PDA

View Full Version : The Old Ones stance on Chaos, Nids vs Crons

Rufiodies
14-01-2014, 22:47
I've kinda been wondering what the Old Ones stance on Chaos would be, They are anti necron, and necron's are anti warp, so does that make the old ones pro chaos? or do they view it as a corruption of everything they built? Kinda like how Ad Mec views Dark Mech and any sacrilegious changes to their tech?
I'm asking because I'm wondering if the Nid's are just some Old Ones creation, something to wipe the slate clean so to speak.
A sort of "kill two birds with one stone" thing, a race to kill off chaos, and fight the Necrons afterwards. Would Chaos die if the nids ate everything? Does the shadow in the warp block any chance of feeling/emotion/worship from the warp? The nids don't really have any emotion to feed the warp so if there was only nids, there would be no life, nothing really in the warp, kinda like a lake on a windless day, just flat and calm.
If this were the case, the Old One behind it would have to view chaos as just as much of a threat to the universe as the necrons.
I dunno, i'm rambling

insectum7
15-01-2014, 01:57
I've kinda been wondering what the Old Ones stance on Chaos would be, They are anti necron, and necron's are anti warp, so does that make the old ones pro chaos? or do they view it as a corruption of everything they built? Kinda like how Ad Mec views Dark Mech and any sacrilegious changes to their tech?
I'm asking because I'm wondering if the Nid's are just some Old Ones creation, something to wipe the slate clean so to speak.
A sort of "kill two birds with one stone" thing, a race to kill off chaos, and fight the Necrons afterwards. Would Chaos die if the nids ate everything? Does the shadow in the warp block any chance of feeling/emotion/worship from the warp? The nids don't really have any emotion to feed the warp so if there was only nids, there would be no life, nothing really in the warp, kinda like a lake on a windless day, just flat and calm.
If this were the case, the Old One behind it would have to view chaos as just as much of a threat to the universe as the necrons.
I dunno, i'm rambling

The Orks are most likely the race designed to maintain a healthy ecosystem in the galaxy. The Orks reproduce incredibly fast, mosey around and fight with everything, and all the while keeping a presence in the warp which isn't nearly as dangerous as the gods of other sentient races. The Orks are constantly "stirring the pot", so to speak.

The thing to remember about the Tyranids is what they do to planets. Tyranids remove ALL bio-matter from a planets surface, as well as vacuum up the atmosphere as they finish up. Every planet that Tyranids "win", basically becomes subject to exterminatus. Erased. This is why Tyranids represent a threat that not even Necrons can equal. Many Necrons will wipe out life, but many Necrons and even their C'tan gods primarily want to enslave all life, either for fun or to slowly drain their life-force and feed to their machines or gods. Which, while exceedingly dark for the galaxy, in not nearly the same thing as collecting every last biological molecule from every habitable planet, assimilating it into their roving bio-fleet, and then moving on to the next star system and eventually leaving the galaxy altogether. If the collective Norn Queens would have their way, basically the galaxy would be completely dead in their wake. No life, and no reflection of life in the warp. That doesn't seem to be part of the Old Ones plans. As far as we can tell the Old Ones celebrated life and the warp in all it's diversity, and encouraged both life and civilizations to expand and grow. Tyranids would nix that entire idea.

Now, technically speaking, given some number of many millions of years the elements necessary for life would find their way out of stars and onto new planets, and life would eventually begin to propagate all over again, but somehow I don't think such an extreme "wiping of the slate" would have been in the Old Ones plans.

Polaria
15-01-2014, 10:00
Basically if Chaos wins the Galaxy will become a literal hell as the boundaries between the materium and immaterium would be torn out. This has happened before in the time of the Old Ones and was the major reason why Old Ones died out and possibly also contributing to why Necrons went asleep.

If Tyranids win, the Galaxy will become dead and devoid of life. The Tyranids will move on and the Necrons will inherit the Galaxy, now permanently cleansed of all that nasty and messy life-thingy. Thus if Necrons could cooperate, could think straight and could actually shed the last bits of craving for return to mortality they would help the Tyranids for an epic win-win alliance against everyone else.

El_Machinae
15-01-2014, 15:08
Old Ones would be pro-Warp, but anti-Chaos. Chaos, in the end, is undesirable to non-Chaosites, and the Old Ones would recognise that. IF the victorious Tyranids could be psychically coerced by the Old Ones, their biomass could be used to create a new Genesis in the galaxy. Essentially, beat those swords into plowshares. Use the mass of the 'nids to build something new.

Rufiodies
15-01-2014, 19:57
Well this is what i'm talking about, The old ones aren't thinking in the short term, they have the longview, and even though they seem to have a certain fatherly quality when it comes to their creations, I don't think they'd be opposed to wiping out these creations to take out their chief rivals, being chaos and the necrons. Chaos really doesn't have anything to gain from the nids, the necrons can't use the nids in the way they use other races, they're the perfect weapon in that regard. I think when the old ones realized that chaos had ruined their previous creations (or that their previous creations had failed), and that some other race was in control of the galaxy, which was also being used by chaos and the necrons, that the logical thing to do was to just kill em all with a new creation that was under their complete and utter control.

Lord Damocles
15-01-2014, 20:26
I was wondering how long it would be before another 'Old Ones -> Tyranids' thread.

As ever, there's no evidence for it, and such a scenario doesn't make a huge amount of sense anyway (eg. Tyranids don't follow the Old Ones' pattern for Young Races; leaving 60 million-odd years before deploying your countermeasure seems rather tardy; Nids eat Young Races left right and centre, etc.)

Rufiodies
15-01-2014, 20:33
Well the nids do take a while to get anywhere, and it is kinda random that they appear at the same time as the necrons start waking up.

Polaria
16-01-2014, 05:57
I was wondering how long it would be before another 'Old Ones -> Tyranids' thread.

As ever, there's no evidence for it, and such a scenario doesn't make a huge amount of sense anyway (eg. Tyranids don't follow the Old Ones' pattern for Young Races; leaving 60 million-odd years before deploying your countermeasure seems rather tardy; Nids eat Young Races left right and centre, etc.)

Maybe Tyranids ARE the Old Ones? When materium ruptured and beasts from the warp tried to consume the whole galaxy the Old Ones just moved on to mess with the lifeforms of other galaxies and have now evolved to Tyranids?

Mellow
16-01-2014, 07:21
If the Old Ones created the races, and the races psychic abilities manifested the Chaos Gods then maybe it was all part of their plan? Seeing as the Old Ones rivals were in fact the Necrontyr?

Is there any proof that any of the Old Ones are still around or were they all wiped out?

Rufiodies
16-01-2014, 15:04
Maybe Tyranids ARE the Old Ones? When materium ruptured and beasts from the warp tried to consume the whole galaxy the Old Ones just moved on to mess with the lifeforms of other galaxies and have now evolved to Tyranids?

This is what I'm saying, the Old Ones escaped and started developing a new race. The Old Ones created other races, what makes you think they couldn't create the nids? The only issue with this is that the nids are sooo much different from the other races, you'd think the old ones made things "in their image" but after chaos enveloped the galaxy, maybe the few surviving old ones (or only surviving old one) went nuts, or was even corrupted by chaos. He escapes the galaxy to some far off corner and decides to build an army capable of killing off chaos, or the crons, or even starting the galaxy over. Maybe he couldn't create something from scratch so he uses whatever he has at hand, which is maybe some proto-genestealers or whatever. Technically aren't all nids "gene stealers" they take other races genetics and upgrade themselves with it.