PDA

View Full Version : Picking up a new army, can't decide which

Eddiethehott
03-02-2014, 19:00
So I ended up selling off my chaos space marines last year, and with tax return season starting I want to get back in the game with a new army. I want to start up either a Chaos Daemons or an Imperial Fists army.
Daemons seem interesting to me because they are unique, not many people play them and heir new rules seem quite good. The downside is that a lot of my friends are playing Tau and Eldar and I am afraid I won't hAve much of a chance against them.
Imperial Fists interest me because space marines are very well-rounded and I'd have a bit of uniqueness by not picking white scars or ultra marines (don't believe there is an imp fists player At the shop).
So it comes down to which would make for more fun games? Do Daemons have as big of a downside Against shooting as I think? Are marines he way to go to have a better shot against my friends? I appreciAte any helpful insights.

Sir Didymus
03-02-2014, 21:32
Rules change, models remain.

MadHatter
04-02-2014, 05:45
i think you should go with the demons, if you like the idea of them, then go with them. Once you get the feel for the rules and your opponents, you will develop tactics to take them. also use terrain to your advantage.

Grand Master Azrael
04-02-2014, 05:57
Do Imperial Fists

Eddiethehott
04-02-2014, 17:51
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I have decided on daemons. More room for customization and an assault army really is sounding like a ton of fun.
Spamming fmc also sounds like a blast. Thanks again for the insights.

gwarsh41
05-02-2014, 22:22
Daemons! Worried about getting up into CC? DEEP STRIKE LIKE YOU MEAN IT! 5th edition daemons were all about deepstriking point blank in your enemies face. 6th still lets you do that, just not as well. If your buddies are Tau and Eldar, and they play WAAC, it doesnt matter which army you choose, they will hit you just as hard. If they play for fun, casually or basically anything aside from min/max you will be OK (and daemons have some WAAC tricks up their sleeves too)

Any who, daemons are tuns of fun... if you like random ****. A lot of people don't like the warpstorm, or instability, or random wargear, and daemons have all of that. Drop an ML3 nurgle GUO behind your enemy lines and pop off the 12" nova power that forces toughness tests or death. Watch an entire supporting fire tau army melt!

Daemons are really fun, glad to hear you are starting them.

Eddiethehott
06-02-2014, 02:32
Thanks for the reply gwarsh! I will probably start with a flying circus type build as it is the cheapest. Then work my way up there. Also since I found a pretty decent stand in for a lord of change/kairos in an old d&d mini I have.

Shiodome
06-02-2014, 22:36
i recently started daemons and found you can get the infantry pretty cheap on ebay. especially from fantasy players selling armies where troops are typically sold in blocks of 30 or similar. as long as you don't mind rebasing them.... from making the decision to go daemons to now (2 weeks) i've somehow ended up with 2,500pts+ for a lot less than it'd cost to start most armies, and that's with only 1 MC.

Eddiethehott
07-02-2014, 00:59
That's a good tip shiodome! I'll have to keep my eyes out for some Plaguebearers to sit on objectives.

Charistoph
07-02-2014, 17:50
Only the most anal-retentive types would complain about square bases. It's not like they didn't come with them after all...

Eddiethehott
07-02-2014, 19:53
Yeah I will more than likely keep them on squares seeing As I can double it as a fantasy army. Really won't make much of a difference on the table top.

Zywus
07-02-2014, 20:26
Yeah I will more than likely keep them on squares seeing As I can double it as a fantasy army. Really won't make much of a difference on the table top.
It looks very wierd to mix squared and round bases in 40k though. It's mostly aesthetic of course but i've never liked the look personally.

I would reccomend placing them on round bases and then buy (or make your own) movingtrays with holes.
Like these:
http://www.back2base-ix.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=90

Eddiethehott
08-02-2014, 07:23
That's pretty handy. Thanks for the link!