PDA

View Full Version : Just saw GW's new Dwarf One-Click Collections (and their prices)

Fieos
03-02-2014, 14:59
*Edit*

(No idea why this posted three times and if I edit one; all three are edited)

Basically stated in this post that after seeing GW's one-click purchases that Mantic will sell a lot of models due to the high GW pricing.

SteveW
03-02-2014, 15:00
I just saw a thread made by Dee da dee.

thesoundofmusica
03-02-2014, 15:05
I dont think GW are too worried. I think both the hammerers and longbeards are great models. That alot of people would pick up the new dwarf book only to start a really ugly mantic dwarf army.... I dont see it.

That said I think their one-click deals are laughable and I sure hope there wont be a slayer plastic box coming up next month or so the way they are plugging slayers right now. That would be a low blow.

Fieos
03-02-2014, 15:18
At our LGS no one is starting Fantasy armies due to the price/model count. Our long-standing Fantasy league has dwindled to just a handful of players as we have literally zero new players picking up the game. It is pretty frustrating; honestly we would have fewer people if it weren't for Mantic providing reasonable alternatives at a significantly reduced cost. GW may have superior models in most regards; but brand loyalty generally doesn't stand up to 66%-75% cost savings from a viable competitor. You can buy a used car for less than you can build a 2500 point GW Fantasy army these days.

Ramius4
03-02-2014, 15:23
So basically this is a price complaint thread. Prepare to be closed.

Gradek
03-02-2014, 15:25
At our LGS no one is starting Fantasy armies due to the price/model count. Our long-standing Fantasy league has dwindled to just a handful of players as we have literally zero new players picking up the game. It is pretty frustrating; honestly we would have fewer people if it weren't for Mantic providing reasonable alternatives at a significantly reduced cost. GW may have superior models in most regards; but brand loyalty generally doesn't stand up to 66%-75% cost savings from a viable competitor. You can buy a used car for less than you can build a 2500 point GW Fantasy army these days.

BS. People spend more on better products all the time. Why do I buy an Acura over a Kia? Why does my wife by $200 shoes or $400 bags instead of $20 ones? Quality does in fact make a huge difference, and Mantic's quality is pretty poor.

SteveW
03-02-2014, 15:27
The mantic Dwarfs are so horrible I wouldn't field them if they were given to me.

Lord Solar Plexus
03-02-2014, 15:29
Gradek, the real question is why don't you buy a Panamera? I can only recommend that drive.

With that out of the way, higher prices don't necessarily mean higher quality. That bag's probably made by the same Pakistani slave labourer as the cheaper one, just with a different label on it.

SteveW
03-02-2014, 15:30
BS. People spend more on better products all the time. Why do I buy an Acura over a Kia? Why does my wife by $200 shoes or $400 bags instead of $20 ones? Quality does in fact make a huge difference, and Mantic's quality is pretty poor.
It's funny that you made a good point then used two of the worst examples possible. Acura is a rebadged honda ****, and $20 shoes are often better than those designer $200 ones.

Karak Norn Clansman
03-02-2014, 15:39
In contrary to Fieos points, Avatars of War rather than Mantic is likely to receive a boost in sales thanks to GW's Dwarf releases. GW's new Dwarfs are very nice, but the pr*ce level has become a laughing stock.

It's funny that you made a good point then used two of the worst examples possible. Acura is a rebadged honda ****, and $20 shoes are often better than those designer $200 ones.

Agreed.

BigbyWolf
03-02-2014, 15:43
So basically this is a price complaint thread. Prepare to be closed.

Agreed, and possibly spam as well.:yes:

Fieos
03-02-2014, 15:59
Why would this thread be closed out of curiosity? Price is a significant aspect of the hobby and this is for 'General Discussion'. I'm genuinely asking...

Some people play this game for fun and are more into the game for the social aspects of playing with their friends versus collecting absurdly priced pieces of plastic/resin/metal despite the quality... Mind-blowing right?

I wish GW would ressurect Mordheim or make some equivalent for Fantasy and encourage it as a good introduction to the miniatures and the rules. Cost is a significant barrier to entry for WHFB and if it could be addressed I think it would do wonders for the hobby. Perhaps WHFB in its current state could be more of an 'Apocalypse' version. I know I'd still play it, most WHFB would; but it could get some fresh blood into the hobby.

logan054
03-02-2014, 16:18

The people who pay more for the same product tend to do it for the snop value, I shop in Aldi and iceland, I find Tescos and Sainsburys far to expensive, I brave the co-op when I only need a couple of things (but it's just so damn expensive), on the flip side I will pay more for something if it seems better quality to me, I won't spend more on something simply because it has the branding. I would happily buy the raging heroes vestals, not sure on the AoW ones, I certainly wouldn't buy the GW witch elves, Mantic release very few models I actually like, the ghouls and knights are pretty good. With my Khorne army I have converted my Chosen from skullcrushers (using the Warriors of the apoc legs), I am currently converting my standard warriors from the left over Warriors of apoc, skullcrusher and chaos warrior bits.

GW make some really great models, they also have many models which are starting to look dated, the dated stuff for me doesn't seem worth the paying that extra for simply because it carries the GW brand on it, FW make very few models I don't like. If I ever did a Dwarf army from what I've seen so far it would mainly be made from AoW models, the latest dwarf models look very nice but I am confident that AoW will produce better models, the slayers are so much better than the GW offering (and much cheaper), I love most of the metal models (I would really love to make a unit of minotaurs of the minotaur lords they have).

Montegue
03-02-2014, 16:26
The harder things get in terms of prices for he average gamer, the more the topic is going to come up. Honestly, the only way to legitimately get into 8th at this point is to shop eBay, get good at the game, and fund the models you want with prize support. I've been known to trade painting for models, but it's not ideal. I'd like to spend that time painting my stuff.

Anyone know of any 20 or 30 percent off sites for the US market?

VaeVictisGames
03-02-2014, 16:29
Mantic's website will probably crash today from all the dwarf sales...

I assume NHS Direct will crash too then from the sudden outbreak of blindness.

SteveW
03-02-2014, 16:30
The harder things get in terms of prices for he average gamer, the more the topic is going to come up. Honestly, the only way to legitimately get into 8th at this point is to shop eBay, get good at the game, and fund the models you want with prize support. I've been known to trade painting for models, but it's not ideal. I'd like to spend that time painting my stuff.

Anyone know of any 20 or 30 percent off sites for the US market?
Posts like this are funny. If a working adult can't spend a few hundred buck on a hobby, they have much bigger financial problems than hobbies.

shelfunit.
03-02-2014, 16:35
Posts like this are funny. If a working adult can't spend a few hundred buck on a hobby, they have much bigger financial problems than hobbies.

Less "can't", more "don't need to". The question you should be asking is why would people spend "a few hundred bucks" (although $500+ is more accurate) when they can get objectively the same thing for half that or less?

SteveW
03-02-2014, 16:39
Less "can't", more "don't need to". The question you should be asking is why would people spend "a few hundred bucks" (although $500+ is more accurate) when they can get objectively the same thing for half that or less?
They can get 'subjectively' the same thing for less. That subjectivity being the cheaper models are mostly garbage.

shelfunit.
03-02-2014, 16:42
They can get 'subjectively' the same thing for less. That subjectivity being the cheaper models are mostly garbage.

No, objectively - 20 models is 20 models regardless of price tag. Subjective is personal opinion on how they look - you think they look "mostly garbage", many others do not.

thesoundofmusica
03-02-2014, 16:46

I would have to agree.

For 200$ you get a 1000 point Empire army.
A gaming computer is roughly 1100$.
A Wii U around 370$.
A mini Ipad is 350$.

What expectations do you guys have?

Edit: these are local prices except the Empire army which is off GW site

SteveW
03-02-2014, 16:52
No, objectively - 20 models is 20 models regardless of price tag. Subjective is personal opinion on how they look - you think they look "mostly garbage", many others do not.
That's exactly why your claim is subjective. Those 20 models hold no intrinsic value so in this case 20 =/= 20.

Malagor
03-02-2014, 16:52
What expectations do you guys have?
1 dollar for every 1000pts is my bet.

Fieos
03-02-2014, 16:54
I've been fairly surprised by some of the responses...

I get that you are paying for quality and there are those that want that level of quality and are willing to pay for it. There is also a significant market share that doesn't pursue that level of quality or many of these other companies wouldn't exist. Different strokes for different folks..

GW would be wise to find a way to reduce their prices and/or find a way to get people's foot in the door of the hobby with a significantly lower model count rule set and then groom them as a consumer.

I think people forget that the demographic that uses the forums to discuss this hobby are not the total demographic of folks that play these ganes. Casual gamers make up a significant portion (maybe even the majority) of the hobby and are likely not as invested in the quality of miniatures for the cost. Casual gamers are speaking with their money and not their posts; supporting other, cheaper alternatives and supporting other companies. This is a lost revenue stream for GW.

People may not like the quality of other products but fans of war gaming should always have their focus on making the game more inclusive than exclusive to spread the hobby. Otherwise you'll have a pile of fancy figs and you'll just have to sit around and play with yourself.

Ramius4
03-02-2014, 16:57
Why would this thread be closed out of curiosity? Price is a significant aspect of the hobby and this is for 'General Discussion'. I'm genuinely asking..

Because price discussions are only allowed in one place on these forums (GW general). The GW "pricing feedback thread" is the only place they allow it, because there are sooooo many of these that pop up and clutter the forums with nothing but pricing rants. So yeah, as soon as a moderator notices this thread, it's going to get closed.

baransiege
03-02-2014, 17:01
After some recent issues I can't afford any of the new models which is a shame, but even if they were free I still wouldn't touch Mantic's Dwarfs with a ten foot barge pole. They have some lines which I do think are very nice but I find their Dwarfs utterly horrific. If that means I have to wait a long time to find the funds for these new models and can only end up affording a small unit of them then so be it. It's not a human rights issue to have them.

Codsticker
03-02-2014, 17:07
Because price discussions are only allowed in one place on these forums (GW general). The GW "pricing feedback thread" is the only place they allow it, because there are sooooo many of these that pop up and clutter the forums with nothing but pricing rants. So yeah, as soon as a moderator notices this thread, it's going to get closed.

Bingo! GW pricing thread here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?209297-Games-Workshop-Pricing-Feedback-Thread).

Thread closed.

Codsticker

The Warseer Mod Squad

Codsticker
03-02-2014, 17:07

Bingo! GW pricing thread here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?209297-Games-Workshop-Pricing-Feedback-Thread).

Thread closed.

Codsticker

The Warseer Mod Squad