PDA

View Full Version : Necron Sarkon empire

Draconis
15-01-2014, 17:59
I wasn't able to find much on this dynasty so was wondering if anyone here have any relevant links to more information about this dynasty other than lexicanum. I liked the idea of the master program taking over matrix style so I'm just trying to find information on them.

Lord Damocles
15-01-2014, 20:08
The Sarconi empire's only mention is on pg.16 of the 5th ed. Codex: Necrons.

IcedAnimals
15-01-2014, 23:15
The Sarkon empire was put in there so as to not erase the old fluff of mindless necrons from the previous codex. So basically the entire fluff of the old book is about the sarkon empire. Table wise, they are known to use lots of mind shackle scarabs. So a fluffy list would probably be warrior spam with lords in the units bringing mind shackles.

Draconis
16-01-2014, 01:50
I just like the idea of using a master computer controlling all these crons. Sort of like in the computer world when we setup zombie computers. Or maybe the computer thinks it's playing a game of starcraft and it's controlling it's armies. Course that also sounds like the Hive Mind too.

Lord Damocles
16-01-2014, 21:09
The Sarkon empire was put in there so as to not erase the old fluff of mindless necrons from the previous codex.
Necrons clearly weren't mindless during the almost decade between the 3rd and 5th ed. Codexes.

Why this myth still exists utterly baffles me.

InstantKarma
16-01-2014, 21:17
I wasn't able to find much on this dynasty so was wondering if anyone here have any relevant links to more information about this dynasty other than lexicanum. I liked the idea of the master program taking over matrix style so I'm just trying to find information on them.

I had always imagined them being more like the Borg in Star Trek. Made me dream of a Necron 'Borg' army, with assimilated Guardsmen/Space Marines advancing in hordes chanting 'Resistance is Futile'.

IcedAnimals
17-01-2014, 19:43
Necrons clearly weren't mindless during the almost decade between the 3rd and 5th ed. Codexes.

Why this myth still exists utterly baffles me.

Ah, sorry. 99.9% of necrons were mindless autonomous beings with no souls. But there were some lords "SOME" lords. That were shown (and this started happening in preparation for the revamped fluff) to have individual personalities. But even they were basically empty shells compared to a human. And still were slaves to the C'tan.

Heres a quick quote "The C'tan feasted upon their entire race, leaving behind only ghostly echoes of the Necrontyr. Only a few of the very strongest retained their intellect and even they were shadows of their former selves." From the 3rd edition book.

Outside of necron lords, the necrons were about as sentient as an RC car. The first time any necron was ever shown to even talk was when Dark Crusade came out and that was a pariah. Which aren't even really necrons.

Lord Damocles
17-01-2014, 20:04
Xenology predates Dark Crusade, and couldn't be claimed to be any sort of preparation for the 'new background' (predating the current Codex by around five years) and features a talking Lord (and others are implied to talk in the collectors' edition booklet) who's clearly not a mindless automaton, and has personality.

Even your quote from the 3rd ed. Codex proves that the only reason for players to be stuck with mindless Necrons was if they couldn't be bothered to give them any personality.

Draconis
17-01-2014, 23:14
which is why i'm thankful Ward changed that (never thought I'd ever speak those words...). Technically it made them seem to close to the Nids in that all they cared about was enslaving (eating if you're a nid), the whole galaxy and didn't care for anything else. While I love how evil and powerful the old codex made them feel, and loved the fact that there were only 4 c'tan and each one was unique, I'm still glad the new dex gives them purpose.

IcedAnimals
18-01-2014, 00:14
Xenology predates Dark Crusade, and couldn't be claimed to be any sort of preparation for the 'new background' (predating the current Codex by around five years) and features a talking Lord (and others are implied to talk in the collectors' edition booklet) who's clearly not a mindless automaton, and has personality.

Even your quote from the 3rd ed. Codex proves that the only reason for players to be stuck with mindless Necrons was if they couldn't be bothered to give them any personality.

Right, ive already said that necron lords were shown to have limited personalities. Not sure where you are going here. The rest of their entire race until ward revamped it were quiet soulless mindless machines. And that is exactly what the Sarkon empire represents. A leader with a form of "flawed" sentience going around with an army of mindless robots. So that people who enjoy that style of necron can base their army around it and have it be "fluff" supported.

Dkoz
18-01-2014, 00:40
The Necrons especially the warriors are clearly more like your standard T1000 from the Terminator movies. I hope when Ward writes the new codex he beefs them up a little and gives them some vehicles like the one you see in the future in the Terminator movies.

hobojebus
18-01-2014, 15:27
Its weird to give ward credit for anything but he did give necrons more flavour, i would not of gone balls deep with the egyptian thing though but it makes more sense than his ultramarine and grey knight lore.

MajorWesJanson
18-01-2014, 17:25
Its weird to give ward credit for anything but he did give necrons more flavour, i would not of gone balls deep with the egyptian thing though but it makes more sense than his ultramarine and grey knight lore.

Well, Ultramarines lore in the 5th codex makes tons of sense if you look it as an Ultramarines book with the other chapters tacked in late. Of course the "heroes" of the book are going to get that sort of focus.

The Sarkon empire being the master computer controlled one, is that all a big Tron Reference? Even the name? Sarkon

ARabidNun
18-01-2014, 20:40
I had always imagined them being more like the Borg in Star Trek. Made me dream of a Necron 'Borg' army, with assimilated Guardsmen/Space Marines advancing in hordes chanting 'Resistance is Futile'.

You might want to take a look at my painting log then. :)
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?369447-Something-a-little-different-A-forgotten-Necron-log

bhusus
18-01-2014, 22:48
Its funny because I hated the fluff behind 3rd Ed Necrons but loved the idea of the Sarkon Empire - must have been the C'tan that turned me off before.

frikandel speciaal
19-01-2014, 10:49

Maybe you should try and read what IcedAnimals wrote. Necrons were mindless with very few exceptions.

And i liked that. It made them menacing. Now they feel much more like humans(allthough this codex is much better of course), which is no good thing.

MoonlightSonata
19-01-2014, 12:07
In this book: http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/cold_steel.html

It is revealed that the Necrons present are under the control of the Sarkon Empire and not only that, the Sarkon AI believes that the only way to truly re-establish perfect control is through the rule of the C'tan, that they are the Necrons once and only masters. In the story it is excavating a buried Tesseract Vault.

Losing Command
19-01-2014, 12:22
Doesn't the new fluff still describe Necron Warriors as good as nothing of their former selves left besides a sense of self-perservation and missing something important ? Nothing changed much for those poor warriors between the old and new fluff, they just got different, they just got new dictators ruling over them.

corps
19-01-2014, 13:04
The name make me think of Sargon of Arkhad, Sargon can be roughly translated as great king or legitiamate king. I think a mesopotamian style for necron could be great for the paint.

InstantKarma
19-01-2014, 16:51
You might want to take a look at my painting log then. :)
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?369447-Something-a-little-different-A-forgotten-Necron-log

Love the cube! I had a similar idea when thinking of converting the Monolith.

I think there was an Iron Hands paint scheme/conversions I saw using FW bits that made them look very 'Borg'.

Here's the link;

http://bloodofkittens.com/wargaminghub/2013/01/25/space-marine-borg-collective/

Draconis
19-01-2014, 18:18
The cube makes me think of portal. The cake is a lie...