PDA

View Full Version : I wonder...

Draconis
24-01-2014, 17:12
Why GW hasn't come up with their own series of custom bases? Why do they still only make the standard flat, round, black bases (for the most part obviously).

Ramius4
24-01-2014, 17:16
Because it's way more cost effective to use one set of bases, and they work just fine.

Spiney Norman
24-01-2014, 17:27
Why GW hasn't come up with their own series of custom bases? Why do they still only make the standard flat, round, black bases (for the most part obviously).

They are beginning to, most of the clam-pack characters have their own sculpted scenic base, and the dreadnought has had one for years. Its just not a common thing. It wouldn't really to be possible to mass-produce sculpted bases because all the models are so different and particularly robed models would struggle to sit flat on a textured base.

Draconis
24-01-2014, 17:30
Hence why i said the obvious like the dread. Sure they could make bases, even for robed models. They could make a specific base for each army if they wanted and allow you to mix and match them.

Ramius4
24-01-2014, 17:35
They could make a specific base for each army if they wanted and allow you to mix and match them.

Sure they could. But that takes a whole lot of extra resources to do, which IMO are better spent elsewhere.

Draconis
24-01-2014, 17:42
Yet small companies like puppetwars can make dozens of different ones

Ramius4
24-01-2014, 17:54
Yet small companies like puppetwars can make dozens of different ones

Are you talking about the metal Wyrd bases? The ones that cost $10-15 just for a couple bases?

I never said they can't do it. Just that it's an expensive process to produce something so specific, whereas the cost of producing generic bases is far more economical. The price of GW kits is already appalling, I'd rather not inflate it further because of some sculpted bases being added.

Camman1984
24-01-2014, 18:16
Everyone would want something different for their personal bases so its best to let people custom make them if they want them. Rather than fixing people to whatever scenic they have picked. I have modelled a couple of my clam packs without their scenic bases because they dont fit with the rest of my army.

Draconis
24-01-2014, 19:18
Ramius, no, I mean resin bases. Puppetwars has several, Secret Weapon has dozens upon dozens.

Camman, sure, people will want a lot of different options, but that doesn't mean GW can't make their own. I would like the ability to buy everything I want//need for a unit all at once instead of ordering from 5 different sites. But I was simply asking why GW doesn't make any of their own given their love of money and such. You'd figure they'd have at least a few basic ones instead of just the blank ones.

Theocracity
24-01-2014, 19:28
They probably don't sell resin bases for the same reason they don't sell hybrid kits anymore - they need more than one type of glue, which means new modelers have difficulties with them. Also possible is any safety concerns with resin dust - Finecast is safer than most resin, but with all of its quality issues I don't think they want to expand its use.

Ramius4
24-01-2014, 19:44
Ramius, no, I mean resin bases.

Finecast is being completely phased out by GW over time. So the only option GW would even think of using is plastic.

Langdon
24-01-2014, 20:50
Ramius, no, I mean resin bases. Puppetwars has several, Secret Weapon has dozens upon dozens.

because they both started as bitz sellers.. though i think SW had paints before that..

GW sells a mass of armies that need a universal base. Why create specific ones, when they can release kits and bits to make your own?

IF​ gw decides to go the way of selling custom bases.. I doubt they would be as good as other companies.. so why bother?

Considering their loss recently.. i highly doubt they are going to do things that may not sell.

mostlyharmless
24-01-2014, 20:55
Why would they need to sell custom bases when they can sell you the Citadel basing kits (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat470007a&rootCatGameStyle=paints-tools)?

Gungo
24-01-2014, 21:01
They probably don't sell resin bases for the same reason they don't sell hybrid kits anymore - they need more than one type of glue, which means new modelers have difficulties with them. Also possible is any safety concerns with resin dust - Finecast is safer than most resin, but with all of its quality issues I don't think they want to expand its use.

GW glue is aweful though. I use Loktite its amazing.

BTW GW does create scenic bases they supply them and resin bits to decorate your bases with thier themed basing kits. They dont sell well enough i think to make a decent profit.

Draconis
24-01-2014, 22:59
Sigh, c'mon guys. Think here. He asked if I was talking about puppetwars metal bases. I said no, I was comparing their resin bases. I dont care if GW goes resin or plastic, I'm asking why they haven't decided to do this. They know bases are needed, and people want to customize their models.

Theocracity
24-01-2014, 23:02
Sigh, c'mon guys. Think here. He asked if I was talking about puppetwars metal bases. I said no, I was comparing their resin bases. I dont care if GW goes resin or plastic, I'm asking why they haven't decided to do this. They know bases are needed, and people want to customize their models.

Well then we get back around to the problem of price. They might not judge it worth the investment in plastic molds...at least as of yet.

Dkoz
24-01-2014, 23:06
I like the plain bases they let me design they base the way I like with flaking and other stuff.

Draconis
24-01-2014, 23:11
Right, I'm not asking that they stop making the base ones. But to have their own series of bases. It's just weird that they dont have any. There's no way it's not worth their investment. They could place a stupid rule like they have for other pieces that you have to use their bases in their tournies. Not saying that we want that, but I'm just saying the reason that it's not worth the investment just doesn't make sense.

Dkoz
25-01-2014, 00:36
I like the idea of GW offering fancy bases for sale, but I don't want the included in the standard box. No good reason to give GW a way to raise prices again.

Spiney Norman
25-01-2014, 00:42
Hence why i said the obvious like the dread. Sure they could make bases, even for robed models. They could make a specific base for each army if they wanted and allow you to mix and match them.

The point is that any kind of heavily textured, or sculpted base has to be custom-designed for the model it is intended for. Even models in the same unit have their feet different distances apart and so its simply not practical to mass-produce sculpted bases, even at an army level. My DE haemonculus would not be able to stand on the same base as my DE archon, because the haemi's coiled spine-tail takes up almost the entire top surface area of the base, whereas my archon's feet are spread, leaving lots of room for additional detail.

I actually like that bases are usually featureless because it gives you a creative space on your model that you otherwise wouldn't have (unless you are a pro-level sculpter).

Draconis
25-01-2014, 01:12
The point is that any kind of heavily textured, or sculpted base has to be custom-designed for the model it is intended for. Even models in the same unit have their feet different distances apart and so its simply not practical to mass-produce sculpted bases, even at an army level. My DE haemonculus would not be able to stand on the same base as my DE archon, because the haemi's coiled spine-tail takes up almost the entire top surface area of the base, whereas my archon's feet are spread, leaving lots of room for additional detail.

I actually like that bases are usually featureless because it gives you a creative space on your model that you otherwise wouldn't have (unless you are a pro-level sculpter).

Which means you could buy the same barren bases. You dont have to have a custom made base for each and every model just so it fits. How do you think the millions of models world wide use custom bases? You find a way to make them fit. I myself have a couple hundred different bases across 5 or 6 different styles, yet I get them to work. They dont have to be sculpted for each individual model...

Menthak
25-01-2014, 08:30
There is no point making an investment in producing pre-made custom bases targeted at people too unskilled or lazy (you have to be one of them) to do their own modeling with bitz.

Griefbringer
25-01-2014, 09:16
Perhaps you could try contacting Forge World and see if they could be interested in crnking out some custom resin bases?