PDA

View Full Version : A fun little self exam.

SteveW
13-01-2014, 17:02
So during my time here I've noticed that players fall into one of three archetypes.

(A)The Comper: Thinks warhammer is broken and only he knows how to fix it. This often includes telling other people what is acceptable to bring to battle against him.

(B)The sky is falling: Every new rumor spells the end of warhammer as we know it and if any of them are true they will ragequit.

(C)The powergamer: Only takes the very best option the internet says is top dog and derides others for taking "sub-optimal" lists while taking credit for any and all wins done with his list.

Now before people stat calling me a troll, let me finish by saying I fall into category (B) and am curious if others are honest enough to place themselves into these not so flattering Archtypes.

The bearded one
13-01-2014, 17:05
No soft/casual/fluffy option, who doesn't care for optimization?

iamjack42
13-01-2014, 17:11

Second. These are all examples of the people I disagree with. I don't care about optimization, I dislike comp, and I get excited about rumors!

IcedCrow
13-01-2014, 17:12
I think your options are the hardcore socially-deficient types.

I am the type that recognizes that the game as a whole has issues and has made the choice to either find a new game, or make the game enjoyable for me. To achieve that I first found a group of people that think along the same lines, and then found a couple modifications that make the game enjoyable.

So this falls in line with your "A" type. The difference in me and what you list as the "A" type is that I don't think that only know how to fix it. I recognize that everyone has different reasons for playing. I recognize that I know how to fix the game for myself and make the game enjoyable for myself and that it is important to find other people to play with that agree with that. I would never in a million years go to a store or someone's garage and try to tell them how to play or say that they have to play like I want them to.

I would of course scout out an area before I go to play there. As I gave up hyper competitive game play years ago, I would not knowingly walk into a store that I knew was the roost of a hyper competitive group and play them because neither of us are going to have an enjoyable time.

SteveW
13-01-2014, 17:12
If any options were not derogatory we'd all choose it.

Urgat
13-01-2014, 17:17
A, B or C don't represent me, so I choose option TBO I guess. I like 8th ed, I usually like the rumours, and I'm certainly not a powergamer or I'd have stopped playing gobs 15 years ago, after my 20 first defea-games.

thesoundofmusica
13-01-2014, 17:21
I am certainly not A or B. I think I'm mostly C but not entirely. I do play casual games with casual people; my wife and my brother. But anyone who thinks they know warhammer must feel my list of doom. Dunno, I'm a competitive type at heart.

Lord Solar Plexus
13-01-2014, 17:26
You won't get any useful feedback on a poll with just a few narrow selections, Steve.

I'm not A. I'm not telling anyone what to bring unless it's illegal, and I don't think WFB is broken.

I'm not B. I like some rumours and I detest others. I've gotten my share of heated debates but sometimes months pass before I look at the rumour section again.

I'm not C. I like to win, I like to have a laugh, and I take Flagellants, Handgunners and run armies without WP's or Stanks, even at tournaments.

tiger g
13-01-2014, 17:28
Not any of the above either. Poorly designed poll.

Archon of Death
13-01-2014, 17:29
I do my own mathhammer so I guesa C, but instead of using the internet I do it myself. Hell the internet ends up doing everything based on spherical chickens in a vacuum, I actually calculate in every aspect I can before selecting my perfect lists, and even those can never be perfect

Kingly
13-01-2014, 18:00
Steve it looks like you're paying far to much attention to the chaps on here that shout that loudest. The majority of us are actually quite nice, I believe, and do not fit into a poll that bottle-noses WHFB posters into those horrible three categories.

To add, I am none of the above, I'm doing an Empire army without Gunpowder, their stranded, resources have dried up and reinforcements are drying out, desperate bunch really! :D

VaeVictisGames
13-01-2014, 18:00
If any options were not derogatory we'd all choose it.

If any options were remotely close to accurately describing me i'd choose it.

SimaoSegunda
13-01-2014, 18:10
A. Is the closest, but that's more the theoretical side of my hobby. I like to play with medium strength lists, but what I really like is starting out with the strongest list I can make for a particular army, try it out, then make it weaker and weaker until I end up with an appropriate list for that particular meta. I then theory hammer about what would make the game better.

In_Fiction
13-01-2014, 18:29
(D) The Casual Gamer: Involved in Warhammer/wargaming because I like the modeling aspect of the game and seeing painted armies battle it out. I don't care about broken rules or books needing faqs since I game to relax and socialize. Tournaments are a hit or miss due to the nature of some gamers, ie A, B and C. Win? Awesome. Lose? Awesome, now I know what will and what wont work.

daftpunkevo
13-01-2014, 18:33
D : For fun.

Lastavenger
13-01-2014, 18:40
I consider myself soft/casual/fluffy player, because i field themed armies (all mounted Bretonnia, Wood Elves without treeman or treekin). But I sometimes find myself angry when someone brings only cheese to the table. For example during holidays i run project, where i taught kids (age 12 to 15) how to assemble and paint miniatures and play warhammer. I asked local players to help me with gaming part. I informed them that they will be playing with someone young who just started. I specifically asked them to bring soft fluffy armies that could should reflect playstyle of that army (Skaven should be numerous). We had Woch player (Nurgle DP, 2 Chimeras, flying unkillable BSB of Tzeentch), Empire (Steamtank, IC knights, demichickens and 2 cannons) DoC (Nurgle DP, 2 Skullcannons) and Skaven (Abominations and other strong options). After that, I stopped inviting anyone to help me.

stroller
13-01-2014, 18:46
(D) For fun. I like (most) of the models. I enjoy the GAME: building painting fluff & playing.

I'm not (A)The Comper: Thinks warhammer is broken and only he knows how to fix it. This often includes telling other people what is acceptable to bring to battle against him. Warhammer isn't perfect, but I like it more than the other games I've tried.

Nor am I (B)The sky is falling: Every new rumor spells the end of warhammer as we know it and if any of them are true they will ragequit. I don't read the rumours. They are irrelevant to me. I can't avoid them entirely as I see some of them stray into "General" but it makes no difference to me whether new Dwarves arrive next month, next year or next decade. If / when they do I'll probably buy the army book and some more figures, but I don't worry about that today, or tomorrow.....

I'm certainly not (C)The powergamer: Only takes the very best option the internet says is top dog and derides others for taking "sub-optimal" lists while taking credit for any and all wins done with his list. Never been to a tournament: HAVE looked at the odd tactica for ideas.

I suppose I might be (E). Gets on with playing the game & enjoying it, pausing to wonder what the doom merchants get out of it all, and why they are still here.

tezdal
13-01-2014, 18:50

Agreed, I spend more time daydreaming fluff for my pewter guys then I do army list building or thinking of ways to win.

BigbyWolf
13-01-2014, 18:52
I vote for "D" as well, and agree that the poll really does lack options.

stortotta
13-01-2014, 19:09
I voted A, as it's the only one that remotely describes me and my wish to make house rule-campaigns, and the fact that I like comp. Not comp that I've written mind you, I'm just too bad at warhammer to try my hand at that... I guess I'd complain if someone brings something uber that is also illegal, but otherwise I think ppl should play what they consider fun

Jind_Singh
13-01-2014, 20:17
(A)The Comper: Thinks warhammer is broken and only he knows how to fix it. This often includes telling other people what is acceptable to bring to battle against him.

(B)The sky is falling: Every new rumor spells the end of warhammer as we know it and if any of them are true they will rage quit.

(C)The powergamer: Only takes the very best option the internet says is top dog and derides others for taking "sub-optimal" lists while taking credit for any and all wins done with his list.

(D) The General: Enjoys winning, won't take the hardest lists per say but what they take they will use it to it's full capabilities. Knows the rules and knows the limits of both their own army and their opponents. Is not concerned about min-maxing or breaking out the cheese.

(E) The part-time gamer: Plays just to play, isn't concerned about results as such - more for the kicks and giggles. Will occasional throw out a grumpy face as too much losing isn't fun, but for the most part is the Warhammer equivalent of the Surfer Hippy.

(F) The Story Teller: Is driven by narrative based games and campaigns, loves to make house rules and design models/boards to act out their table top fantasy.

I'm (D) - The General

SteveW
13-01-2014, 20:47
Just an FYI, anyone coming in here and making their own poll because the one I made is not to their liking would fall into group A by accidental admission...lol

Kakapo42
13-01-2014, 20:50
(F) The Story Teller: Is driven by narrative based games and campaigns, loves to make house rules and design models/boards to act out their table top fantasy.

This would be the closest to me. I'm about as close to the total opposite of what most people consider to be the 'competitive' archetype as you can get. I started Fantasy last year with Wood Elves and am amassing a large force of them with many units people consider to be 'terrible', purely because I love how the models look. I don't consider a unit to be finished until it has a name and at least a couple of paragraphs worth of backstory. I personally consider writing an army list to be more of a chore than anything, and see them as purely a means to an end, and will almost never change one once it's written because I see my army as a cast of characters and want to chronicle their adventures, seeing each game they're in as being like a chapter in a book or an episode in a TV series. It's my personal belief that 'meta-gaming' and 'mathhammer' are the tools of Lucifer himself. Heck, I even encourage playing in-character and adding role-play elements in. To me it's not so much a game and more of a story-telling exercise.

tiger g
13-01-2014, 21:06
Just an FYI, anyone coming in here and making their own poll because the one I made is not to their liking would fall into group A by accidental admission...lol

I don't think warhammer is not broken only your poll. also did not tell you how to fix it. :>))))

I do have strong opinions on what is right and wrong about polls as that is real business to me not playing a game. :>))

Archon of Death
13-01-2014, 22:17
Yeah... With that new list, General is how I play when I do. I was taught to strategize through years of playing diablo 2. Lots of math, lots of planning, flawless execution.

dalezzz
13-01-2014, 23:09
I think Steve's getting the results he's after :p

SteveW
14-01-2014, 00:50
Dalezzz might be on to something.

Spiney Norman
14-01-2014, 01:26
My archetype just isn't there

D. Obsessive Fanboy
Get unfeasibly excited about new rumours, spends all his spare time either painting, posting on war-game forums or jotting down army lists on the backs of napkins, used envelopes, old till receipts and any other scraps of paper that come to hand. Always has a new idea for a new project/conversion and has to be forcibly restrained from starting new armies of what ever army book was released this month.

SteveW
14-01-2014, 01:30

D. Obsessive Fanboy
Get unfeasibly excited about new rumours, spends all his spare time either painting, posting on war-game forums or jotting down army lists on the backs of napkins, used envelopes, old till receipts and any other scraps of paper that come to hand. Always has a new idea for a new project/conversion and has to be forcibly restrained from starting new armies of what ever army book was released this month.

I actually am guilty of this as well.

HurrDurr
14-01-2014, 02:39
A) But without telling other people what they can and can't bring. You can't convince me with this many years of experience GWS couldn't fix "some" of the big issues we hear about a lot.

Romark
14-01-2014, 15:22
I went A, as that seems to be the closest representation going (I've tried so hard to stop my friends taking optimised. All of my Gaming group fit into group C!). But, i think Jind_Singh got much closer to how i feel i actually play:

(D) The General: Enjoys winning, won't take the hardest lists per say but what they take they will use it to it's full capabilities. Knows the rules and knows the limits of both their own army and their opponents. Is not concerned about min-maxing or breaking out the cheese.

Nailed it.

Wash
14-01-2014, 16:09
out of the 3 options I'd consider myself option A. Mainly because GW does not playtest a new book nowhere near the amount they should (if they even do it at all). Otherwise items like the BoTWD wouldn't have made it to production (I am an elf player and I refuse to use this item). There are so many obvious things in their latest releases where you just slap your forehead. For example, I've always wanted to run dragon ogres, but their points value make no fn sense. Another would be in 40k with the new nids book, genestealers are once again going to collect dust for another 3 years.

I've always considered their marketing department a complete joke as well. I have no marketing experience, and I could make that company a lot more money by just listening to the community and releasing the right kits on new releases. Though I find that they mess this up more in 40k than they do in Fantasy. An example would be that I've always felt that every single army, 40k and Fantasy needs a multi part plastic hero kit. I buy these things in droves for my high elf and empire armies. I would love to see this kind of kit for like a Chaos Lord, or in 40k an Eldar Autarch.

I love the hobby, but man some of the ideas they come up with....

hewhorocks
14-01-2014, 17:38
I am a powergamer when I play Chess or Go. I'm a comper when I play D&D. When I play warhammer? I'm the one whose wants the best looking army at the table....or actually in the shop. If my army looks cooler than yours I've won.

Captain Collius
14-01-2014, 17:57

D. Obsessive Fanboy

Ditto Latest fantasy is a dwarf army.

Captain Collius
14-01-2014, 17:57

D. Obsessive Fanboy

Ditto Latest fantasy is a dwarf army.

Bugg13
14-01-2014, 21:06

(B)The sky is falling: Every new rumor spells the end of warhammer as we know it and if any of them are true they will rage quit.

(E) The part-time gamer: Plays just to play, isn't concerned about results as such - more for the kicks and giggles. Will occasional throw out a grumpy face as too much losing isn't fun, but for the most part is the Warhammer equivalent of the Surfer Hippy.

I'd say I'm somewhere between D and E. I'm not fussed about results as long as the game's been fun and I'll (almost) always choose units I like over the optimal build. However, I will always try my best to win with whatever list I'm using and I try to know the strengths and weaknesses of each army. I'm also perfectly happy to cheese it up against opponents who've done the same to me in the past.

WizzyWarlock
14-01-2014, 21:57
We need a D) - None of the Above.

logan054
14-01-2014, 23:24
Probably A and F, well I'd like to think I know the answers how to fix things, probably don't, I enjoy writing up alternate rules for things from time to time when I'm in the mood. I think because of the balance issue I see in warhammer that makes me want to play more fluffy armies and play campaigns rather than the same old pitch battle, my set 2k list vs your 2k list mashup.

BigbyWolf
17-01-2014, 22:58
Actually, can we have an option for "buys far more models then he actually needs, uses about 10% of them and spends his nights weeping into a mug of cold coffee whilst staring at the piles of grey plastic that block his view to the TV"?

SteveW
17-01-2014, 23:03
Actually, can we have an option for "buys far more models then he actually needs, uses about 10% of them and spends his nights weeping into a mug of cold coffee whilst staring at the piles of grey plastic that block his view to the TV"?

No, I would have had to vote that one twice...lol