PDA

View Full Version : Making odd rules cinematic

aenimosity
15-01-2014, 11:33
Back when I first picked up the 4th edition 40k book, one of the things that cemented my desire to start playing the game was the way the rules were often followed by some sort of flavour text that explained the rule in a narrative way. For example when moving a unit into difficult terrain roll a d6 and move the number of inches shown. If this would not even move the models into the terrain it could be because the squad is wary of potential ambushers hidden in the terrain. I thought it was cinematic and made sense, however these days I am one of those people who prefers not to have luck play too big a part in my games, and I tend to view that sort of thing as a fairly sloppy justification of a poorly thought out rule.

That said, with GW's pushes to make 40k more cinematic and the RAW hilarity of the new pyrovore volatile rule, I thought it would be fun if people could come up with the flavour text that provides the most cinematic narrative as an explanation for poorly thought out, or badly written rules interactions that they've come across while playing 40k.

Spiney Norman
15-01-2014, 11:43
Back when I first picked up the 4th edition 40k book, one of the things that cemented my desire to start playing the game was the way the rules were often followed by some sort of flavour text that explained the rule in a narrative way. For example when moving a unit into difficult terrain roll a d6 and move the number of inches shown. If this would not even move the models into the terrain it could be because the squad is wary of potential ambushers hidden in the terrain. I thought it was cinematic and made sense, however these days I am one of those people who prefers not to have luck play too big a part in my games, and I tend to view that sort of thing as a fairly sloppy justification of a poorly thought out rule.

That said, with GW's pushes to make 40k more cinematic and the RAW hilarity of the new pyrovore volatile rule, I thought it would be fun if people could come up with the flavour text that provides the most cinematic narrative as an explanation for poorly thought out, or badly written rules interactions that they've come across while playing 40k.

Often I think the cry of 'cinematic' is used to justify illogical rules that exist just to nerf something the designers thought might be too good. Its become the standard excuse for something that doesn't make sense in 40K, rather like "a wizard did it" is used in fantasy.

aenimosity
15-01-2014, 12:17
Often I think the cry of 'cinematic' is used to justify illogical rules that exist just to nerf something the designers thought might be too good. Its become the standard excuse for something that doesn't make sense in 40K, rather like "a wizard did it" is used in fantasy.

You're possibly right, but what I really intended this thread to be about was silliness. I want to see people come up with 'how the wizard did it' for the various odd rules that GW has produced in their books. What sort of cinematic explanation can you come up with for the pyrovore's volatile rule (or anything else that you've come across that is written badly) that gives some sort of reason for the madness? For example:

Each unit takes a number of str_ hits equal to the number of models within d6" of the exploding pyrovore. Whenever a pyrovore gets hit by a particularly big weapon the chemicals within it's body react so extraordinarily that the entire planet is enveloped by an enormous sentient fireball which selectively wounds a variable number of grouped individuals. This is due to the sheer indignation the pyrovore feels at the onlookers who chose to do nothing to help it escape doom.