PDA

View Full Version : wanting to start a new army

lector#1
20-01-2014, 10:57
hey guys im wanting to start a new army ive alsway done marines of some description from emperors children to dark angels and i want something different ... im tossing up between necrons and tyranids

can you guys give me pros and cons of both armies what hq's are good to take and a rough idea of what i would put in a 1500pt list??

thanks in advance

Teraks
20-01-2014, 11:33
Looking at all the whining at the new Nid-dex I would recommend Necron.

Got a Necron army myself and enjoy them very much.

Necron Pros:
Good flyers

Anti tank:
Jump infantry with lascannons / relentless gives high maneuverability.

Close combat:
Lynches are massive in combat, but you need to play them well to get them into combat due to lack of assault vehicle. Thus quite expensive.
Wraiths have both 3++ save and move fast and ignore all terrain both dangerous and diff.
Warscythes are NOT unwieldy, huge advantage.

Shooty:
Tesla arcs are fun to play with, lots of S7. Annhilation barges are cheap.

Wierd tactics:
Cryptec can join a group of immortals to every turn teleport them and let them fire their weapons within rapid fire range at whatever target is the best.

Example army that i played the other day:

HQ
Destroyer lord, warscythe, ress orb

Elites
5x Deathmarks

Troops
10x Immortals, Night scythe
10x Warriors, gauss, Night scythe
20x Warriors, gauss, Ghost ark

Fast
6x Wraiths
3x Heavy destroyers
5x Destroyers

Heavy
Annhilation barge, tesla

The destroyer lord goes with the wraiths to add that nasty scythe-power.

Note however: I don't play competitive, lost of people would probably complain at the list. But its fun to play. Also when making the list i knew i would not face any flyers nor AV 13+.
If you face AV 13-14 you might want another heavy destroyer team.

Elenneth89
20-01-2014, 11:42
why no orks? everyone loves orks! they're green, ugly and they stink... a lot, which is cool!
also you can have an excuse to drink beer while playing something else then SW, which is even cooler!

lector#1
20-01-2014, 11:48
i dont want to do orks because painting that much green would make me suicidal LOL.... the main problem i have with necrons is i cant decide weather to have a necron lord on foot or in a dostroyer body but i think you cleared that up if he can join a unit of wraiths ill just convert a necron lord up as a wraith and he can be counts as destroyer lord!

Griefbringer
20-01-2014, 12:08
On the other hand, orks do not care about punctuation.

Also, necrons might not exactly provide immense variety when it comes to colour schemes.

lector#1
20-01-2014, 12:10
thats ok im not the biggest fan of painting the faster the better

Spiney Norman
20-01-2014, 12:14
On the other hand, orks do not care about punctuation.

Also, necrons might not exactly provide immense variety when it comes to colour schemes.

There aren't really that many armies that do promote much variety in colour scheme if we're honest. Eldar is about the only one where you wouldn't normally be painting all your units the same colour, and it is possible to get as much variety into your necron palate as just about space marine army by using different metallic colours, painting the carapaces and guns a different colour etc. Not everyone does their Crons 'studio Boltgun'.

bhusus
20-01-2014, 22:00
There aren't really that many armies that do promote much variety in colour scheme if we're honest. Eldar is about the only one where you wouldn't normally be painting all your units the same colour, and it is possible to get as much variety into your necron palate as just about space marine army by using different metallic colours, painting the carapaces and guns a different colour etc. Not everyone does their Crons 'studio Boltgun'.

I've seen Necrons done in "ceramics" before - looked pretty damn amazing.

Chem-Dog
21-01-2014, 09:46
Real heroes play IG.

Bloodangeldante
29-01-2014, 01:21
Even more honorable heroes play blood angels

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Losing Command
29-01-2014, 02:21
Necrons play much like Marines, but without being good in CC and ATSKNF. Same stats, sometimes a 4+ instead of a 3+ and what are basicly boltguns that glance on a 6. Oh and they can get back up after dieing. Maybe it's just me but Necrons felt to similar to the marines I tryed to get a break from :p