PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Raven Guard Army

RagingScots
31-01-2014, 08:17
I have been inspired by the Horus Heresy books to start a small Raven Guard army. I like there use of stealth tactics and look but one thing has always confused me. How can they be stealthy with all that bright white on there armour? I was wondering if anyone else has any ideas for a colour scheme that might be a little bit more stealthy looking.

T10
31-01-2014, 08:31
They always present their left side to the enemy, ready to strike with the right?

Seriously, thereare more ways to paint Raven Guard than the GW studio one: http://sonsofcorax.freeforums.org/raven-guard-colours-t2751.html

I think the bluish white used in the Codex looks more like toothpaste than ceramite. I would have tried for something different.

-T10

Grand Master Azrael
31-01-2014, 10:04
Give them camo cloaks or paint them to look like they have soot or dust on them or someother weathering method to make them look more stealthy.

still-young
31-01-2014, 18:32
Give them camo cloaks or paint them to look like they have soot or dust on them or someother weathering method to make them look more stealthy.

This is a good idea, like they've rubbed dust over anything too bright.

Camman1984
31-01-2014, 22:46
They can be stealthy regardless of colours, black and white would be good in low light or in urban settings and i expect it is a matter of training to hide their bodies while they fight rather than colour, otherwise dark angels would have stealth (trees) for example.

Grand Master Azrael
31-01-2014, 22:48
They can be stealthy regardless of colours, black and white would be good in low light or in urban settings and i expect it is a matter of training to hide their bodies while they fight rather than colour, otherwise dark angels would have stealth (trees) for example.

True, they were trained to blend with the shadows. But there's also a good chance that alot of them might have smeared darker stuff on their armour for a alot of missions.

RagingScots
01-02-2014, 08:41
I like the idea of them darkening there armour but it does not really fit with canon. No space marine would ever willingly cover up there chapter markings.

Langdon
01-02-2014, 08:54
I like the idea of them darkening there armour but it does not really fit with canon. No space marine would ever willingly cover up there chapter markings.

Raptors do it.

Alpha Legion does it.. even pre-heresy they would hide any distinguishing marks and chapter icons.

Considering the OTT Raven Guard and white that 'Eavy Metal has a fetish for recently, heresy RG would have just the chapter symbol in white.

romizzi
01-02-2014, 09:04
It will have to be a balancing act really.
To be totally black might make sense from the point of view of camouflage, but is going to look very dull on the table. A little artistic liscence is fine IMO.

Also, not sure how far you are into the HH but RG can 'wraith-slip'. It's a fluffy excuse for you to have a bit more of an eye-catching paint job :-)

Camman1984
01-02-2014, 09:33
Raven guard are quite a pragmatic chapter so do beleive in camoflage and stealth, no point standing on show for all to see just to get shot. Raptors even more so, they see the codex as a collection of the best ideas to follow but will use whichever tactics is necessary to win including covering up and identifying markings.

Grand Master Azrael
01-02-2014, 09:45
To be totally black might make sense from the point of view of camouflage, but is going to look very dull on the table. A little artistic liscence is fine IMO.

Also, not sure how far you are into the HH but RG can 'wraith-slip'. It's a fluffy excuse for you to have a bit more of an eye-catching paint job :-)

Are you referring to Sharrowkyn in Angel Exterminatus?

Langdon
01-02-2014, 12:01

One or Two special cases does not a trend make

Corax definitely had it and passed it down in his geneseed to a small percentage.. say 10% of the legion? Still a lot of boots on the ground with the ability, though not after Dropsite I don't think.

Sharrowkyn would be one of those "specials"

Grand Master Azrael
01-02-2014, 23:10
Sharrowkyn is a Badass because he killed Lucius in single combat and didn't even turn into Lucius.

II Orar II
02-02-2014, 04:43
Raven guard are quite a pragmatic chapter so do beleive in camoflage and stealth, no point standing on show for all to see just to get shot. Raptors even more so, they see the codex as a collection of the best ideas to follow but will use whichever tactics is necessary to win including covering up and identifying markings.

Just go with this suggestion. There really isn't any reason why the Raven Guard wouldn't use full codex approved camouflage when necessary, the only reason it doesn't appear on art and models much is simply because it isn't a popular look. A lot of chapters refuse to use it out of pride however there is nothing to suggest this would be the case with Raven Guard.

What basing were you planning on using? Consider the basing before making a decision on the colour scheme you want to use. If you're using a snow base for example you could actually go with a predominantly white colour scheme. More information would be helpful like whether you were planning on making a HH army.

RagingScots
02-02-2014, 08:36
Thanks for all the feedback! I am planning on making a Horus Heresy Raven Guard Army. I was thinking of doing an industrial style basing so they could be in a hive or inside a ship. I was thinking of keeping the armour mostly black with maybe a dark red or grey trim. The chapter badge could still be white but on a few specialized units I might make it a dark grey.

Langdon
02-02-2014, 09:13
Thanks for all the feedback! I am planning on making a Horus Heresy Raven Guard Army. I was thinking of doing an industrial style basing so they could be in a hive or inside a ship. I was thinking of keeping the armour mostly black with maybe a dark red or grey trim. The chapter badge could still be white but on a few specialized units I might make it a dark grey.

what ive done is similar.. dark grey crests and badges, and then lighter shades of grey as the light catches it.

With Chapter Symbol, I put it on the knee or not at all depending on the pads i use.