PDA

View Full Version : Games Day UK / Warhammer Fest 2014

Mephisto Dragonbane
05-02-2014, 13:39
Does anyone know the date for this event?

shelfunit.
05-02-2014, 13:45
Does anyone know the date for this event?

Has it not been rumoured that Games Day would no longer exist?

Herzlos
05-02-2014, 13:47
It's usually the last Sunday in September (IIRC), but I don't think it's normally announced until about May or June.

There's a risk there won't be one this year, after the dismal attendance last year and the fact they've cancelled the other games days, but since this is their main one, it might still be on in some capacity (Golden Demon and sales, I presume).

MiyamatoMusashi
05-02-2014, 14:26
It's (almost?) always the last Sunday in September, but I've heard it won't happen this year. Have to wait and see I guess.

The_Real_Chris
05-02-2014, 14:29
I thought it was just 'day' now they axed the games?

Herzlos
05-02-2014, 15:10
There were no games last year, and almost no Golden Demons. Maybe they'll come up with something fantastic though and turn it into a proper day out instead of an expensive retail experience though.

winterdyne
05-02-2014, 15:42
For the first time ever I'm going to Salute this year.
My trip to GDUK last year was only redeemed by the out-of-show painters' meal. The show itself felt like a chore and neither my wife nor myself enjoyed it. I will still probably go (consistently getting at least finalist pins is always good for a commission painter), but only as a 'work' thing. I used to look forward to it.

I have no hope that they'll improve it. That would require up-front investment in the event, and (I think more importantly) writing it off as a 'for-profit' event and instead using it as a springboard for follow-on sales as a result of fan enthusiasm. Not gonna happen.

Edit: And yes, usually the last Sunday in September.

shelfunit.
05-02-2014, 16:09
For the first time ever I'm going to Salute this year.

Are you going to be entering the painting contest?

winterdyne
05-02-2014, 16:21
Yeah, not particularly seriously, but I should have some competition grade stuff done by then.

warhammergrimace
05-02-2014, 22:00
@winterdyne I'll be at Salute this year on the Hasslefree stand

AsleepByDay
06-02-2014, 15:18
I'll be at salute also, though not at a particular stand.

I spoke to my local gw manager and he told me the changes to gamesday were for the following reasons:
No model: lack of people claiming the models
No things to do: people complained that they had to wait a long time do these things so they have been moved to other events such as bl weekend
large sales area: an attempt to fend off the queues seen at other games days, in fairness this does seem good in and of its self.
Smaller venue + smaller number of places: attempt to reduce queues

Apparently the whole thing was a move back to the older gamesday were it was mostly just a thing people who lacked a lock gw store could go to and buy gw products once a year. Apparently this was made clear in the advertising. This fits with the whole hobby = buying gw products idea gw seem to have.

From this when reading about next years games day I think you assume that only things explicitly listed as being there will be there.

shelfunit.
06-02-2014, 15:31
I spoke to my local gw manager and he told me the changes to gamesday were for the following reasons:

:confused: Those are some very strange responses.

MiyamatoMusashi
06-02-2014, 15:33
Apparently this was made clear in the advertising.

"Games Day" implies games are involved.

winterdyne
06-02-2014, 16:07

No things to do: people complained that they had to wait a long time do these things so they have been moved to other events such as bl weekend
large sales area: an attempt to fend off the queues seen at other games days, in fairness this does seem good in and of its self.

Apparently the whole thing was a move back to the older gamesday were it was mostly just a thing people who lacked a lock gw store could go to and buy gw products once a year. Apparently this was made clear in the advertising. This fits with the whole hobby = buying gw products idea gw seem to have.

From this when reading about next years games day I think you assume that only things explicitly listed as being there will be there.

As someone that went to those old gamesdays, your manager is telling you what we colloquially call 'a load of old ********'.

Bring 'n' battle.
Participation games.
Free minis chucked off the factory machine.
Limited edition mini included with the ticket. Freebie bundle at the door (usually just the programme and a bookmark or something).
DISCOUNTS ON THE DAY.
And much, much more is missing.

Herzlos
06-02-2014, 18:23
Exactly. The reason no-one bought last years model was that it was 1. Finecast. 2. Completely useless in game. 3. For Fantasy. 4. Hugely expensive.

They seemed to have plenty left over from the previous year as well, as despite being an iconic 40K figure (the cover sergeant from 2nd Ed) points 1 and 2 above still stood.

When a couple of years ago they'd have been included in the (expensive) ticket.

IJW
06-02-2014, 19:19
Apparently the whole thing was a move back to the older gamesday were it was mostly just a thing people who lacked a lock gw store could go to and buy gw products once a year.

This bit in particular makes no sense at all because that's not what Games Days ever were, especially as large numbers of attendees right back to the Eighties were bussed there on coaches organised by the more distant stores...

Herzlos
07-02-2014, 07:13
It's also pretty much what the mail order was for

MarcoSkoll
07-02-2014, 10:32
Apparently the whole thing was a move back to the older gamesday were it was mostly just a thing people who lacked a lock gw store could go to and buy gw products once a year.
Just more proof that GW believe "the internet" is a piece of fishing equipment.

Nogginthenog
07-02-2014, 11:14
I remember the old gamesdays, went to a few.

Having to scream a waaagh! before you could go in, each store organising a coach for its regulars, take your own army to play a game, model assembly and speed painting competitions (all materials provided free), walk up and play large participation games (forerunners to apocalypse in size and idea), stores competed to make the best tables, I can't remember if it was Shadow of the Horned Rat or Final Liberation now, but it was at a Games Day I played one of those, my first ever go on a GW computer game. My only recollection of the retail part is that I bought some IG tanks at a discount, 3 for the price of 2 or similar.

In other words, nothing like the GW employee claimed. In fact, the exact opposite.

williamsond
07-02-2014, 11:24
I too remember the games days (and golden demons) from twenty years ago and they were in no way just places for people to go and buy stuff, that manager was obviously never there. There was a huge amount of stuff to do, events, games to play, new stuff on demo and participation, the amount of free stuff you used to get was great, lots of extra bits and bobs and exclusive figures included in the price of the ticket.

blongbling
07-02-2014, 13:29

those responses are so random and contradictory as to be from a mad man...or a store manager

Wes1969
16-06-2014, 17:45
Seems it will be on. Local GW has had instructions regarding Armies on Parade so I can only assume that September as usual and with a date announcement and ticket sale in August. My guess is NIA again.

winterdyne
16-06-2014, 19:44
I'll be very surprised if its in any way as 'successful' as last year.

theredknight
24-06-2014, 02:26
It's usually the last Sunday in September (IIRC), but I don't think it's normally announced until about May or June.

There's a risk there won't be one this year, after the dismal attendance last year and the fact they've cancelled the other games days, but since this is their main one, it might still be on in some capacity (Golden Demon and sales, I presume).
if the uk games day was canceled it would be a very bad sign and very sad news to me. not that i attend :shifty: but it is a very important bit of the gw hobby
really hoping it will be on for many years to come

winterdyne
24-06-2014, 07:59
Given the very short booking window, I suspect the number of tickets on sale and therefore venue size will be significantly down compared to last year. I bet NIA, main arena only.

Herzlos
24-06-2014, 08:56
I think it's more likely they'll be having a Golden Demon event at Warhammer World, no Games Day, no external venue.

I mean, they'd have had to have booked the NIA months ago, and if they'd done that, why would they hold off on the ticket sales until the month before when they could have got some of them in before the end of year report? Every other Games Day has had tickets on sale in by May.

I suspect they haven't figured out how to fit it round the renovation plans yet so don't have a date to announce.

winterdyne
24-06-2014, 11:09
*Shudder* Warhammer World is simply not a big enough venue. Between the bare minimum we could expect (retail area, AoP, GD), I honestly don't think there's the floor space for it, even taking into account the back area used at FW open days.

Herzlos
24-06-2014, 11:17
It depends how much they scale it down. The Games part is already non-existent, so we're just looking at AoP, retail area and some displays. With under 500 attendees they could do that easily.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, I'm just saying that's where my money is.

MiyamatoMusashi
24-06-2014, 12:03
The Forge World Open Day maxes out how many people can fit into Warhammer World (due to fire regulations). I'm not sure how many that is off the top of my head, but the same limit would apply to any Golden Daemon held at WW. Put it this way, it's dramatically fewer than fit in the NIA (probably by about a factor of ten!) but given the debacle last year I don't expect many people would go again anyway - the poll in this very forum suggested not, unscientific and statistically invalid though it was.

The bigger problem than mere size is surely that the WW renovation work is supposed to start soon isn't it? So I can't believe they'd hold a GD there... this year, at least.

jtrowell
24-06-2014, 13:08
"Debacle last year" ? Care to elaborate for those that weren't there (or point to a corresponding thread) ?
Thanks in advance.

Herzlos
24-06-2014, 13:12
There were no games, or painting/assembling stuff, just the usual displays, giant shopping space and the Golden Demon was in the basement (down 2 flights of stairs) with some of the worst lighting possible (yellow spot lights behind models throwing off the colours and casting sillouettes bad). Of those few that attended (Was it something like 1400 including staff?), most seem to have spent most of the day bored out of their skulls.

Here's a link: http://pinsofwar.com/sales-day-2013-the-games-day-without-games/

jtrowell
25-06-2014, 10:35
Thank you, indeed this doesn't look like a very fun experience.

MiyamatoMusashi
28-06-2014, 11:41
An observation, from this weeks' White Dwarf, talking about Armies on Parade:

There’s also a deadline: 13 September. On that day, every Games Workshop around the world will host its Parade Day, where all the entrants in the local area will display their Armies on Parade.

Strangely it doesn't go on to say, "and two weeks later at Games Day the overall winner from all the stores will be judged alongside Golden Daemon", or anything like that, which is strange because you'd expect to know what competition you're entering (a national/international competition with a local first stage is a very different thing to a purely local competition). There is precisely zero mention of any such thing. Simply because they haven't announced Games Day and Golden Daemon yet and they want to keep it secret (as if we'd be surprised by an annual event)? Or...?

IOW, this:

Seems it will be on. Local GW has had instructions regarding Armies on Parade so I can only assume that September as usual and with a date announcement and ticket sale in August. My guess is NIA again.

...contains elements of truth, but may possibly contain an invalid assumption.

Wes1969
28-06-2014, 16:43
Yep, looks like a final for Armies on Parade does not go hand in hand with Games Day. I'm getting the feeling that Games Day UK will not go ahead.

What cheeses me off is the lack of communication from GW, if there isn't going to be a GD just come out and say so.

winterdyne
28-06-2014, 23:07
That would be admitting failure. Won't happen.

Wes1969
29-06-2014, 15:22
Never a truer word was spoken.

Oakenshield
30-06-2014, 10:06
Visited Warhammer World this weekend and they were fitting a new Armies on Parade cabinet into the museum with a Change in Progess sign on it. Will just leave that here.

winterdyne
30-06-2014, 10:32
Possible they'll run the final at WHW then. I can't see this working well, given how utterly swamped the place is even for the FW open day (which you'd think represents only a slice of GW's UK event-attending customer base). I could of course be wrong, and their refurbishments may give enough space to host an event of that sort of scale, but... I dunno. Hairs on my neck say dumb idea.

Vogon
06-07-2014, 14:32
My lad just got back from the local and was told there will be no Games Day this year. This is a real shame this was going to be his first year attending.

Cheers

Vogon.

Morathi's Darkest Sin
06-07-2014, 15:05
There is also a fairly substantial planning application for Warhammer World that has been given conditional permission, which would seem to try and expand the area for visitors/gaming etc that it could host a fair sized event.

http://publicaccess.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=MX16X8LYCB000

shelfunit.
06-07-2014, 17:07
There is also a fairly substantial planning application for Warhammer World that has been given conditional permission, which would seem to try and expand the area for visitors/gaming etc that it could host a fair sized event.

http://publicaccess.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=MX16X8LYCB000

I'm not sure what the maximum number of people they are currently allowed in WHW, but these changes would not allow for that many more, a few hundred at most.

Morathi's Darkest Sin
06-07-2014, 19:39
Aye, but if the rumours about a Fantasy themed, 40K themed and Golden Daemon being its own separate event turn out to be correct, that would be the fair amount I would be alluding to. Nothing like Games Day numbers obviously, but it would be something. Hell, I'm of the opinion Golden daemon would be better for a close feel event, hang out at Warhammer world, Bugmans, have a look round the other entries, the Museum etc.. I'd be more inclined to go to it, than the trek up to enter at Games Day.

shelfunit.
06-07-2014, 20:26
GD would certainly do better with appropriate lighting - although to be fair to GW, Salute suffered a bit this year in that respect too.

Vogon
20-07-2014, 08:59
So I asked the local GW manager and his response was
I asked the store manager about Games Day this year and his response was.

“I have not been told there isn’t going to be a games day but I also have not been told there *is* going to be one. I have been told that if anyone specifically asks about Games Day to tell them about the Warhammer 40,000 open day (which is today) where you will be able to meet a the studio staff in a similar format to a Games Day and it’s only £8. The Armies On Parade will be going ahead in every store in September but I have not been told anything about an event for the store winners.”

It doesn't look good.

Cheers

Vogon

MiyamatoMusashi
20-07-2014, 11:45
Our local GW has organised a "mini-Golden Daemon" in early September. Not sure why they'd need a mini one in the shop if there was going to be a full-sized one at the end of September anyway. Or maybe it's just the new guy trying to make the usual 4-to-6 week painting competitions sound more interesting by giving it a fancy name. Inconclusive.

I'm still going with the idea that there's no GD this year though. It's what I heard back in early December (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?382000-Will-you-be-going-to-Games-Day-next-year&p=6997124&viewfull=1#post6997124), and nothing I've heard since suggests it was wrong (though frustratingly often what I hear does turn out to be wrong).

TheFang
20-07-2014, 11:53
Searching NEC (http://www.thenec.co.uk/whatson?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=%28organic%29) and NIA (http://www.thenia.co.uk/whatson/exhibitions.htm) would suggest if they have booked one of those two venues they're not doing any publicity for it. The NEC site especially seems to list everything that's on.

Wintermute
20-07-2014, 18:23
Games Day is no more. It has been replaced by Warhammer Fest (http://battlebunnies.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/no-gamesday-warhammer-fest-instead-in.html) in October.

f2k
20-07-2014, 18:45
And another one bites the dust...

philbrad2
20-07-2014, 20:21
Note strictly 40K but definitely newsworthy. Announced at today's Studio day at Lenton (see www.battlebunnies.co.uk (http://www.battlebunnies.co.uk)) the UK September event is gone and a 2 day October event on 11th/12th October tickets a reasonable £20. Evidently being held at the Coventry RICOH arena. Might pick a ticket up for this one.

PhilB
:chrome:

yabbadabba
20-07-2014, 20:29
Hmm interesting. Might have to keep an eye on that. Cheers!

Deaf Paradox
20-07-2014, 21:10
More rubbish decisions IMO. GD used to be something brilliant, Warhammer Fest to my guess will be the equivalent of the old White Dwarf becoming what it is now.

shelfunit.
20-07-2014, 21:56
Games Day is no more. It has been replaced by Warhammer Fest (http://battlebunnies.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/no-gamesday-warhammer-fest-instead-in.html) in October.

So is this going to play out something like dressing up as an orc, go to Bugman's, get served by a buxom dwarf lady, get drunk and go home, all for the great GW price of £40, drinks not included?

Felwether
20-07-2014, 22:00
Um... Weekly?

yabbadabba
20-07-2014, 22:02
More rubbish decisions IMO. Care to explain? We don't even have any real details yet.

williamsond
20-07-2014, 22:06
in all fairness it seems like a re-branding so the don't get the Games at games day ribbing, hope it returns to the glory of the early ninties games days and doesn't just become a repeat of the come buy stuff off us at full price that games day became.

williamsond
20-07-2014, 22:13
some one said 20 quid a ticket but that may be both days so 40 in total and to be honest my hopes are not massive for this.

JackHamm3r
20-07-2014, 22:16
I think it´s the same then before just now 2 days you can buy everything for full retail :)

tristessa
20-07-2014, 22:35
Tickets reduced to 20 quid and still haters going to hate. Classic!

philbrad2
20-07-2014, 22:42
in all fairness it seems like a re-branding so the don't get the Games at games day ribbing, hope it returns to the glory of the early ninties games days and doesn't just become a repeat of the come buy stuff off us at full price that games day became.

It does, but by the sounds of it there will be a Golden Daemon comp. I also think there'll be a return to gaming here too. GDUK basically turned the NEC/NIA into a big GW store for a Sunday. With GW running such events as the FW, BL and Studio open days I think this will be (hopefully) a return to a gaming orientated event the UKGD's of yesteryear were. A far more reasonable cover charge of £20. There's a chance here to do something that's entirely games/hobby orientated than simply large GW/FW/BL stores. Running over two days as well sounds like they are trying to make it more of a 'con' type event to me. We'll soon see.

PhilB

Scaryscarymushroom
20-07-2014, 22:50

No one said tickets to the full event were reduced to 20£, unless you're saying it now.

Melkanador
20-07-2014, 22:57

What does the entry price reduction mean for a wargamer living in Italy, Spain, Australia or USA? It means they now need to purchase a flight to the UK & more which is a price increase of ~5000-50000% depending from where you come from.

It´s good for the people in the UK, that GW has any events for them, bad for everyone else.

GW traditional events, GT and Games Day are from now on not existent besides UK.

yabbadabba
20-07-2014, 23:08
What does the entry price reduction mean for a wargamer living in Italy, Spain, Australia or USA? It means they now need to purchase a flight to the UK & more which is a price increase of ~5000-50000% depending from where you come from.

Good for the people in the UK, bad for everyone else.

GW traditional events, GT and Games Day are from now on not existent besides UK. If they are non-existent, then your second sentence is illogical as any price reduction will benefit uk residents and external residents equally.

Vegeta365
20-07-2014, 23:11
Phil, was the £20 for both days or only 1?

Did they give any details?

The images says tickets are on sale. Are they actually on sale? I don't want to miss it as I'm sure all the FW goodies I will want will be on sale for the first time including a certain primarch I'm dying to get my hands on!

Thanks for any answers on the above.

AsleepByDay
21-07-2014, 01:04
If they are non-existent, then your second sentence is illogical as any price reduction will benefit uk residents and external residents equally.

If they are prohibitively expensive then any price decrease that doesn't reduce the cost to below prohibitive is of no benefit to be fair.

There is also a huge leap being made here, we have one photo of one poster which could easily be fake, I don't think that is enough evidence to conclude there will be no more events outside of the UK.

Personally I'm not bothered prospective by the death of games day, the ones I attended 2011-2012 were easily the worst cons I've attended.

Hendarion
21-07-2014, 06:19
We all it knew it was coming, but to have it black on white that national Games-Days are gone, that's just unbelievably sad.

Voss
21-07-2014, 06:23
Been gone for a while in most countries. And bad for a long time before that.
I only feel bad for the abuse of the word 'fest.'

winterdyne
21-07-2014, 08:08
Don't care about the price reduction- for the 2 days, it actually costs my wife and I more. For 1 day, it's still twice the price of salute, with a lot to live up to. Worried about the downsizing, worried about what 'events' they will have running. Given the last few years I have little hope for this without knowing further details, in advance, on line (I don't buy white dwarf any more).

Metacarpi
21-07-2014, 08:30
I'm quite interested to see how this "re-lauch" will fare, I'm (somewhat naively) optimistic about this.

Melkanador
21-07-2014, 08:38
Well, I guess alone due to the Golden Daemon event it will be sold out, as the majority of professional painters will probably attend instead of visiting other GD events which used to be held in Europe.

Herzlos
21-07-2014, 08:51

I wonder why it's "Ask staff for more details" rather than providing the details, since it's on a projector screen? To cut down on leaks?

Regarding the price, we don't know if it's good value or not yet since we've no idea what's involved. If it includes the exclusive mini and lunch then £20/day is a great deal. If it includes nothing and is more or less just a sales day again then it's still poor value. As said it's double the price of Salute, so it's got a lot to prove.

MiyamatoMusashi
21-07-2014, 09:44
Regarding the price, we don't know if it's good value or not yet since we've no idea what's involved. If it includes the exclusive mini and lunch then £20/day is a great deal. If it includes nothing and is more or less just a sales day again then it's still poor value.

Yeah, this.

One has to assume that since it is explicitly not Games Day then it will be different in some way. Whether that means simply different to last year's Games Day, ie. a step forward (it can't possibly be a step back... he says hesitantly) or different to the Games Days that were actually good, ie. not necessarily a step forward, we don't yet know. And until we know what it is, we can't possibly say £20 is good value (but if it is broadly similar to last year's GD, even free entry would be questionable).

tu33y
21-07-2014, 11:23
the events with lunch included are normally in the £55-£60 range, but that is normally for two full days, with coffee and donuts and snacks and stuff. I doubt it will include lunch at either £20 OR £40 unless it is a special menu with easy lighter choices- most of bugmans stuff is pretty big plates with a decent portion.

TheFang
21-07-2014, 11:32
So is this going to play out something like dressing up as an orc, go to Bugman's, get served by a buxom dwarf lady, get drunk and go home, all for the great GW price of £40, drinks not included?
Sign me up. Not at Bugman's though.

the events with lunch included are normally in the £55-£60 range, but that is normally for two full days, with coffee and donuts and snacks and stuff. I doubt it will include lunch at either £20 OR £40 unless it is a special menu with easy lighter choices- most of bugmans stuff is pretty big plates with a decent portion.
According to the rumour it's at the Ricoh in Coventry. Looks like a Games Day over two days at a different venue. Need to see whether the £20 is two days or one.

Daigar
21-07-2014, 11:37
I think it's a play on Oktoberfest. Since it's in October.

Herzlos
21-07-2014, 11:49

I think the event catering was from a cafeteria rather than Bugmans, it'd be unlikely to be more than sandwich and drink. Even then I doubt it'll be included since it's at some separate venue.

Kung Fu Hamster
21-07-2014, 13:28
Care to explain? We don't even have any real details yet.

Like that stops people from complaining...

Evil_D185
21-07-2014, 14:01
I think it's a play on Oktoberfest. Since it's in October.

Unlogical as the Oktoberfest is in Spetember!! To celebrate the comming October

Inquisitor Engel
21-07-2014, 14:56
To celebrate the comming October

Actually it's in September because October in Bavaria is typically a really crappy month for outdoor activities... It was originally for the two weeks prior to October 12th-ish to celebrate the marriage of a German prince. Today, the last day of the festival is the first Sunday in October.

Anyway ... Warhammer Fest still seems like a very unoriginal and lame name, but at least it gets the point across. "Games Day" always was a bit vague.

Wes1969
21-07-2014, 15:16
Won't knock it until I've tried it.

stevegill
21-07-2014, 15:27
Anyway ... Warhammer Fest still seems like a very unoriginal and lame name, but at least it gets the point across. "Games Day" always was a bit vague.

Not always - way, way back it was a day for getting together to talk about, play, demo etc. games

Commissar Goddard
21-07-2014, 19:05
This went up on a GW store page earlier, more just a confirmation of what's already in the thread.

+++++Important announcement+++++
This October sees the first ever WARHAMMER FEST.
A celebration of all the multiple worlds of Games Workshop, you'll be able to experience all kinds of Hobby Demos, seminars, you'll be able to talk to the design studio and have your first opportunity to grab the newest Games Workshop, Black Library and Forge World products, as well as access to event only merchandise and limited edition product.
This will also be the forum for this years Golden Demon painting competition, the premier arena for the best miniature painters in the world and also Armies on Parade (Sunday only).
The best part is, tickets for Warhammer Fest will be available in store from this Wednesday, so to get yourself a ticket, be here at 12pm.
Tickets cost £20 per day
The event will be held at Ricoh arena, Coventry on Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th October

6mmhero
21-07-2014, 20:25
Wow thats a crap name.
I think it will remain to be seen what the event is like and if it is worth the cost. The last Games Day I went to a few years ago was terrible it truly was. However the open days they run are actually quite good so I imagine that it could be a combo of all the open days etc.

MiyamatoMusashi
21-07-2014, 20:39
This went up on a GW store page earlier

Our local store is building up to a "big surprise announcement for all those who've been asking about Games Day" on Wednesday, apparently unaware of the existence of the internet.

conscriptboris
21-07-2014, 21:17
Hopefully the new one will have alcohol and late night gaming!

philbrad2
21-07-2014, 21:39
Phil, was the £20 for both days or only 1?

Did they give any details?

The images says tickets are on sale. Are they actually on sale? I don't want to miss it as I'm sure all the FW goodies I will want will be on sale for the first time including a certain primarch I'm dying to get my hands on!

Thanks for any answers on the above.

From what I saw its was £20 each day. Don;t know if GW will do a weekend pass. Getting a really strong 'Con' vibe from this event, GW might just have realised the popularity of Adepticon/Salute etc ... not to mention the BL Weekender events. GD was a very tired format the last few years just got less and less to do with gaming, ironic!

Not always - way, way back it was a day for getting together to talk about, play, demo etc. games

Couldn't have put it better myself. Games at Games Day - are you insane sir?! ;)

PhilB

Daniel36
21-07-2014, 21:45
It's about grand time they did away with the name Games Day... Hardly any games...

MiyamatoMusashi
22-07-2014, 07:56
...or maybe they could have just, I dunno, put the games back in?

Rick_1138
22-07-2014, 09:00
This is what I find s daft, why be secret about this, this is the type of thing people need to know in advance to get rooms, travel etc if they are going, not leave it later and later before telling people, here we are less than 3 months from the event and that's not a huge amount of time for golden demons to get done, especially when we are told often that their wasn't going to be one this year.

Hmm.

stevegill
22-07-2014, 09:51
...or maybe they could have just, I dunno, put the games back in?

Ah, yes, the dream option :)

Given how much GW seems to be in a retro mood atm it's quite possible they just might, we'll have to wait and see when more details come out

Rick_1138
22-07-2014, 10:02
I'm surprised that tickets are on sale yet (apparently tomorrow) no mention has been made in WD or the GW website at all. I am tempted to go as I want to enter GD again however its £140 to get there and back from Aberdeen on the train, the stadium is at the opposite end of the city from the station and there aren't many hotels near it bar one at the event which I believe is quite small. Its a long way and a lot of cash for what could be a copy of last years games day and with only 2 months notice, that's not long to get ready for golden demon. Hopefully GW will start telling us whats involved soon as I don't want to travel for 7 hours each way to find its basically a shop and 30 minute seminars again.

Godzooky
22-07-2014, 11:44
Appropriate.

I've been seriously considering sending Games Workshop to Coventry for months now.

Cheeslord
22-07-2014, 11:55
Plus point from my point-of-view: I live in Coventry.

On the other hand we all stopped playing sometime after 6th edition came out.

Still, if we ever get back into it again and they keep the Coventry venue...

Mark.

MiyamatoMusashi
22-07-2014, 12:02
Appropriate.

I've been seriously considering sending Games Workshop to Coventry for months now.

I see what you did there. ;)

yabbadabba
22-07-2014, 13:45
I've been seriously considering sending Games Workshop to Coventry for months now. I did 2 stints at GW Coventry. What you are suggesting is inhumane.

MiyamatoMusashi
22-07-2014, 13:52
To be fair, if ever a symbol were needed of the oppressive dystopian future within which 40K is set, Coventry is not far off perfect. Add a few Tyranids and you're done.

yabbadabba
22-07-2014, 13:58
To be fair, if ever a symbol were needed of the oppressive dystopian future within which 40K is set, Coventry is not far off perfect. Add a few Tyranids and you're done. And remove a few of the mutants. Not even the EoT has that many mutants.

Vegeta365
22-07-2014, 18:22
Any advice on where to stay that won't break the bank? Any places to avoid due to being poor?

And any confirmation tickets are on sale tomorrow?

Deaf Paradox
22-07-2014, 20:01
Care to explain? We don't even have any real details yet.

I know I know I'm being a negative nancy but as much as I love GW as a hobby I hate the people running the company. I used to love reading White Dwarf and the new two version feels soulless to me. Plus all I have heard is how rubbish GW Day became over the recent years. By the sounds of it, if it wasn't for Forgeworld then the day would be pointless anyway.

Hopefully tomorrow GW will shread some light on it and it does indeed return to an actual fun day.

TheFang
22-07-2014, 20:06
I don't know about secrecy more likely they've only just decided. The Ricoh is easy and convenient because it's not being used for football as Coventry City and the Ricoh owners are bickering. Checking the website has a load of free weekends and days. Probably cheap to book at the minute as there's no footy income.

Hotels in the City Centre are a bit sparse and getting there on a Sunday could well be tricky by public transport. If you've a car there are plenty of decent places to stay in the surrounding area, even the NEC airport hotels could be used by non UKers if you plan your train from Birmingham International NEC to Cov and there are no engineering works that weekend.

Cyrox
22-07-2014, 20:28
To start, £20 is a damn site cheaper than the last few Games Day events, so that's a plus point

Here's hoping they go back to the old style GD, and from the sounds of it they might be. Fingers crossed.

yabbadabba
22-07-2014, 20:38
I know I know I'm being a negative nancy but as much as I love GW as a hobby I hate the people running the company. I used to love reading White Dwarf and the new two version feels soulless to me. Plus all I have heard is how rubbish GW Day became over the recent years. By the sounds of it, if it wasn't for Forgeworld then the day would be pointless anyway.

Hopefully tomorrow GW will shread some light on it and it does indeed return to an actual fun day. I agree with everything you have said here, and to be honest even FW was not enough of a draw for me - I think the only reason it was so popular at GD is because everything else wasn't, and you didn't have to pay postage.

For em GD reached its troubled zenith under Mike Mason. If he had been allowed to carry forth his vision, it would have been something awe inspiring.

TheFang
22-07-2014, 21:11
For em GD reached its troubled zenith under Mike Mason. If he had been allowed to carry forth his vision, it would have been something awe inspiring.
Tell me more...

yabbadabba
22-07-2014, 22:54
Tell me more... Well, we are going back some, but if I remember right Mike wanted to go the whole hog. He had had extensive experience of events like Gencon, and in his team he had staff who had been going to wargames shows since HG Wells thought it might be a good idea to play with toy soldiers. The big picture was to eventually have everything that GW was connected with under the one roof for 2 days including evening activities with people staying over in the hotels. He wanted to get as much of GW under the NEC roofs as he could and allow the hobbyists to get as up close and personal as possible. I always thought he managed to secure some of the best GD figures available and he packaged them as if they were worth having - I think it was his idea to offer a GD figure with the ticket. He was happy to push event only models and deals and he saw the community as a fundamental part of the whole show, as much as the company in some respects. We even discussed opening it up to other businesses, on the proviso they did not sell GW goods, because contrary to possible feelings on the Net GW has extensive and deep connections with the wargames community as a whole. There was more, I remember discussing it on more than a few occasions, but for me in relation to GD, Mike was a visionary in a company of narrow visioned, mono-directional money men.

GD costs GW a lot of money, and it has only made profit on a few occasions, as well as having a negative sales impact in the stores after. But for me it was like SGs, it gave more than just profit and what it gave was critical to the business and the hobby. GD should have been a jewel in the crown that created a years worth of buzz and passion.

Bloodknight
23-07-2014, 11:13
as well as having a negative sales impact in the stores after

Yeah, well, people can't spend their one amount of money twice. :).

That said, with the outrageous admission charges that GW wanted for something that turned into what was basically an extended GW store (now with extra lines to stand in!) for two days it's not wonder if there were fewer and fewer people coming. The last German GD didn't even sell out the "limited" 2000 tickets (although still - at 50 euros per ticket without a shirt and a miniature that's nearly 100K€ income from admission fees only before selling anything to the people, what were they doing to lose money on that? AFAIK they even only paid their part timers for 4 hours instead of the 8 the event took). I'm pretty sure that a few years ago there were at least 2-3 times as many attendants, the Gürzenich was always chock-full, but they kept reducing the value for the customers from year to year. They cut down the seminars, the T-Shirt, the miniature etc. etc. People used to be excited about GD and next year's GD. Now over the last couple of years most of the feedback you got from people who went was a resounding "Meh!", and that they wouldn't go again.

Vegeta365
23-07-2014, 17:04
Well I have purchased tickets for this and will give the first one a go to see if it can restore my faith :)

Looks like a similar set up to the heresy weekenders and they are good fun! Will be spending a lot on solar auxilia, a new primarch and a new book!

Deaf Paradox
23-07-2014, 19:04
Well I have purchased tickets for this and will give the first one a go to see if it can restore my faith :)

Looks like a similar set up to the heresy weekenders and they are good fun! Will be spending a lot on solar auxilia, a new primarch and a new book!

Not to be funny but this is what annoys me about GW. There GW are starting their new Warhammerfest weekend and what is the first thing you buy. Forgeworld stuff lol GW just don't have the hype anymore to keep their own stuff interesting where as with the Forgeworld guys you can feel the passion burning off of HH. Plus there are always generating excitement by showing off future models. Hell this is stuff GW used to do themselves, 1 step forward, millions of steps back.

Did they include a model with e ticket, didn't see it mention on the Forgeworld email as it only half loaded?

Btw please don't think that I'm moaning at you for buying Forgeworld, I'm not.

Well, we are going back some, but if I remember right Mike wanted to go the whole hog. He had had extensive experience of events like Gencon, and in his team he had staff who had been going to wargames shows since HG Wells thought it might be a good idea to play with toy soldiers. The big picture was to eventually have everything that GW was connected with under the one roof for 2 days including evening activities with people staying over in the hotels. He wanted to get as much of GW under the NEC roofs as he could and allow the hobbyists to get as up close and personal as possible. I always thought he managed to secure some of the best GD figures available and he packaged them as if they were worth having - I think it was his idea to offer a GD figure with the ticket. He was happy to push event only models and deals and he saw the community as a fundamental part of the whole show, as much as the company in some respects. We even discussed opening it up to other businesses, on the proviso they did not sell GW goods, because contrary to possible feelings on the Net GW has extensive and deep connections with the wargames community as a whole. There was more, I remember discussing it on more than a few occasions, but for me in relation to GD, Mike was a visionary in a company of narrow visioned, mono-directional money men.

GD costs GW a lot of money, and it has only made profit on a few occasions, as well as having a negative sales impact in the stores after. But for me it was like SGs, it gave more than just profit and what it gave was critical to the business and the hobby. GD should have been a jewel in the crown that created a years worth of buzz and passion.

Very interesting and such a shame.

Evil_D185
23-07-2014, 20:21
This all seems rather unprofessional!
On the GW site no mention what the categories for the GD competition are or what restrictions are!
No food ad drinks allowed! Are they crazy!
They cannot forbid you to take something to drink, what if I dehydrate or I am a diabetic??
Can they tell me what and where their food comes from? Do they cater for vegetarians? what if I do not eat the garbage they offer?

I am sorry I could understand if this had to do with a food and dring fair but not something totaly unrelated. I think ther must be alot more information before hand not find out when you are there and bad luck!

Evil_D185
23-07-2014, 20:24
This all seems rather unprofessional!
On the GW site no mention what the categories for the GD competition are or what restrictions are!
No food ad drinks allowed! Are they crazy!
They cannot forbid you to take something to drink, what if I dehydrate or I am a diabetic??
Can they tell me what and where their food comes from, do they cater for vegetarians, what if I do not eat the garbage they offer?

I am sorry I could understand if this had to do with a food and dring fair but not something totaly unrelated. I think there should be alot more information before hand and not find out when you are there and bad luck!

MiyamatoMusashi
23-07-2014, 22:26
Sorry, but that's pretty much all major events for you. Certainly NIA and NEC both had similar restrictions on bringing your own food and drink (variably enforced, to be sure), and even the Grand Prix has the same thing, it's not new nor unique to GW. Arenas and conference centres pretty much always say that, it's just how it is. Going to have to find another outlet for your ire I'm afraid. If you actually are diabetic etc, maybe you could build a case; but it sounds like you're not, you're just looking for something to moan about. (If it's anything like Games Day last year there will be plenty to moan about anyway, so save it up for that if you like).

The Golden Daemon thing is a bigger concern, fair enough; but start with the assumption that the categories are the same as last time and I don't suppose you'll go too far wrong.

Evil_D185
23-07-2014, 22:32
And what are the catigories and all the restrictions for each I can not remember, do you know the 2013 restrictions.

MiyamatoMusashi
23-07-2014, 23:00
And what are the catigories and all the restrictions for each I can not remember, do you know the 2013 restrictions.

http://bit.ly/1x2XRkP

Evil_D185
23-07-2014, 23:55
http://bit.ly/1x2XRkP

Sly want to be answer! But could not find anything for 2013! only 2006

Apart from and that beeing also my point, it should be on the website

yabbadabba
23-07-2014, 23:59
Sly want to be answer! But could not find anything for 2013! only 2006

Apart from and that beeing also my point, it should be on the websitehave you thought about calling or emailing GW before your rage does you damage?

Evil_D185
24-07-2014, 00:07
have you thought about calling or emailing GW before your rage does you damage?

yes of course but do you honestly think they know more, i doubt it. the amount of times I have been misinformed, though you must be mistaken if you think that is rage or have a low point of rage.
Though it is no help if people give helpless answer just because they think they have to post something..... oh sorry I am in GW General forgot about that

So basically GW "could " be selling their Sunday tickets and then bam! As if they might have forgotten to tell you we only have 3 categories now but no worries you could have guest that before hand as we have downsized everything ells in the past.

yabbadabba
24-07-2014, 00:09
yes of course but do you honestly think they know more, i doubt it. the amount of times I have been misinformed, though you must be mistaken if you think that is rage or have a low point of rage.
Though it is no help if people give helpless answer just because they think they have to post something..... oh sorry I am in GW General forgot about that

So basically GW "could " be selling their Sunday tickets and then bam! As if they might have forgotten to tell you we only have 3 categories now but no worries you could have quest that before hand as we have downsized everything ells in the past.yeah .... Sorry I said anything now. I'll leave you to it.

Evil_D185
24-07-2014, 00:11
yeah .... Sorry I said anything now. I'll leave you to it.

Sure accepted no worries, easy isn'it

Trying to be helpful is one thing but I think we are aware that MiyamatoMusashi was not exactly even trying to be helpful but rather sarcastic, as if one would not think of that idea by ones self. Sorry if you see that differently but

No one knows if anything has changed, maybe they only have 3 catigories now and no one knows, is it to much to ask for that they actually would have some usefull information on the GW site?

Best thing is simply not to ask questions that way you do not need to hope for a usefull answer

Thunderchylde
24-07-2014, 00:25
Many venues implement that rule, rather than the organisers...

Evil_D185
24-07-2014, 00:32
Many venues implement that rule, rather than the organisers...

Aware of that, but it still remains the same thing, no information
Have seen though thatn there is a Tesco near, at least but still does not give anyone the right to deny.

TheFang
24-07-2014, 00:39
Have seen though thatn there is a Tesco near, at least but still does not give anyone the right to deny.
Buying the ticket means you agree to their terms and conditions.

stevegill
24-07-2014, 01:14

Unfortunately it's usually a contractual agreement between the venue and their food suppliers, event organisers just have to live with it.

MiyamatoMusashi
24-07-2014, 07:13
Dude, I've already said I think they could handle the Golden Daemon thing better. But you know why the only info you can find on categories is from 2006? Because it's barely changed, either before or since, it's the same every year. Those categories will be a really good guideline, and I'll eat my paintbrush if it's significantly different in 2014. And if I'm wrong? Maybe get angry then. Just like your "what if I'm diabetic!!!!" when I don't think you are, "what if the categories are different!!!!" is maybe a bridge you can burn when you get to it.

Rick_1138
24-07-2014, 08:24
I just e-mailed GW to ask, but my instinct tells me it will be the usual single miniature, squad, diormama etc. I have my flight and accommodation booked at the venue so just my ticket to get and await FW delivery to start painting stuff within the 2 month timeframe....twitch! :)

Rick_1138
24-07-2014, 08:47
There are about 6-8 food\drink venues within the stadium complex according to its website, including a pub and a costa coffee. So there is stuff there, and there is a hotel in which I am staying, so getting some vittles' wont be an issue. and I am sure taking in a bottle of water with you wont be an issue. Ayt last years Games day they were handing out water for free anyway.

Got my ticket, flights and accommodation ready to go, now just to actually paint something....fast! :S

tneva82
24-07-2014, 09:53

Be happy you don't live in Finland. Where bringing your own drinks to festival can be forbidden but having alcoholic drinks in children's amusement park is okay.

Now maybe England's law are different and nobody can prevent you from bringing own food/drinks(though doesn't look like that) but in Finland it's not that uncommon prohibition.

Rogue Star
24-07-2014, 10:01
To start, £20 is a damn site cheaper than the last few Games Day events, so that's a plus point

I believe Games Day Tickets covered the entire weekend though. If people haven't noticed from the green and red colored ones on sale, you have to buy a Saturday and Sunday to get the full weekend, of £40.

Castiel
24-07-2014, 10:15
What I find slightly amusing is that if you view the Ricoh Arena site and check the event calendar they do not even have an event scheduled for the 11/12th Oct

http://www.ricoharena.com/

yabbadabba
24-07-2014, 10:18
I believe Games Day Tickets covered the entire weekend though. If people haven't noticed from the green and red colored ones on sale, you have to buy a Saturday and Sunday to get the full weekend, of £40. Games Day was just 1 day mate. This only gets to be £40 if there are two different timetables (bound to be) with things in both you want to attend. Otherwise it might be just the one day.

shelfunit.
24-07-2014, 10:42
What I find slightly amusing is that if you view the Ricoh Arena site and check the event calendar they do not even have an event scheduled for the 11/12th Oct

http://www.ricoharena.com/

But they do have the highly anticipated "Vacuum expo 2014" on the next week....

Bob Hunk
24-07-2014, 12:21
But they do have the highly anticipated "Vacuum expo 2014" on the next week....

Hey, don't knock it until you've tried it! :D It is actually a reasonably noteworthy event within the vacuum technology industry (we're talking scientific and industrial vacuum pumps and chambers rather than Hoovers). I went to the Photonex event (laser trade show) last year that runs in simultaneously in an adjacent hall.

Back on topic, Warhammer Fest is a slightly cheesy name, but it has kind of piqued my interest a bit more than the modern Games Days ever did. Still not sure I can muster the enthusiasm to go though. ;) The Ricoh Arena isn't a bad venue, as these places go.

macejase
24-07-2014, 12:59
Looking at it the two days are the same apart from golden daemon on the Sunday, which is why I went with a Saturday ticket. Hopefully it will be less busy, and I wasn't too impressed with golden daemon at least years games day. (The layout not the skill of the painters, I visited the hall twice and don't think I got a good look at more than two or three models). If it is later revealed that there are different releases / schedules for the different days I will be most annoyed as I'm hoping to get all the new stuff without going twice.

tu33y
24-07-2014, 13:18
"nothing delights our customers more than buying Games Workshop products... especially if they can pay an entrance fee for the privilege"

-Unknown Board member, GW.

(wink wink)

Rick_1138
24-07-2014, 19:15
Update:

Apparently there is no info yet about golden demon, but there will be a brief (i assume to staff) on the 20th of August about the event. But the woman at GW says she can't see it deviating much from previous. So I will forge ahead.

TheFang
24-07-2014, 20:44
20th of August

Really? Nothing like giving the staff the info early. :rolleyes:

They don't seem to have thought this through very far.

Rick_1138
24-07-2014, 20:50
Think it's all a bit of a mad rush tbh. But as long as it doesn't wildly change I'm not too fussed.

f2k
24-07-2014, 20:53
Really? Nothing like giving the staff the info early. :rolleyes:

They don't seem to have thought this through very far.

And this surprises you?

Games Workshop has been downright paranoid when it comes to information for several years now. Everything is withheld to the very last moment - and that goes for both staff and customers.

Not a particularly bright idea if you ask me, but it is Games Workshop we're talking about...

Bloodknight
24-07-2014, 21:22
Where bringing your own drinks to festival can be forbidden but having alcoholic drinks in children's amusement park is okay.

Own drinks are usually forbidden on festival grounds because some ********* will beat others over the head with glass bottles. That said, cinemas will usually not allow bringing own food or drinks either. Understandably so because that stuff is what they really make their money with. It's like gas stations, the main product barely makes any money (in Germany, the proprietor gets about 10 cents from a liter of Diesel that costs 1.40 Euro), the shop does.

Ghost42
25-07-2014, 22:06
Anyone know when they have an event like this in canada?

yabbadabba
25-07-2014, 22:21
at least but still does not give anyone the right to deny. It does other than with reasonable medical needs.

Wintermute
26-07-2014, 12:08
I've merged the Warhammer Fest thread from 40K News & Rumours with the (older) Games Day UK Birmingham 2014 thread which was discussing Warhammer Fest before the 40K News & Rumours thread had been started.

Wintermute

huitzilopochtli
29-07-2014, 13:13
What time does Games Day usually end? Trying to work out if a 19.00 flight home is doable on the Sunday. :shifty:

Herzlos
29-07-2014, 13:36
The old games days fizzed out by about 4, so you'd be alright to get a 19:00 flight leaving at about 5, but we don't know anything about the format of these new events so it could be different. You'd be best asking WHW directly.

huitzilopochtli
29-07-2014, 14:27
Yeah, I'll give it a try. Thanks!