PDA

View Full Version : Daemonic Instability

Evil Hypnotist
28-01-2014, 15:29
Hello all, a quick question if you will indulge me;

When working out the effects of Daemonic Instability (DI) the difference in combat results is used as a penalty to the daemon's Leadership. Can this penalty take their Leadership below 1? Isn't the lowest value a characteristic can be reduced to, 1? If this is the case then as DI causes additional wounds on the difference between the dice roll and the modified leadership then if you rolled 3 on 2D6 for example, you would only take two additional wounds to the unit even though the difference in combat resolution may have been much more than 2.

Example:

A unit with 15 daemons takes 12 wounds, with ranks, banners etc. say they lose the combat by a combat resolution score of 16.
The combat resolution of 16 is applied to the daemon's leadership of 7.
Does this reduce their leadership to -9 or 1?
A 3 is rolled on 2D6.
Does DI cause 12 wounds (wiping the last model out) or 2 (leaving the last model for the next combat phase)?

Blkc57
28-01-2014, 15:44
EDIT: Technically the lowest a Characteristic score can be reduced to is zero.

Q: When taking a Daemonic Instability test, can the unit’s Leadership be reduced to below 0?
A: No.

From the very first part of the DoC official FAQ/Errata on GW's website. Their leadership value would be reduced to 0 from the CR and if there were in fact 16 demons who took 12 wounds then yes there would be a single demon left if they rolled a 3 on their LD test. It sounds severe but the randomness of the Instability on boxcars and snake eyes makes up for it.

Artiee
28-01-2014, 16:12
As a note. On snake eye they would get all 12 wounds back and then lose 2 wounds.

Evil Hypnotist
29-01-2014, 08:04
Cheers peeps, my opponent said there wasn't an errata for Daemons but there obviously is an FAQ! All cleared up :)

Squishy1979
05-02-2014, 19:34
As a note. On snake eye they would get all 12 wounds back and then lose 2 wounds.

Can you explain this to me...my brother mentioned this, but reading the Daemon book it did not indicate this to me. It seems that you roll the dice for the break test and then apply either :
a) roll double ones to revive your unit
b) roll double 6's to lose your entire unit
c) roll another value to remove casualties based on the difference between your roll and your leadership

Artiee
05-02-2014, 19:45
There is no C. Its.
----
1. Calculate Combat result and roll 2D6
2. check for the following.

3. THEN provided you did not roll B (Double 6's) remove casualties based on the difference between your roll and your leadership.
----
The lowest leadership for Daemonic Instability that can happen for Daemons is zero. (FAQ Daemons) If you lose 12 wounds and roll snake eyes, see A. Now goto THEN. Your roll is 2. Leadership is 0. so you lose 2 wounds.

If you play 40k daemons, It one of the A, B, C. No THEN statement.

Squishy1979
05-02-2014, 20:06
There is no C. Its.
----
1. Calculate Combat result and roll 2D6
2. check for the following.

3. THEN provided you did not roll B (Double 6's) remove casualties based on the difference between your roll and your leadership.
----
The lowest leadership for Daemonic Instability that can happen for Daemons is zero. (FAQ Daemons) If you lose 12 wounds and roll snake eyes, see A. Now goto THEN. Your roll is 2. Leadership is 0. so you lose 2 wounds.

If you play 40k daemons, It one of the A, B, C. No THEN statement.

Lol, well either my book has the 40k page in it, or I can't read....in any regard, my brother was able to show me a pdf with the instabilty rule on it, which explains it as you just did!