PDA

View Full Version : Update of IA 11, what are your thoughts on the eldar corsair...?

Milanovitch
17-01-2014, 14:56
After a recent update on the shadow spectre, hornet and Irilliyth, I am anticipating the corsair update.

I imagine them getting battle focus, as the rangers get it in the Eldar codex. And the laser blaster being assault 3 as the swooping hawk, this would make it a good alternative and fair to the shuriken catapult. I expect the price to go 2 points up for the basic corsair, or a higher cost for the jet pack option. I can also see the venom being able to upgrade the twin linked catapult for a cannon, making it a even better choice.

The CW/DE allies in the elite slot will go i think, since the allies rules provide better options. Maybe we will see a new entry there.

The fire storm could be worked on as well, too expensive and not effective enough for an AA from the most advanced race of 40k...

One thing that bugged me when I got my copy of the book is that we see corsair vipers in the book in the colours of the different corsair factions and no entry in the army list. Despite the hornet being a much better choice in the fast attack, we could see those in the troop section... just a thought.

And just a word on Irillyth, the first update was terrible, too expensive and rule that seemed totally untested, he now comes with a better cost and rules worthy of a phoenix lord. Prove that FW is listening to the feedback from the community and correct their mistakes. This gave me a little hope for the future of GW, little tho...;)

So what do you think..?

Still Standing
17-01-2014, 15:23
Where can I find updated Hornet rules? :)

Hendarion
17-01-2014, 15:27
Imperial Armour: Apocalypse 2013

Milanovitch
17-01-2014, 15:30
In the apoc book from from forge world. ;)

Updated from IA 11 that is...

Saunders
17-01-2014, 16:47
TBH, I don't think corsairs will get battle focus. While rangers did get battle focus, they're still technically on the Path system (rangers that stray completely from the path tend to join with corsairs or worse) and corsairs getting battle focus would make as much sense as them getting power from pain tokens.

They'll probably be upped to WS/BS 4 as a standard, and hopefully costed appropriately. I don't think they'll get their own army-wide special rule, or anything drastically changing the function of the army list.

On a side note, I'm rather dismayed that IA11 has been getting its updates piecemeal and over multiple products.

Milanovitch
20-01-2014, 12:33
I disagree, rangers are not anymore on the path, they are wanderers they have quit their home and go wherever they want. And like the corsairs they visit exodite worlds, pocket planes in the webway, scout worlds at war and report to the craftworld they are coming from giving them intelligence.

Like the corsair. Corsairs have bounds to craft worlds, help them in need of war and give them precious informations about the galaxy around them. They are eldars, they have been on the paths.

And they are mentioned as experienced, battle hardened warrior, so yes to me they should have battle focus, as they are much closer to the eldar of the craftworld (they come mostly from there) than the eldar from the dark city. They have learned to control their passion.

They could have battle focus but have to pass a LD test at the beginning of the turn.

I am also sharing the feeling about the way forge world update IA11, everything that comes is power armour and such.

Mauler
20-01-2014, 12:55
We won't be getting a proper IA11 update anytime soon unfortunately. I mailed FW asking that very question back in October after I got my hands on the IA3 2nd edition:

From: forgeworld [mailto:forgeworld@gwplc.com (forgeworld@gwplc.com)]
Sent: 26 October 2013 13:24
To: Mauler
Subject: Re: 6E Eldar...? :]

Hi,
Thank you for your email. The Corsair list in Imperial Armour 11 will be updated, however it does require a significant over haul to bring it in line with 6th Edition and the latest Eldar codex. So, what his means it it will be a while yet before this is update as a PDF release. Any 2nd edition version of IA 11 would be a few years away from being carried out.

If there is anything further we can do to assist you, or if you have any queries about the information we have requested or provided, please telephone us.

Regards,
Forge World

Looks like all their resources are going to the Heresy 30k books for the time being. :(

PS - I also expect Corsairs to get Battle Focus and a BS/WS4 bump.

Milanovitch
20-01-2014, 13:11
Thanks for the info Mauler.

I also wrote them in september and the answer was that they were working on it and that the update would be up "in the upcoming month", so i don't hold my breath anymore...

That sudden Irillyth update surprised me and gave me hope somehow...

Mauler
20-01-2014, 14:17
The Irillyth update was excellent...well, the second one anyway ;)

Saunders
20-01-2014, 16:25
Hi there.

We are working on an updated version of the Corsairs Army list for 6th edition 40k and we had planned to publish this earlier in the year. However, after reviewing what was needed for this update it was decided that more thorough work was needed for it than first thought so the list is now likely to be available at the beginning of next year. At this current time we do not know if it will appear as a downloadable PDF or as part of a new Imperial Armour book. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

If there is anything further we can do to assist you, or if you have any queries about the information we have requested or provided, please telephone us.

Regards,

Forge World

I received that in the end of November. Considering that we just received a PDF update for Irillyth, I'd say that corsairs will probably get the PDF update treatment sooner rather than later.

Still Standing
21-02-2014, 00:45
Having spoken to a FW author today, it is unlikely we'll see a Corsair update soon. He said there were plans in the works, but nothing concrete yet.

Saunders
21-02-2014, 00:53
Disappointing, but thanks for the update.

Dr.Clock
21-02-2014, 06:23
I think the real issue is going to be that the corsair jetpacks are made mostly redundant by Battle Focus. If they were straight-up jump packs + battle focus, with Bladestorm on their catapults, that might work, but could either get abusive quickly, or not worth the points.

That is, the problem is largely that the scoot and shoot that was so cool about the list when it first arrived has been taken over by the entirety of the Eldar codex. As a result, it puts a revamp in something of a quandary as it's hard to imagine a Battle Focus+1 kind of deal... or at least pointing it appropriately.

I could envision it being a good way to deep strike troop forward, as well as giving a move + d6 as movement, followed by the battle focus run/shoot or shoot run, although that also ramps up the 'rolls per turn' a bit.

It's an interesting question, to be sure.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Hendarion
21-02-2014, 06:29
Having spoken to a FW author today, it is unlikely we'll see a Corsair update soon. He said there were plans in the works, but nothing concrete yet.They found a different cash cow to milk - everything else will be on the hold - obviously.

Mauler
21-02-2014, 06:57
They found a different cash cow to milk - everything else will be on the hold - obviously.

Yeah when profits are down making more money is clearly not the way to go. :rolleyes:

But yeah, as I said previously, it's a shame as I really want a 2nd edition to go with my Taros book but IA11 - not holding my breath. :(

Milanovitch
21-02-2014, 11:10
i wrote to FW on the subject today... (rather fast i might add)
They replied :

"We are pushing the rules team to update the rules for Eldar Corsairs and they keep replying with soon. They have recently told us they have got half way through writing them but this was 2 weeks ago. We are informing them every time a customer emails about the rule update so that they can see how important it is to you all. "

So, something is going on, whatever "half way through" is meaning...

It is true that after the introduction of the battle focus rule the corsair jet pack looked obsolete. and i am very curious to see what they are gonna come with. After the recent update of Irillyth, i really think they can bring a good set of rules for the corsair, with army wide rules and warlord traits that fit the devious background of the corsair.