PDA

View Full Version : Is there a purpose to Bonesword/Lash Whip for Tyrants?

Vulcan7200
19-01-2014, 23:11
I'm getting into Tyranids finally, and with the new Lash Whip change, is it worth it? Before, if you lower people to Ini 1, which was beneficial for other units in combat. Now it's only increasing the initiative for a model that is already Ini 5. You get instant death on a 6 due to the Bonesword, but is that all worth the points your paying versus just keeping on the Scything Talons?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Ssilmath
19-01-2014, 23:34
To let you strike before MEQ HQ's and Eldar of all kinds.

Minsc
19-01-2014, 23:35
Initiative 5 isn't -that- high, so lash whips can be worth it.

Xerkics
19-01-2014, 23:52
if you dont get double brain leach devourers might just as well have a heavy weapon and sword and whip, so ye its a viable option but not as good as before when it reduced init imo.

wyvirn
20-01-2014, 01:22
Toxin Sacs and Lifedrain are a pretty nasty combo...

HereComesTomorrow
20-01-2014, 01:36
I always run a lash/bone combo on my warlord flyrant, but them I'm a traditionalist. Anything else seems wrong.

The bonesword is handy for IDing Riptides.

Xerkics
20-01-2014, 01:58
I always run a lash/bone combo on my warlord flyrant, but them I'm a traditionalist. Anything else seems wrong.

The bonesword is handy for IDing Riptides.

I have a metal tyrant walking tyrant in addition to the flyrant so the walking guy comes equiped with a heavy weapon and sword and whip , i know its more effective with dual dakka but it looks really stupid with those guns.

Baaltor
20-01-2014, 08:48
Now it's only increasing the initiative for a model that is already Ini 5. You get instant death on a 6 due to the Bonesword, but is that all worth the points your paying versus just keeping on the Scything Talons?

I was assuming you were asking rhetorically, but then I realised maybe you're serious; but either way my answer is in short: Yes. ID is very good, and the lash is very good too. The opportunities you get to use these upgrades are, granted, rarer; but the thing is that if you've equipped your tyrant thusly, to make certain you're getting your money's worth you should make sure that you're engineering opportunities to make use of this wargear. Yeah, if you're using your tyrant to thresh hordes it may not be worth it, maybe still, but if you're using the tyrant in a roll it excels: crushing heros, these two things are dynamite.

I suspect at 30 points they'd still see good use. If you don't want to use the tyrant to kill HQs and the like you should consider other options for the reasons you said. But you still may find it worthwhile...

TL;DR: 20 points for these two things is very economical, but not OP.