PDA

View Full Version : Popular 40k Approved Forgeworld Units?

Proiteus
24-01-2014, 12:29
Since I'll be going to Throne Of Skulls with my Guard army in March, I've been looking at how the new Warrior's code has effected the tournament setting.
As it turns out Escalation hasn't had as much impact on the January tournament but that may change in March, however there was a lot of reports of Forgeworld units being used especially from Orks (mostly Mek Dreads?).

So I'm curious to know what Forgeworld units I'm likely to come across at Throne Of Skulls and would appreciate any info on their capabilities?

A.T.
24-01-2014, 12:53
For the loyalists (non-superheavies) -

Marines -
Mortis dreads (AA)
Possibly spartans(superior landraiders) or achilies
Forgeworld chapter tactics (i.e. red hunter marines who can grant themselves a round of skyfire, mantis warriors with rending bolters)
Relic Javelin landspeeders (AV11) & scorpius tanks (S8 AP3 blast barrage multi-shot predators)

Guard -
Sabre platforms (toughness 7 heavy weapon teams with TL skyfire interceptor lascannons)
Rapiers and field artillery
Vultures (S5 heavy 20 twinlinked, plus heavy bolters)
Avengers (glass cannons with 7 shot S6AP3 boltguns) - also available to sisters

Sisters -
Repressors (front AV13 rhinos with heavy flamers)

And of course an outside chance of something like a siege list turning up - be wary of a squadron of hunters with the interceptor rule, they will make short work of any aircraft and then pound on fortifications and heavy tanks like an infinite ranged meltagun.

Camman1984
24-01-2014, 14:48
I mostly see contemptors and warp hunters (make sure they are using the current warp hunter as the old one was broken). Seen a lot of stompas around lately too.

Mandragola
24-01-2014, 15:02
I think there will be more escalation in March. People didn't have a lot of time to get it together this time. The announcement came soon before the event.

But yeah from marines, you'll probably see contemptors and maybe the odd sicaran, which is a sort of super-predator (fast, hvy6 rending S7 turret gun and probably lascannon sponsons). Mortis contemptor has to stay still to get interceptor and skyfire, and is a very shooty-but-expensive dreadnought. Both front armour 13.

Eldar hornets are a possibility. They can take two pulsars, giving them 4 S8 ap2 shots each, which is mental. They are a FA slot and come in squadrons of up to 3. Armour 11 I think. Nothing like as many points as they should be. Sometimes used for AA with guide/prescience, as even snap shooting 12 S8 ap2 shots tends to work. Killing these is a good idea, and they aren't all that tough.

Ork dreads can have all sorts of odd special rules but aren't especially overpowered. Shoot guns at them.

Watch out for forgeworld daemon lords. They are mental. I came up against the slaanesh one and it irritatingly grew back wounds every time it killed anyone, which it did a lot. Started the game on 6 wounds, finished it on 10. Fortunately I killed all his other stuff and some troops of mine made it to an objective. Nasty thing though.

gwarsh41
24-01-2014, 15:20
Chaos Daemons and CSM have access to the Plague Hulk, which is a pretty sweet, cheap soul grinder variant. It throws around an S6AP3 large blast and template. It is probably the best choice, for optimal use.
Right under it is the decimator engine. An expensive, but crazy walker, dreadnought base, 13/12/11. If you wreck it, on a 6 it gets back up, you roll for that ever turn.
Blight drones are 2hp 11/11/11 fliers with an S8 ap3 large blast, but BS2, the cost turns people away from them, but in hover mode they get a +3 cover save thanks to shrouded.

Lastly, all of the daemon lords are pretty nasty characters, but you are most likely to face Be'Lakor from the recent dataslates. That dude is dirty nasty.

Proiteus
24-01-2014, 15:27
So are there any requirements for taking forgeworld unit or do they just take a force organisation slot like normal?

A.T.
24-01-2014, 15:37
So are there any requirements for taking forgeworld unit or do they just take a force organisation slot like normal?Most are just normal units. A few of the heresy vehicles have restrictions on how many you can take.

Charistoph
24-01-2014, 15:46
So are there any requirements for taking forgeworld unit or do they just take a force organisation slot like normal?

They usually have rules for which slot they take. For an example, look at the experimental rules that are downloadable from the site.

As A.T. said, some have additional restrictions like the Marine Sicaran Tank (I so want that thing) needing a Techmarine (or was it MotF?) to field the only one you can outside of a 30K list.

Camman1984
24-01-2014, 16:00
The sicaran and a couple of other units have the relic rule. You can take one of them freely, but need a motf to take a second, if i remember correctly it is currently the sicaran,scorpius and fire raptor that have that rule and they all exclude each other.

Proiteus
03-02-2014, 13:13
I've just noticed my Grey Knights can take Imperial Navy flyers so I'm thinking of adding 1 or 2 of them to the army to give them an effective unit to combat enemy flyers and Lords Of War. Any suggestions?

Also can I take a Vendetta as an Imperial Navy unit or do I still need to use guard allies to field them?

Langdon
03-02-2014, 15:17
R'Varna may be allowed depending on what the TO says

watch out with that bad boy

A.T.
03-02-2014, 16:25
Also can I take a Vendetta as an Imperial Navy unit or do I still need to use guard allies to field them?You need guard for the vendettas.

As of IA2 2nd edition though the old inquisitorial valkyries are back, and can swap their hellstrikes for mindstrike missiles if you hate psykers.

toonboy78
03-02-2014, 17:46
Lucius Pattern Drop Pods with Ironclads...first turn assault and due to move through cover no dodgy dangerous terrain tests.

marine chapter tactics, one of them allows a lib to take divination

are my favourites

Gradek
03-02-2014, 17:48
The Typhon Siege Tank. Look out for those.

Kijamon
03-02-2014, 17:51
Lucius Pattern Drop Pods with Ironclads...first turn assault and due to move through cover no dodgy dangerous terrain tests.

are my favourites

Wrong. The Lucius drop pod no longer allows for assaulting straight from deep striking.

It is now a dedicated transport that confers a cover save to the occupant and the occupant does not have to disembark.

Gingerwerewolf
04-02-2014, 14:47

are my favourites

Although they are ace, you cannot do a first turn assaut with them any more due to 6th edition main rulebook rules. However you do not have to disembark from them which is just as nasty.

So Drop in, do not disembark - shoot anything that you want (open topped) and then in the next turn, jump out and charge

Dammit ninja'd, (by several hours)

IAMNOTHERE
04-02-2014, 15:54
Or take a mortis with twin kheres and never get out.

Langdon
04-02-2014, 18:31
Or take a mortis with twin kheres and never get out.

cruel cruel man.

Grand Master Azrael
04-02-2014, 20:37
Death Korps armies?

Ironbone
04-02-2014, 23:24
Death Korps armies?
Deff Korps was quite videly accept for some time, as list is extremaly fluffy, and fits well to death koprs lore. Only problem is, that recenty list was bit hited by FW with neff hammer, and isn't particularry good compared to vanila IG, especialy with weak TR choices ( 10 basic dudes cost 20 pts more, and may not combine squads. DK may have some cool rules, but they do not make up for such absymal costing ).

Slayer-Fan123
04-02-2014, 23:59
I'd be curious if any Dark Harvest lists show up. They have access to, in my opinion, one of the single best Warlord Traits Table.

Grand Master Azrael
05-02-2014, 07:39
I like the Death Korps assault Brigade list

A.T.
05-02-2014, 09:52
( 10 basic dudes cost 20 pts more, and may not combine squads. DK may have some cool rules, but they do not make up for such absymal costing ).It appears to be a side effect of lazy copy/pasting from the assault brigade (where those troops can be brought back in from the table edge when killed). There is a battle report somewhere on warseer of the new assault krieg in action against the crons, IIRC the cron player killed the krieg infantry twice over.

Ironbone
05-02-2014, 15:25
It appears to be a side effect of lazy copy/pasting from the assault brigade (where those troops can be brought back in from the table edge when killed). There is a battle report somewhere on warseer of the new assault krieg in action against the crons, IIRC the cron player killed the krieg infantry twice over.
Yeach, maybe they will repair standard DK one day. Assoult brigade can use special rule to place special obcjetive in enemy deployment zone, for exchange of being able to recycle destroyed infantyry plattons ( sadly, plattons, not squads ). At least their fancy grenadiers/storm troppers are much cheaper than IG ones, and re TR :p.

Singleton Mosby
05-02-2014, 15:30
It appears to be a side effect of lazy copy/pasting from the assault brigade (where those troops can be brought back in from the table edge when killed). There is a battle report somewhere on warseer of the new assault krieg in action against the crons, IIRC the cron player killed the krieg infantry twice over.

Cool. Need to find that batrep.

A.T.
05-02-2014, 15:49
Cool. Need to find that batrep.http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?374974-Krieg-v-Necrons-Soulless-automatons-face-off-against-xenos-scum

Mandragola
05-02-2014, 16:56
The R'vanna has been updated, and nerfed pretty heavily. Its guns are now ap4, and if it nova charges to fire twice it can't shoot at all the next turn. I doubt we'll see many now, and if we do they are basically fine.

chris2146
05-02-2014, 22:14
The R'vanna has been updated, and nerfed pretty heavily. Its guns are now ap4, and if it nova charges to fire twice it can't shoot at all the next turn. I doubt we'll see many now, and if we do they are basically fine.

What tau do best is spam STR 7, the R'varna is still the good at taking out vehicles, MC's etc if you nova it, you can potentially get 12 STR 8 hits with its cluster fire rule, even if you don't nova you still get 6 STR 8 hits, anything short of AV14 goes pop. Leave the other riptides to take out troops and elites while the R'varna goes tank hunting.