PDA

View Full Version : Archive interview with Gavin Thorpe - We could have had a video game starring Grtoz!

dooms33ker
27-01-2014, 23:25
I had an interview with GW author and game designer Gavin Thorpe about two years ago while writing a story about miniature wargaming for my college newspaper, and I've recently found it tucked away on my computer.

If anyone is interested in reading some of Gavin's opinions on the hobby, it is published here on my blog:

http://monsterstrategy.wordpress.com/2014/01/27/gavin-thorpe-on-miniature-gaming-and-where-it-is-going-archive-interview/

mattl
27-01-2014, 23:34
Good interview. Thanks for sharing.

dooms33ker
29-01-2014, 05:24
Good interview. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the feedback!

Lost Egg
29-01-2014, 07:46
Thanks for sharing. It's always interesting to hear the thoughts of GWs designers once they've left; the only interviews you get in WD are about how amazing whatever is and lack real meat.

Thanks again :)

Shadey
30-01-2014, 01:45
I've had a healthy respect for Gav since reading some of his later fiction (Oh Angels of Darkness gets such an undeserved rep, I loved it) and his posts on this forum. He can be quite insightful.

That being said I have to disagree with one part. When he said the games were not just digital representations of the game, he is correct in the latter period he identified, ie after Dawn of War. Before that however, that is very much what the games were though. They were not very good. The partial exception to this was the Gorkamorka game which unfortunately never bore fruit, but the demo was hilarious. I remember playing it at my cousins and getting in trouble because we were laughing too loud.

I said for years that they needed to use the ip to create a proper computer game, take advantage of the medium rather than trying to replicate the tabletop rules on a computer. As soon as they did that Dawn of War became by far the most successful Warhammer computer game.

Thank you for the interview doom, it was quite interesting.