PDA

View Full Version : Warrior code??

Piercefierce
16-01-2014, 20:16
Can someone help me work out why this warrior code has allowed people to take scrolls of binding in normal games of warhammer. My understanding is that scrolls and pacts can only be taken if your playing storm of magic. Which I personally never do (rarely anyway). I can't see in the warrior code where this would have changed. Just because your allowed to use more publications at warhammer world doesn't mean you can just break the rules. I might be getting this all wrong. To be truthful I don't really understand it and don't frequent tournaments which could be why I'm
not really understating all this. Any help would be nice. 2 kdaii would be so good haha. Not to mention the kdaii in the monstrous arcanum can be turned into a colossal beast :)

SteveW
16-01-2014, 20:23
It hasn't. It allows people to use forge world books at warhammer world. The Monstrous Arcanum says you take the scroll points from your monster allowance. You don't get a monster allowance in non storm of magic games. If you don't want to play with those models/rules, don't play SoM games.

Navar
16-01-2014, 20:29
Special Note about how to use Scrolls of Binding and Sorcerous Pacts in events at Warhammer World. You can take Scrolls of Binding and Sorcerous Pacts using their normal limits from your Special choice allowance.

I THINK this answers your question.

Piercefierce
16-01-2014, 20:36
So it hasn't changed anything for 99% of players. Why the big commotion then?

Navar
16-01-2014, 20:40
So it hasn't changed anything for 99% of players. Why the big commotion then?

Again I THINK it is because players often view the Warhammer World guidelines as "The way the game should be played." Or "The way the developers intend the game to be played." or something else that isn't just "a particular location's comp." Basically they assign them more gravitas than they deserve.

IcedCrow
16-01-2014, 20:44
Navar said it. People use it as the "official way the game should be played". More importantly, it was the last bastion of why Forge World should not be allowed at tables since Warriors Code prohibited it until recently.

Piercefierce
16-01-2014, 21:04
Thanks guys. It's been confusing me. So I guess all I can take from this is that those chaos dwarf haters really have nothing to stand on anymore (tbh they had nothing anyway it has always been pretty black and white). So my monstrous arcanum, and storm of magic books will continue to go un used (outside of games with close friends lol)

Navar
16-01-2014, 21:06
Thanks guys. It's been confusing me. So I guess all I can take from this is that those chaos dwarf haters really have nothing to stand on anymore (tbh they had nothing anyway it has always been pretty black and white). So my monstrous arcanum, and storm of magic books will continue to go un used (outside of games with close friends lol)

Exactly. Also, IMHO this kind of introduces an interesting way to play (i.e. using special points to pay for Scrolls of Binding.)

I don't play Fantasy enough to mess around with the rules that much, but I can see a lot of people trying the Warhammer World rules in their games.

logan054
16-01-2014, 21:46

Well I wouldn't say unused, no reason why you can't point people towards the warriors code and say, maybe suggest games using bound monsters that come out of the rare.

forseer of fates
16-01-2014, 22:36
They should have said rare in the first place, special slot isn't really constricting anything

logan054
16-01-2014, 22:39
I agree 100%, they might change it next time round, they should have really used some kinda of ally chart as well.

forseer of fates
16-01-2014, 23:27
Yeah, all I can is people abusing the access to certain monsters, like our dwarf player was considering taking a truth sayer , now is taking a frost phoenix, because why wouldn't you they re hands down better than most monsters. If Empire didn't have steam tanks I would be taking them as well.

logan054
16-01-2014, 23:34
Why would a dwarf player want a wizard that can't join any of his units?, I don't mind, it's a couple of less cannons to worry about, thats the things, 2k is pretty restrictive, so people who start loading up on monsters they wouldn't normally take are going to have to drop something, I can't see people wanting to units with banner when you have blood and glory and watch tower to worry about. If people go to monster heavy (or more than normal) then they are going to find some of the monstrous arcanum items really annoying.

forseer of fates
16-01-2014, 23:37
Only really saw the banner being annoying?, that's what put him off, but still utilising a phase which you don't usually get access to.

logan054
16-01-2014, 23:42
The banner will be very annoying, I'm going to have to try and squeeze that in again! people who forget about it (easily done) are going to find monsters failing charges and holding up their army.

Montegue
16-01-2014, 23:46
Tried a truth sayer in my dwarf army last weekend and got my ass handed to me 2/3 games. Looks good on paper, but points are at a serious premium in a dwarf army, and a level 3 will often fail to get a good selection of spells. He's cool, but he's not two organ guns cool.

yabbadabba
16-01-2014, 23:47
On the one hand it's a good thing as it seems to suggest GW is loosening its paranoid control over its games.

On the other hand it's going to require gamers are mature and respectful to get the best out of the games ...........

forseer of fates
16-01-2014, 23:47
Yeah, struggling to find the 25pts to put it in:/

Tae
17-01-2014, 00:33
I'm struggling to find where ...

Stupid Goblins not being allowed magic banners *grumble*

forseer of fates
17-01-2014, 00:43
lol poor goblins, not worth it on the bsb

logan054
17-01-2014, 00:51
On the one hand it's a good thing as it seems to suggest GW is loosening its paranoid control over its games.

On the other hand it's going to require gamers are mature and respectful to get the best out of the games ...........

I honestly don't know why anyone would go to a throne of skulls with a different army than they would normally use, you don't get prizes or anything, the way they work out the victor is a bit odd as well

Yeah, struggling to find the 25pts to put it in:/

I might have managed to fit it in now, I guess I'm going to be moon walking my monsters early game at throne of skulls ;)

forseer of fates
17-01-2014, 00:55
Yeah hate how they work out the victor, gave up on trying to win anything at gt these days, even if you win all your games a person with 2 wins , all friendly game votes and such pollux will win instead

logan054
17-01-2014, 01:15
Meh, just means I will worry less about the gaming, throw some dice, drink some beer and have a laugh and enjoy the speed dating for gamers.

forseer of fates
17-01-2014, 02:10
Meh indeed

VaeVictisGames
17-01-2014, 11:10

Uhm...what "paranoid control over it's games"? The rulebooks themselves say players should feel free to alter or add rules as they see fit, GW have always said use ForgeWorld if you want to. To say they were controlling how their games were played is ridiculous.

The only thing restricting how games were played was the daft insistence by some gamers that tournament rules should have any influence over non-tournament games. It's irrelevant what the 'Warrior's Code' says outside of Warhammer World events, the only change is that it can no longer be used by some as an excuse to restrict ForgeWorld use. But i'm sure those players will come up with another reason soon enough.

Jim
17-01-2014, 11:35
I think it's an interesting development.

I have an Empire army and loved being able to use some weird gribblies in SoM games - this now gives me a chance to dust off 'Nog the Giant' and play him in (otherwise) normal games...

I guess there could be some broken combos but for me it just allows me to use models in my collection that don't get to see the gaming table very often.

Jim

yabbadabba
17-01-2014, 17:28
I honestly don't know why anyone would go to a throne of skulls with a different army than they would normally use, you don't get prizes or anything, the way they work out the victor is a bit odd as well Not quite sure why you quoted me for this?

Uhm...what "paranoid control over it's games"? The rulebooks themselves say players should feel free to alter or add rules as they see fit, GW have always said use ForgeWorld if you want to. To say they were controlling how their games were played is ridiculous. Actually GW have had a very tight control over how they promote and play their games. As my sig indicates, I am a great advocate of "play your own way", and GW has always said that people should play their games their own way. But internally from the late 90's GW exerted more and more rigid control over the different games, how they were perceived and how the company officially promoted playing, painting, modelling and collecting. This coincided with the increasing control over IP and the approach to marketing and sales GW took. Hence why for many years all FW, then later just FW rules, were not allowed in official GW events. Unfortunately this was banged on so much that an internal sense of paranoid control became very evident, one which I believe has infected more easly influenced parts of the community with the idea of "canon".

The only thing restricting how games were played was the daft insistence by some gamers that tournament rules should have any influence over non-tournament games. It's irrelevant what the 'Warrior's Code' says outside of Warhammer World events, the only change is that it can no longer be used by some as an excuse to restrict ForgeWorld use. But i'm sure those players will come up with another reason soon enough. The FW argument is not one to have here, as it has been done to death and still reached no conclusion. The only right way to play the games is how you and your circle of friends and gaming colleagues choose to.

logan054
17-01-2014, 17:40
Not quite sure why you quoted me for this?

Well the part about people being respectful and what not got me thinking and putting what you said in context of a GW event. Taken a list to a event that completely breaks the game seems a bit daft considering how the event is actually run.

quietus1986
18-01-2014, 17:06
monster arcanum has a rule to use monsters with out storm of magic its juits 25to 50 % extra points on monsters.

Spiney Norman
18-01-2014, 18:56
Yeah hate how they work out the victor, gave up on trying to win anything at gt these days, even if you win all your games a person with 2 wins , all friendly game votes and such pollux will win instead

I thought the only way to get a friendly game vote at ToS was to lose your game, and do it gracefully ;)

SteveW
18-01-2014, 23:53
monster arcanum has a rule to use monsters with out storm of magic its juits 25to 50 % extra points on monsters.
Do you have a page number, I can't find it in mine.