PDA

View Full Version : charges and war machines

Guzzoid
29-01-2014, 01:10
If you charge a war machine can you hit it so you you can face 90 degrees to the left to overrun in that direction?

Sinsigel
29-01-2014, 01:28
War Machines have no concept of front/flank/rear like block of rank & file models.
The charger merely has to touch the war machine in order to complete charge.
Basic rule of 'straight move with one wheel of 90 degrees' apply here. So I think it's legal.

Also, while distance for charging is measured at the shortest route, the rules for charging does mention that once the charge roll
is sufficient to make successful charge, the charger can move unlimited amount. This makes especially fliers effective at charging war machines I suppose.
(Such as making a great eagle's flank touching the muzzle of great cannon to face another war machine right next to cannon, making overrun viable)

Guzzoid
29-01-2014, 02:33
does this work even if the flier is facing right at the war machine?

Sinsigel
29-01-2014, 02:42
does this work even if the flier is facing right at the war machine?

As long as

1) the charge roll is sufficient

2) charge move consists of straight move and a single wheel up to 90 degrees

3) the flier can contact the war machine model(be it flier's front or flank)

then I don't see why it can't be done.

Lord Solar Plexus
29-01-2014, 07:30
If you charge a war machine can you hit it so you you can face 90 degrees to the left to overrun in that direction?

That completely depends on their relative positions prior to the charge.

Guzzoid
29-01-2014, 09:10
That completely depends on their relative positions prior to the charge.

Lets say it is facing directly toward the war machinewar machine

furrie
29-01-2014, 09:23
Then you could still make a single wheel of up to 90 degrees as long as it will take you in base contact with the warmachine (and no pivots on the spot), so in theory you could charge in the "flank" when you in front of a warmachine, its just a bit harder to do.

Lord Solar Plexus
30-01-2014, 07:08
Lets say it is facing directly toward the war machinewar machine

Then you clearly cannot wheel, as any wheel would result in missing the WM. Well, you might be able to wheel *just* a wee bit but the second target would need to be exactly on that path. Remember you need to hit the body of the WM, not a large base nor any wound counters, ie. crew.

Tae
30-01-2014, 14:44
Even if you're square on you should still be able to do it. You would just stop short and then wheel to make contact using the corner of your base.

Lord Solar Plexus
31-01-2014, 13:12
Entirely depends on where the second WM is. If it's on the same base line a couple of inches away, it already becomes very iffy. It's also hard to see if you're moving a model a bit sideways and therefore we're entering the realm of vagueness. Better play it like a gentleman.

Vulgarsty
01-02-2014, 17:58
I play that it can be done, albeit that i hate it. You can take advantage of the 1inch rule perhaps to mitigate it. Hopefully everything will have a base one day

Lord Solar Plexus
01-02-2014, 20:08
A charger who is precisely opposite a warmachine can contact it with its corner but that restricts his wheel to something like 45 degrees, or it charges with its own flank. The charging model also has to make the (single!) wheel prior to contact as it cannot close the door. That means a second target would have to be somewhere 40-45 degrees behind the first.

If the charger starts out to the left of the machine, he can only charge a second target to its right and vice versa.

English 2000
05-02-2014, 21:05
Pre-planning will resolve this for you and allow you to remain a gentleman as LSP rightly suggests.

Angle your unit to the left or right so that a move straight ahead would take you past the war machine, when you are past you wheel into the side and line up directly facing the second war machine so that you can overrun into it.

This exact scenario came up on the weekend. I didn't pre-plan and couldn't get the angle without a wheel and a "close the door" move.

You don't close the door on war machines so I wasn't able angle to see the other war machine.

One thing to watch out for is that a canny opponent might be able to move his war machine to the side and get out of your charge arc.

The closer you are, the greater the risk of him moving out of your LOS. You have been warned :)