PDA

View Full Version : How tall Is an ork?

Lazris The Bloody
25-01-2014, 20:36
hey. recently finished my tau cosplay and was going to move on to cosplaying an ork. so I was wondering... how tall are orks? and how small or tall can they get, as I am not in possession of an ork codex I don't have the information myself. so I would greatly the feedback. be it an estimate or measuring an ork model against an guardsman, or just how big you think they should be. thanks :)

stroller
25-01-2014, 20:55
We iz bigga dan dem humies.. speshully afta we az bashed dem wiz our choppas........

OK revealing how little I know of cosplay - presumably the ideal height is your height. Goblinz are small, nobz and warbosses are bigger.

bork da basher
25-01-2014, 20:56
depends on how successful a cosplaying ork you are? orks get bigger as they 'rise through the ranks' so to speak.

putting an average space marine (8 feet tall or so according to the fluff) next to say, ghazghul thrakka, the biggest orks are going to easily exceed 12 feet tall. the smallest probably human size.

Fangschrecken
25-01-2014, 23:55
Make sure to figure in their hulking backsides.

But even with a lot of padding back there, to get that hunched but muscular look, you'd still be ah runty lil git.

Born Again
25-01-2014, 23:56
"A typical ork stands around the same height as a man, though he would be much taller if he would only stand up straight" - Ork codex.

Lazris The Bloody
26-01-2014, 06:59
I checked out my dawn of war 2 retribution game and compared sizes of orks to the other races in the army painter. found that they were shorter then guardsmen heroes by about a head. but I don't think this is much to go on in the first place seeing that some of the Eldar are shorter then guardsmen heroes as well. (and before anyone asks I do play the table top game as well, more specifically dark Eldar) anyway. Thanks for the info and it was very helpful. If anyone is curioius I am thinking of cosplaying an ork kommando, burna boy, mad dok grotsnik or a loota. :)

Lord Squidar
26-01-2014, 08:11
Thing with orks is that they don't stop growing as long as they are fighting, and they always fight. A normal boy would be the same size as an average human, although stooped and dragging his arms around, smaller profile than a human. Nobs are bigger and seem to stand way more upright (new models at least), they seem to be head and shoulders above space marines so pretty huge. Warbosses can be any size, depends on how long they have been fighting for, the Warboss that the Emperor fought at Ullannor was at least primarch/big E sized or even bigger than that.

For cosplay purposes, I guess it depends on how elaborate you want your costume to be and your own personal dimensions. I'd say if you are average or smaller in size, you should only attempt a boy, if you are over 6ft you could probably pull off a Nob, might be more comfortable than walking crooked back all day.

Born Again
26-01-2014, 12:53
Another good source is the Space Marine video game if you can get it, I always thought the size distinction between the various types of orks, the guardsmen and marines was pretty spot on there.

Lord-Gen Bale Chambers
26-01-2014, 16:54
depends on how successful a cosplaying ork you are? orks get bigger as they 'rise through the ranks' so to speak.

putting an average space marine (8 feet tall or so according to the fluff) next to say, ghazghul thrakka, the biggest orks are going to easily exceed 12 feet tall. the smallest probably human size.

Where did you get 8 feet from? I can't quote a source, but since third Ed, I recall 7 feet being the average height for a marine.

Regarding orks, I think others nailed it. A runty boy will be about 6' tall hunched over and very muscular, almost gorilla like compared to a man.

Lazris The Bloody
26-01-2014, 17:53
thought long and had about how do the arms. best ways I could think of? standing up straight I thinkI am a few inches below 6 feet (I think anyway) and I am built like an eldar (that is to say... a twig) and hunching as I found was painful after about 5 mins of walking like an ork. so my best bet is probably to position my arms straight out on either side of my body, have them enter the ork arms at about the middle of the ork costume upper arms. the result? my movement will be greatly limited. the other option would be to have my arms raised pretty high and have my elbows control the upper segment of the arm and the wrists to control the lower. the disadvantage to that is that my 'arms' will be very weak. hardly suitable for an ork of any size. the third and final option is to have the ork arms separated from my own. have my arms by my side inside the torso while I position the arms to hold a loota's deffgun. this is the preferable method because it is the easiest. disadvantage? lootas wear no mask, so I will have to make an articulated face for the ork which is beyond my capabilities. ideas thoughts and most of all HELP! would be greatly appreciated. and do any of you know if there are any ork units besides the loota which can use the deffgun and also were a mask? thanks

Still Standing
26-01-2014, 20:06
Where did you get 8 feet from? I can't quote a source, but since third Ed, I recall 7 feet being the average height for a marine.

That is correct. People seem to think Marines are cooler if they are ridiculous heights. A Marine is a human, who has had organ stuck into his chest. He operates within regular human boundaries, so a regular Tactical Marine is about 7 foot tall.