PDA

View Full Version : Steadfast question.

Dirty Mac
26-01-2014, 08:49
The steadfast rule states that if you have more ranks than your opponent, then you take break tests on unmodified leaderships.
So in the event that say a chariot charged a unit of 10 Swordsmen with FC for example and killed 5 men. no other wounds were caused by either unit.
The chariot wins combat by 5 with the standard cancelling out the charge by the chariot.

This is where it gets tricky, the general consensus is the swordsmen are steadfast, because they have more ranks than the chariot.

Is this true though?

I will post my thoughts in a minute, I just wanted to see what you guys think.

Necronartum
26-01-2014, 09:00
I am not a fantasy veteran, but I would think 'yes'. Primarily because (and I am making an assumption about how the unit is ranked up here), if there were 5 swordsman left, there would be a single rank. There is only 1 chariot and you must have at least 5 to complete a rank.

Artinam
26-01-2014, 09:16
Yes this is correct. Check the Warhammer Rulebook FAQ to further clarify this. The first ranks is counted for steadfast.
It does create silly situation like 5 night goblins being steadfast vs a Bloodthirster. But it does give infantry a fighting chance.

Dirty Mac
26-01-2014, 09:40
So it's in the rule book FAQ? ok then, because the book states you don't count the Fighting rank., That's good news.

moonlapse
26-01-2014, 11:00
The book states you don't count the fighting rank when calulating rank bonus for combat resolution. That is a completely different rule to the steadfast rule and has nothing to do with it. It seems to be a common mistake to combine the two rules like that though.

Artinam
26-01-2014, 13:10
Its exactly what moonlaps said, even without the FAQ it states you count the ranks. Many people laid the connection with the calculating ranks for combat resolution (which indeed does not count the fighting rank), but this was a non-existent link. Although it was confusing (you counted them, 5-wide for infantry).

So the FAQ further clarified it.

Mr_Rose
26-01-2014, 13:26
So it's in the rule book FAQ? ok then, because the book states you don't count the Fighting rank., That's good news.

The book says no such thing regarding Steadfast. It says that a rank must be five wide to count, in the same way as ranks for rank bonus must be; this means that monstrous creatures etc. need to be three wide to count but it does not mean you ignore the fighting rank.

Dirty Mac
26-01-2014, 19:38
Can see why they had to FAQ it though.