PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Guard Commanders

Wayfarer2571
01-02-2014, 18:40
So, I'm collecting my first Imperial Guard army and I'm looking for unique commander models. Currently, most of my guardsmen have kilts legs and standard Cadian body, arms and head, so I'm looking for an interesting looking commander model other than the ones from GW or Forge World. If anyone has any interesting ideas or websites to have a look at something, it'd be very much appreciated.

Cheers for your time.

Grand Master Azrael
02-02-2014, 20:18
I'm not sure where you get them, but why not try World War 2 German Officers?

Hindle
02-02-2014, 21:09
Victoria Miniatures do a fantastic range of stuff, in particular they do Highland Guard. http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/products/highland-guard?pagesize=12

They sell the parts individually, so maybe you can piece together some epic commander from them

I'd say give the guy a huge claymore if you're going for the highlanders theme :)

Chem-Dog
03-02-2014, 12:10
Are you going for the art-work style OTT Commander with a swagger stick, heroic cape, impressive facial hair, small mascot/pet a hundred or so adjutants and so many medals they are effectively encased in terminator armour or something a little more toned down?

Retrospectus
03-02-2014, 21:19
I used wargames factory stormtroopers for my commissars and officers. not sure if they fit with your kilt theme though

Grand Master Azrael
04-02-2014, 20:40
Macharius would make a cool commander, and I'm pretty sure he's still available from GW.com

Wayfarer2571
05-02-2014, 13:59
Already got the kilts from Victoria minis, they are awesome! As for the commander, I do like the idea of him having impressive facial hair and I was thinking more of the Jacobite Highlanders, pretty much when flintlocks were a thing and they used single handed basket hilted sabers rather than claymores :) Thank you to all the suggestions so far though!

Davidian
05-02-2014, 14:03
I do like the idea of him having impressive facial hair and I was thinking more of the Jacobite Highlanders

If you end up doing kit bash I recommend looking at the WFB empire outrider heads from the pistileer kit

Wayfarer2571
05-02-2014, 14:05
Are you going for the art-work style OTT Commander with a swagger stick, heroic cape, impressive facial hair, small mascot/pet a hundred or so adjutants and so many medals they are effectively encased in terminator armour or something a little more toned down?

The facial hair must be a thing! I did see the forge world cadian commander and he looks very good with his simple mustache, but other than that, I like the simple things to be honest :)

Wayfarer2571
05-02-2014, 14:13
If you end up doing kit bash I recommend looking at the WFB empire outrider heads from the pistileer kit

Not a bad idea, actually! I can file down the helmets a bit and chuck a empty helmet on it. I was thinking about using some of the Marauder heads for my veterans too

Chem-Dog
05-02-2014, 16:39
OK, so a relatively low key commander with proper manly face fungus....

The Officer model that comes with the baneblade kit has a basket sabre/rapier, so he might be worth trying to source (the body and head make him an ideal Commissar if you're not into using him as the basis of your commander).

For beards/'taches I'd look to the greatswords.

lordbeefy
05-02-2014, 16:50
Have a look at the forge world cadian commander. Nice model and good face flufff!

Wayfarer2571
05-02-2014, 17:54
OK, so a relatively low key commander with proper manly face fungus....

The Officer model that comes with the baneblade kit has a basket sabre/rapier, so he might be worth trying to source (the body and head make him an ideal Commissar if you're not into using him as the basis of your commander).

For beards/'taches I'd look to the greatswords.

That sounds like a plan to me! Now, all I need to do is reluctantly buy a Baneblade or source the commander body of it and the sword arm and I found the perfect Greatswords head for what I'm after too.

Have a look at the forge world cadian commander. Nice model and good face flufff!

He does look epic and I really considered it, however it'd be a shame to cut him at the waist and shove a kilt on him. Especially if I muck it up.

Chem-Dog
05-02-2014, 19:41
That sounds like a plan to me! Now, all I need to do is reluctantly buy a Baneblade or source the commander body of it and the sword arm and I found the perfect Greatswords head for what I'm after too.

Had a quick look on Ebay, at least three on there at this moment, none particularly pricey either.

And don't be too reluctant about buying the Superheavy, it's sexy as hell (as far as tanks go).

He does look epic and I really considered it, however it'd be a shame to cut him at the waist and shove a kilt on him. Especially if I muck it up.

An officer doesn't necessarily have to wear the exact same uniform as his men, this was certainly the case in the period you're drawing your aesthetic from and is definitely a tradition 40K runs with.
It could be that the Officer's storm coat obscures his kilt, if you're feeling adventurous you could file down the detail on the front of the coat to turn it into a longer kilt (is that even a thing?) make the size of your kilt equal to the level of authority you carry. :D

Regarding the Cadian Officer by Forgeworld, I personally prefer the Hostile Environment version, the pose is more impressive, slap a quick Greatsword headswap in there and you're golden 9but if you do, pin that bad boy in place, nothing's more annoying than a senior officer who literally doesn't know where he left his head.

EDIT++

I should put in a mention for the Stock Cadian Commander (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod990064a) model too, Equally receptive to a head-swap, patrician pose and a basket hilted sword all in one bargain bundle. Arguably one of GW's finest models ever.

Wayfarer2571
05-02-2014, 20:07
Alright! So I went to my local GW today for glue and picked up a command squad and made my first kilted model. Have a wee look.

Wayfarer2571
05-02-2014, 21:17
Had a quick look on Ebay, at least three on there at this moment, none particularly pricey either.

And don't be too reluctant about buying the Superheavy, it's sexy as hell (as far as tanks go).

An officer doesn't necessarily have to wear the exact same uniform as his men, this was certainly the case in the period you're drawing your aesthetic from and is definitely a tradition 40K runs with.
It could be that the Officer's storm coat obscures his kilt, if you're feeling adventurous you could file down the detail on the front of the coat to turn it into a longer kilt (is that even a thing?) make the size of your kilt equal to the level of authority you carry. :D

Regarding the Cadian Officer by Forgeworld, I personally prefer the Hostile Environment version, the pose is more impressive, slap a quick Greatsword headswap in there and you're golden 9but if you do, pin that bad boy in place, nothing's more annoying than a senior officer who literally doesn't know where he left his head.

EDIT++

I should put in a mention for the Stock Cadian Commander (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod990064a) model too, Equally receptive to a head-swap, patrician pose and a basket hilted sword all in one bargain bundle. Arguably one of GW's finest models ever.

The Stock Cadian would look nice, aye. I may see about nabbing one at some point. As for the kilts themselves, they start at the belly button and go down to their knees and are either 6 or 9 yards long. Sometimes the width is doubled to form great kilts like the kind you'd see in Rob Roy and Braveheart so you can do things like drape the extra over your shoulder, use it as an improvised blanket/cloak to keep warm and what not. It's handy being Scottish :P I'll think of something with the commander model, so far the wee one I made will do for now whilst I slowly pick things up.

Wayfarer2571
06-02-2014, 01:45
Full Command Squad! All kilted out and ready to cause mayhem.

ntw3001
06-02-2014, 02:30
As for the kilts themselves, they start at the belly button and go down to their knees and are either 6 or 9 yards long.

Scottish people must be enormous. Hadrian's Wall can't have been too much of an obstacle.

Wayfarer2571
06-02-2014, 12:30
Scottish people must be enormous. Hadrian's Wall can't have been too much of an obstacle.
The belly button to knee is the width. They are made 6 or 9 yards so they can be doubled up and then have the pleats folded into them, so it ends up being about 3 yards long and very cosy :P