PDA

View Full Version : Horus Heresy Ultramarines

Grand Master Azrael
31-01-2014, 22:52
Hey guys,
I've started reading Know no Fear and I'm thinking of eventually getting a heresy era army of Ultramarines (They were so much cooler back then!). I need advice on everything from paint schemes, tactics, characters and organisation as well as your opinion on what to get.
I've decided that when the FW HH Calth book comes out Marius Gage will be a character, so I'm thinking of getting him.

Turion Rilyaloce
31-01-2014, 23:22
Traitor to the Lion!!! haha but seriously Dark Angles are supposed to come out before them. For Characters i think it will be Venatus, and some of the Triarchs. Ive read some UM heresy stuff but there was not a lot mentioned about Gage. Is he featured in a novel? Good Luck!

Grand Master Azrael
31-01-2014, 23:25
1) I am not a Traitor to the Lion, I am merely recruiting from an allied legion.
2) Gage is in the novel, and is a total badass.
3) Gage might be in the Calth book, as he is the second in command of the entire legion

Langdon
31-01-2014, 23:29
Tactics for UM heresy?

Blood sports FAR FAR away from combat.. and arrive late to help out.

At least the DA did something..

Grand Master Azrael
31-01-2014, 23:34
Tactics for UM heresy?

Blood sports FAR FAR away from combat.. and arrive late to help out.

At least the DA did something..

Yeah, DA fought Night Lords (and people say they did nothing!)

Xerkics
01-02-2014, 00:21
My friend keeps telling me that Ultramarines didnt exist during the heresy and that they are 3rd founding chapter so you cant make a heresy list with them.

Grand Master Azrael
01-02-2014, 00:28
The Ultramarines were the 13th Legion and were most certainly around in the heresy. They were the biggest legion so have the most successors.

Xerkics
01-02-2014, 00:30
The Ultramarines were the 13th Legion and were most certainly around in the heresy. They were the biggest legion so have the most successors.

Thats not what i been told.

Grand Master Azrael
01-02-2014, 00:32
Thats not what i been told.

Look up the battle of Calth.

Warllama
01-02-2014, 00:39
Traitor to the Lion!!! haha but seriously Dark Angles are supposed to come out before them. For Characters i think it will be Venatus, and some of the Triarchs. Ive read some UM heresy stuff but there was not a lot mentioned about Gage. Is he featured in a novel? Good Luck!

From the seminar at last years games day, Calth will be in book 3 of the next trilogy (6th book overall) with DA coming some time afterwards

Leftenant Gashrog
01-02-2014, 00:41
My friend keeps telling me that Ultramarines didnt exist during the heresy and that they are 3rd founding chapter so you cant make a heresy list with them.

Tell him he's wrong, they were 3rd Founding back when the Horus Heresy was called the First Inter-Legionary War, but they've been a part of the Heresy for about as long as it's been CALLED the Horus Heresy.

Xerkics
01-02-2014, 00:41
Look up the battle of Calth.

Well my friend is a long time player and quoted white dwarf 95 to me which lists UM as third founding chapter, when i didnt believe him.

Grand Master Azrael
01-02-2014, 00:45
Well my friend is a long time player and quoted white dwarf 95 to me which lists UM as third founding chapter, when i didnt believe him.

Just look up the Calth Atrocity. plus they have their own Primarch, which makes them first founding.

frikandel speciaal
01-02-2014, 00:45

The Ultramarines fought the Word Bearers during the Horus Heresy.

Grand Master Azrael
01-02-2014, 00:46
Know no Fear covers the start of the Battle of Calth in the Horus Heresy,which was between the Ultramarines and the Word Bearers.

Leftenant Gashrog
01-02-2014, 00:48
The Ultramarines fought the Word Bearers during the Horus Heresy.

Starting with a titanic (both 'legions' present in their entirety) battle in the Space Marine 1st edition rulebook which was published 25 years ago..

There's old skool, and then there's neanderthals ;)

Grand Master Azrael
01-02-2014, 00:56
Starting with a titanic (both 'legions' present in their entirety) battle in the Space Marine 1st edition rulebook which was published 25 years ago..

There's old skool, and then there's neanderthals ;)

and after Neanderthals, there's my Dad. Yes, he really is that old.

Mandragola
01-02-2014, 00:56

The fluff has changed since then. That certainly used to be the case, but now isn't. Ultramarines are now a first founding chapter and did exist during the horus heresy, albeit all they achieved was getting beaten up by the word bearers, who were rubbish anyway. That did mean there were loads of them left alive after the heresy, to spread about the place.

Grand Master Azrael
01-02-2014, 00:59

We can make a heresy list with them, and we don't care what your friend thinks, as your friend is wrong. There are even HH Ultramarines pictured in FW's recent Castellum building-thing

Asdrubael108
01-02-2014, 09:09

Sorry but then he's an idiot... Even if he'd read one HH book, he would know that Ultra smurfs were around there. Does he even have the C: SM???

Grand Master Azrael
01-02-2014, 09:56
Sorry but then he's an idiot... Even if he'd read one HH book, he would know that Ultra smurfs were around there. Does he even have the C: SM???
Agreed. He probably hasn't even played 40k since 1989.