PDA

View Full Version : Marine questions

TheBearminator
04-02-2014, 15:24
I played salamanders like ten years ago. But I never dug into their fluff, not any chapter. Today the only marine player around plays space wolves. But now I have a few questions regarding BA and DA. Fluffwise, and if you'd care to schematically describe the game interpretation.

What is the black rage?

And what is smite?

superdupermatt
04-02-2014, 17:13
" All of the Chapters derived from the Blood Angels still suffer from the psychic imprint left by Sanguinius's death. This can cause them to go insane prior to or during a battle, and they believe that they are Sanguinius himself during the Battle of Terra. The condition is irrecovable (except for one case,*Chaplain*Lemartes, who is largely able to control it), and victims are locked away in the "Tower of the Lost" on the Blood Angels' homeworld until they finally die. This insanity is known as the*Black Rage.

When a Space Marine is overcome by the Black Rage he is reborn in a world of anger, hatred, fury and nothing else. As well as Sanguinius’s memories, the Blood Angel is touched with a small portion of his unearthly power, boosting his strength and vitality to superhuman levels.

Rather than face a slow, insane death, Blood Angels will form those who have newly succumbed to the Black Rage into a special unit known as the*Death Company. They paint their armour black, daubed with red crosses, signifying the wounds of Sanguinius, and are usually led by the few Chapter officers, notably*Chaplains, who are able to communicate orders to these lost warriors. They are then sent out to perform the most dangerous assaults, hoping for a quick and honourable death in combat." Lexicanum.

Game wise, it confers rage, giving an additional attack on the charge, and an increase in weapon skill.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

TheBearminator
04-02-2014, 17:40
Thanks! That's exactly what I was after. :)

TheBearminator
04-02-2014, 17:56
Shadows of the warp post.

Born Again
05-02-2014, 07:23
And what is smite?

If you're referring to what I think you are, Smite is a psychic power. It traces all the way back to 2nd edition IIRC (from the Dark Millenium supplement), and got tied in specifically with Space Marines when it was a Librarian's power from the 3rd edition BRB. It's currently the Primaris Power for the Biomancy discipline.

Superdupermatt got the Black Rage spot on, but I'll just point out not to make the common mistake of thinking the Black Rage and the Red Thirst are the same thing. The Red Thirst is a more general blood-thirst that affects the Blood Angels and their successors that can cause them to go on violent rampages in battle. Unlike the Black Rage, however, they don't suffer from the hallucination that they are their Primarch. The only Blood Angel to ever master the Red Thirst and regain full control of himself is Mephiston.

TheBearminator
05-02-2014, 18:47
Ah, then I have it all. Thinks for your time! :)