PDA

View Full Version : (Re)Starting with 40k - 2nd Ed

soullessginger
21-01-2014, 19:46
After reading Harry's recent thread over on GW General discussion I have though about restarting 40k 2nd edition using my current Blood Angels army (first time round I had space smurfs as they looked good, then when I bought the codex found out they were just vanilla and had nothing special about them, so switched to a Beil Tan eldar army which could include every aspect warrior, without limitation, but I digress) I have managed to get a copy of the rule book, wargear book and Codex Angels of death, but am still lacking some bits.

Where do all you 2nd Edition players go to get your vehicle datasheets (for the uninitiated they are like the modern dataslates, but made of card, free and were needed if you wanted to use vehicles) and wargear cards to print off and laminate?

Also what is a good sized army as a tac, assault and Devestator squad come in at 900 points without options!

leopard
21-01-2014, 20:05
Guessing its as much a case of finding someone who has them, and finding a photocopier from a pragmatic perspective, or once you have a few make some more up.

While I do own 2nd (given to me last year) I have not played it, did play 1st though a fair bit, 2nd looks similar in that with an opponent who is reasonable anything is possible

Worldeaters
21-01-2014, 21:02
I've still got most of the starter box set with the three books and dark millennium (which you should scour eBay for if you wanna play 2nd properly) and a few codexes from when they were new (showing my age). Keep talking about playing it, but never getting round to it.

Think you should be able to get a lot of the wargear cards and vehicle cards online and download them/ print them off.
Is it still illegal when it's something no longer published? If so pretend I didn't suggest that.

insectum7
21-01-2014, 21:57
I think in 2nd Ed. we usually played 2,000 point lists.

Uhh, I personally recommend a Devastator Squad with Plasma Missiles. *********** WIN!

bhusus
21-01-2014, 22:40
I was under the impression that Necromunda was based on 2nd Ed. - is this so? I imagine that could be a whole lot of fun

insectum7
21-01-2014, 23:02
I was under the impression that Necromunda was based on 2nd Ed. - is this so? I imagine that could be a whole lot of fun

Very much so, about 90% of the core rules were shared between both systems. Necromunda added a couple small details like accidentally shooting your own guys :), and running out of ammunition, if I recall.

bhusus
21-01-2014, 23:12
Very much so, about 90% of the core rules were shared between both systems. Necromunda added a couple small details like accidentally shooting your own guys :), and running out of ammunition, if I recall.

Nice! Thanks for the confirmation...gonna have to look into this some more

Zenithfleet
22-01-2014, 01:09
The tricky thing with 2nd ed 40K is that it never had a big 'clean-up'.

For instance, 3rd ed 40K ended very differently to how it began, with tons of extra rules and armies added since its early days - but it was all tidied up with the 4th ed rulebook.

The changeover from 2nd to 3rd was a fundamental overhaul which didn't allow for that. So it can be hard to track down all the rules revisions they made over the years. Those were usually in White Dwarf. For instance, at one point they ruled that you could buy Space Marines in squads of 5 for 150 pts, to make the army list more flexible. Some unit types were also only made available through White Dwarf (e.g. Ork Trukk, Eldar Falcon and Fire Prism).

Off the top of my head, though, if you want a complete collection, you'd need to find:

Rulebook
Wargear book
Codex Imperialis book
'Codex army lists' pamphlet (the 'Black Codex') - has get-you-by lists for all factions, plus a few that never got their own Codex, like Squats and AdMech. Hey look, electro-priests!
'Battle for Armageddon Scenarios' pamphlet - has three simple intro scenarios for Orks vs Marines
Basic wargear cards and datafaxes from the starter box
Templates from the starter box (blast markers, flamers, turning templates, etc)
Counters from the starter box (Overwatch, Hide, Broken, etc)
Some funny-shaped dice might come in handy (e.g. D12s)

Dark Millennium box (the psyker and vehicle supplement - includes a rulebook plus TONS of wargear cards, vehicle datafaxes, psychic powers etc)

Codexes:
Orks
Ultramarines
Angels of Death (Blood Angels and Dark Angels)
Space Wolves
Chaos (most ridiculously content-packed Codex ever?)
Imperial Guard
Tyranids
Sisters of Battle
Assassins (yes, there was indeed a 2nd ed Codex Assassins - the cover looks just like the 3rd ed one, but with the 2nd ed yellow logo)

Warhammer 40,000 Battles - Collection of old White Dwarf articles. Mostly battle reports, but has some useful stuff such as a Bunker Assault mission and datafax (intended for use with the basic Armageddon scenarios in the starter box), Razorback rules, etc. Some of the Imperial Guard tank rules were rendered obsolete by their Codex later on.

Storm of Vengeance scenario pack (Orks vs Dark Angels - lots of cool scenarios and ideas - came with a card power-plant model)

White Dwarf rules updates - there were quite a lot of these. Some issues also had new wargear cards, vehicle cards, etc. The most important would probably be:

195 - list of wargear card restrictions (common/rare/unique)
216 - Falcon rules and card datafax (the datafax is more likely to turn up in a Dark Millennium eBay lot since that's where people would usually store it)
...there are several others but I can't remember the issue numbers right now, sorry...

gLOBS
22-01-2014, 02:57
Still love 2nd. I wish GW would bring it back ala AD&D with the new units updated so they could pimp out the 2 Editions with the same models and make everyone happier.

AndrewGPaul
22-01-2014, 08:50
IIRC, the Razorback and Falcon datafaxes are in the Ultramarines and Eldar codexes respectively.

Other articles you might want to find include:

additional vehicle cards (there were separate articles for extra generic ones, Ork ones and Eldar ones, IIRC).

The two White Dwarfs with the 2nd edition Necron rules (such as they were - Lords, Warriors, Destroyers and Scarabs). That should give you a baseline for inventing stats for new units. Just remember that 2nd edition doesn't have nearly the number of unit-specific special rules that 6th does.

Citadel Journals 10 and 11 had an experimental set of new vehicle rules by Jervis that may be of interest. Other Journals included 2nd 40k rules for the Thunderhawk Gunship, Space Marine Drop Pods, the Bandeblade and Shadowsword and the Chimera variants from Epic - the Chimerro, Chimerax and Chimedon with battle cannon, quad autocannon and hunter-killer missile launcher.

Other than that, the sort of people you will interest in playing 2nd edition should be the sort of people who can fill in the holes themselves. Integration with Necromunda is easy enough; we played a 400 point game (a Tactical Squad each side, basically) and assumed that Space Marines' special Morale rules meant that the first failed Pinning test simply meant that the Marine could not move towards the enemy, but could otherwise fight as normal. We also found out that a Graviton Gun in the hands of a Veteran Sergeant is lethal, and well-worth the 40 points.

MrZakalwe
22-01-2014, 09:36
Codex Imperialis - a book that lives on in memory.

so.. much.. stuff.

cyphertheory
22-01-2014, 15:01
There is a 2nd edition battlebible that is knocking around on the internets which is a tidied up version of 2nd edition that was put together by a guy called Evan Payne that you might be able to find here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B02JJITMVyDmbVJTUFFuVGNCVDA/edit?usp=sharing

skorczeny
22-01-2014, 16:04
There is a 2nd edition battlebible that is knocking around on the internets which is a tidied up version of 2nd edition that was put together by a guy called Evan Payne that you might be able to find here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B02JJITMVyDmbVJTUFFuVGNCVDA/edit?usp=sharing

Amazing. Thanks for sharing this.

insectum7
22-01-2014, 16:45

Wow.

If I ever run into him I'd buy him a lot more than a beer.

Edit: Even the datafaxes!

soullessginger
22-01-2014, 17:01
That is a brilliant little resource, may have to cut down a rain forest to print it all off.

Harwammer
22-01-2014, 18:43
Awesome. A little disappointed it didn't include rules for cross over items from Epic such as the armorcast titans and so on, but otherwise an excellent piece of work.

Zenithfleet
23-01-2014, 01:12
IIRC, the Razorback and Falcon datafaxes are in the Ultramarines and Eldar codexes respectively.

Other articles you might want to find include:

additional vehicle cards (there were separate articles for extra generic ones, Ork ones and Eldar ones, IIRC).

The two White Dwarfs with the 2nd edition Necron rules (such as they were - Lords, Warriors, Destroyers and Scarabs). That should give you a baseline for inventing stats for new units. Just remember that 2nd edition doesn't have nearly the number of unit-specific special rules that 6th does.

No, the Falcon wasn't released until long after the Eldar Codex came out. There were no tanks for the Eldar back then (except the Armourcast ones based on Epic), just War Walkers etc. (The Vyper rules were in the Codex though, despite there being no model at the time.)

It's not just the datafax in WD 216 - there's also an article with actual rules for the Falcon's movement, pulse laser, etc. As a skimming tank it was a bit newfangled at the time.

There were some extra vehicle cards in 216 along with the Falcon.

Good point about the Necrons. The rules were in WD 217 and 218. And were allegedly more broken than a garden gnome in a car crusher.

Re the battle bible: Be careful with that, guys. Some versions contain fan additions like 3rd ed close combat rules mixed in confusingly with the official stuff.

Abaraxas
23-01-2014, 02:02
Good man, get into it!!!

Steampunk1375
23-01-2014, 03:02
This is great, my friends and I are doing the same. The Battlebible is a fantastic rescource, contains all of the additional wargear and vehicle rules (as far as I can tell).

Now we started playing in 2nd, through third and stopped just before fourth, but we all held on to our second edition books/rescources.

I suggest using a tablet for rules etc. easy to transport and view rules on. Saves on the printing. Good luck.

goatmeat
26-01-2014, 21:45
I've just got back into 40k after nearly 20 years away, now playing with my 5 year old son. The best place to restart was where I left off, so I've gone straight back in with the 2nd edition. I have no idea how the 6th edition plays. I assumed it would be easier playing what I knows. Is there anything simpler and easier bout the new edition? It seems a lot more complex and detailed, which me and teh boy don't need right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Kulgur
26-01-2014, 21:53
Good point about the Necrons. The rules were in WD 217 and 218. And were allegedly more broken than a garden gnome in a car crusher.

Hard to take down, immune to close combat weapons(? can't remember if it was just power weapons etc), stayed downed until you rolled that they faded or they got back up. Oh and scarabs reduced vehicle armour by 3 for each one clamped on, and could detonate.

Zustiur
27-01-2014, 01:12
I've just got back into 40k after nearly 20 years away, now playing with my 5 year old son. The best place to restart was where I left off, so I've gone straight back in with the 2nd edition. I have no idea how the 6th edition plays. I assumed it would be easier playing what I knows. Is there anything simpler and easier bout the new edition? It seems a lot more complex and detailed, which me and teh boy don't need right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)
If you want simple, have a look at the beginning of 3rd edition. The rule book is all you need because it includes army lists. Everything since that point has been about restoring rules and complexity to the game.

Iball17
27-01-2014, 01:52
Second ed was far from simple but it was fun. 3rd was the start of dumbing down of the game since math was too difficult for some.

Abaraxas
27-01-2014, 02:36
2nd ed isn't really that complicated, either...a reference sheet or two to use in game really helps-mind you the dark millennium psychic rules and cards can appear daunting at first.

After years of not playing at all, I've been playing 1000-1500pt games against my brother (Orks vs Squats) and it's bloody awesome.

AndrewGPaul
27-01-2014, 08:16
Also, if you restrict yourself to just the contents of the 2nd edtion 40k box - using the "black codex" army lists rather than all the individual books - you can keep things simpler.

With hindsight, though, if you really feel the need to go flinging Blind and Plasma grenades everywhere, spend the time making up a dozen templates in each size. The main reason we had an unspoken agreement not to use them was that between us, we only had two or three of each template. ;)

gorenut
27-01-2014, 16:33
I loved 2nd edition. Played majority of 40k in 2nd edition. The only thing I see with it is that it seems to work better as a "skirmish" game rather than huge forces. It was pretty common for our games to last 5+ hours for larger games.

Abaraxas
28-01-2014, 04:53
I haven't got there yet, but I can imagine about 3000pts being about the limit I would go to (pretty sure the rules say they had about 2000 in mind)

Gertjan
28-01-2014, 19:46
Awesome. A little disappointed it didn't include rules for cross over items from Epic such as the armorcast titans and so on, but otherwise an excellent piece of work.

Well, there's several versions of the Battle bible floating about, some of the Armorcast is in one or two of the versions, the ones which also incorporate the more silly/interesting Citadel Journal/Inquisitor (well, I think that's what the magazine was called, to long ago to be sure) and other fanbuild material. I'll try to see if I can find what version it is, I still have some of them on my drive I think.