PDA

View Full Version : Raven Guard Allies

Langdon
26-01-2014, 17:09
I am not sure if this should be in here or background, but I am wondering what would make for a fluffy ally to Raven Guard.

I have a core of ~500pts that I could swap out for different games and figured that I would try allies but as I field a "fluffy" RG list.. I would want an ally choice that fits their play style and story.

Any ideas?

Mage
26-01-2014, 19:11
Well, before I go into too much, you have to remember that the universe is a big place and the Imperium has a long history. You couold essentially do whatever you want and make up reasons.

White Scars might make good allies as per the 'Hunt for Voldorious' tale, or whatever his name was. The Raven Guard worked with the Ultramarines in the novel series based on the latter. A successor chapter like the Raptors, who have a similar but different style and strong connection would be another. There aren't a lot of stealthy armies that fight the way the Ravenguard traditional do is the main issue. Any Chapter of marines can field a scout or infiltration force if need be, though some might not do so due to issues with such tactics or due to their culture.

The Tanith first and only from the novels of the same name might work well with Raven Guard from a tactical perspective: camo cloaks, guerrilla warfare, infiltration, snipers, etc.

BrotherOfBrass
26-01-2014, 20:07
Looking at the question from a slightly different angle, my Space Wolves have a small allied Raven Guard contingent in honour of the fighting during the Siege of the Jarelphi Palace, as recounted in the Saga of the Weregeld. I don't know if Space Wolf allies fit the fluff of your army, but Wolf scouts are pretty good at infiltrating and a character with Saga of the Hunter might fit your play style. Just a thought.

Xerkics
26-01-2014, 20:32
Any imperial forces apart from White scars will work, As raven guard think that white scars are incompetent buffons charging heedlessly into battle with little care for much else.

Ozybonza
26-01-2014, 20:48
If you wanted to go all Horus Heresy, Salamanders or Iron hands would work well as they all got their asses handed to them together and hung out afterwards.

Langdon
26-01-2014, 21:34
Any non-imperial ideas?

While I do value the responses.. i wonder if any xenos would fight with them using proper fluff.. non of the made up Wardian Stuff.. brofisting BA-Crons for example :P

Menthak
26-01-2014, 21:37
Any non-imperial ideas?

While I do value the responses.. i wonder if any xenos would fight with them using proper fluff.. non of the made up Wardian Stuff.. brofisting BA-Crons for example :P

No.

The same temporary alliances as most other factions is there though (Eldar teaming up to kill Necrons, Tau teaming up to kill Tyranids.) But there are no set alliances with them and xenos and I can't recall any official fluff examples.

Xerkics
26-01-2014, 22:32
No.

The same temporary alliances as most other factions is there though (Eldar teaming up to kill Necrons, Tau teaming up to kill Tyranids.) But there are no set alliances with them and xenos and I can't recall any official fluff examples.

There is no fluff reason for alliance with xenos filth . The only Non imperial race that has a close relationship with Raven Guard that i know of is Orcs , and thats purely because Shrike keeps killing them everywhere.
And i dont think they like them very much because Raven Guard wouldnt give them a fair fight. They d call them sneaky gits probably.

Charistoph
27-01-2014, 01:05
I wouldn't try to duplicate the Raven Guard style with an Ally, but should account for their deficiencies.

Of course, no one has mentioned the Guard (or will it be Astra Militorium?), who can provide numbers, heavy armour, or nasty artillery (or all three if planned properly). You can even give them a similar theme by using Veterans and Ratlings or Storm Troopers. Only downside is that their codex is rumored to have an update soon, so what is good today, may not be as desireable in 4 months.

Mage
27-01-2014, 20:25
Any non-imperial ideas?

A Tau Stealth force with Stealth suits and pathfinders?

Xerkics
27-01-2014, 23:17
A Tau Stealth force with Stealth suits and pathfinders?

Why would they though? The whole Tau are best friends forever with Spaz marines makes no sense , Tau are one of the greatest threats to the imperium because of the insidious nature of their lies. And any commander wouldnt want you even talking to them nm working with them. And yes the ally chart is stupid and not really supported by the fluff.

Fangschrecken
28-01-2014, 00:15
How about Eldar?

Imperials periodically team up with elder if the elder believe it will further their own ends. That's one of the main reasons the Imperium hasn't tried to murder every craftworld they come across. Eldar are as likely to help humans as to kill them.

Mage
28-01-2014, 00:27
Why would they though? The whole Tau are best friends forever with Spaz marines makes no sense , Tau are one of the greatest threats to the imperium because of the insidious nature of their lies. And any commander wouldnt want you even talking to them nm working with them. And yes the ally chart is stupid and not really supported by the fluff.

He asked for non Imperial allies in a later post, and mentions an army in the fist post to use with simliar warfare techniques to the Ravenguard. Different technolgy and equpiment, same general idea of shadow warfare. These sprung to mind, so I suggested them. I never mentioned the allies connection or anything along the lines of 'best friends'. There aren't any stealthy eldar faction, so what are we left with: Blood Axe Orks?

Don't derail the thread by complaining about the allies chart: it's part of the rules now whether you like it or not. Furthermore, it gives players like the OP choices to do a themed army exactly how he/she wants them to be. I'm so sick of people on this forum constantly being negative and complaining.

Langdon
28-01-2014, 00:49
New eBook came out with an "uneasy" alliance between RG and another force.. shame its 3.50 to find out if its worth it.

Grand Master Azrael
29-01-2014, 09:07
The Charcharadons chapter.... Bloodthirsty, but it's hinted that they're successors to the Raven Guard.

Saunders
29-01-2014, 18:39
An Alaitoc Eldar pathfinder force would be quite stealthy.

Dryaktylus
29-01-2014, 19:39
Well, Raven Guard and their Primarch are known to help the oppressed and to free slaves.

So what about a slave army fighting against their oppressors (Orks, Chaos Space Marines or Necrons)? Use Codex IG, but give it a ragged look (by using cultist models for example). You could include other species who were also captured (Eldar, Tau, Kroot, Vespids with damaged wings) modelwise. Would be a force with much conversion potential (and very unique).

Langdon
29-01-2014, 23:58
Well, Raven Guard and their Primarch are known to help the oppressed and to free slaves.

So what about a slave army fighting against their oppressors (Orks, Chaos Space Marines or Necrons)? Use Codex IG, but give it a ragged look (by using cultist models for example). You could include other species who were also captured (Eldar, Tau, Kroot, Vespids with damaged wings) modelwise. Would be a force with much conversion potential (and very unique).

best idea yet..

may need to work on that :P

Xerkics
30-01-2014, 00:17
best idea yet..

may need to work on that :P

A mix of alien races fighting with salvaged Tau tech , who seen through the Tau lies about the "greater good" and Raven Guard helping them fight a Guerilla war against their Tau Oppressors? You could use catachan with pulse rifles and tau gear as path finders , "looted" riptides with Grot pilot strapped in where the head should be , "looted" hammerheads etc.

P.S: I think it would make more sense fluff wise do it this way if you wanted to ally with the tau rather than the whole hand holding singing koombaya routine the main rule book wants to sell you. Tau are after all alien oppressors of multiple alien species and Raven guard have a thing for helping the underdog .

Kaiserdean
30-01-2014, 20:07
"Hunt for Voldorius" by Andy Hoare pairs up White Scars and Raven Guard in an uneasy alliance to kill a Chaos Daemon.

I've always thought Scars made a good compliment to a RG list because they play so differently but essentially both blitz forward and remain mobile.

I'd suggest an IG unit though. Get a Commissar, a 20 man blog, and all the heavies you can squeeze in point wise. The IG can be used for any Imperial allies you need, can camp an objective and would make great pawns for your RG who think like chess players.

Grand Master Azrael
30-01-2014, 21:03
An army of infiltrating guard veterans to represent a guerrilla force allying with the Raven Guard.