PDA

View Full Version : LRC as a transport

Marlzey
04-02-2014, 15:22
Am I really right in thinking that there is no way to put more than one squad in there? I saw carrying capacity 16 and thought to myself, 'oh right, a tactical squad, a command squad and an IC." but really if u dont cram it full of termies or a big bag of IC's ur gonna be leaving spaces right? I cant even see the possibility of putting a tac squad that has been combat squadded in there, so u cant get 2 independently operating units in there by any means? despite having 10 spare spaces when ur command squad and IC are in there? so the space marines arent organised enough to make use of this rhino sized space in the land raider that happens to be going to the same place and getting there quicker and safer? 'drive on chronus, no room for the likes of those tactical marines, ...i dont care if they have got their thumbs out! they can jolly well walk.'
Have I read this right is all I wanna know? oh, and is anyone else disappointed too?

The Emperor
04-02-2014, 15:30
Only one squad. Remember, it was originally designed for Black Templars, who could and still can take squads in excess of 10 men.

WLBjork
04-02-2014, 15:55
Aye. Space Wolf Blood Claws can also make good use of it...

The Emperor
04-02-2014, 15:58
Aye. Space Wolf Blood Claws can also make good use of it...

Yeah, that was my first thought when I saw it. "Wow, this would be awesome for transporting a maxed out squad of Blood Claws."

And regarding the subject of Combat Squads in a single transport...

In an exception to the normal rules, two combat squads split from the same unit can embark in the same transport vehicle, providing its Transport Capacity allows. Once you have decided whether or not to split a unit into combat squads, it must remain that way for the entire battle. It cannot split up or join back together later on in the battle, nor can you use a redeployment to split up a unit or join it back together.

Charistoph
04-02-2014, 15:59
Only one squad. Remember, it was originally designed for Black Templars, who could and still can take squads in excess of 10 men.

Yeup, this is the reason. And even then, it's still too small.

Keep in mind, that room becomes REALLY handy when carting around Centurions or Terminators, as well.

A.T.
04-02-2014, 16:01
Have I read this right is all I wanna know? oh, and is anyone else disappointed too?16 spaces = 8 terminators.

As mentioned it's patron chapter tended to throw pretty large squads together - Helbrechts old command squad was 16 models strong even before joined by a chaplain and his retinue of cenobytes.

ninjaed :(
Incidentally I do miss the crusaders old ability to move 12" and still fire the hurricane bolters, gave it a little extra edge it lacks these days.

Mandragola
04-02-2014, 17:11
I'd quite like to put 5 assault centurions in one of these, maybe with a chaplain. I'm thinking white scars with khan, so they can scout forward, deploy first turn and fire all those hurricane bolters and flamers at something. I think that would be pretty harsh.

Horus38
04-02-2014, 17:17
Large squads of Terminators or Centurions with independent characters attached (who may also be wearing terminator armor) make good use of this extra space! :)

Camman1984
04-02-2014, 18:03
Its always annoyed me that you cant attach an IC to a full tactical squad in rhino, i think it should be 11 spaces in there, or 12 like the old drop pod.

Wakerofgods
04-02-2014, 18:27
N00b here, but could you theoretically attach 6 characters to a tactical squad?

Charistoph
04-02-2014, 19:02

Only in a double Eternal War FOC or a PlanetStrike FOC. Currently, only 4 ICs can be purchased for Codex: Space Marines for the standard list (2 Chapter Masters/Captains/Librarians/Chaplains/Masters of the Forge and 2 Techmarines), and Allies cannot mount Transports.

Horus38
04-02-2014, 19:03

Sure can. Hell, you can even attach 6 independent characters to each other and form their own super friends squad! :p

Edit: as Charistoph says there are some limits on how many independent characters you can squeeze in due to list restrictions, but I was referencing it as a stand alone rule.

Ruination Drinker
04-02-2014, 19:56
An LRC is best used as a mobile squash court for 5 CCW Scouts. They can also get some band practice in if they are late to the fight.

Gingerwerewolf
04-02-2014, 23:48

Blood Angels & Flesh Tearers can attach 6 Independent Characters to an Assault Squad, and for them its kinda powerful:

HQs: Gabriel Seth & Librarian
Elites: Chaplain, Corbulo, 2 Sanguinary Priests
Troops: Assault Squad without Jump Packs and you get the Land Raider at a 35 point discount, as Blood Angels can have them as Dedicated Transports

If you wanted to go to town and spend all the points, you could swap the Assault Squad for a Death Company... and then get Lemartes in there as well.

But with Librarians casting Divination or from the Blood Angel Powers: Unleash Rage / Might of Heros, depending upon which stacks best with the Litanies of Hate from the Chaplain, and the Furious Charge from the Sang Priests, with all of them getting a 5+ Feel No Pain, you have a pretty stompy CC unit, all charging from an assault vehicle with Frag Launchers

Camman1984
05-02-2014, 06:42
I have seen almost that exact blood angel unit on the table before, all with jump packs rather than a raider though. My friend was a bit green and wanted to show off his melee deathstar of doom.

They deepstriked in to hunt down my juicy hq unit, the one flanked by two vindicators. Two shots, two hits and it was all over for the blood angels. A fun memory for my now retired imperial fists.

Gingerwerewolf
05-02-2014, 08:31
I think thats why the Landraider is a better option. With Jump Packs you stand around for a turn with a big sign saying Shoot me!