PDA

View Full Version : House rules for Terrain

tiger g
28-01-2014, 15:15
So for those who play more for the narrative than tournament what rules have you used in your gaming for terrain. Also for those tournament people have there been any specific terrain rules used in the tournament

tiger g
28-01-2014, 15:18
Part of what we do is for fences any ranked infantry that move through a fence the fence is remove. Skirmishers will not remove it just ranked infantry. Also for heavier calvary we would remove the fence. (the fence removed is only the approximate width of the unit.

For stone walls infantry ranks of three or more will remove the wall leaving behind an area of stone.

Hedges block LOS and is not removed when the troops move through.

IcedCrow
28-01-2014, 15:53
Something I like to do is say forests block LOS. Otherwise we have people that will show up with forests that are crammed together that really do block LOS and it makes it a pain in the *** to work with.

Urgat
28-01-2014, 21:45
Yeah, forests block LoS here too.

yabbadabba
28-01-2014, 21:50
Biggest thing is to agree what the terrain does. Some woods stop LOS, others don't. If we are using Mystical Terrain or not.

At the moment we are relooking at the Siege rules because they just don't ring true somehow.

SteveW
29-01-2014, 07:57
The line of sight rules are so simple. You don't have to house rule them blocking LoS, just make forrests that block LoS.

Ramius4
29-01-2014, 08:09
The line of sight rules are so simple. You don't have to house rule them blocking LoS, just make forrests that block LoS.

Seeing as how all previous editions had simple and effective rules to do just that, why not use those rules rather than go through the trouble... You're putting the cart before the horse, so to speak.

yabbadabba
29-01-2014, 08:10
The line of sight rules are so simple. You don't have to house rule them blocking LoS, just make forrests that block LoS. Or, don't, use common sense, and save some money.

Ramius4
29-01-2014, 08:14
At the moment we are relooking at the Siege rules because they just don't ring true somehow.

PM me, I've been working on some siege rules that you may be interested in.

lybban
31-01-2014, 19:07
True los is bulls**t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveW
31-01-2014, 19:41
Or, don't, use common sense, and save some money.
Lol! Save money? Like $1.50 on string?

yabbadabba
31-01-2014, 22:21
Lol! Save money? Like $1.50 on string? If that's how you make your trees, good for you, but you didn't make that clear.

Darnok
01-02-2014, 03:05

As much as I advocate building terrain of your own, I actually really like the GW forrest. The crooked and twisted trees, the "warhammery" design - combined with easy in-game mechanics. I want to use them as they are. Of course I houserule them to block LoS.

SteveW
01-02-2014, 03:39
As much as I advocate building terrain of your own, I actually really like the GW forrest. The crooked and twisted trees, the "warhammery" design - combined with easy in-game mechanics. I want to use them as they are. Of course I houserule them to block LoS.

I use the GW woods. I just added to them. I will put up a short video on how to make them this weekend.

Darnok
01-02-2014, 03:42
I use the GW woods. I just added to them. I will put up a short video on how to make them this weekend.

As I said, I like them as they are. But I'd still like to see what you have done with them.

Spiney Norman
01-02-2014, 20:29
So for those who play more for the narrative than tournament what rules have you used in your gaming for terrain. Also for those tournament people have there been any specific terrain rules used in the tournament

We normally use the terrain rules that are found in the warhammer rule book, it stops people trying to game for advantage by inventing "new and interesting" terrain rules.

There is scope for introducing "house rules" if you like, but if your opponent objects or thinks they are unfair then you revert to the brb rules, it just makes life a lot simpler.

I love the warhammer woods too, its just a shame they're so impractical for gaming. They're great models and would be fine if the terrain rules were representative rather than TLoS, but the fact that a warhammer wood cannot ever block LoS is a real downer for me. We have some of the gale force 9 woods which actually can block LoS if you pack the trees close together.

True los is bulls**t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wholeheartedly agree, but I struggle to see that they will change back to a representative system in the near future, we'll just have to get used to horrible looking over-packed patches of woods until that happens.