PDA

View Full Version : How is Warhammer Fantasy doing in your area?

Seriqolm
26-01-2014, 14:50
As we are about to embark on a new Warhammer fantasy league at my club with 20 sign ups splitting into 4 leagues in a Football World Cup structure, us Brits love our footie and with the supposed internet wisdom that Fantasy is flailing, I thought a nice un-scientific anecdotal poll is in order. Please state where your area is if you don't mind as we'll get a picture of any Fantasy hotspots as well, my club is in London, England.

Montegue
26-01-2014, 14:52
We were struggling for a while. Our local tournaments brought about 8 folks out or so, but the last one drew 14 out. I think Escalation and Stronghold are souring people's taste in 40k. As an example, one of our many shops had an escalation tournament. The guys with the transcendent C'tans were tabling people in less than 30 minutes. I'm hoping that aspect of 40k reinvigorates the Fantasy scene.

Spiney Norman
26-01-2014, 15:09
8th edition really kick-started the fantasy scene for us, we went from half a dozen old grumblers in a club of mainly 40k players to a roughly balanced group where the two games are played about equally and most people play both.

Its really nice having so many because in general whenever a new book comes out we usually have one or two people starting out with it, which brings a great diversity to our games.

Avian
26-01-2014, 15:40
Only one guy hasn't switched to Warmachine / Hordes. I don't know if he's now playing games against himself or what he is doing. ;)

8th edition rules + current price levels + GW's customer-unfriendliness killed it.

IcedCrow
26-01-2014, 15:59
Its booming here. Our goal this summer is 75 people in our Lustrian campaign.

Seriqolm
26-01-2014, 16:19
Only one guy hasn't switched to Warmachine / Hordes. I don't know if he's now playing games against himself or what he is doing. ;)

8th edition rules + current price levels + GW's customer-unfriendliness killed it.

That just made me realise I should have had a zero players option to balance out the results, DOH! but you can vote on 1-5 as at least you have 1 player still playing. ;) If the mods can add that option I'd be grateful.

Karak Norn Clansman
26-01-2014, 16:40
I think there are about five WHFB players settled in my municipality at the moment. Perhaps a few more, but I'm not familiar with the older players outside the tournaments to tell the exact number. Most WHFB players are also 40k players, though WHFB is more popular here.

Pr*ces seems to have halted recruitment, judging by the lack of new youngsters at tournaments nowadays.

shakedown47
26-01-2014, 16:45
In Dayton, OH and the surrounding suburbs we have easily 30 active Fantasy players, with loyalty and playerbase distributed over two main LGS. Our area is a hotbed for Fantasy right now, with Cinci, Indy, and Cbus all having their own strong player communities. A casual tournament in this area draws 20+ people, a well-advertised tournament draws 30-40 or more, and the GT's always sell out. On Sundays, the usual Fantasy PUG day, If you come to the store my friends and I frequent, Epic Loot, even a slow day will give you 3 or 4 different opponents, and a busy day will have 7, 8, or more of us there. Almost everyone owns multiple armies and it's not uncommon to get 3 or 4 games in on an afternoon. We're really lucky to have the players and resources the area has to offer.

IcedCrow
26-01-2014, 17:01
In Dayton, OH and the surrounding suburbs we have easily 30 active Fantasy players, with loyalty and playerbase distributed over two main LGS. Our area is a hotbed for Fantasy right now, with Cinci, Indy, and Cbus all having their own strong player communities. A casual tournament in this area draws 20+ people, a well-advertised tournament draws 30-40 or more, and the GT's always sell out. On Sundays, the usual Fantasy PUG day, If you come to the store my friends and I frequent, Epic Loot, even a slow day will give you 3 or 4 different opponents, and a busy day will have 7, 8, or more of us there. Almost everyone owns multiple armies and it's not uncommon to get 3 or 4 games in on an afternoon. We're really lucky to have the players and resources the area has to offer.

Must be this region in general then :-) makes me happy to be here

Glen_Savet
26-01-2014, 17:06
In the two stores I frequent locally, there are 3 regular fantasy players. Compared to 40k where we have quarterly leagues/campaigns that regularly attract 20+ players. The most recent Warmachine/Hordes league has 12 players.

fantasypisces
26-01-2014, 17:53
We used to have a group of 10 regular fantasy players that would show up weekly, and our local tournaments would bring in around 20 players, while state wide tournaments would be about 40. After 8th came out our local scene completely died, and state wide cons would have about 8-12 players in the tournament. After three years we finally got up to 4-5 regular local players, and state wide cons are going back up, but no where near what it used to be last edition.

tezdal
26-01-2014, 18:00
8th edition killed it.. Plus for the price 'twas outrageously expensive, now mostly FoW and Warmachine.

Jind_Singh
26-01-2014, 18:26
I ran a 7 week campaign at the store - 18 players

Tournaments well out with 50 spots easily taken

At the GW there are plenty of players also - not as many as 40k but enough

A lot more cross over too these days with a fair number of round base players packing a square based army also

VaeVictisGames
26-01-2014, 20:40
At the moment, just fine. I'm running a map campaign at the moment with 9 people, and that's just the ones who were interested. It usually goes in cycles, we'll have a period of interest in Warhammer for a few months, then it'll switch to 40k, then occasionally The Hobbit/ LoTR before back to fantasy. There is usually at least a handful of people wanting a game at any one time though during all points in the cycle.

danny-d-b
26-01-2014, 22:49
we have about 12-15 regular fantasy players in the local area, compared to like 2 in the supposed club

however I believe that 40k massively takes over when you move in to manchester city center, which is a huge shame, everything I hear about 40k makes me less want to play it

GrudgeBringer
26-01-2014, 23:19
I play every tuesday and friday at my local club and there are usually 8-10 fantasy players there, though many are just as likely to be playing 0k or warmachine. We had a tournament a few months back and we 28 players enter.

Archon of Death
26-01-2014, 23:41
Since many aren't saying their location.... anyone in Pittsburgh?

Hengist
26-01-2014, 23:47
Unless you count WAB, which even I still play occasionally, I haven't seen a game of Warhammer played in years, probably since 6th edition was current.

You really needed that zero option.

Seriqolm
26-01-2014, 23:50
Since many aren't saying their location.... anyone in Pittsburgh?

Seems like many Fantasy players are on the shy side. :)

Light of the Emperor
26-01-2014, 23:50
Londonderry, NH. Our local store has players but the last two tournaments brought in 1 and 3 respectively. No seems to be interested in a joint gaming session. I do see one-off games from time to time but that's about it. Oddly enough, a ride 20 minutes north has another store with a growing league.

Archon of Death
26-01-2014, 23:52
Yeah, aside from me, I don't know anyone else. A lot of people who say they would love to but it's too expensive/they don't want to paint. There is a 40k scene at my FLGS, but even the owner says no one really plays fantasy there.

datalink7
27-01-2014, 00:59
There have been 30 players playing at the local tournaments, which is max capacity for the store. So I'd say 31+

Knifeparty
27-01-2014, 01:30
Fantasy has been killing it in my area for the past few years. We had a really strong core group for a while but now that 6th edition has dropped I see a lot of 40K players moving over to fantasy since it's such a better game. Once you go Fantasy you can't go back, it's just a matter of convincing them to play the game.

Coldhatred
27-01-2014, 01:45
Very, very low participation in my area.

Shadeseraph
27-01-2014, 03:55
Madrid, Spain. I tend to play mostly with friends or through internet, so I don't know that many people anyway. About 10-11 should be right. But I don't know many more WH40K regulars either (maybe ~20?), which can't be right as there are 4 GW stores around here for as long as I've been playing. You need a much more powerful playerbase to be able to open that amount of shops.

In general, it seems to me that the WH40K / WHFB ratio has stayed the same, and the WH40K guys that haven't picked WHFB usually complain about generics such as tight formations, rather than edition specifics. Same for WH40K, either: Most of them were thrilled with escalation, and being able to field Baneblades in normal games.

Archon of Death
27-01-2014, 04:37
Actually, I found the rules for Warbands as a pdf online. I'm going to get like 20 people into this now by starting at 150 point games.

Ramius4
27-01-2014, 06:09
I did not vote, since I do not play in a store. I have a group of 6 guys that play fairly regular, and have for years. I know there are lots of local stores that hold games, tourneys and leagues though, so the number of players would be in the hundreds if you were to look throughout the city.

WLBjork
27-01-2014, 06:45
My club in Mansfield, UK has barely touched WHFB for 18 months or more.

Horde and steadfast killed it for me, not sure about the others.

dalezzz
27-01-2014, 06:48
Yes I wonder how many of the votes are a case of " me and my friend don't play it 1-5" :p

Evil Hypnotist
27-01-2014, 09:03
My club held it's first tournament in December for 22 fantasy players, we have filled a void left by another local club that has become embroiled in WW2 and have picked up a number of their players. Fantasy, at the moment, is the main system seen there with 50%+ of games each week.

enyoss
27-01-2014, 09:21
While I can't generalize for all of London, of the main clubs I know we recently had one announce that WHFB won't be supported any more in 2014, another has relegated WHFB to a niche/hard-to-find-opponents game, and the third acknowledges that while WHFB was the main game a few years back (I remember over a dozen players each week, having to book a week in advance) it is now one of the rarer games.

Seems that Warmahordes is getting all the attention instead. I heard that Dark Sphere hold WHFB gaming nights so I'm holding out hope that I might still be able to find a decent sized crowd there... but not much hope :(.

Ero-Senin
27-01-2014, 09:42
In Winchester, England there are about 15ish in and around my local gaming club. But the south coast GT just down the road in Portsmouth has 200 places available every year and sells out in like 2 minutes with a reserve list in the hundreds too. (Who says fantasy is dying!)

Daniel36
27-01-2014, 11:31
Doing really well here. Our club has at least one game every club night (which is once every two weeks) and in the past two years we have seen three Storm of Magic games and we also played a Triumph and Treachery game shortly after its release. I am also trying to get people enthusiastic to try out some Mordheim next week.

40K doesn't get played at all. I think we had one game in the past two years.

Dropzone Commaner is doing really well. But you didn't ask that.

There is another club here that plays both on equal measure I think...
Warhammer Fantasy is the drug of choice at our club anyways.

Seriqolm
27-01-2014, 11:49
While I can't generalize for all of London, of the main clubs I know we recently had one announce that WHFB won't be supported any more in 2014, another has relegated WHFB to a niche/hard-to-find-opponents game, and the third acknowledges that while WHFB was the main game a few years back (I remember over a dozen players each week, having to book a week in advance) it is now one of the rarer games.

Seems that Warmahordes is getting all the attention instead. I heard that Dark Sphere hold WHFB gaming nights so I'm holding out hope that I might still be able to find a decent sized crowd there... but not much hope :(.

We are you in London?

Seriqolm
27-01-2014, 11:51
Yes I wonder how many of the votes are a case of " me and my friend don't play it 1-5" :p

My fault there should have thought through the options better.

enyoss
27-01-2014, 13:08
We are you in London?

Live around Finsbury Park, work in the square mile.

I used to go to Clapham Wargamers quite a bit around 5 years ago, but when I went last year the WHFB scene was just about dead. I also tried out Cross Gaming Club last year (perfect for me as it's close to work), but chatting to players there it looked like they had also dropped WHFB.

I've only found one or two other London clubs which actually play WHBF, but mostly they're a bit of a pain to get to for me - the dependence on public transport in London, while usually being a bonus, doesn't work well when it comes to carting armies around (and don't get me started on that stupid rulebook)!

Lord Solar Plexus
27-01-2014, 17:29
Perhaps you can pick up a small one from eBay, enyoss.

----

Essen, Germany (including neighbouring cities, towns and hamlets because they all border each other pretty much like city quarters do). Probably 31+. GW Oberhausen (2 minutes from my place) is hosting a build-up campaign with 20 players, many of them completely new faces. There's a regional website for TT gaming (see sig); activity here is down but you can still find opponents. The Pegasus and BartBattle tournaments within 25 km have 42 and 100 places respectively and are both completely overrun (75 and over a hundred signed up).

childsoldier
27-01-2014, 17:43
The club I play in is pretty new, only around the last year or so. We have 15 regulars, all bar one of whom play 40k. The other guy only plays Fantasy and so we're taking it up. A lot of us always wanted to play but just never got around to it. We're starting a Fantasy campaign at present and have about 6-7 players already having started armies and one or two more who are sounding as if they might also be convinced to take it up. So Fantasy is not quite as popular as 40k, but compared to where it was a year ago it's grown exponentially (although admittedly from nothing whatsoever...).

And the club is in Ashbourne, Ireland and has players from counties Meath and Dublin, mostly the Navan and Ashbourne areas in Meath and the Swords and Finglas areas of Dublin. If anyone from the area wants to join we're always looking for new members, PM myself or Felwether, he's the one who started the club and keeps it going!

N1AK
27-01-2014, 17:43

With plenty of clubs seeing Warhammer booming I think you forgot the single biggest factor that killed it => Your group.

It does seem strange how different groups react. One club I used to go to effectively dropped fantasy when 8th was released (and a couple of the most active players, myself included moved away). The other two clubs I've attended in the area are playing it more than ever. Last Thursday there were 8 games going and that's a comparatively quiet night.

JWhex
27-01-2014, 17:59
I choose 31+ and my area is defined by a 60 minute driving radius which is about 50-70 miles depending on route and direction.

On a more local level it is maybe 20+ and 40k has taken an enormous smashing hit to the face locally with many of us shelving 40k for now. NOT rage quitting the game, just waiting out the current disaster and this means more people are playing fantasy.

Lord Anathir
27-01-2014, 19:15
Malta.

Doing fine. Used to be the dominant game about a year or so ago but I think we overplayed it a bit and have moved on to 40k/hordes for a bit but everyone will come back to fantasy eventually. A lot of folk building/painting new armies.

put me in the 30+ category.

KLupton
27-01-2014, 19:58
Doncaster, England..... Our club of around 20 people is a fantasy dominated club, with the odd 40k, saga and warmahordes game going on a rare occasion

Felwether
27-01-2014, 20:03
The club I play in is pretty new, only around the last year or so. We have 15 regulars, all bar one of whom play 40k. The other guy only plays Fantasy and so we're taking it up. A lot of us always wanted to play but just never got around to it. We're starting a Fantasy campaign at present and have about 6-7 players already having started armies and one or two more who are sounding as if they might also be convinced to take it up. So Fantasy is not quite as popular as 40k, but compared to where it was a year ago it's grown exponentially (although admittedly from nothing whatsoever...).

And the club is in Ashbourne, Ireland and has players from counties Meath and Dublin, mostly the Navan and Ashbourne areas in Meath and the Swords and Finglas areas of Dublin. If anyone from the area wants to join we're always looking for new members, PM myself or Felwether, he's the one who started the club and keeps it going!

:D:yes:

There's also a club for kids on Sundays and they've all jumped on the bandwagon too so I'd say Fantasy is doing pretty well in our area.

Bugg13
27-01-2014, 21:08
In York and there's about 9-10 I can think of, but there's probably more I don't know. However, this is mainly due to a 'Tale of Store Gamers' event being run by the local GW store in an effort to push fantasy. Tale of Store Gamers has really got fantasy going in the area and on some nights we have more fantasy games going than 40k now (It also gave me the incentive to get my much neglected Dwarfs painted and ready to go - with the final on the 8th of Feb :)).

I can't say what it was like beforehand as I've only recently moved into the area, but where I was before there was only me and one other person who played it, and that was only very rarely due to the general focus on 40k by the rest of the group.

Seriqolm
27-01-2014, 23:21
Thanks for all the replies seems as if fantasy is very hit or miss around the Wargaming world but its far from being dead and buried.

Lord Cedric
27-01-2014, 23:39
In Southwest Michigan, Fantasy is regarded as highly interested but monetarily unattainable for many. However, there isn't a shortage of people willing to play if there are available armies that can be "borrowed". My club consists of friends, only 5 of us regularly play, and have 15 Fantasy armies available which makes it easy to get diverse games. But all of us are actively recruiting. Aside from the money aspect, it seems another obstacle is painting and time. But we usually get the "wow that looks cool" expression a lot.

- Lord Cedric

enyoss
27-01-2014, 23:55
Perhaps you can pick up a small one from eBay, enyoss.

Yeah, I know! Since games have been harder to come across I've been putting it off. But seeing as it's a new year I'll take your post as a spur towards a New Year's Resolution and get my rear into gear and buy one... if WHFB is as dead as I'm saying it should come cheap at least :D.

Seriqolm
28-01-2014, 00:08
Live around Finsbury Park, work in the square mile.

I used to go to Clapham Wargamers quite a bit around 5 years ago, but when I went last year the WHFB scene was just about dead. I also tried out Cross Gaming Club last year (perfect for me as it's close to work), but chatting to players there it looked like they had also dropped WHFB.

I've only found one or two other London clubs which actually play WHBF, but mostly they're a bit of a pain to get to for me - the dependence on public transport in London, while usually being a bonus, doesn't work well when it comes to carting armies around (and don't get me started on that stupid rulebook)!

That's a shame mate as my club is in SE London so a bit of a trek for you, I'm very lucky to have a thriving Fantasy scene on my doorstep. Have you tried Dakka Dakka player finder feature?

NagashLover
28-01-2014, 04:44
I left my local game store a long time ago. Burnt some bridges (someone I knew as a brother included, which is sad as it's just a game but we both handled it poorly) as it's filled with Warmachine and Hordes (it was the players and even then it was the conduct of certain people, not the whole). Anyways, when I was there we had about 8 of us that still played Fantasy with maybe 11 that player 40K. Not sure what it's like currently there but I doubt the numbers changed much. I still play Warmahordes/Fantasy/40K with a few of them (well all of them in Fantasy and 40K), just not at the store. So I voted 6-10.

Durloth
28-01-2014, 12:03
Never better in Oslo. We lost quite a few people around the release of 8th to WarmaHordes and FoW, but they have been replaced by others who have either started the hobby or have picked it up again.

DeathGlam
28-01-2014, 14:13
Doing fine in my area, seems to be a healthy but smaller then 40k & less vocal playerbase here and my regular gaming club has a now almost weekly 2 or 3 a side Fantasy game with various players involved.

Im looking forward to joining in more once i get my act together on my new army.

Should also add myself and a few of the other players are only returning from many years break of regular fantasy due to the changes 8th has given.

Wesser
28-01-2014, 22:30
Doing fine..

Local stockist mostly runs 40k mini-tournies though.

My gaming Group aren't the youngest crowd so we tend to prefer Fantasy tactically.

40k draws us in from time to time due to the number of scifi lovers in the Group, but once we get tired of playign shooting gallery and want a tactical game we go back to fantasy

popisdead
29-01-2014, 00:12
Outrageously bad. $70 Witch Elves may have been the final nail in the coffin. People are bluntly selling off armies and getting into FoW or WarmaHordes.

lordfeint
29-01-2014, 18:37
Londonderry, NH. Our local store has players but the last two tournaments brought in 1 and 3 respectively. No seems to be interested in a joint gaming session. I do see one-off games from time to time but that's about it. Oddly enough, a ride 20 minutes north has another store with a growing league.

I moved back to Nashua awhile ago and I agree WFB seems mostly absent from the Castle, with WM/H stealing a lot of thunder. Pity the folks there don't seem too helpful regarding getting into it, I'd likely have blown some good $$$ there a few weeks back. I voted 1-5.
Back in Fort Lauderdale tho, it was a solid 10-15 most weekends.

SSquirrel
30-01-2014, 22:53
Apparently the Louisville KY GW store has been leading North America in sales the last 6 months, so it's doing great here. IcedCrow already mentioned the schemes of a 75 person Lustria narrative campaign in July. Still finishing my first army and borrowing armies for matches to learn right now. It's been fun