PDA

View Full Version : How appropriate is it?

toddznidz
16-01-2014, 17:42
How apropos that the cover of the new Tyranid Codex is a dieing Tyranid Warrior, full of bolter bullet holes, screaming in agony!

Serious discussion topic: Will the Nids go the way of the Squats in the next edition?

IcedCrow
16-01-2014, 17:46
Absolutely. After everyone has finished taking a hammer to their tyranid collection and GW receives thousands upon thousands of returned broken armies, they will surely cancel the line altogether. Its only a matter of time. I just hope that its before they finally go bankrupt. The internet has assured me that this should happen any day now since 1998 so I figure its reckoning time.

Felwether
16-01-2014, 17:46
How apropos that the cover of the new Tyranid Codex is a dieing Tyranid Warrior, full of bolter bullet holes, screaming in agony!

Serious discussion topic: Will the Nids go the way of the Squats in the next edition?

1.) It's an awesome Tyranid Warrior roaring in defiance as it shrugs off explosive bolter rounds.

2.) Noes!

Ssilmath
16-01-2014, 17:49

Considering it is still attacking despite the bolter wounds, I'd say it is quite appropriate.

Camman1984
16-01-2014, 17:55
The nids are one of the classic sci-fi cliche armies, they wouldnt get rid of them, even if people feel they have been neglected lately compared to some of the OP dexes floating around. After seeing them in action they actually seem pretty well matched vs the non taudar dexes of this edition. The internet usually exaggerates the general rage towards anything as only the ones who are really unhappy will bother posting.

Griefbringer
16-01-2014, 17:58
Will the Nids go the way of the Squats in the next edition?

Are you suggesting that tyranids would become extinct due to being eaten by themselves?

toddznidz
16-01-2014, 17:59
The nids are one of the classic sci-fi cliche armies, they wouldnt get rid of them, even if people feel they have been neglected lately compared to some of the OP dexes floating around. After seeing them in action they actually seem pretty well matched vs the non taudar dexes of this edition. The internet usually exaggerates the general rage towards anything as only the ones who are really unhappy will bother posting.

How about Crons, GK, Centurion spam, etc.?

What happens when Robert Heinlein, Ridley Scott, or James Cameron decide to protect their IP?

Considering it is still attacking despite the bolter wounds, I'd say it is quite appropriate.

Atacking what? I don't see anything else on the cover. Are you suggesting something actually got in to CC in a 6e game?

Are you suggesting that tyranids would become extinct due to being eaten by themselves?

I am suggesting the only explanation for making the Dex consistently worse edition to edition, is so eventually there won't be any Tyranid players left who care enough, and they can just cancel the line altogether. I actually HAD a Squat army back in the day....

DoctorTom
16-01-2014, 18:09
No, they'll bring the Squats, er, Demiurg back so that their new codex can be balanced against whatever the latest Nid codex at the time is, along with giving them Preferred Enemy (Tyrannids) due to them having been almost completely annihilated by them.

Akwikone
16-01-2014, 18:50
How about Crons, GK, Centurion spam, etc.?

What happens when Robert Heinlein, Ridley Scott, or James Cameron decide to protect their IP?

They've had 20 years to take action and haven't yet and giant alien bugs isn't exactly a new concept that one can Patent. Sure the older designs borrowed heavily from the sci-fi of the era, but at this point are quite of bit divergent.

Atacking what? I don't see anything else on the cover. Are you suggesting something actually got in to CC in a 6e game?

I've seen quite a few Daemon armies wreck house in CC and my club has an Eldar army basically centered on Striking Scorpions.

I am suggesting the only explanation for making the Dex consistently worse edition to edition, is so eventually there won't be any Tyranid players left who care enough, and they can just cancel the line altogether. I actually HAD a Squat army back in the day....

'Nidz have had 2, from general consensus, bad codexes. 4th edition codex was awesome and I've only heard good about 3rd and earlier. By similar stigma and reaction, I suppose you'll be joined by CSM players; as the general consensus of the last two Codexes is that they're bad. Note that I say -Bad- and not weak, as while the Helldrake is very powerful, people don't like mono builds or lack of options and generally most Chaos players I've met see the current codex as a bad codex.

Now on the other hand, I can sadly see Sisters of Battle getting canceled at some point. Just on Price point and Lack of new models, rather than Rules.

Kung Fu Hamster
16-01-2014, 19:12

Do we really need yet another snarky whine thread about Tyranids?

There isn't even any real nerd rage and smashing of models, for Throne's sake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Langdon
16-01-2014, 19:59

what would happen if Geiger decides to protect his IP?

Quite the legal battle i would presume.. neither side winning, more than the sum of its parts losing out.

and as to wether nids will go the way of squats? doubt it.. sisters were looking to do the same and they got a shiny new(ish) "codex".

Langdon
16-01-2014, 20:01

no need to worry.. you will see hundreds of them, just like there were hundreds for chaos.. but the goal line has changed now.. and choas defenders and haters have stumbled on a worthier cause for now,.

Bugaboo
16-01-2014, 20:01

Until one of the units gets an errata to become a no brainer must have unit, yes. And even then, the same whine will appear month after month as if it's something new. Sound familiar?

Seriously, though. I know that I have come back into this game after having missed two editions. I know that not everyone collects more for fluff and aesthetics as opposed to tableing all armies that stand before them. I know that GW are far from the perfect, can do no wrong makers of toy soldiers and writers of rules they claim to be. But really.... Is the Codex really as bad as all that? There's so much of this usual teething issues snark that I am not sure if they are genuinely bad, or if it's yet more of the same complaints by folks who had an easier time auto-winning with their armies in previous editions.

Now, I know it's usually bad form to disagree when people have complaints regarding a whole army list, but here and now, I am having a hard time not being an IcedCrow. I mean, it's all well and good to say "Well, maybe if you played them, you'd realize they suck too!", but that sounds like a bit of a chunk of money to put into proving if internet wisdom has prevailed. Sad thing is, as a long term fan of Tyranids, I actually DO want to try this dex. But it wouldn't be for the reason that I want them to kill EVERRRRRYONE (thank you, Gary Oldman), but rather because I wants me some drooling xenomorphs to eat guard with. But this level of negativity, which is actually starting to get worse than that from CSM players, is making me wonder why I should even bother.

Not on account of thinking it will be an army that loses all battles. But rather because the lack of interest means there will be very little in terms of intelligent discussion to be had between nid players, to discuss how to make an (In the opinions of man) sub par codex actually work. I've seen how it goes. There will be one or two units which shine when they get a rules change, or something, and suddenly every army list will have them, and damn anyone who would even THINK of taking a unit that is "tactically unsound". I also want to say, in ref to the Tervigon and how opinions would change when Nid dex 6 rolls around; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ6kOvO1SUE

Saunders
16-01-2014, 20:17
Just to clarify, the Alien IP belongs to 21st Century Fox, not Ridley Scott, James Cameron, or HG Geiger :P (this thread is no different than the half dozen others that have popped up this week)

InstantKarma
16-01-2014, 20:35

The Nid Warrior is clearly in the process of being vaporized either by the Eldar Farseer or the Tau Battlesuit from their respective Codex covers, perhaps simultaneously? It would be rather appropriate!

AngryAngel
16-01-2014, 20:36
I do believe that the guard book will be a dying guardsman so why not a dying tyranid warrior on the nid book ? I don't think they're going the way of the squats however lazy the book feels. If that was the case then DA would have been folded into the regular marine book as their last book was about as dull as cream corn. ( Nothing against cream corn but it isn't very exciting. )

bork da basher
16-01-2014, 20:44
i have genuine concerns that unless something drastic happens within a year or two tyranid players will be a dying breed, not that they are popular anyway. the new codex just isn't fun to play with or against let alone competitive which it is not and im 99% positive it never will be. no matter how die hard a fan of bugs you might be there's only so much you can take.

more of a concern if this new style of codex isn't just a singular mistake. what if this is repeated with orks and IG? the impact to the game as a whole has to be considered because i have very little trust in GW to either right this mistake or guard against future ones.

InstantKarma
16-01-2014, 20:48
Well if the cover of your new Codex is any indication...

Disposable Hero
16-01-2014, 22:26
Just to clarify, the Alien IP belongs to 21st Century Fox, not Ridley Scott, James Cameron, or HG Geiger :P (this thread is no different than the half dozen others that have popped up this week)

Wasn't 21th Century Fox a song by The Doors? Or was that 20th Century Fox?

Threeshades
16-01-2014, 23:20

That is exactly why they got the new Feed Instinctive Behavior rules.

Tyranids will begin eating each other until only one massive apex macro-hiveship remains that just eats solar systems in a single gulp, and poops planet-sized rock pellets. It will cost so many points to field, that no tyranid player is able to field it, unless he plays against all other players fielding all of their non-tyranid armies against her. Also the one model you play (which alone occupies all the slots, including allies and fortifications of several million FOCs) is to scale roughly the size of the earth and GW will only produce it on commission being paid upfront, but no one will be able to afford it.

Tyranids will thus become impossible to play and GW has reached their goal of removing them from the game, without actually discontinuing it.

Lord Damocles
16-01-2014, 23:26
Yes. It is significant.

GW clearly hate Tyranids - hate Tyranid players - so much that they put out a product purely to spite you (along with new models just to troll you).

Then after giving them new rules and new models they'll force you to chuck all of your toys in a dumpster.

And then they'll kick your dog.

toddznidz
16-01-2014, 23:29
Gah! Can't Nid players have a little laugh at their own expense. Why does some snarky "why are you whining because you can't win every game" guy have to put a wet blanket on everything. Do I just need more emoticons in my posts? :):o:D:shifty:

Just because a guy recognizes a pile of horse apples when he sees it, doesn't make him a whiner. Just means he lives on a farm.

I have played WAAC. I have played drunk. I have played WAAC and drunk, but mostly just drunk these days. I could give a rats whether or not I ever win a game. I don't know what sucks most about the book. The general ennui, the blatant marketing, the "wtf" feeling you get reading some poorly thought out rule or other, the absence of any unit a competing company may have already produced a model for.

I have a buddy who was so excited when the Tau came out. He had been waiting for years to field a "kroot army". Got the book, built his Riptide, spent hours gluing together those annoying kroot models, play tested a few times... was bored to death and sold everything. I guess having something do do other than roll dice and watch your opponent get frustrated is needed even if it is just moving a model occasionally.

I don't care if I win or lose, but I need to have something more entertaining than "move the gaunt, pick the gaunt off the table" turn after turn (I guess I get to pick up a Carnifex every now and then).

God help me, though. I may have to go pick up that Exocrine this weekend....

And for the record, Heinlein has them all beat. "Starship Troopers" is like copywrite 1948. Come to think of it, those guys had power armor too.

"Bugs, Mr. Rico!"

chris2146
16-01-2014, 23:48
Absolutely. After everyone has finished taking a hammer to their tyranid collection and GW receives thousands upon thousands of returned broken armies, they will surely cancel the line altogether. Its only a matter of time. I just hope that its before they finally go bankrupt. The internet has assured me that this should happen any day now since 1998 so I figure its reckoning time.

Can only laugh at people like you who have attitudes like this, going bankrupt? hmmmm how does around 7 million pre tax profit sound? does it sound like they are going bankrupt to you? I think not, times are hard and people just don't have the money to throw around like they used to.

The only reason why nid players are complaining is that they can no longer spam biomancy (which they should never of had in the first place, GW have finally realised this and have changed it), and you can no longer play power lists that have a 90-100% win ratio, rather than play a list that a novice WAAC player would use, you now have to use actual skill and proper tactics. The players who are complaining are players who cannot play with skill or tactics thus they say the codex is rubbish.

With all the supplements going around I would not bet against a supplement or data sheet for the missing units, pods, doom etc with models to go with them if we are lucky.

IcedCrow
16-01-2014, 23:57
Can only laugh at people like you who have attitudes like this, going bankrupt? hmmmm how does around 7 million pre tax profit sound? does it sound like they are going bankrupt to you? I think not, times are hard and people just don't have the money to throw around like they used to.

The only reason why nid players are complaining is that they can no longer spam biomancy (which they should never of had in the first place, GW have finally realised this and have changed it), and you can no longer play power lists that have a 90-100% win ratio, rather than play a list that a novice WAAC player would use, you now have to use actual skill and proper tactics. The players who are complaining are players who cannot play with skill or tactics thus they say the codex is rubbish.

With all the supplements going around I would not bet against a supplement or data sheet for the missing units, pods, doom etc with models to go with them if we are lucky.

Laugh away. It was satire and supposed to be laughed at.

toddznidz
17-01-2014, 00:07
Can only laugh at people like you....

To quote the great Homer Simpson, "In case you couldn't tell, he was being sarcastic!"

Kung Fu Hamster
17-01-2014, 02:46
Seriously, though. I know that I have come back into this game after having missed two editions. I know that not everyone collects more for fluff and aesthetics as opposed to tableing all armies that stand before them. I know that GW are far from the perfect, can do no wrong makers of toy soldiers and writers of rules they claim to be. But really.... Is the Codex really as bad as all that? There's so much of this usual teething issues snark that I am not sure if they are genuinely bad, or if it's yet more of the same complaints by folks who had an easier time auto-winning with their armies in previous editions.

It's too early to get an accurate impression of the codex. Right now, we're still in the initial assessment/nerd rage phase. Next week, Timmy the Termagant will peek his head up above the ashen remains of Warseer and Dakka threads on the codex and look around. If he sees the shadow of a Space Marine, there will be about another six weeks of complaining before cooler heads prevail and more data on the overall army performance is collected.

Assuming every Tyranid player hasn't taken a hammer to their models and mailed them off to GW to express their impotent anger at the fact that Tyranids won't auto-win against Taudar, of couse.

Bugaboo
17-01-2014, 03:13
Are Taudar a popular threat in gaming communities? Just curious. I always knew the two got fairly competitive codices, and the fact they are battle brothers made me a little wary, but would they be as popular as say... Spez Mehreens?

IcedCrow
17-01-2014, 03:17
At big tournaments and pick up games training for big tournaments yes.

toddznidz
17-01-2014, 03:35
It's too early to get an accurate impression of the codex.....

I have been at this for quite some time, and I will have to seriously disagree. It is not difficult to tell how a dex will play after a couple of reads. It didn't take a genius to see wraiths, Riptides, warp-spiders, or Centurions getting spammed the first time through. The rules have been pretty much known for a month on this one.

The artwork is nice, the point drops are nice, Canifexes are back, VCs are back, v-thropes are a must include, but the best thing about the dex is the ability to mix in devil-gaunts with ablative gaunts. Swarmlord may be the only viable HQ choice, with the possible exception of T-prime if you are going to take warriors. T-fex with the rupture cannon is well worth it. Exocrine is what it is.

There are a few "might be fun tonight" choices like Mawlocs, Shrikes, Lictors, Haruspex, Flyrants, Crones, etc.

Flush the rest down the toilet.

The good, the "meh", and the ugly.

Losing Command
17-01-2014, 04:30
I have been at this for quite some time, and I will have to seriously disagree. It is not difficult to tell how a dex will play after a couple of reads. It didn't take a genius to see wraiths, Riptides, warp-spiders, or Centurions getting spammed the first time through. The rules have been pretty much known for a month on this one...

Actually it took quite some time before any of those units were considered spam-worthy. There even was an article on BolS about a guy that won a tournament with a 'friendly' eldar army (which included 2 or 3 wraithknights but no waveserpents)
And can you explain why centurion spam is OP ? The first time I hear or read anything about centurion spam being good is in your post :eyebrows: and would love to know the how and why. At release the unit was considered sub-par at best, and right now there are still a lot of people who say there aren't good enough for the points (if not utter garbage)

Slayer-Fan123
17-01-2014, 05:26
This is why you always purchase SOME Synapse Creatures...