PDA

View Full Version : New Dwarf Gyrocopter/Gyrobomber

Craze_b0i
05-02-2014, 22:14
Your thoughts?

Malagor
05-02-2014, 22:20
At first I thought it was a bit odd and kinda funny looking but the more I look at it the more I like it especially the bomber.

ARabidNun
05-02-2014, 22:21
I think I am going to wait to see the full release of the rules. I currently have 2 of the older metal gyrocopters (before the one that was/is currently being sold) but I do fancy the new models, and being plastic has a really good advantage. I am sure I will pick up a box to assemble the bomber and see from there. Being T5 with a 4+ save seems a little soft (Like running Vargheists) and even S3 shooting will manage to bring it down rather quickly unless we can add runes, or beef up the toughness.

The Binman
05-02-2014, 22:22
Not keen at the moment but am going to wait until I see more/better pics before I vote.

theunwantedbeing
05-02-2014, 22:26
I like the new dwarf eldar helicopter thingy.

Kakapo42
05-02-2014, 22:27
My current thoughts are that whoever created that model ought to be wired into a Penitent Engine. I do not like it one bit. It just seems silly to me. I liked the previous one, it made sense to me. It actually looked like a viable helicopter, rather than some ridiculous blob-like steampunk... thing. Don't get me wrong, I like steampunk just as much as the next person, but I don't like overly silly steampunk, which I feel this model is. The paint scheme probably doesn't help either.

Soundwave
05-02-2014, 22:59
I am stuck in between at this point. It is in the same boat as the hydra model at this point. So it will grow on me I guess.

Treadhead_1st
05-02-2014, 23:04
In between. For the Gyrocopter I definitely need to see 360 pictures, I definitely like the Gyrobomber more, but I might even need to see the models unpainted in person to decide whether I love or hate the models. A different paint-job (particularly texturing rather than a flat colour) might make me love them, but for now the Gyrocopter looks too dinky and the Gyrobomber too heavy/futuristic.

yarrickson
05-02-2014, 23:15
Great looking models. Fantastic. Bouncing bomb sounds immense.

SpanielBear
06-02-2014, 06:13
I will only accept dwarves getting a bouncing bomb if each model also comes with a recording of the Dambusters theme.

Abaraxas
06-02-2014, 07:27
Went with inbetween.

Might go nicely with my Squat army, after some mods-but for WHFB Dwarves I don't like it/them.
I don't actually have a fantasy Dwarf army (just Bugmans Rangers and some characters) so I'm not sure if my opinion really matters :D

Blkc57
06-02-2014, 07:39
Some one needs to post the picture where it compares the Gyrobomber to Dr. Robotnik's flying machine.

Evil Hypnotist
06-02-2014, 07:59
Some one needs to post the picture where it compares the Gyrobomber to Dr. Robotnik's flying machine.

Ninja'd! Exactly what I thought :D

Can't to the gyrocopter but:

http://www.flafungame.com/Image/08091212238274.jpg

Spiney Norman
06-02-2014, 08:25
I hate the copter, its short, truncated look just looks unfinished and silly, the longer tail on the bomber somewhat rescues it and makes it look a bit less like a bucket chair with rota blades strapped to the top. If they had kept the tail on the copter and just put something else in to fill the gap vacated by the bombs it wouldn't have that 'em couldn't be bothered to finish the second half of the model' feel to it.

Rakariel
06-02-2014, 08:30
Am inbetween at the moment. I think it looks pretty goofy tbh but that is also where its charm comes from. I don`t think I would ever say that I love the design but its way better than some atrocities like the Skullcannon, Dark Rider Horses, the new Hydra or the Chimera imo.

duffybear1988
06-02-2014, 08:33
Pretty much this entire release looks goofy and the paint job doesn't help it one bit. Looks like GW are copying Mantic dwarfs (not a good thing)! Nothing feels like it has any real character. Even the longbeards look bland compared to the old metals. I look at the figures and start to wonder when the Warhammer Fantasy children's cartoon is going to hit TV, because that's what all these releases are starting to look like - toys for children.

cornonthecob
06-02-2014, 08:33
Really dislike it, just looks like a toy wheras the older one looked like a viable Helicopter.

shelfunit.
06-02-2014, 08:37
Inbetween. The front looks ok, but what is going on at the back?

williamsond
06-02-2014, 08:42
It looks a bit too much like Doctor Robotnik from the sonic games for me.

BigbyWolf
06-02-2014, 08:48
Inbetween. The front looks ok, but what is going on at the back?

Clearly you are not a fan of mullets.:shifty:

shelfunit.
06-02-2014, 08:51
Clearly you are not a fan of mullets.:shifty:

Acceptable in the 80's, less so today.

Karak Norn Clansman
06-02-2014, 09:06
The Gyrocopter is inferior to what had gone before, if Warhammer Fantasy Dwarfs are concerned. Heck, I'd expected more or less a resculpt into plastic of the 6th edition Gyrocopter, but now I'll have to hunt it on Ebay. :D

I went with inbetween, because the Gyros are not fit for fantasy, but perfect for 40k. It won't take much modification to use them in a Squat army, which I will in the case of the Gyrobomber.

shelfunit.
06-02-2014, 09:51
The Gyrocopter is inferior to what had gone before, if Warhammer Fantasy Dwarfs are concerned. Heck, I'd expected more or less a resculpt into plastic of the 6th edition Gyrocopter, but now I'll have to hunt it on Ebay. :D

There's always Black tree design (http://www.blacktreedesign.com/uk/product.php?productid=23704&cat=2315&page=1), if you were looking for that "old school" dwarf look.

Karak Norn Clansman
06-02-2014, 09:56
There's always Black tree design (http://www.blacktreedesign.com/uk/product.php?productid=23704&cat=2315&page=1), if you were looking for that "old school" dwarf look.

Thank you. It's quite nice, but I'm rather more after a convincing machine. The 6th editio Gyrocopter is the best example of a Dwarf helicopter yet seen to my knowledge. :)

Odin
06-02-2014, 10:00
It just looks stupid. Worst miniature since the razorgor I think.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Abaraxas
06-02-2014, 10:09
Unfortunately I am not so keen on the appearance of the new characters and units though.

Craze_b0i
06-02-2014, 10:25
Right so according to the poll everyone loves it, but according to the comments everyone hates it (except 40k players with Squats). Hmmm.

Karak Norn Clansman
06-02-2014, 10:44
Right so according to the poll everyone loves it, but according to the comments everyone hates it (except 40k players with Squats). Hmmm.

Which goes to show that comments alone are not necessarily an indicator of popular opinion.

The main problem with the Gyrocopter to me is its large, Boeing-like metal front piece coupled with the too small rotors. It looks too heavy for a fantasy contraption, and thus goes contrary to the suspension of disbelief.

It'd have been nice to see skids on it, as well.

It looks too advanced for WHFB (so advanced, in fact, that the Dwarfs should be recreating their Empire at full steam through air superiority) and have an egg-shape which is likewise unsuitable for Gyros in fantasy. As for 40k, it's a whole different matter. I love the concept of the Gyrobomber, and I might even grow to accept that version in WHFB, but for reasons of quality not nostalgia, the 6th edition Gyrocopter remains the pinnacle of what Dwarf Gyrocopters should look like.

MarkNorfolk
06-02-2014, 10:45
Love it. The arcane design suits the warhammer world. The fact that it looks unreal is a plus. Somethring resembling a real helicopter would look plain wrong (the last version was the worst IMHO).

Cheers
Mark

logan054
06-02-2014, 10:46

It's just human nature sadly, people tend to make more noise when they are unhappy

TheBearminator
06-02-2014, 10:49
Can't seem to find any picture of it. I like Dr Robotniks flying egg though.

Karak Norn Clansman
06-02-2014, 10:51
It's just human nature sadly, people tend to make more noise when they are unhappy

Turn it on its head: Wouldn't it be irritating if everyone made as much jubilar noise when they're content as they do complaints when they are unhappy? :p

Still, I'm most happy with it for 40k. With the new Gyrocopter box, the Squats rise again!

Oh, that Tech-Priest with beard is also a godsent for space dwarfs. I'm not being sarcastic, I'm seeing the possibilities in a positive light. Naturally, you simply don't buy what you don't like amongst the new releases for your WHFB Dwarfs.

Can't seem to find any picture of it. I like Dr Robitnics flying egg though.

See here and judge for yourself. (http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13996&pid=230782#pid230782)

dwarf_zepplin
06-02-2014, 10:59
I am reserving a whole CHAPTER in my hold's book of grudges for the reckless beardling who sculpted/designed these things... The rest of the release is great, but gyros have never sat well with me. I'm with the others who said the 6th edition version looks the most 'convincing', and I even have one of the ancient 5th edition version, but it has been many a year since it flew to war... but these new ones just hurt my eyes.

N1AK
06-02-2014, 11:01
Which goes to show that comments alone are not necessarily an indicator of popular opinion.

The main problem with the Gyrocopter to me is its large, Boeing-like metal front piece coupled with the too small rotors. It looks too heavy for a fantasy contraption, and thus goes contrary to the suspension of disbelief.

It'd have been nice to see skids on it, as well.

It looks too advanced for WHFB (so advanced, in fact, that the Dwarfs should be recreating their Empire at full steam through air superiority) and have an egg-shape which is likewise unsuitable for Gyros in fantasy. As for 40k, it's a whole different matter. I love the concept of the Gyrobomber, and I might even grow to accept that version in WHFB, but for reasons of quality not nostalgia, the 6th edition Gyrocopter remains the pinnacle of what Dwarf Gyrocopters should look like.

I really like it and have no particular issue with the level of technology. I've always liked the idea that some Dwarf engineers are capable of producing very advanced contraptions and it is Dwarf societies distrust of them that stops them from being widely used. I admit the new design looks a little more 'mass produced' than I'd prefer but that's only going to be an issue if every army includes loads of them and it seems like stocks in the Dwarf aeronautics firm Grudgebus are rocketing

Fle
06-02-2014, 11:04
I like them both - they really capture the whole "them engineers are an odd breed" feeling.

logan054
06-02-2014, 11:04
Turn it on its head: Wouldn't it be irritating if everyone made as much jubilar noise when they're content as they do complaints when they are unhappy? :p

Depends on the reason they are happy ;) a few birds I know.....

T10
06-02-2014, 11:06
I will only accept dwarves getting a bouncing bomb if each model also comes with a recording of the Dambusters theme.

Airwolf. Dambusters. Hammertime. Thunderstruck. Anything by Slayer. Dwarfs have all the greats.

-T10

TheBearminator
06-02-2014, 11:42
Eh... Are those fantasy models? Both the copter and the cyber dwarf with the loudspeaker over his head. I agree, with the above poster, they belong in 40k. If it wasn't official already that February will be a fantasy month I'd expect these to be the return of the space dwarves.

Wait, maybe Dwarves are the new Deamons? An army for both games? :)

Voss
06-02-2014, 11:49
My current thoughts are that whoever created that model ought to be wired into a Penitent Engine. I do not like it one bit. It just seems silly to me. I liked the previous one, it made sense to me. It actually looked like a viable helicopter, rather than some ridiculous blob-like steampunk... thing. Don't get me wrong, I like steampunk just as much as the next person, but I don't like overly silly steampunk, which I feel this model is. The paint scheme probably doesn't help either.

See, I don't think they look particularly steam-anything. They look like futuristic plastics, more specifically that the Warhammer Dwarfs make futuristic plastics (or have the same supplier as the tau). Where are the cogs and gubbins and, frankly, the metal? Even the rivets appear to be clean plastics on these models, and metal seems reserved for the tiny engine at the base of the rotor and decorative tracings. They're pretty much out of step with the whole line (past and new stuff), even moreso than the old gyrocopter, which is rather absurd in its own right.

DarthSte
06-02-2014, 12:00
I really like it, but won't be buying one. Dwarfs? Pah. ;)

Voodoo1
06-02-2014, 12:45
They are really sticking with "Dwarfs don't use or like wood"

I'm not sure how I feel about them. So far i like the new releases but this one has given me pause.

DeathGlam
06-02-2014, 14:40
I like them both - they really capture the whole "them engineers are an odd breed" feeling.

This is my feeling about them to.

Silver Wolf
06-02-2014, 15:08
I don't like it.

I was really looking forward to start a small dwarf army, but most of the new stuff is not to my liking.
It's not that bad, but it makes me think of growth stunted space marines and feels out of place in WHF.

I like the hammerers and the slayer, though.
Longbeards and Ironbreakers are fine, but they look too much alike. There are no considerable differences between those two.

Montegue
06-02-2014, 15:20
Love em. I'll eventually add them to my current gyros.

Heh. Add pauldrons and everyone starts saying space marines. So bizarre.

Urgat
06-02-2014, 15:29
In between. I honestly just don't know yet if I like them or not.

Lars Porsenna
06-02-2014, 16:15
Voted hate, but I dislike the idea altogether, and the models don't help at all. I never liked the older versions, and refuse to use them in my army (of ol'fashioned traditionalist dwarfs!)

Damon.

Silver Wolf
06-02-2014, 16:35
Heh. Add pauldrons and everyone starts saying space marines. So bizarre.

Well the pauldrons are not that much of a problem.
Sure, they're too big and the dwarf wearing them wouldn't be able to wield his weapons properly and that's a fact. But it's not a deal breaker.

The biggest deal breakers for me are gyrocopter/gyrobomber and Grimm Burlockson (why god?). They look like they beamed down directly from 40k universe.

Craze_b0i
06-02-2014, 17:11
I really like it and have no particular issue with the level of technology. I've always liked the idea that some Dwarf engineers are capable of producing very advanced contraptions and it is Dwarf societies distrust of them that stops them from being widely used. I admit the new design looks a little more 'mass produced' than I'd prefer but that's only going to be an issue if every army includes loads of them and it seems like stocks in the Dwarf aeronautics firm Grudgebus are rocketing

Well for me 'advanced' is a relative concept - you can only work with the technology you have available. Unlike modern copters which run on diesel and internal combustion engines dwarf ones only have access to old fashioned steam power.

To get that kind of lift from steam power, if possible at all given the weight of a steam boiler, the copter frame would have to be pretty darn light - metal plated shells and cockpits would be wholly out of the question.

MarkNorfolk
06-02-2014, 17:17
Well, they must be covered in 'Runes of Flight' or something. This is the Warhammer World, realism takes a back seat.

Cheers
Mark

boli
06-02-2014, 17:19
I love it; its something completely daft you just can't help but smile.

Plus it will *really* open up the movement phase for dwarves whilst still retaining the plodding nature and gunline nature. Its as crazy as a flying chariot - but somehow more appropriate.

theunwantedbeing
06-02-2014, 17:23
Plus it will *really* open up the movement phase for dwarves

Like how the current flying one *really* opens up the movement phase for dwarves?

:rolleyes:

boli
06-02-2014, 17:27
One rare over coated with an ineffectual steam cannon is a bit different to a mobile bomber.

Urgat
06-02-2014, 17:32
To get that kind of lift from steam power, if possible at all given the weight of a steam boiler, the copter frame would have to be pretty darn light - metal plated shells and cockpits would be wholly out of the question.
Ever seen old steam trains? I don't see why we could make a boiler pull a whole fracken train, but dwarfs couldn't make a gyro a quarter the size of a carriage fly.
If FW know what they're doing, they'll finally make that transport gyro I've been dreaming of for years, the whole frame is there, just need to swap the bombs with some rangers :p

Erazmus_M_Wattle
06-02-2014, 18:04
I honestly don't know what people are complaining about. Well I do. It's personal preference obviously. I think they look great. Never once in my hobby career have I ever considered Dwarfs. A lot of the models just put me off. Until I saw the gyro copter. I liked the Longbeards but the Gyrocoptor just sealed the deal. I'd do dwarfs if I had anyone to play against.

I'm afraid I can't agree about the previous incarnation of the model either. It looked absolutely bloody awful and looked like a dingy with a tail and rotor blade. The new one blows it out the sky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Felwether
06-02-2014, 18:14
Well for me 'advanced' is a relative concept - you can only work with the technology you have available. Unlike modern copters which run on diesel and internal combustion engines dwarf ones only have access to old fashioned steam power.

I don't know know why but I'm reasonably certain that Dwarf Gyrocopters run on alcohol powered combustion engines. The bomber seems to have a big fuel tank along the 'spine'.

EDIT: Nevermind... :shifty:

Montegue
06-02-2014, 18:16
If you have a problem with the physics of this crazed dwarf invention, never do the math on a dragons wingspan...

Leogun_91
06-02-2014, 18:32
I accept it, I prefer the look of the old one but it broke enough times to get a new job as terrain so a change is still welcome.

breadbin
06-02-2014, 19:10
I voted love, as I do love the overall design, even if I find it a tad hard to suspend my disbelief regarding their ability to fly.

If I do start this Dwarf army I am planning, I will probably convert them to warballoons and airships, similar to the models from Man O War and Warmaster:

http://chaosorc.com/images/MOW%20Dwarf%20War%20Balloon%20Squadron%20Boxed%20S et.jpg

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76187&d=1260008769

Here is a really quick and dirty mock up of what I am planning (hope Warseer is ok with this, given their rules on posting leaked images...?)

For the bomber, I plan on using a longer airship-style balloon.

Kakapo42
06-02-2014, 19:46
See, I don't think they look particularly steam-anything. They look like futuristic plastics, more specifically that the Warhammer Dwarfs make futuristic plastics (or have the same supplier as the tau). Where are the cogs and gubbins and, frankly, the metal? Even the rivets appear to be clean plastics on these models, and metal seems reserved for the tiny engine at the base of the rotor and decorative tracings. They're pretty much out of step with the whole line (past and new stuff), even moreso than the old gyrocopter, which is rather absurd in its own right.

Yeah the steampunk thing came more I think from the new Engineer model (with the giant cog-furnace back-banner), and how the two gyros sort of remind me of some of the things in Warmachine (which is not in any way meant to be a compliment, I don't like Warmachine's models). So really they're steampunk in the same way those are, which is probably not, but it's the first word that came off the top of my head when thinking how to describe them.

cyberspite
06-02-2014, 20:06
Put me down for a no as well. I can appreciate the quality of the sculpt but the concept is all wrong, I would have much preferred an airship.

Craze_b0i
06-02-2014, 20:41
Ever seen old steam trains? I don't see why we could make a boiler pull a whole fracken train, but dwarfs couldn't make a gyro a quarter the size of a carriage fly.
If FW know what they're doing, they'll finally make that transport gyro I've been dreaming of for years, the whole frame is there, just need to swap the bombs with some rangers :p

Well actually I've driven a steam train. :) And let me say the size and weight of the engine on those things is pretty fracking big. :p And were talking there something that doesn't even leave the ground.

Brother Fenix
06-02-2014, 20:51
As someone mentioned before, it has the rounded chasis of a modern day Boeing 737. The engineers would have to waste a serious amount of time getting a curved frame like that out of metal. None of the other war machines have that kind of appearance. The more boxy one was better, voted hate.

Bugg13
06-02-2014, 21:00
When I first saw it I really didn't like it - it looked too stubby and garish to me. The more I look at it though, the more I like it. The model itself isn't as bad as I first thought and with a different paint scheme I think it'll look quite good. Not quite up to loving it yet, but definitely warming up to it.

innerwolf
06-02-2014, 21:36
If (and only if) the rounded, solid metal front is a separate piece, both models could be saved by sculpting a wooden frame covered in canvas. They could even look very cool.

As they are, they are more 40k than Dwarven.

Voss
07-02-2014, 02:02
As they are, they are more 40k than Dwarven.
Yeah. Honestly if they swapped pilots around, and sold the old 40k starter set Ork Deff Koptas as gyrocopters, and these new things as new Tau flyers, I would barely even blink.
I never really liked the gyrocopter concept, but, yeah. These didn't need to happen. Plastic catapults and/or bolt throwers. Or slayers. Or anything dwarfy, really.

Surgency
07-02-2014, 02:53
It just looks stupid. Worst miniature since the razorgor I think.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Until the next book comes out and has the [i]new[/I ] worst miniature ever

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

MajorWesJanson
07-02-2014, 03:15
I like it. Reminds me of Little Nelly from You Only Live Twice

The bearded one
07-02-2014, 03:44
I'm still getting used to it. I suppose it's growing on me a bit, the bomber more than the other.

Caiphas Cain
07-02-2014, 04:32
Oh my. That is ugly.

m1acca1551
07-02-2014, 05:06
I'm in the love camp... But love tinged with hate... So a hateful love.

The release looks great, the new miniatures are all very nice including the gyrocopter bomber thingo... But I've decided to sell most of my armies and to watch from the side lines rather than actively participate in the hobby.

So that's where the hate comes in, the release has almost made me consider saying once more into the breach, and to have my VC and Dwarfs.

I look to forward to seeing the new stuff and the book :)

Ramius4
07-02-2014, 05:15
Oh my. That is ugly.

That about sums it up.

Sir_Glonojad
07-02-2014, 05:44
I kinda like the bomber, but the design is too futuristic to fit WFB. It's past the steam era even...

Might be gettying one in the future only because I am no longer collecting Dwarfs and thus don't have an army to maintain coherence with ;)

The Odor
07-02-2014, 06:10
I really like it.
Enough that I am actually gonna do dwarves.

Urgat
07-02-2014, 06:29
Well actually I've driven a steam train. :) And let me say the size and weight of the engine on those things is pretty fracking big. :p And were talking there something that doesn't even leave the ground.
But it pulls how many times its weight? I say my comparison is valid, at least enough to lay down the "steam power ain't powerful enough for that pal". I'll just conclude that dwarf steam engines are better than ours, and that's it. And people have been joking about runes of flying or whatever, but why not? So many people woiuld have been fine with runes that make golems alive, so a rune that makes something lighter isn't any more silly in my books.

As someone mentioned before, it has the rounded chasis of a modern day Boeing 737. The engineers would have to waste a serious amount of time getting a curved frame like that out of metal. None of the other war machines have that kind of appearance.

The other warmachines are not curved, that's true. But I don't think all that intricate decoration on them - or on any weapon or piece of armor - is any less shocking, in that case. Dwarfs have always been presented as fastidious perfectionnists... I liked the previous gyrocopter enough, but... it didn't exactly scream "perfectionnist" to me. I see the previous one as the new invention of mad engineer whatever, and now it's passed its whatever hundred years of trial, and we get the engineer-guild-approved gyro, and that one has to look respectable enough. As for waste of time by the way? Steam press :shifty:

Back on my opinion of the gyro. I think I'd build one, I'd cut the lower half of the cockpit, and raise the cannon and whatever's underneath accordingly.

WLBjork
07-02-2014, 06:53
But it pulls how many times its weight? I say my comparison is valid, at least enough to lay down the "steam power ain't powerful enough for that pal". I'll just conclude that dwarf steam engines are better than ours, and that's it. And people have been joking about runes of flying or whatever, but why not? So many people woiuld have been fine with runes that make golems alive, so a rune that makes something lighter isn't any more silly in my books.

To be honest, we don't know how powerful some of the later British locos were because they were limited by the speed and the skill of the fireman.

The most powerful I know from the 30s was Stanier's Princess Coronation (Duchess) class, one of which went uphill overloaded with a good speed - I seem to remember it was rated about 3300hp at the drawbar. And as said, this was with manual firing, and those locos were hungry for coal - who knows what may have been achieved with an auto fireman?

Schmapdi
07-02-2014, 08:28
Overall I dislike it - too future-y looking. Needs to be more rickety and barebones.

A machine that can fly in the Warhammer world is basically in the realm of "miracle" even for dwarves. But going from the old gyro mini to the new version they went straight from version 1 to version 27.

Yowzo
07-02-2014, 09:31
The engineers would have to waste a serious amount of time getting a curved frame like that out of metal.

Well they're dwarfs, they're supposed to be obsessive about each and every detail in their engineering contraptions.

That said, I think fabric over structure would have looked more like it was actually going to fly, like the very early attempts at heavier than air flight.

Dryaktylus
07-02-2014, 19:53
I guess it's rather easy to convert into a small Zeppelin or war balloon. Essentially you just need a bigger plastic egg (or something else) and place the rotors at the back (of the copter or the balloon).

gogs78
07-02-2014, 20:07
Rest of new dwarfs are looking good but this abomination has let the side down badly.

Utterly horrific.

kylek2235
07-02-2014, 20:28
The canary?! I love this thing! Just imagine how many awesome paint jobs you can put on this thing: There's Dr.Robotnik from Sonic the Hedgehog, any of the Angry Birds, Tweetie. It's not a bad model like the Pumpagor, but it does create hilarity. I really can't wait to see how people mess with this thing.

Bugg13
07-02-2014, 21:44
Overall I dislike it - too future-y looking. Needs to be more rickety and barebones.

A machine that can fly in the Warhammer world is basically in the realm of "miracle" even for dwarves. But going from the old gyro mini to the new version they went straight from version 1 to version 27.

Well they've had long enough to develop it. I'd have hoped something would have advanced in the last 8 years...

Nazguire
08-02-2014, 02:10
I think it looks cool. Dwarf tech has always looked slightly goofy. The new models look great, but the old Longbeards and Ironbreakers will forever hold a place in my heart.

tezdal
08-02-2014, 03:37
Looks stupid, but I'm sure the kiddies will love it.

Moon Knight
08-02-2014, 05:36
I would like to see what it looked like if you painted the front carriage in wood paneling - might make it seem a bit more fantasy-ish?

lordfeint
08-02-2014, 07:32
Yeah. Honestly if they swapped pilots around, and sold the old 40k starter set Ork Deff Koptas as gyrocopters, and these new things as new Tau flyers, I would barely even blink.
I never really liked the gyrocopter concept, but, yeah. These didn't need to happen. Plastic catapults and/or bolt throwers. Or slayers. Or anything dwarfy, really.

I like em, but I think I like the idea of converting a Deffkopta more... or maybe even a Dakkjet.

Warlord Gnashgrod
08-02-2014, 07:52
It looks a bit too much like Doctor Robotnik from the sonic games for me.

I'm almost tempted to get one just so I can do that conversion.

Brother Haephestus
08-02-2014, 08:46
I am tickled pink! I am ready to build mine, complete with buxom dwarf lasses and kill markers. Though I intend to paint mine with less color and more like WWII bombers.

Verm1s
08-02-2014, 13:13
It's the most ridiculous, plasticky, and cartoonish thing GW have produced yet, and that's saying something. I thought the stubby 40K marine flyers were bad, and a lot of other GW models can be compared to Fisher-Price, Playmobil preschool toys, but good grief.

I know the daft humour of Warhammer is (or used to be, long ago) one of the draws of the setting, but if there was ever a point the concept of the dwarf gyrocopter needed to die and be forgotten...

CauCaSus
08-02-2014, 13:49
Awesome. But I wonder if you'll be able to field 6 bombers as one of the 1-click deals has them. Maybe via a special character unlock?

Nubl0
08-02-2014, 16:08
I don't mind t, I think I actually like it more for all the nerd rage it's produced.

Dorack
08-02-2014, 16:50
Our crafty engineers at Bugmans are already tinkering with the Gyrobomber, and it is not released yet!

Check this Gyrocopter conversion: http://www.bugmansbrewery.com/topic/42394-about-that-new-gyro-egg/?p=460478

snottlebocket
08-02-2014, 19:28
Absolutely wonderful, this is exactly the kind of goofyness I've been missing from warhammer.

I'd love to see what the gyro bomber looks like with a big balloon instead of rotors.

ashc
08-02-2014, 19:31
personally, I feel it looks more like a submersible than a copter.

MetalOxide
08-02-2014, 19:58
It suffers from looking chibi and far too cartoon-like, probably to appeal to kids. I'm noticing that GW is producing the McDonald's toys and ForgeWorld is producing proper miniatures.

eron12
08-02-2014, 19:58
I'm not a big fan of the gyro-bomber, but it is growing on me. That one at least looks plausible, if futuristic. With the gyrocopter however, I keep asking where the rest of it is? It is unbalanced looking and looks like the front half of a vehicle (which it actually is) rather than a full model in itself.

Rowenstin
08-02-2014, 19:59
I can't think on a single good thing to say about the gyrocopter.

snottlebocket
08-02-2014, 20:40

Looks like the gyro bomber has potential as an airship.

Craze_b0i
08-02-2014, 23:59

Well no more silly than the chicken-chariot I suppose. :p However it's never been stated in previous fluff that gyrocopters use rune-magic to stay airborne, and as far as we know that hasn't been changed.

trotsky
09-02-2014, 03:03
Looks EXACLTY like something from World of Warcraft. So cartoony it hurts. I hate it. It made me a bit unhappy :(

Gerod253
09-02-2014, 04:21
At first I didn't like it. But its' growing on me. I'm not sure I'd use it myself, unless it touched my hobby table and instantly turned Orky. ;) So I can see the appeal.

still-young
09-02-2014, 07:41
I really like it, I think it's awesome. And the gyrocopter is so cute!

Private_SeeD
09-02-2014, 10:36
Is this true, I've been told that, their will be another release wave in a week or two?

Laniston
09-02-2014, 18:29
I really like it, I think it's awesome. And the gyrocopter is so cute!

Yes. Adorable was the word I thought.

WLBjork
10-02-2014, 06:44
Decided that my Gyrocopters will be Gyrobombers with most of the bombs removed. Just looks better proportioned.

N1AK
10-02-2014, 15:17
Decided that my Gyrocopters will be Gyrobombers with most of the bombs removed. Just looks better proportioned.

I'm inclined to do the same based on the pics I've seen so far. Seems better balanced with the longer body and rotor on the back.

Oogie boogie boss
10-02-2014, 15:43
really not a fan. Steam punk cartoony, more like a badly drawn Elf ship than anything Dwarvish. Really not a goer for me.

AstartesEnd
11-02-2014, 22:24
Any ideas for a banner for a simple dwarf warriors squad I've run out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated but I'm going for a ancient rune type of feel.

P.S If u have any ideas plz could u PM me :)

AngryAngel
12-02-2014, 04:33
I may be one of the only people that expects silly with WFB. I actually like the new gyros, will like most that they aren't pewter like the two I've got now, oh the nightmare. I'd gladly have some of the rounded gyros over my own. I'll probably in fact get a few, then a bomber perhaps some of those Shooting Iron breakers and call it a good un for this release. With the book in hand as well, of course.