this work to actually build an army.

I had such a blast making the chaos version of Aetius, I want to build an army to go with him, and so I have begun a Slave War-era Emperors Children army. If you're interested, I've got a project log for it here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409122

I hope I do return to this project, as it would be great to see it through, but for now, I'm working on the army.

Thanks for tagging along and for all the amazing comments, it really has kept me going and, in a round-about sort of way, lead to my commission work, which I love!

Do check out the army, it won't be quick, but it is quite ambitious, and is sure to be a lot of fun!

Thanks again!