PDA

View Full Version : Ebay buyer scam. Beware!!!!

Lordcypress
02-02-2014, 08:28
Just thought I would inform our membership here that do sell warhammer on ebay to really start protecting yourself from "Buyer Scam Artists". Just recently I sold a fairly large Deamons of Chaos army on ebay. I packaged the whole army up with Duct Tape and Hockey Tape. A couple of weeks later I got a message from ebay stating that the buyer has put a claim against me for "item not matching description". I first thought ok ya their was the odd 5th edition Bloodletter thrown in but not enough to warrant a full blown claim. Then I read the buyer's message. They claim that when they opened the package that all that was inside was old books. Now this made me angry. For one I personally packed and sealed the living hell out of that box and marked fragile toy models all over the damn thing.

So after another 3 weeks of ebay looking into the matter they asked the seller to go down to their local police station and file an incident report. The buyer had 10 days to do this. Luckily for me the buyer waited until day 11 to file the report. This automatically broke ebay policy and the ruled in favour of me. Now if this didn't I would have been screwed out of an army and any form of compensation except for the $100 insurance I put on the package at the post office.

Lesson learned here. Always insure the crap out of whatever you are sending if it has any significant value. And go one step further and video tape you personally packaging the parcel up and delivering it to the post office. Even pictures of the originally wrapped parcel and how you wrapped it might be enough.

Soulless
02-02-2014, 08:48
And i thought such things only happen in Poland :D

Ludaman
02-02-2014, 09:36
Thanks for the advice, I buy a lot on eBay but I'm planning on selling some excess plastics soon, thanks for the tip.

Wesser
02-02-2014, 09:59
Crap like this is why I never e-bay..ever

Tato
02-02-2014, 10:50
And i thought such things only happen in Poland :D

And that meant what, exactly? I am from Poland, I buy and sell over Ebay and I have a 100% ratio of positive comments. Care to elaborate on this steteotyped comment of yours?

BigbyWolf
02-02-2014, 10:53
Crap like this is why I never e-bay..ever

Well, it's subjective. I've used eBay for years and my only issue has been one of my own making (I sold a PC game that I had already got registered to myself, not realising that this stopped the buyer using it). Never had anyone try to pull a con-job.

BramGaunt
02-02-2014, 11:40
And that meant what, exactly? I am from Poland, I buy and sell over Ebay and I have a 100% ratio of positive comments. Care to elaborate on this steteotyped comment of yours?

He's from poland to, so it's selfirony, don't be to harsh on him. It is a stereotype, just as it would be if someone suggested I must like Bratwurst and Sauerkraut, and have Lederhosen, because I'm from germany.

On that note, I do like Bratwurst und Sauerkraut, and I do have Lederhosen. Hmmm...

On the subject: If you are sending anything of worth, have a friend testify when you pack and send them, insure the contents and have your post office check what's inside.

Also, even if he claimed that you send old books only, I don't think he'd have a strong case against you. Since it would be testimony vs testimony, it should rule in favor of the defendant.

BigbyWolf
02-02-2014, 11:44
He's from poland to, so it's selfirony, don't be to harsh on him. It is a stereotype, just as it would be if someone suggested I must like Bratwurst and Sauerkraut, and have Lederhosen, because I'm from germany.

On that note, I do like Bratwurst und Sauerkraut, and I do have Lederhosen. Hmmm...

That's a rather strong statement to make.

I think you'd have to post a picture of yourself in Lederhosen eating Bratwurst and Sauerkraut, just to prove it...:shifty:

Urgat
02-02-2014, 12:08
I never sell big packages on ebay. If for some reason I had to sell my goblins, I'd sell it unit by unit. Wouldn't prevent any form of scam, but there would be no big disaster at least.

Ramius4
02-02-2014, 13:11
That's a rather strong statement to make.

I think you'd have to post a picture of yourself in Lederhosen eating Bratwurst and Sauerkraut, just to prove it...:shifty:

I'm going to have to agree. Pics or it didn't happen :p

Evil_D185
02-02-2014, 14:19
Well sorry you had to realize it this way but noting new, that's Ebay for you and has been since they made private sellers to business sellers! Do not understand what I mean then at last read their Terms and conditions. YOU WILL BE SHOCKED!

Sorry but insuring your package, which you should do allways with ebay otherwise people can just claim not arrived will not help in such a case!
Because for the company delivering it the package will be marked as deliverd and signed for by the recipeient. So no refund from the insurance for that! Insureanc is only for damaged or lost.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
02-02-2014, 16:36
He's from poland to, so it's selfirony, don't be to harsh on him.

I think Tato was stereotyping him to be an ignorant American! Now I'm offended! :skull: Just kidding, my ignorance is matched only by my arrogance, being American and all...

On Topic: thanks a lot for sharing this. I am about to be selling ~$4000 worth of old minis and may be doing some big lots to expedite the process.

Evil_D185
02-02-2014, 17:00
I think Tato was stereotyping him to be an ignorant American! Now I'm offended! :skull: Just kidding, my ignorance is matched only by my arrogance, being American and all...

You forgot Warmongering ;-)

Montegue
02-02-2014, 17:16
It strikes me that a receipt showing the weight of the package you sent out would be more than enough to show that they were lying. Though, perhaps taking boxing photos or a video would help?

Lordcypress
02-02-2014, 17:53
@Montegue,

I did phone ebay resolution center directly and provided them with the packaging weight. They simply noted it down. But in the end I was informed that ebay 9 times out of 10 sides with the buyer. I was told that anyone willing to go down to the police station and provide an incident report is taking a risk on themselves if ever they were caught lying. So in my situation I was told by the resolution center that it was only a policy loop hole that ebay ruled in my favor because the buyer didn't provide the police incident report to them in the allowable 10 days. Thus the case was automatically closed in my favor.

I just recently watched a youtube video from a guy and he talks about how to protect yourself as a seller. He has started video taping and photographing all his major sold items. He'll even pack a note inside the package explaining to the buyer that he has recorded the entire packaging process and delivery to the post office in order to protect himself from buyer scams. In the future if I ever sell another army I am going to do the exact same thing. I know it sounds extreme but Ebay doesn't protect sellers very well. That's why if you ever go and check out the independent reviews of the top ten auction sites on the internet ebay doesn't rank very high. They only receive positive feed back from the buyers and negative from their sellers.

3eland
02-02-2014, 18:01
I always take pictures and video tape while I package my items, from the empty box I pick up to the full box with address written on top. Then I scan my receipts from the Post Office. I had a guy try this and supplied the claim with all my pictures and the scans of my receipts, he closed the claim the very same day. You just have to be prepared for the worst.

I just noticed your last post about a guy that does the same as me lol.

SteveW
02-02-2014, 19:23
I've been on the other end of this. I purchased a copy of bloodbowl back in 1999-2001 and got a box of rocks. This was back when Ebay had no type of buyer/seller protection so I was just out my $50.

Happy this worked out for you but those are the dangers of dealing online.

Tato
03-02-2014, 00:16
He's from poland to, so it's selfirony, don't be to harsh on him. I

The disatvantages of reading Warseer via Tapatalk. Sorry.

On the subject: some accidents are pure bad luck and nobody's fault. I ordered once a jacket from the US and never recieved it. I claimed return via paypal, sender had no proof of postage. 3 days after reimbursment to my paypal account the jacket arrived... I payed the poor guy who was ruled guilty by paypal, again for the jacket. I find that s..t happens more often than it's somebody's bad will and wrongdoing.

Captain Cortez
03-02-2014, 02:32
I've been on EBay since 1998. Buyer and seller. To be honest Ebay has been real crappy to sellers now and its true 9-10 times they will side with the buyer. Sadly there are some real scumbags out there who take advantage of this. Never ship to Italy, South America and some parts of Europe I won't say, unless you ship Express mail. But yes always have back up pictures and especially selling electronics.

SpanielBear
03-02-2014, 03:31
Caveat Vendor, Cave Emptor...

Evil Hypnotist
03-02-2014, 09:54
But in the end I was informed that ebay 9 times out of 10 sides with the buyer....

.... I know it sounds extreme but Ebay doesn't protect sellers very well..

Agreed, my parent's sell with their buisness on eBay and they were shocked how little support they got when they were first involved with an unhappy buyer. They dealt with the issue and the buyer wanted to change their feedback to positive but couldn't find out how. eBay won't help them or the buyer to do this and, as a result, my parent's have negative feedback they don't deserve. Such is the way with eBay.

Harwammer
04-02-2014, 16:08
Why on earth would anyone think it is a good idea to scam someone who has a copy of your postal address? Or at least a postal address you access.

Crazy.

I'm glad the ruling was made in your favour (assuming some kind of tzeentchian transmogrification didn't occur).

InstantKarma
04-02-2014, 18:28
Nice to know. I've been avoiding ebay mostly because up until now I haven't had a reason to explore the bitz market there. The sellers I've seen have good ratings, but I'd been considering trying to sell some of mine that I won't be using.