PDA

View Full Version : Fluff help please!! Necrons and Chaos Marines

jthdotcom
26-01-2014, 16:54
I am wanting to use some Chaos Marine allies with my necron army, fluff wise is their any legion that would be more justifiable? Need to know so I can start painting!

Lorcryst
26-01-2014, 16:59
Fluff wise, there is no one the the entire Galaxy that will ally with Necrons.

Necrons are there to snuff out all life and perfect their own view of the universe.

But I guess that since it's possible in the alliance matrix, a suitably contrived justification can be built ... Iron Warriors perhaps, because of their love of all things mechanical ?

Scorvus
26-01-2014, 17:09

Necrons are there to snuff out all life and perfect their own view of the universe.

But I guess that since it's possible in the alliance matrix, a suitably contrived justification can be built ... Iron Warriors perhaps, because of their love of all things mechanical ?
Actually since the new codex Necrons are not seeking to exterminate all life. Just the parts that will not bow down to there inevitable rule.
Now to the OP's question. Fluff wise I cannot think of anything mainly due to the Necrons being against chaos as it where. Maybe as Lorcryst pointed out Iron Warriors but I get the feeling both sides would be watching each other very closely. Another would be Alpha Legion probaly pretending to be something they are not to get the help they feel they need at the time.

Last_Soliatire
26-01-2014, 17:15
Hmm. At first I struggled to think of a decent connection other than "Let's destroy everything together!"

Then it hit me like a thunderbolt. Why not the Thousand Sons? They're buddies with the Lord of Change. Let's say they need the Necrons to overcome a force greater than both of them (e.g. a huge IG force defending a planet full of relics), they could find the crons that want their flesh forms back and promise to help them get it.

Or alternatively, is it implausible that Ahriman would ally with the Necron factions who want to go back to their original bodies, say one that's full of Flayed Ones, because they both want to go back to what they once were? Ahriman wants to undo the Rubric, the Necrons want flesh, could they not sweep across the galaxy together to find the answers?

Draconis
26-01-2014, 17:19
Fluffwise, similar enemies. Think Blood Angels and Crons teaming up to kill tyranids. The greater threat. Same could be said for any opponent that chaos and necrons are facing. It's similar to the same reason Eldar helped the space marines from time to time. Just a means to an end.

The necrons don't see a problem teaming up with the lesser races as long as they get their empires back doing so. Because in the end, all these races will bow down to them anyway. Chaos tends to see alien races the same way the emperium does for the most part. Heretical, xenos scum. Which is why as allies they don't trust each other, but again, if fighting a mutual enemy...

Splen
26-01-2014, 17:20
I'd go with alpha legion too. Especially as necrons have more sentience now rather than being the automatons of old. I can imagine the necron lord and the chaos marine cooking up a convoluted conspiracy. Kind of like the sith and general grievous! Of course they would stab each other in the back after a while, but that's half the fun of evil bargains and schemes no?

Scammel
26-01-2014, 17:26
Alpha Legion, purely on the basis that they're the most flexible Legion strategically and are seemingly capable of supporting even Loyalists if it furthers their ultimate goals.

Lorcryst
26-01-2014, 17:41
Actually since the new codex Necrons are not seeking to exterminate all life. Just the parts that will not bow down to there inevitable rule.

I didn't knew that ... my interest in 40K was killed by 3rd Edition, and all I know of the Necrons come from the Black Library novels, specifically the Ciaphas Cain series ...

So, my apologies.

I still think that the Allies system, the small few bits that I know of if, is a bandage on a wooden leg there to allow players to maximize cheese in their armies, but this is the 40K universe, anything is possible, with the most basic rationnale being "Chaos Did It !".

RejjeN
26-01-2014, 18:40
I personally thing a Necron/Chaos Alliance lends itself to some nice conversation ideas.

Personally I'm planning on having some Chaos allies, fluff wise a smaller warband (or the remnants of one) that happened to be around when my swedish caroline-coloured necrons woke from their tomb, and proceeded to become mindshackled by them. The cultists have scarabs flying around on their bases or attached to their backs/shoulders, basically the control units for the mindscarabs. I've also got a Spyder attached to the back of a Heldrake, with parts of the back and wings having started to be rebuilt with Necron patterns on them. Once I've got the energy for it I'll finish cleaning the tiny spiders a friend made for my that I'll attach to the Heldrake wings and cover up the bad spots as well as give the impression of it being worked on even as it flies into battle while being controlled by the Spyder.

Lord Damocles
26-01-2014, 19:43
You might want to look up Aetehk the Watcher from Black Crusade.

He's a Necron Lord operating in the Screaming Vortex who a legend tells joined forces with Lord Vorsk of the Dagger Tongues to purge the hulk Last Damnation.

Even a decade ago the Necrons/C'tan were fostering vassal races like the Silvae from the 3rd ed. Codex and the sauropod race from Forever Loyal, and showing themselves willing to take living subjects/prisoners (Xenology, pariahs, Diggas, Medusa V 'Nids). Allied renegade Ad Mech even got rules during the Medusa V campaign.

Necrons being 'all killing all the time' was a myth.

Draconis
26-01-2014, 21:01
even their 3rd edition codex had pictures of them taking slaves.

Xerkics
26-01-2014, 21:09
Fluff wise there should be no army the necrons couldnt ally with since they can employ mind shackle scarabs to dominate the commanders and officer cadre of pretty much any race to fight their wars for them as pawns or for fun or whatever.

Charistoph
26-01-2014, 21:39
Fluff wise there should be no army the necrons couldnt ally with since they can employ mind shackle scarabs to dominate the commanders and officer cadre of pretty much any race to fight their wars for them as pawns or for fun or whatever.

Pretty much this.

But just for fun, have the CSM lead by a Warpsmith whose following is a smattering of Iron Warriors and Iron Hands. If you REALLY want to go crazy, start mixing Necron arms and legs in the Iron Hands parts as they try to become Necrons.

Xerkics
26-01-2014, 22:36
Pretty much this.

But just for fun, have the CSM lead by a Warpsmith whose following is a smattering of Iron Warriors and Iron Hands. If you REALLY want to go crazy, start mixing Necron arms and legs in the Iron Hands parts as they try to become Necrons.

Also mechanikum forces / IG , the Priests of Mars could never resist sexy new tech.

Charistoph
27-01-2014, 00:26
Also mechanikum forces / IG , the Priests of Mars could never resist sexy new tech.

Hmm, true, but this was more about getting CSM to work with Necrons.

It would be fun/interesting to pull Adeptus Mechanicus/Dark Mechanicum from Forgeworld's Horus Heresy in as an ally. The worth of collecting would be more on how your local meta would feel about such things.

Xerkics
27-01-2014, 00:32
Hmm, true, but this was more about getting CSM to work with Necrons.

It would be fun/interesting to pull Adeptus Mechanicus/Dark Mechanicum from Forgeworld's Horus Heresy in as an ally. The worth of collecting would be more on how your local meta would feel about such things.

Well think about it this way. The CSM use a lot of daemon engines which are part tech part daemon they can reshape itself etc.
Necrons can be viewed as entities possessing tech bodies as well , so living metal is kinda like daemon possesed tech to CSM , nothing CSM havent seen before there. They are used to work with malevolent spirits of all sorts so like its not like they will get freaked out or anything.

Robotlord
27-01-2014, 01:05
Another vote for Iron Warriors, maybe with an emphasis on the Dark Mechanicum. After all there is "something" mutually interesting.

The void dragon buried at the centre of mars, one of the remaining c'tan. I don't know how it fits into the newcrons fluff but it might be a whole c'tan rather than shards.

Zothos
27-01-2014, 01:46
My vote is please, please for the love of whatever God you hold dear, please do not release yet another ally abomination loose on the world.

MaliceXR3
27-01-2014, 09:53
My vote is please, please for the love of whatever God you hold dear, please do not release yet another ally abomination loose on the world.

We couldn't be more in agreement

Lorcryst
27-01-2014, 09:59
You might want to look up Aetehk the Watcher from Black Crusade.

He's a Necron Lord operating in the Screaming Vortex who a legend tells joined forces with Lord Vorsk of the Dagger Tongues to purge the hulk Last Damnation.

Even a decade ago the Necrons/C'tan were fostering vassal races like the Silvae from the 3rd ed. Codex and the sauropod race from Forever Loyal, and showing themselves willing to take living subjects/prisoners (Xenology, pariahs, Diggas, Medusa V 'Nids). Allied renegade Ad Mech even got rules during the Medusa V campaign.

Necrons being 'all killing all the time' was a myth.

Thank you for the information, but as I said a bit below the post you quoted, my interest in 40K was killed by 3rd Ed, and I'm only working on knowledge based on Black Library novels, the Ciaphas Cain series ... and the Necrons are depicted in there as soulless killers intent on getting rid of the "lesser pests" that infest their galaxy.

Still, I don't get the "minimaxing" mindset of Allies, be it in Fantasy or 40K, it brings back nightmares of plugging the weaknesses of your army with the best things you can (Fantasy Chaos Warriors with Dwarf Cannons were a favourite in my local tournament scene back in 4th Ed Fantasy ... just the best of both worlds really).

ReveredChaplainDrake
27-01-2014, 15:11
Thank you for the information, but as I said a bit below the post you quoted, my interest in 40K was killed by 3rd Ed, and I'm only working on knowledge based on Black Library novels, the Ciaphas Cain series ... and the Necrons are depicted in there as soulless killers intent on getting rid of the "lesser pests" that infest their galaxy.
Well... not exactly exterminate everything. The C'tan had a particular interest in humans, and it was thought that the untouchable gene (the occasional mutation that makes the Culexus Assassin happen) was actually their doing, and the first step to creating Necron Pariahs. The idea was that they were okay with humans (well, the untouchables anyway) because they could turn them into these quasi-organic... things that nobody could pin down what they were. They weren't really true Necrons, given that they lacked Reanimation Protocols, and they also wrecked face against daemons and psykers, suggesting that they were created to serve some grander plan, possibly involving sealing off the warp. Unfortunately, it seems we'll never know what was meant for that very cool idea, instead having Pariahs essentially replaced with the astonishingly unimaginative Lychguard (Necrons with better gear) and anybody who thinks differently is some mon-keigh fool that the Eldar laugh at behind their backs.

Still, I don't get the "minimaxing" mindset of Allies, be it in Fantasy or 40K, it brings back nightmares of plugging the weaknesses of your army with the best things you can (Fantasy Chaos Warriors with Dwarf Cannons were a favourite in my local tournament scene back in 4th Ed Fantasy ... just the best of both worlds really).
Allies don't replace choices in your native Force Org. Rather, they're add-ons to the standard Force Org. Most of the complaining comes from armies allying with themselves to spam 4-8 of their best unit in games so small that no non-tailored force could possibly take them on. Fortunately, the OP doesn't strike me as the type who would actually use allies that way.

It's not that hard to get fluff justification for why Necrons would work with anyone. Unlike a certain other xenos race I could mention, Necrons are about as amicable and negotiable as any human race would be. Possibly more, given their traditions of nobility and diplomacy are basically about as saccharine as the Tau. Granted they can't fall to daemonic corruption (I think...), some of the more militant CSM factions (Iron Warriors, Night Lords, Alpha Legion) might have legitimate reason to team up with Necrons.

Vedar
27-01-2014, 16:48
Iron Warriors are paranoid to the extreme. They would never willingly work with Necrons. I could see Alpha legion or really any self built warband teaming up with them to go after their own goals. Possibly one side tricking the other or both thinking they are tricking the other side. I could see Trazyn teaming up with a CSM warband to get a trinket or a CSM lord luring Trazyn to a trinket to attack some imperial forces.

Spiney Norman
30-01-2014, 13:08

Actually Necrons arguably have the most varied set of goals of any faction in the game, you could basically invent a tomb world whose Overlord has woken up after 6 millennia worth of corruption on his memory circuits and ordered his armies to scour the galaxy for rare species of butterflies.