PDA

View Full Version : Cash cow number two?

TheBearminator
23-01-2014, 19:48
Which is GW's biggest cash cow after Space Marines? And which ones are the least popular? I'm talking 40k here. Does anyone know? Any store owner who wanna share his/her knowledge?

The reason I ask is cause I was thinking something like this: Space Marines never miss an edition. They also seem to get their models updated more often than anyone else. One of my favourite armies is Orks. Since the eldar release in June they've been the only 4th edition Codex in the game. And they don't even seem to be next in line. They could be as late as summer, or worse. Last time Orks were updated it was the same thing. They'd been put on hold for longer than anyone else.

Is this because Orks are among the least popular of the 40k armies? That seems unlikely to me. How popular were the old dark eldar? Why were they out in the cold for so long before they got redone? Was it that the old ones didn't sell, even though they're part of the starter box of that time?

Fear Ghoul
23-01-2014, 20:00
Going by number of codex updates I would have to say Tyranids. They are the only army apart from Space Marines to receive an update in each edition.

Bloodknight
23-01-2014, 20:15
How popular were the old dark eldar? Why were they out in the cold for so long before they got redone? Was it that the old ones didn't sell, even though they're part of the starter box of that time?

I was there from the beginning of that army when all you got was warriors on foot because the other stuff hadn't been released yet. Collected about 8000 points of them. But I have to say:
Didn't sell, and it was all the fault of the codex and their introduction into the universe. The miniatures were good, some even very good compared to what other armies offered at the time; the warrior kit was fantastic even compared to - say - tyranid plastics or even most Marines or the Catachans that were release a year or so later. They just did not age well, it happens with technical advancements, many kits from that time suck today or are perceived as such. I remember drooling over Khorne Berzerkers, the first CSM multipart kit. Today they're often seen as goofy.

As to DE not selling again:
The first edition of their codex was terrible with basically only 2 unit types being actually usable (Archon and Warriors. That was the whole thing). All Elite and Fast Attack choices were junk (Wyches were expensive and bad compared to Warriors. 35 point close combat oriented Reaver Jetbikes with the close combat power of a tactical space marine and worse armor. Hellions were basically flying Guard veterans with combat drugs. They sucked badly at the asking price in points. Heavy support had the Talos, a 6" move skimmer/MC hybrid that could kill itself traversing terrain on the charge and flying warriors with heavy weapons that cost twice as much as warrior naked for the jump pack and paid 2.5 times the cost of warrior heavy weapons. You could get 50% more firepower easily by just taking more warriors for the points.) and only the Ravager was worth it in heavy support, but got a model quite late.

The army did not work on foot, yet the transport took quite a while till it got released.
The starter box with DE was probably not a good idea in the way it got packed.
The Space Marines were about 300 points, came with a flamer, a missile launcher and a heavy bolter armed Landspeeder. The DE got 20 guys with 4 splinter cannons, clocking in at 200 points and having a maximum range of 24 and max S4 AP5. They couldn't win unless your opponent wanted you to. It was just impossible, you got 50% less of vastly inferior troops. I've hardly seen an army so badly represented in a starter box of any system, really.
The old DE only became somewhat popular when the 2nd edition of their codex with a ton of updates was released that made most units viable and the Wych cult very strong in 4th edition, for a while DE armies dominated tournaments. That book managed to do something at which the first one failed: with the first one you could spend about 1000 points on usable units and then you had to fill the rest of the FOC slots with junk because your HQ and Troops were full and your HS was filled with 3 tricked out Ravagers (tricked out meaning they had taken the the upgrade for the Dark Lance. DE did not have any vehicle equipment items at all to choose from, unlike all other armies...) and the rest didn't do what its points cost suggested. It was pretty hard to build a viable army with it.

That said, I think the 2nd cash cow is IG. You need a million guys and tanks and many IG players don't know where to stop.

Xerkics
23-01-2014, 20:17
I dunno about last edition but in the 6th if the sales figures were to be believed the tau certainly are the next big thing for GeeDubYa. I mean they sold out completely everythere that's gotta say something.

P.s the IG are probably it , agree with poster above

TheBearminator
23-01-2014, 20:30
...I think the 2nd cash cow is IG. You need a million guys and tanks and many IG players don't know where to stop.

Interesting read about the old DE. I was more of a fantasy player at the time so I didn't follow 40k that closely. And yeah, judging from this forum IG players seem to be the biggest lunatics by far. ;)

Szalik
23-01-2014, 20:32
As for the biggest second cash cow, I'd place my bet on Imperial Guard. GW (and FW) made a lot of units from different homeworlds for them, not without a reason.

The least popular, Sisters of Battle probably, degraded to digital only (and probably the last for them) codex with no new models at all and some even removed (Confessor Kirynov). Looks like they just want to get rid of blisters from their warehouses.

Kakapo42
23-01-2014, 21:51
I reckon it'd be either IG or Chaos. Purely based on the number of people I hear have them, which suggests a lot of people buying models from those ranges.

Telemachus
23-01-2014, 22:04
I'd put my money on Rulebooks and Codices; everyone needs them ;)

hobojebus
23-01-2014, 22:37
Whatever has become powerful due to codex creep.

Some people keep with armies they like, some buy whatever is overpowered.

TheBearminator
23-01-2014, 23:05
Whatever has become powerful due to codex creep.

Some people keep with armies they like, some buy whatever is overpowered.

Yeah, I'm perfectly aware of the fact that news and powerful codices sell. But I was speaking in a broader sense. Over the last ten or fifteen years, which are the most and least popular races? And is it somehow connected to how many a updates they get?