PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Just... Collect..?

Bugaboo
21-01-2014, 17:43
So I think I found out why I have such a hard time comprehending the hate and bile slung at GW over their current status quo. I've not played enough games. I never played a single game of 3rd, 4th, (despite having the rules for both, and more than a few codices) and had taken a break from the hobby before 5th even rolled around, only returning around the time the 6th Ed Chaos Codex was starting to become a thing.

I've been trying since then to return to the hobby with an actual intent to play the game, as previously it was a matter of a lack of funds, or a local store, or 40k nerd friends which stopped me. Now, we have a local store, I could very easily make gaming friends there (I would love to play against our local store manager, fo sure, as he's a fellow Chaos fan), and the quality of models produced now makes it very hard for me to not want to collect.

But, thing is, I am feeling nearly put off the gaming side of it, on account of... well, here. There are models out there I would love to collect and field, or unit types I would like to convert up and field, just because the time put into putting them together makes it all worth it. There are some I've been putting together lately which are very simplistic conversions, but they just look so damn good. The fact that there are so many plastic kits now makes this even more of a possibility.

My Raptors, for example, are a mix of loyalist assault marines and the raptor kit which, while not designed for easy kit bashing, can look pretty sweet with minimal trimming and some dabs of plastic glue. My chaos termies are going to have power swords from the CSM kit, and combi-plasmas from the loyalist commander kit. I've made one of each of these so far, to see if it can work, and I can tell you it does. If I actually had a digital or phone camera worth a damn I'd show you guys. :P

But, I digress. I like aesthetics in this hobby. That was the thing that attracted me to the hobby in the first place. Nowadays, though? I go to the local store and se armies fielded that either haven't had a lick of paint put on them, or seem like they were undercoated and then the collector called it a day. Now I know people have real lives to account for, and might not have the time for painting all their toy soldiers to an at last adequate degree, but I dunno, kinda begs why they collect in the first place.

Then I read threads on here, about how armies are ruined, how badong GW are and how they are going to sell all their expensive models they've collected over the years on E-bay (or smash them with hammers) just because GW didn't make them uber enough in the current edition. It just comes across as kinda... childish? I mean, can't you just put those same models (hopefully painted, though from what I see and read, I doubt it) in a cabinet and be proud of the collection even if you never get a game in?

I dunno, just all the hate and bile that arises this edition kinda makes me remember the days when this was a modeler's hobby. Because nowadays, I feel like it's not really seen as a modeler's hobby so much as just another medium for manchildren to act out their kill everything fantasies, and aesthetics be damned if an army cannot WAAC on the battlefield. The same sort of mindset as FPS players online.

I really don't care to give an "I'm not trolling!" disclaimer, or anything, because those who've shown their true colours on here are going to treat it as such regardless, but the bottom line of my rant is... Does anyone just collect and paint for the sake of collecting and painting..?

IcedCrow
21-01-2014, 17:46
I frequently tell a lot of the guys that I know that don't use internet forums to avoid them, because when you come on there you get dunked in a tank of thick bile that is often blown out of proportion, leading you to believe that if you don't field X and Y that you will get tabled and that if you use any units but the ones the internet says work you will get tabled, which are all fundamentally untrue. (and why I often post in contradiction to the rage, because a lot of people judge the internet as gospel unfortunately and the rage is usually not constructive)

Case in point - the new nid dex dropped and it was passed as a foregone conclusion that no one could ever compete with them or play them without getting tabled by everything, and then events have passed and behold, tyranid players played and some even did really well.

My advice would be to get a small game going and judge the game for yourself, not what the internet says.

Beppo1234
21-01-2014, 17:54
I'm more of a collector than a player I guess.

I like how the game side of the hobby, provides rules by which I collect. I like having my armies all up to date, even though I rarely ever play. It's a nice way to collect, as it stops your collection from growing out of control.

de Selby
21-01-2014, 18:01
I'm like Beppo1234, I enjoy collecting armies, but I seldom play.

I would like the rules to be balanced because it increases the chance that an army I've collected because it looks good and is thematically right won't just be crushed on the tabletop when I do play.

mostlyharmless
21-01-2014, 18:01
When I'm painting at my FLGS, the unsupervised gamestore kids will often ask me what army I play. There are two potential answers. 1. I chuckle good naturedly, saying "I don't play. I paint." 2. I chuckle good naturedly, saying "What don't I play?"

That is to say, it has been a very long time since I've bothered with the competitive scene, and I don't see much point. I enjoy every aspect of the hobby, and the games are only a small part compared to the countless hours I've put into building, sculpting, and painting my forces. They also are given to understand that I am by no means a pushover on the battlefield, as I have a bit of a fearsome reputation there.

Menthak
21-01-2014, 18:18
Everything has a use if you know how.

I'm a collector of Necromunda stuff, just because we use unofficial Killteam Rules to play a Skirmish game instead of Necromunda (So, technically don't play, do collect) but now they've discontinued Arbites I stopped.

As for the general game, we have a sort of demi-rule that if you model something cool that doesn't make sense, we'll make rules for it. So we collect first, but do play.

Bugaboo
21-01-2014, 18:25
Some swift and nice responses. And good to read, too. It actually brings back fond memories of when I first got into the hobby. :)

The Black Shield
21-01-2014, 18:25
I have "WAY" over 50,000 points worth of army(this is not counting my Baneblade, Caestus, Achilles, and an unknown number of marines[I added this up a few years ago and have continued to collect]) and very, very rarely play. I'm the only person I know that can quite easily use WYSIWYG. I love conversions and even make some minis just for fun.

nedsta
21-01-2014, 18:27
I collect and haven't played for years. Only played a few intro games instore in the past 5 years with my missus as she wanted to get some goblins. I'm more of a horder and painter and don't really have any interest in playing any of the games just yet.

Theocracity
21-01-2014, 18:43
I do a little bit of collecting in the service of modeling projects -though I haven't followed up to the degree I'd like. Those boxes of Space Wolves and Skeleton Warriors are staring at me from the shelf...

insectum7
21-01-2014, 18:47
In the off years when I am not playing, I still manage to accrue models somehow. . .

Eldartank
21-01-2014, 18:56
I've just come to the realization that I'm more of a collector than a gamer. I haven't played a game since 4th edition. I have been keeping up to date on the rulebooks and the codices that interest me, though. I am currently in the middle of building a Chaos Daemons army (Khorne with some Tzeentch), and adding some models to my Deathwing army. When I finish those, I might actually try playing a game. But for the past few years, I have simply been collecting and painting. I also have lots of Imperial Guard tanks of varying types (including a Baneblade), Crimson Fists Space Marines, Tyranids (my favorite), Grey Knights, and enough models to build complete Eldar, Ork and Necron armies. I also have several nicely painted Flesh Tearers Death Company and Honor Guard models with a Sanguinary High Priest. I had a full Flesh Tearers army, but I converted/repainted all but the Death Company and Honor Guard into Crimson Fists.

And after typing all that, I now realize that I have WAY TOO MANY MODELS, especially with so many of them being unassembled, or not even opened yet. Yeah, I guess I really AM more of a collector than a gamer..... ;)

Szalik
21-01-2014, 19:05
I haven't played for more than a year now. I still collect miniatures, but I focus on the older ones mostly, that I always wanted to have when I was a teenager and remember them from my local indy store or White Dwarf. My collection still mainly revolve around armies that I used to play with single miniatures from other armies (or systems like Warzone).

NagashLover
21-01-2014, 19:08
When I'm painting at my FLGS, the unsupervised gamestore kids will often ask me what army I play. There are two potential answers. 1. I chuckle good naturedly, saying "I don't play. I paint." 2. I chuckle good naturedly, saying "What don't I play?"

That is to say, it has been a very long time since I've bothered with the competitive scene, and I don't see much point. I enjoy every aspect of the hobby, and the games are only a small part compared to the countless hours I've put into building, sculpting, and painting my forces. They also are given to understand that I am by no means a pushover on the battlefield, as I have a bit of a fearsome reputation there.

Very well stated and quite similar to myself...outside of the fearsome reputation. Last time I played "competitive" (or tournament minded) was back in the era of the 90's. More widespread reemergence of Ska and the wonderful sounds of grunge (R.I.P.).
Mostly play narratives in fact over the years my gaming group has made multiple "Big Book(s) of Battles" where we've written down how the game played and added narratives to them. Painting and modeling is far more my time than playing but I still do play.

Start off small, as others stated, and aim more towards creating an enjoyable gaming experience rather than a mindset of "win/lose min/max lists". That said it doesn't mean you let others win, the strategy and challenge comes in with how you play the models you set down will display your playing skills even if they aren't the "best" via internet preferences.

gwarsh41
21-01-2014, 19:36
I just collected for a while. At first it was playing, then the local area became a bit crappy, and I moved away. So I sold just about everything. A little while later I started focusing on converting and painting the models I thought looked coolest. It was pretty fun, I had planned to have a nice armies on parade style converted army. Nothing practical, but a whole lot of cool models. Then 6th edition came out, and I ended up moving close to some friends who play. I sold off a lot of my conversions and partial conversions to make room for buying units I could field. (All the conversions were too impractical to use).

So now I play as well as collect.

mostlyharmless
21-01-2014, 19:52
Very well stated and quite similar to myself...outside of the fearsome reputation. Last time I played "competitive" (or tournament minded) was back in the era of the 90's. More widespread reemergence of Ska and the wonderful sounds of grunge (R.I.P.).
Mostly play narratives in fact over the years my gaming group has made multiple "Big Book(s) of Battles" where we've written down how the game played and added narratives to them. Painting and modeling is far more my time than playing but I still do play.

Start off small, as others stated, and aim more towards creating an enjoyable gaming experience rather than a mindset of "win/lose min/max lists". That said it doesn't mean you let others win, the strategy and challenge comes in with how you play the models you set down will display your playing skills even if they aren't the "best" via internet preferences.

The important thing is to chuckle good naturedly, knowing that the model you're working on is likely older than the kid asking you the question.

Kakapo42
21-01-2014, 19:57
So I think I found out why I have such a hard time comprehending the hate and bile slung at GW over their current status quo. I've not played enough games. I never played a single game of 3rd, 4th, (despite having the rules for both, and more than a few codices) and had taken a break from the hobby before 5th even rolled around, only returning around the time the 6th Ed Chaos Codex was starting to become a thing.

I've been trying since then to return to the hobby with an actual intent to play the game, as previously it was a matter of a lack of funds, or a local store, or 40k nerd friends which stopped me. Now, we have a local store, I could very easily make gaming friends there (I would love to play against our local store manager, fo sure, as he's a fellow Chaos fan), and the quality of models produced now makes it very hard for me to not want to collect.

But, thing is, I am feeling nearly put off the gaming side of it, on account of... well, here. There are models out there I would love to collect and field, or unit types I would like to convert up and field, just because the time put into putting them together makes it all worth it. There are some I've been putting together lately which are very simplistic conversions, but they just look so damn good. The fact that there are so many plastic kits now makes this even more of a possibility.

My Raptors, for example, are a mix of loyalist assault marines and the raptor kit which, while not designed for easy kit bashing, can look pretty sweet with minimal trimming and some dabs of plastic glue. My chaos termies are going to have power swords from the CSM kit, and combi-plasmas from the loyalist commander kit. I've made one of each of these so far, to see if it can work, and I can tell you it does. If I actually had a digital or phone camera worth a damn I'd show you guys. :P

But, I digress. I like aesthetics in this hobby. That was the thing that attracted me to the hobby in the first place. Nowadays, though? I go to the local store and se armies fielded that either haven't had a lick of paint put on them, or seem like they were undercoated and then the collector called it a day. Now I know people have real lives to account for, and might not have the time for painting all their toy soldiers to an at last adequate degree, but I dunno, kinda begs why they collect in the first place.

Then I read threads on here, about how armies are ruined, how badong GW are and how they are going to sell all their expensive models they've collected over the years on E-bay (or smash them with hammers) just because GW didn't make them uber enough in the current edition. It just comes across as kinda... childish? I mean, can't you just put those same models (hopefully painted, though from what I see and read, I doubt it) in a cabinet and be proud of the collection even if you never get a game in?

I dunno, just all the hate and bile that arises this edition kinda makes me remember the days when this was a modeler's hobby. Because nowadays, I feel like it's not really seen as a modeler's hobby so much as just another medium for manchildren to act out their kill everything fantasies, and aesthetics be damned if an army cannot WAAC on the battlefield. The same sort of mindset as FPS players online.

I really don't care to give an "I'm not trolling!" disclaimer, or anything, because those who've shown their true colours on here are going to treat it as such regardless, but the bottom line of my rant is... Does anyone just collect and paint for the sake of collecting and painting..?

*Raises hand* This used to be me exactly. I have been in this hobby for over 10 years, and I can count the games I've played on one hand, with fingers to spare. On here I call myself a hobbyist instead of a 'gamer'. Last year I started up Fantasy with a Wood Elf army packed full of things that supposedly cannot be used, purely because I love how the models look.

At least I used to be just a collector. See, something happened a few years ago. I started into Battlefleet Gothic. And it's tradition of background and naming ships, along with seeing a brilliant army backstory on Advanced Tau Tactica, changed me. So now I am as much a storyteller as I am a collector or hobbyist. Now it's not enough to just have a good looking force, it has to have every character and unit named and a rich extensive mythology and backstory behind as well.

I intend to start playing more games though, if only to show off how awesome my forces look. And I don't care if I'll be wiped off the table on turn 3, because even if I do I'll still look awesome while it happens, and I consider having a fantastic looking force with a nice backstory to be the true victory. If I get at least one compliment on how my army/fleet looks over the course of a game, I consider it a win regardless of the outcome.

My philosophy is: "If you think it looks awesome or you like it's background, field it, in-game efficiency be damned."

So go out to that store and play some games, and crush those unpainted and undercoated forces before the might of your amazingly painted army. Even if you do run into some extremely competitive person* who wins in three turns, you can look at their unpainted models and smile to yourself knowing who the real winner is.

*No offence intended to competitive gamers. If you find yourself in this situation you can consider yourself the real winner on your own terms as well.

Knifeparty
21-01-2014, 20:23
After 6th edition dropped and all of the Codecii for the armies that I play are pretty much terrible, I just collect now. The game is not in a state that I'm happy with currently, so I'll just wait it out and hopefully I'll have some beautifully painted armies to show for it.

Wishing
21-01-2014, 23:24
I'm definitely 99% a collector, and when I do play it is using a homebrewed mix of the 2nd and 6th edition rules, not the real rules. I haven't played with the real rules for 40k since 3rd edition.

I think my hobby passion is related to the idea of collecting armies that *can* be used for playing - I don't make dioramas or buy models I can't somehow fit into an army theme, for example - but actually using them for playing is not necessary for my enjoyment of them. At least 50% of my 40k collection (I have small armies for a range of different forces) has never been played with.

That said, that's the case for 40k. I also play Dungeonbowl, and I regularly use almost all my models for that game to play with. :)

That's one way to get out of the doom of Warseer negativity - play homebrewed rules or really obscure games.

bhusus
21-01-2014, 23:46
I used to collect when I started 'Nids in 3rd - I like the idea of having at least one of each model, but since I've started playing more, the game aspect started taking over what I did and didn't purchase. Now, unfortunately, cost plays a bigger role than it used to, but that is kind of my own fault, seeing as I collect 3 armies in each WFB and 40K...

Bugaboo
22-01-2014, 00:23
I think where the collector's mindset tends to win out, is while those who ragequit their collection when an edition makes them "unplayable" might think they're sticking it to GW, they might kick themselves later when a future edition makes their army exactly what they wanted in the first place. Rules change. Models are forever.

bhusus
22-01-2014, 00:32
I think where the collector's mindset tends to win out, is while those who ragequit their collection when an edition makes them "unplayable" might think they're sticking it to GW, they might kick themselves later when a future edition makes their army exactly what they wanted in the first place. Rules change. Models are forever.

I'm personally divided on this very issue right now; I'm not happy with what GW is doing with the game on the rules side...but the minis...the sweet sweet minis....

Bugaboo
22-01-2014, 01:06
Don't get me wrong. I know this means squat (here it comes...) for.... :cool: squat players, genestealer cult players, Lost and the Damned players and others who actually lost an entire army list. So I am aware GW are quite capable of fault when it comes to some of their business moves.

Wishing
22-01-2014, 07:10
Don't get me wrong. I know this means squat (here it comes...) for.... :cool: squat players, genestealer cult players, Lost and the Damned players and others who actually lost an entire army list. So I am aware GW are quite capable of fault when it comes to some of their business moves.

But part of the point of this thread is that those players haven't lost their collections, right? So if you adopt the perspective of a collector rather than a gamer, you haven't lost anything at all.

Bugaboo
22-01-2014, 09:12
But part of the point of this thread is that those players haven't lost their collections, right? So if you adopt the perspective of a collector rather than a gamer, you haven't lost anything at all.

True that. I suppose the point I was making there was that a Codex faux pas one edition is a little more forgivable than robbing people of a playable army full stop.

Harwammer
22-01-2014, 11:12
As a collector your army being 'squatted' is desirable as it makes your collection more collectable ;).

I'd put myself most as a modeller. My biggest enjoyment is customising each and every one of my models. Pouring over rule/source books comes second, gaming third and painting comes after that (all enjoyable aspects of the hobby). My love of conversions means I can't be much of a collector (as my collection is rapidly cannibalised to sate my inspiration) but I feel I have, in many respects, more of a collector's than a gamer's outlook on the hobby.

I don't understand gamers that spend money on new models, spend time on assembling and painting them to a 'gaming standard' then as soon as a 'bad' edition hits them sell out their models

Karak Norn Clansman
22-01-2014, 11:24
I mainly collect 40k and Lotr, and seldom play them. It'll change with 40k, though.

grimnar1031
22-01-2014, 12:02
I like your thread nice to hear from someone who isnt straight complaining from the out.

I count myself as a collector and gamer, my first model was a RTB01 marine on day of launch (1987 yes I am old ;-) ) I have nearly every army in WFB, 40K, epic etc and really enjoy converting and playing, even though I am a poor to adequate painter. I also dislike the hate shown on these forums when in a persons opinion the new army book make their force "unplayable" my favorate army is nids (I love the new codex - very fun looking) and sisters and I use a ballanced list most games without going mad for a specialised force and do increadably well with it (won the Cumbria challange at GW nottingham last year using the white dwarf sisters list - another "poor list") my frequent opponents are power games (one uses 3 riptides in 1750pts) and he loses far more than he wins and another one has 2 eldar wraithknights - (dosnt like it when the sisters kill one in turn one and the second in turn 2).

There will always be unhappy people constantly whinging and complaining, but hopefully you can find some like minded people who will appreciate OUR hobby and continue to have many more happy years as a collector.

A.T.
22-01-2014, 12:15
Started out as a player, happy to use whatever proxy model came to hand. Shifted over the years to the hobby/collection side with less games and more time spent painting and customising models.

The collection side of the hobby has also been drying up over the past years, with SoB as my main army there just isn't anything left to buy after 17 years.

FredrikR
22-01-2014, 14:27
Back when I started out (early 90s or so, tail end of Rogue Trader and 40k 2nd Edition) we played very seldomly. Mostly we collected, painted, planned great victories and the next big unit to deploy, but getting around to playing...not so much.

Lost interest somewhere in 3rd Edition (1998-ish). Stowed all my stuff (Orks, Chaos Marines, High Elves and some Skaven+Wood Elves, loads of Epic stuff). Cue work, family, and other hobbies...

Some old/new friends managed to lure me back with the Dark Vengeance set, and actually managed to play more games since painting up my Dark Angels than I did during the entire previous stint in the 90s(!).

But to answer the question: Not really, I enjoy playing the game and this edition is very enjoyable. But even with the increased amount of gaming this time around it just doesn't happen that often. So my geneseed probably contains more of the collector gene than the gamer gene... :-)

Sir Didymus
22-01-2014, 15:50
I collect to game, but I wouldn't field an unpainted army, and most of the fun in the game comes from marveling at other peoples models.

When reentering wargaming I started fantasy for its stories, but I'm concentrating more on 40k these days, because each individual model gets to shine more :)

Bugaboo
23-01-2014, 08:13
Looking at some of the responses has actually given me some food for thought regarding my own collector vs gamer MO. I was thinking I had to use the models I have kitbashed so far in an army, simply because I made them. But I am thinking I might actually make them my collector's pieces. Kathal has been a guy I've hoped they make as a special character for a while, now. But hell, since they haven't and I have, I will paint him up to a decent standard, and maybe even enter him into my local store's painting contest. Then all can behold his cannibalistic black and white glory. ;p

And an answer from another thread, while at first taken as an attempt to bash something I was passionate about, I can actually see a small measure of wisdom in. As such, I think I am going to quit that lingering and unhealthy habit of Sons of Malice addiction, and go for something more mainstream as my actual gaming army.

I still want aesthetics over competitive, mind, as that's what's more important to me, at the end of the day. i suppose it's just down to picking a legion. Two of them are actual long term favourites of mine. The Iron Warriors ever since the Storm of Iron novel, and the Alpha Legion ever since 3.5 where they were the only legion with chaos cultists. Kinda swaying towards AL, right now, as I've never tried painting scales before, and might be more of a fun challenge than hazard lines.

Abaraxas
23-01-2014, 10:10
It's not what I particularly want, but I rarely get a game in so I'd go with collector/painter.
Everything I collect is for use in games though, as in the units are kitted out accordingly etc.

Erazmus_M_Wattle
23-01-2014, 10:26
I'm much more a collector now than I used to be. I do have a desire to have a functional army on the off chance I do get a chance to game but I'm much more excited by collecting and converting my models. I collect what I think would look cool above all else.

Yeah, in short, I'm much more about the models.

OPULENCE
23-01-2014, 10:48
I am pretty much just a collector. I play 1-2 games a month at most but I have piles of models. Inn 40K I have 5 armies but I have only played one game with 3 of them even though they are all around 2000 points. My Space marine army is around 7/8000 points but I have only played so many games with that as I have been collecting it for about 12 years.

I have 3 fantasy armies and really cannot remember the last time I played a game of fantasy, although I am possibly going to have a couple of games this year for a change.

I prefer narrative games and scenarios, such as those in a campain, so I find pick up games a bit boring some times to be honest.

Brother Loki
23-01-2014, 12:08
I'm both a collector and a gamer, although in my 28ish years in the hobby I've been one more than the other at different times.

I remember reading something a while ago - I think it was in Jervis Johnson's column in White Dwarf - that said GW estimates that over half of its customers never actually play a game - they just collect and paint models, even if they do it with the idea of building a game legal army for some hypothetical future time when they will actually play. I can believe that quite easily, as I've had whole periods of several years when I haven't played, but I've never considered myself out of the hobby.

Endobai
23-01-2014, 12:21
I dare say that about 20% of people buying GW models in my area are purely collectors. Collectors who do not play the game very often, even have not played a single battle in their life.

They are relatively invisible to the 'real' players, but the number is impressive ranging from working (no time to play), midaged people to teenage girls who like to paint a miniature and put it on a shelf.
The majority would be guys who play with friends and almost never appear on tournaments, while typical powergamers are a small minority.

Much depends how old someone is, how many years he/she plays (I myself moved after several years from a mildly active tournament, nonpower player to a collector), what was the reason to 'enlist' in the hobby and if there is any previous contact with RPG or a period of involvement in a different tabletop game/hobby.

Bubble Ghost
23-01-2014, 13:08
If I was only into the models, I wouldn't be collecting GW models, because frankly I don't like most of the newer stuff - it's gorgeous like a fashion model is gorgeous, perfect in its sterility, invoking admiration not passion. The important thing for me is not that my army looks slick, but that it's mine - I would rather have some shonky kitbash or a bunch of old models nobody else uses any more, than most modern kits straight out of the box, regardless of how well painted they looked.

Same as if I was only into the game, I wouldn't be playing GW games, because, although the internet's negativity is absurdly out of proportion, there are much better games out there (and try teaching 40K to a new player if you want to look with new eyes upon how truly convoluted it is). And if I was only into the fiction, sure as hell wouldn't be buying GW books for that - I still haven't read most of the background in my CSM codex. The writing is incredibly childish, it's the imagery and ambience that interests me, and that other settings can't match, and I don't need to read much new material to indulge that.

So it's the whole lot together that keeps me involved. There are better games, and just as interesting (if not necessarily better) miniatures, but they don't have 40K's atmosphere.

warhammerscotlandplayer
23-01-2014, 13:13
I go through phases of playing for a year or two then take a hiatus, but if one of my armies get an update, somehow i always manage to hear and then buy everything for the army on release. For example with the last High Elves release i bought some models that are still in blisters and or used once (skycutter)

On a second note we are due our first child in April/May so for the rest of the year i dont see me having the time to build/paint or game. Might get back into it late 2014 early 2015 if Skaven get an update.

Fingers
23-01-2014, 20:03
I have a friend that pretty much just collects and paints now. We tease him about his 2000pts of Orks that just sit on his shelf and look pretty, never facing a bolter before :)

silentsmoke
24-01-2014, 00:13
I'm more of a collector, but I do have the intention of playing games this year, especially very large games if the opportunity arises!

Wolf Lord Balrog
24-01-2014, 00:39
Nope, too expensive to just 'collect'. I bought figures to play a game, modeling and painting is secondary.

bhusus
24-01-2014, 15:25
As a collector your army being 'squatted' is desirable as it makes your collection more collectable ;).

I'd put myself most as a modeller. My biggest enjoyment is customising each and every one of my models. Pouring over rule/source books comes second, gaming third and painting comes after that (all enjoyable aspects of the hobby). My love of conversions means I can't be much of a collector (as my collection is rapidly cannibalised to sate my inspiration) but I feel I have, in many respects, more of a collector's than a gamer's outlook on the hobby.

I don't understand gamers that spend money on new models, spend time on assembling and painting them to a 'gaming standard' then as soon as a 'bad' edition hits them sell out their models

I'm also in this category - I do want at least one of each model, but if I have more, then I want to customize the **** out of them - in fact all of my original 60ish SM I...inherited?...were done up as individual models and then incorporated into squads. Once I started playing more and it took over the purchase side of things, I moved away from this because I needed models assembled by a certain date - and I won't lie - I kind of hate that and am moving back to the modeling side of things. That being said I see by modeling as a kind of collecting though - part of the reason I do customize so much is BECAUSE if I already have one of said model (say Mawloc for instance), and I choose to have another for game purposes, I don't want them to look the same because it makes my collection boring.

stucifer
31-01-2014, 15:44
I feel this forum is less hateful than dakka. I'm not a competitive person. I love to paint, I like the fluff, and I also like to chuck dice. In video games, I never play PvP, because I've met so many sore losers (and winners!) and it's a major turn off. I think that a lot of gamers have become spoiled by competitive play (League of Legends, every FPS ever) and forget that the purpose of gaming is not to win, but to have fun.

I'm still very much newbie, and I like that. I've also had so much fun collecting, assembling and painting stupid little plastic dudes lately. I love "forging a narrative" the most out of everything in the 40k rulebook, because it makes me feel like I'm playing a game instead of exploiting a ruleset to decimate my opponent.

Another thing is army choice. I have small collections of a few different armies now, and I've picked them up almost entirely based upon how the looked and/or sounded (models>fluff>gameplay). It just so happens that my favorite 3 armies were Eldar, Dark Eldar and Tau.... I really had no idea that "Taudar" was even a thing until I came to the forums, so now I am hesitant to play my rather fluffy Eldar army with Tau allies because I don't want people to think I'm being "that guy".

I agree with people who say it's a wee bit pricey to "just collect", but if that's why you are into it, please keep doing it. I would personally rather have every model from an army that I thought "looked cool" (even if it was terrible on the table) than have one model that looks like garbage but always lets me win.

Good post!

Theocracity
31-01-2014, 16:02
I like the direction this thread's gone. It's good to hear from the people who are often happy to be quiet and do their own thing :).

I'm also of the mindset that building, converting, painting and background play a larger role than the game itself. I'm pretty slow at all of those due to my schedule and other interests, so it'd be crazy for me to try and keep up with the competitive meta - by the time I finish a fieldable army the game will have totally changed under me!

nosebiter
31-01-2014, 16:04
Yes, i mostly collect.

The staggering cost of starting a new 40k/wfb army, and the huge amount of awesome miniatures out there, means that i collect and paint a wide variety of stuff.

romizzi
31-01-2014, 16:13
The hobby for me is so much about the collecting. I love the look of GW models, especially modern sculpts - which is why its not really possible for me to rage quit 40k - I'm bought into the fluff and aesthetics. I buy models I like the look of, even if they are from an army I don't 'specifically' collect.
I do play, but not a lot. I play so that I can see my painted models on the table and I can imagine the field of battle. Seeing a model successfully use a special weapon or ability tied to the fluff of a model reinforces the charm and appeal.
I specifically only play people who are fun to play with - which can be awkward when turning down the offer of a game for the 16th time!

Sir Didymus
31-01-2014, 19:38
Nope, too expensive to just 'collect'. I bought figures to play a game, modeling and painting is secondary.

Funny, its just the opposite for me. Its too expensive just to play a poorly designed game. The only draw of the game is the sight of two awesome looking armies clashing amidst awesome terrain.

Jind_Singh
31-01-2014, 21:11
Im both - I collect and I play with some reg. armies (Imperial Fists for 40k, Orcs & Goblins, Empire, Khorne Deamons for Warhammer).

But I collect - I bought and built a Stompa and a Dakka jet just for the love of the models - I have a few IG units again for the collection aspect.

I still see a few collectors out there - but they are harder to count as they don't tend to hang out at the local store as much, nor do you see them lurking on forums like this - but I'm sure there is a larger number of pure collectors than we'd give credit for

leopard
31-01-2014, 21:34
Bought models to play under 5th, I blame my youngest for getting me back into this. Played under 5th, most of the IG I have were bought because I liked the army though more than for the way they played (all infantry, a few tanks for decoration). These days my better half collects CSM but doesn't play.

Note I don't say builds, or paints, she collects them... I think because she likes the boxes or something, odd but there you go.

Once my IG were usable I got a few models just because I liked them, three metal Ogryn, pants in the game but I like them, ditto the Shadowsword, assembled to be used, its had one game in its life - wiped out before it fired a shot. Don't care I like the model.

If I had time I'd expand the army, repair the damaged paint and display them somewhere, sadly as always its a case of having time or money but seldom both together.

Fugazi
31-01-2014, 22:05
I am on the hobby side more often than the gaming side. I will pick up a cool model here and there because it looks cool and not for any gaming purpose.

These days, I look to eurogames and the like for gaming. I think they're more fun and competitive.

In my worthless opinion, this game is inadequately designed for competitive tournament play. That said, I have a certain respect for those who take the time to scour the rules, hash out the mathhammer, and adjust to the local metagame. It's how they choose to enjoy 40k, and hats off to them.

I do think, however, that some (not all) mathhammer players make the unwarranted assumption that the math conclusively demonstrates a unit's worth or worthlessness. The math reveals strengths and weaknesses that the general can use to make unit choices and/or tactical decisions, but it is not the final say. This kind of thinking separates the good mathhammer blogs from the "best internets lists!!!! Don't get tabled!" nonsense.

Like I said, I view 40k as properly a beer and pretzels game and I get my competitive kicks from different games entirely, but I certainly understand and respect those who enjoy squeezing the competitive stuffing out of 40k in tourneys.

I used to get irked at people who never painted their miniatures, but life is too short, and I've contented myself to enjoying my own painted stuff and Warseer's project logs (which are often wonderful--and the tone of the posters is markedly different in the hobby sections than 40k general or 40k rules).

Great post and keep on enjoying your collecting/hobbying.

Theocracity
31-01-2014, 22:43
I am on the hobby side more often than the gaming side. I will pick up a cool model here and there because it looks cool and not for any gaming purpose.

These days, I look to eurogames and the like for gaming. I think they're more fun and competitive.

In my worthless opinion, this game is inadequately designed for competitive tournament play. That said, I have a certain respect for those who take the time to scour the rules, hash out the mathhammer, and adjust to the local metagame. It's how they choose to enjoy 40k, and hats off to them.

I do think, however, that some (not all) mathhammer players make the unwarranted assumption that the math conclusively demonstrates a unit's worth or worthlessness. The math reveals strengths and weaknesses that the general can use to make unit choices and/or tactical decisions, but it is not the final say. This kind of thinking separates the good mathhammer blogs from the "best internets lists!!!! Don't get tabled!" nonsense.

Like I said, I view 40k as properly a beer and pretzels game and I get my competitive kicks from different games entirely, but I certainly understand and respect those who enjoy squeezing the competitive stuffing out of 40k in tourneys.

I used to get irked at people who never painted their miniatures, but life is too short, and I've contented myself to enjoying my own painted stuff and Warseer's project logs (which are often wonderful--and the tone of the posters is markedly different in the hobby sections than 40k general or 40k rules).

Great post and keep on enjoying your collecting/hobbying.

Very well said. I'm the same way - I totally respect the work that goes into competitive play - it just doesn't apply to my experience and enjoyment.