PDA

View Full Version : no force organisation chart for nids?

zauriel777
15-01-2014, 15:02
hi guys and girls
Quick question, I've been going over my ebook version of the codex form the nids and couldn't find a ''force organisation chart''.
Does this mean we can put whatever we want in our Lists, or am I wrong and missed something.

so what do you think

Urgat
15-01-2014, 15:06
Before stoopid and co show up and crack some questionnably hilarious jokes, I'll point out you posted in the wrong forum pal.

3eland
15-01-2014, 15:20
It says to pick your army following the guidelines given in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook. This would mean you would follow the normal FOC in the rulebook.

Spiney Norman
15-01-2014, 16:43
It says to pick your army following the guidelines given in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook. This would mean you would follow the normal FOC in the rulebook.

I smell changes in the FOC come the summer, is this the case in the paper edition as well?

Ssilmath
15-01-2014, 16:46
I smell changes in the FOC come the summer, is this the case in the paper edition as well?

I'll have to double check, but I don't remember seeing it in there either.

The Emperor
15-01-2014, 17:02

Nah, I just looked in Codex: Tau Empire, and it said the same thing there as well.

Paint it Red
15-01-2014, 18:05
The organisation chart no longer fits its purpose. Since you now have allies, and all the weird escalation/planet strike/army supplements, the organisation chart does not limit your army build. If you want 20 troop units you can do so. If you want 14 tanks you can do so, if you want 4 heldrakes you can.

There has to be a better way of limiting types of unit on the battlefield but still allow players enough flexibility of choice to suit their play style.

Sandalphon
15-01-2014, 18:19
There has to be a better way of limiting types of unit on the battlefield but still allow players enough flexibility of choice to suit their play style.

There always has been, its called Percentages. Having a maximum and a minimum in each group but it seems GW has been allergic to them in 40K for decades now.

This game is now the one with 0-6 Stormtalons for no FOC slots (and even worse insanity), since you can now spend $7.00 extra on "rules" to do so.

Eldartank
15-01-2014, 19:25
No Force Organization Chart for Tyranids? WOO HOO!!!! AWESOME!!!! Here I come with my Tyranid army consisting of nothing but Flying Hive Tyrants!!!!! :D

Charistoph
15-01-2014, 20:38
The intent in 6th Edition is for the Missions to define the FOC. For example, Planetstrike missions and the ones for the Horus Heresy series all offer different FOC options from the rulebook standard Eternal War mission sets. (I can't remember if the Data Slate and Supplement missions have a different FOC, though).

So if you and your opponent want to play an Escalation game that requires 1 LoW and 5 Troops for the mission you created, you're good.

3eland
15-01-2014, 20:39
No Force Organization Chart for Tyranids? WOO HOO!!!! AWESOME!!!! Here I come with my Tyranid army consisting of nothing but Flying Hive Tyrants!!!!! :D

/facepalm I hope your trolling. It is very clear on the rules.

Spiney Norman
15-01-2014, 20:49
The intent in 6th Edition is for the Missions to define the FOC. For example, Planetstrike missions and the ones for the Horus Heresy series all offer different FOC options from the rulebook standard Eternal War mission sets. (I can't remember if the Data Slate and Supplement missions have a different FOC, though).

So if you and your opponent want to play an Escalation game that requires 1 LoW and 5 Troops for the mission you created, you're good.

Which is fine unless you just want to play... a normal game

Sternguard777
15-01-2014, 23:14
Which is fine unless you just want to play... a normal game

In which case you would follow the BRB which has the FOC on pg 109 It even mentions that this is the standard FOC for the Eternal War missions in the BRB. I don't think they even need to show us the FOC in the codexes at this point so long as they still tell you what kind of choice everything is in the codex.

Larkyn
16-01-2014, 00:25
The codex also doesn't tell me that I need a table to play on either, or that I need to wear pants while playing.

At the risk of sounding rude, which I don't want to be, but I can't really put it any other way...

Apply a little bit of common sense, and think it out. There's no FOC in the codex...hmmm...that can't be right. Oh! Page 92 says follow the guidelines in the 40k rulebook when writing your army list. Must be the FOC.

Eldartank
16-01-2014, 00:26
/facepalm I hope your trolling. It is very clear on the rules.

Let not your heart be troubled. I was kidding about the army of flying Hive Tyrants. ;)

(Although, that might actually be fun in a one-off game where your opponent agreed to let you try out such a thing. Assuming there were enough Tyranid players in the store at the time who were willing to let you borrow their Hive Tyrants - I couldn't imagine actually spending all that money for so many Hive Tyrants.....)

DoctorTom
16-01-2014, 17:54
The codex also doesn't tell me that I need a table to play on either, or that I need to wear pants while playing.

You don't have to play on a table, you could set up on a floor. And they don't want to prevent people from wearing kilts while playing. :p

corps
16-01-2014, 18:21
that I need to wear pants while playing.

Really ? damn no one told me about the pants. well i notice it too that they are no organisation chart but it s not the only codex. that seem to be a 6 ed thing. The rulebook chart is the only one to wich to refer to.

Menthak
16-01-2014, 18:48

At the risk of sounding rude, which I don't want to be, but I can't really put it any other way...

Apply a little bit of common sense, and think it out. There's no FOC in the codex...hmmm...that can't be right. Oh! Page 92 says follow the guidelines in the 40k rulebook when writing your army list. Must be the FOC.

I wish the 40k system books would have the same caveat that Brikwars has "Don't be a d*ck, and use common sense" (horribly paraphrased, but it's in there)

gitburna
16-01-2014, 19:00
They do, they usually call it The Most Important Rule and it refers to players having fun and to cooperate during a game. Trouble is a lot of players tend to ignore it...or say things like "my idea of fun is to stomp the enemy flat" in not-so-many-words

Sent from my Nokia 920 using Tapatalk

InstantKarma
16-01-2014, 21:01
hi guys and girls
Quick question, I've been going over my ebook version of the codex form the nids and couldn't find a ''force organisation chart''.
Does this mean we can put whatever we want in our Lists, or am I wrong and missed something.

so what do you think

Oooo hoooo, ohohoho, oh my. I need to stop chuckling. All Flyrant list indeed!

Yes, you still use the FOC. Did you mean that your digital copy didnt have the interactive FOC for you to make you own list?

Eldartank
18-01-2014, 03:35

That just put a crazy image in my head of someone playing a game of "strip 40k," where each time a player gets one of his models killed in the game, he has to remove an article of clothing..... :D

Ssilmath
18-01-2014, 03:38
That just put a crazy image in my head of someone playing a game of "strip 40k," where each time a player gets one of his models killed in the game, he has to remove an article of clothing..... :D

A Guard, Ork or Nid player may as well just show up naked.

Charistoph
18-01-2014, 03:56

That is just plain scary, if not outright terrifying, for 90% of players to do. Though, I have met a player or two where that wouldn't be so bad... until my wife found out.

Asdrubael108
18-01-2014, 08:18
(just saying) The new leviathan codex is out! What do you guys think? Maybe we do get ymgal genestealers???

spagg
18-01-2014, 14:56
Not trying to change to a pricing debate as there is a pricing thread , but what I think so far is that I just spent $50 on a new codex and now to get additional rules they are asking for another $16.99. Unbelievable.....

spagg
18-01-2014, 17:58
So you don't have a problem spending that? I understand I don't have to buy them, it's the point....

AndrewGPaul
18-01-2014, 18:11
I had deleted my post ("So ... don't buy them? It's not like they're compulsory"), but since you responded, I wasn't quick enough.

If it's something I find interesting, no, I don't have a problem with it. I bought the downloads for Cypher, Kill-team, the 4-player mission and the Apocalypse add-on in Advent. I didn't buy some of the others.

It's 42 pages, and presumably the other two will be similar. The iBooks edition of the Codex is only 170, and even assuming half of the Dataslates' page count is duplicated stats*, that's still too much content to assume they could have just stuck it into the Codex. Like the Codex supplements, it's looking at a specific instance rather than the parent Codex's general view. Additional missions are also always good; even if you don't use the forces in the document.

* Something I actually approve of, since it might mean I don't need to buy Codex: Tyranids to use this. That's good for me, since I have a load of genestealers thanks to Space Hulk, but no other Tyranids.

spagg
18-01-2014, 18:20
Cool, I talked to a friend who also plays nids and I think we are each going to buy one of the slates so we can conserve a bit of cash.