PDA

View Full Version : Would Blanks and Pariahs be worth it?

Commissar Davis
26-01-2014, 17:39
If GW made a data slate for Blanks and Pariahs (http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Blank_%28Psychic%29), would they get used?

I am talking about a 0-1 model/unit that can be attached to HQ's, as both are rare (pariahs more rare than blanks) so would not be feasible as anything other than a single model unit. Not entirely sure what rules they would have other than nulling an area against psychic powers (friend or foe) which would be useful in and of its self.

Thoughts?

Turion Rilyaloce
26-01-2014, 18:02
They could also lower the leadership of nearby psychers, making it harder to cast powers. This would represent the feeling of foreboding they give to psychers. So a null radius, and a leadership modifier i would say.

Langdon
26-01-2014, 18:05
Considering that Kharn is a sorta-blank, in that he is gifted by Khorne to ignore every psychic power (sadly friendly ones too) and the unit he is in too, I think that a Pariah should be the same

3 stats across the board except 2 wounds, 1 attack and LD7. 3+ save, bolter or BP/CCW for 55pts?

maybe pay +30pts for an extra "mastery level" to make it a 6" bubble?

is 55pts too cheap for a unit that will ignore magic completely?

Could just have it where it increases DTW rolls by +2

They could also lower the leadership of nearby psychers, making it harder to cast powers. This would represent the feeling of foreboding they give to psychers. So a null radius, and a leadership modifier i would say.

Perils on doubles maybe? but only on the Pariah Version... ie blank lvl 1, Pariah lvl 2

Commissar Davis
26-01-2014, 18:32
is 55pts too cheap for a unit that will ignore magic completely? Perhas add that any enemy in base to base with the Blank has the hatred URS in combat against the Blank.

Mastery levels make it interesting, though I would ave thought that only 3 or 4 would be Pariahs and would cause wounds on any Psycher in the bubble (may that is going a bit far) but being invisible to Daemons could be fun, perhaps the shrouded rule would work better at lower levels v psychic powers than deny the which.

All very much food for thought, but would any Imperial player take them?

Slayer-Fan123
26-01-2014, 18:33
My mind went immediately to Necrons as soon as I read Pariahs.

Sgt John Keel
26-01-2014, 18:44
Just as a reminder, the rules for the Pariah in Codex: Witch Hunters gave the Inquisitor (and retinue) a 4+ save against psychic powers, upgraded to 2+ if you had two or more.

The other example, the Culexus assassin, used to have rules that lowered the Ld of all units (friend or foe) within 12" to 7, and any Psyker within 6" had to take a Ld test or fall back. Depending on the reading of the background, this may possibly be representative of the effects even when shielded by the Animus Speculum.

I think it's fairly important to recognise that the influence of a Pariah, regardless of strength, would affect everyone, not just the enemy.

3 stats across the board except 2 wounds, 1 attack and LD7. 3+ save, bolter or BP/CCW for 55pts?

is 55pts too cheap for a unit that will ignore magic completely?

Considering that an Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor with Power Armour and a Null Rod has the same effects and better stats/equipment for 3 pts more, I doubt it.

Commissar Davis
26-01-2014, 20:49
Just as a reminder, the rules for the Pariah in Codex: Witch Hunters gave the Inquisitor (and retinue) a 4+ save against psychic powers, upgraded to 2+ if you had two or more.

The other example, the Culexus assassin, used to have rules that lowered the Ld of all units (friend or foe) within 12" to 7, and any Psyker within 6" had to take a Ld test or fall back. Depending on the reading of the background, this may possibly be representative of the effects even when shielded by the Animus Speculum.

I think it's fairly important to recognise that the influence of a Pariah, regardless of strength, would affect everyone, not just the enemy.

A lot has changed in the game since C:WH was printed, even the way psychic powers work has changed.

Sgt John Keel
26-01-2014, 21:05
A lot has changed in the game since C:WH was printed, even the way psychic powers work has changed.

Yes; the Culexus now does nothing at all special due to its Pariah gene. :shifty: I felt that would possibly be a bit boring to use as an anchor.

Born Again
26-01-2014, 23:17
Considering that Kharn is a sorta-blank, in that he is gifted by Khorne to ignore every psychic power (sadly friendly ones too) and the unit he is in too, I think that a Pariah should be the same

Unless there's something in the HH series I haven't read, Kharn is not a blank at all. He has a specific blessing from Khorne (in older editions, specifically listed as the Collar of Khorne Chaos Reward) which sucks up psychic energy, preventing it from harming him. The rules and what it represents are very different from Blanks/ Pariahs.

Necron Pariahs had the exact same rule as the Culexus in their 3rd edition codex, I think it's safe to say that was intended as a 'USR' of sorts for all models that were Pariahs.

Side note, I really wish Pariahs and the whole "we're harvesting humans to create bio-mechanical hybrids that are immune to psychic influence and radiate horror" thing was still in the current Necron book. I know it hasn't been actively written out, but I always thought it was one of the coolest parts about them and I don't like how it was just neglected. Just about the only part of the new Necron fluff I didn't like.

Eldartank
27-01-2014, 20:19
Isn't a Pariah and Blank the same thing?

insectum7
27-01-2014, 20:33
Side note, I really wish Pariahs and the whole "we're harvesting humans to create bio-mechanical hybrids that are immune to psychic influence and radiate horror" thing was still in the current Necron book. I know it hasn't been actively written out, but I always thought it was one of the coolest parts about them and I don't like how it was just neglected. Just about the only part of the new Necron fluff I didn't like.

Yeah. . . shame, that. It was a really great bit of background, and suggested a really dark pseudo-alliance between humans and Necrons that humans barely knew of.

A.T.
27-01-2014, 21:32
Not entirely sure what rules they would haveAs Sgt John mentioned - with the inquisition book you can get total psychic immunity for a squad of your choice (sans transport of course) starting for a mere 50 points with no other strings attached.

Langdon
28-01-2014, 00:48
As Sgt John mentioned - with the inquisition book you can get total psychic immunity for a squad of your choice (sans transport of course) starting for a mere 50 points with no other strings attached.

For now. Who knows what will happen with GK 6th ed.. besides the obligatory DK in a DK suit ofc