PDA

View Full Version : Medieval/Blackpowder era Imperial Planets/Cultures

Rufiodies
01-02-2014, 20:33
I was wondering if there's any info about Imperial planets or military forces, maybe pdf, that have blackpowder or medieval era technology. Maybe upgraded with some 40k technomagic, or of any forces like this that would possibly fight with other more standard imperial forces?
I wanted to make a low tech 40k army, but I need some fluff/background first

agurus1
01-02-2014, 21:11
hmmm they would only operate at that tech level if they were the planets PDF. Once they became Imperial Guard the majority of their equipment would be streamlined into the Guard system (so lasgun instead of flintlocks that kind of thing), but probably retain much of their original iconography and various types of kit/specialties. For instance the nobility from a Medieval type world might form a core of heavy cavalry for the Imperial Guard regiment for each founding. Maybe their units rely more on chain-mail and plate armour than Flak or Carapace.

As for the PDF, indeed they would be equipped to the standards of that particular planets abilities/tech levels which would probably be moderately helped by some Techpriests. For instance, the Governors/Kings best units might have hotshot lascarbines instead of the regular PDF troopers blackpowder weapons. Or the techpriests might help create steampunkish tanks/fortifications to help defend the planent... I'm thinking primitive mortars ect... almost for certain the Imperial would want some surface to Orbit capable defenses, and some anti-spaceship orbital platforms too.

Small additions of 40k technomagic to the pdf might be refractor fields for officers. Void shields for castles. mines. augmetic/bionic replacements for lost limbs. cherubim flying about. vox-casters for specially trained personnel. and maybe lowtech versions of flamers/grenade launchers.

Inquisitor Aaron
02-02-2014, 01:52
I don't have much info on black powder troops in the 41st millenium but if they do come into the imperial guard I can see the "primitive" troopers eschewing their match locks for las-locks.

The imperium has a hard time providing specific ammo types used in the field bar astartes or special circumstances. They will replace the weapons used by the primitive troops with more advanced ones to lessen this burden.

They can however carry the rest of their equipment to the front. Be it mail or plate armor.

Polaria
02-02-2014, 06:03
I don't have much info on black powder troops in the 41st millenium but if they do come into the imperial guard I can see the "primitive" troopers eschewing their match locks for las-locks.

Thats why las-locks were invented :)

The imperium has a hard time providing specific ammo types used in the field bar astartes or special circumstances. They will replace the weapons used by the primitive troops with more advanced ones to lessen this burden.

They can however carry the rest of their equipment to the front. Be it mail or plate armor.

I'd say it depends on how the units are used. Historically even in WW II some infantry units have been sent to war with laughably small amounts of ammunition by todays standards: 20 rounds per man for a bolt action rifle. These units were not used as a front-line, first wave infantry, though. They were police and guard units in the rear, fighting the type of warfare most units in recent Iraq and Afghanistan fight. If you have a regiment of matchlock musketeers with steel breastplates, swords, steel helmest and 50 shots of gunpowder and lead balls for each you can easily use them for guarding and police duties for weeks, months or even years (depending on level of hostilities) without them running out of ammo. Of course, by the time they do, you should probably have requisitioned some las-locks or even real lasguns from the Munitorium to replace the matchlocks. Everything else can stay the same. On the other hand, if you are expecting to send the musketeers to the front-line against Tyranids or Necrons you would probably requisition lasguns and flak armour for them with all due haste, lest they become martyrs to Imperium all.

Griefbringer
02-02-2014, 08:54
Original Rogue Trader rulebook contains some material about primitive or medieval planets where crossbows and muskets are in common use. One of these places was called Birmingham, AKA the Black Planet, which is so covered by clouds of smoke that nobody wants to go there.

Necromunda mostly featured standard Imperial tech level firearms, but there was also a possibility for gangs to have some less advanced firepower - especially Ratskins seem to have commonly used these.

But as said, any such primitive weapons would be for local use only - troops taken into IG and sent off-world would be given standard las-armament.

nedius
02-02-2014, 10:37
In the old 'Deathwing' short story collection, there was a story set on a medieval world.

The main character was a boy who was a psyche, terrified that he'd be found out and burnt as a witch. His society was aware of the Imperium, and had a very vague grasp that they lived in the stars and arrived on ships, but were generally viewed as being magical/angels of the Emperor with special powers. There was no mention of a planetary pdf, although that doesn't mean there was none. The story ended with the boy being found and rescued by an Inquisitor, after the boy was attacked by a deamon who tried to persuade him to fall to chaos and he resisted - thus was not killed, but taken to be trained/tested for integration into the Imperium properly.

The implication I remember was that on this world, although the Imperium owned it, they did not maintain a permanent presence on the planet - they simply arrived from time to time to collect the tithe.

This system was also reflected in the main Deathwing story. The terminators of the Deathwing arrived on their recruiting planet, a world entirely populated by native American style peoples who lived nomadic, tribal lifestyles, found it an industrialised hive world ruled by a genestealer cult. The implication was the cult had taken over as there was no Imperial presence to stop them - only when the Deathwing arrived, having been away for hundreds of years, on a recruiting mission, was the situation discovered.

So, in older fluff at least, the primitive culture planets are all but left to themselves. Which is understandable. If the world had a resource of particular value, it would have been properly and industrially colonised. It's likely those worlds that are in a primitive state are either too remote, too Spartan in terms of useful resources, that they are more or less ignored, and Imperial resources directed to worlds considered more valuable.

Griefbringer
02-02-2014, 10:43
So, in older fluff at least, the primitive culture planets are all but left to themselves. Which is understandable. If the world had a resource of particular value, it would have been properly and industrially colonised. It's likely those worlds that are in a primitive state are either too remote, too Spartan in terms of useful resources, that they are more or less ignored, and Imperial resources directed to worlds considered more valuable.

Actually, many of the primitive worlds have one resource that the Imperium appreciates - their inhabitants can make good recruits for astartes or guard.

Lord-Gen Bale Chambers
02-02-2014, 13:03
The 40k RPGs from fantasy flight had a few adventures on medieval worlds. Acrage is an example of a world with tech post renaissance (muskets, cannons). The imperium maintains a single small port city to collect tithes. There really is no PDF mentioned. Its not mentioned, but highly possible that an orbital station of some sort and possibly a few defense monitor ships could be in space to deflect any small scale would be raiders.

In order for these worlds to exist (with or without the Imperium), they should be in relatively safe and peaceful areas of space. Otherwise i would think more resources and a higher tech base would be needed to properly maintain a border or contested region of space. I am not saying they never get invaded, raided or infiltrated, but it would be rare compared to other regions. That is my opinion.

The RPGs also have a weapon/armour attribute called primitive to deal with adventures in these areas. Basically if your weapon is primitive, but your targets armour is not, the armour value is doubled. This is true in the other direction too, if your armour is primitive, but your opponents weapon is not, you half the armour value of your armour. It balances primitive weapons and armour against each other while clearly making the technical wonders of the imperium and xenos much better.

breadbin
02-02-2014, 14:46
As mentioned by Griefbringer, Necromunda had rules for blunderbusses, muskets and hand bows. These were available to Skavvies (under-city dwellers & mutants) and Ratskin Renegades (Native American inspired gangs). The rules for the weapons were 2nd ed 40k.

If you wanted to create a low tech army, you could go for a Ratskin uprising (the army could even include psykers, as Ratskin Shamans had "spirit powers"). Necromunda also had rules for a named Ratskin special character: Brakar The Avenger.

Your other option would be the army of a Feudal World. The 3rd edition rulebook had an image of a medieval looking chap standing in front of a castle next to the Feudal World description.

Langdon
02-02-2014, 15:33
Original Rogue Trader rulebook contains some material about primitive or medieval planets where crossbows and muskets are in common use. One of these places was called Birmingham, AKA the Black Planet, which is so covered by clouds of smoke that nobody wants to go there.

I miss the age of GW where being mean to the Brummies was accpeted :P

This thread has inspired me to try and make a guard unit mixing empire and IG stuff..