PDA

View Full Version : Anyone prefer the black and white codex art?

mpepperdine
14-01-2014, 02:07
A bit strange but...
I was flicking through the new 'nids codex and I couldn't help but notice some of the older artwork had been coloured it. I don't know about you, but I just think it looks...wrong?

Pondering on it for a bit, I had a look through all my old codices and then the new ones, and I've come to the conclusion that the black and white artwork looks a lot nicer.

The pic that got me thinking was the Carnifex entry pic and the one of the Tau vs Tyranids where there are tonnes of crisis suits in the air.

What are your thoughts guys?

Mephisto Dragonbane
14-01-2014, 02:42
I'm not a fan of changing artwork. Changing old black and white art to coloured art is like painting over the mona lisa. They Shouldn't be changed at all. Ever.

zoggin-eck
14-01-2014, 02:47
I know in the past that some artwork printed in black and white were originally colour or at least sepia.

In this case and recently, it does seem to be colouring old art (or even changing the colours of old art).

Personally, I can't stand it. Perhaps just because it reminds me of the people colouring GW art and posting it on Deviantart or similar and screaming for praise for "their" art :)

Sternguard777
14-01-2014, 02:52
Most of the colored in art looks pretty good in my opinion. There are a few images where the black and white ones looked better but then you have just as many that look better with a little color thrown in. Its a case by case basis I think.

mpepperdine
14-01-2014, 02:59
I just like the darker, gritty feel of the old art.

Looking at some of the bright, colourful tyranids really detracts from their menace.

ForgottenLore
14-01-2014, 03:56
For the most part I don't like interior pages of game books to be in color at all. Color pages, especially full glossy, has a tendency to stain and get messed up. Additionally, color adds noticeably to the price and game books (particularly codexes) are generally intended to be regularly replaced, so I would rather have the info for as cheap as possible.

As for the specifics of the new Tyranid book, I can't really comment, I haven't looked through it.

AngryAngel
14-01-2014, 04:03
I very much enjoy the full color art in the books. I just don't enjoy the lazy copy paste some books get, or when they are so lazy they copy paste and don't even update from one book to another, the updates they placed in with FAQs, ala Dark Angels. If we're paying a premium for these products I expect a premium effort put forth to put out good product, I don't think that's asking for too much honestly. Day 1 needed FAQS are completely unacceptable for a company this size, that is supposed to be best product on the market.

duffybear1988
14-01-2014, 08:56
Black white and cheaper = yes please.

Kakapo42
14-01-2014, 09:21
I mentioned this before once a long time ago. I personally much prefer the older black-and-white styled artwork. I'm not sure why, but it just seems so much more detailed and emotive to me. The newer coloured artwork seems garish and plastic to me. The older black-and-white versions seem much more alive. There's some magic to them that I find lacking in the coloured versions. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's just something about the black-and-white versions that's more expressive and intense, it's like the black and white animatic cutscenes in the Homeworld games.

Ivanzypher
14-01-2014, 11:23
Yeah I agree with the OP. The older black&white artwork was stellar. Seems a shame seeing it changed to colour. That being said I have no problem with colour art in general. The new Codex Tyranids cover for example is totally boss.

Balerion
14-01-2014, 11:47
I hate a lot of the art in the Tyranid codex, but it has nothing to do with the colouration. A lot of it is just really poorly executed, and they made a bunch of weird decisions about what to patch-in from the last book and what to redo. For example, the Hive Tyrant bestiary picture in the last book crushes the spindly idiot that appears in this version.

Xerkics
14-01-2014, 11:57
Hive Tyrant art in the new book is truly awfull. I think it's not unreasonable to expect new art and fluff in a new book as it is should we pay only 50% of price if we are getting only 50% content? It's very lazy . We know gw can do amazing art just look at code x cover, they just don't want to pay for it. Looking at new hive tyrant makes you think that he was done in crayon by a 12 year old and then his father coloured it considering how disproportionate it is.

T10
14-01-2014, 13:14
Anyone prefer the black and white codex art?

What are your thoughts guys?

No. Full-colour books: Full-colour art.

Crappy full-colour art does not justify using "good" black-and-white art when the correct alternative is to use good full-colour art.

-T10

Camman1984
14-01-2014, 14:03
Full colour art is my preference, but converting a black and white picture to colour often just looks odd because the original picture and shading was done in black and white and not designed for colour.

DeathGlam
14-01-2014, 15:58
I have not had a look at the Tyranid artwork in detail but in general i prefer the colour stuff from other books, even when it is old artwork "coloured in" but if you had asked me before they changed the first codex to full colour, i would probably have been of the opinion that the artwork needed to be black and white to capture the atmosphere of the 40k world.

wyvirn
14-01-2014, 16:09
I think the full color art in the codex is probably its best feature. I like it a lot, especially the 2 page spreads.

MetalMetroid
14-01-2014, 16:48
It really depends on the artwork itself... though personally I always preferred black and white to full colour. Flicking through the old Angels of Death codex for example is always a treat and someone colouring in those pictures would ruin the atmosphere they create.

New artwork and fluff would be great... but why spend money when you can just copy and paste? It's not like we care about interesting backstories and pictures or expect a top quality product right? ;'(

duffybear1988
14-01-2014, 17:36
I actually prefer the old style codexes as well. The 3.5 - 4th edition ones just seemed more characterful. These new flash hardbacks are all style and no substance IMO.