PDA

View Full Version : I'm excited for the books after dwarves.

fishound7
07-02-2014, 22:08
So...

I'm just saying. I might lose my mind if bretonnia gets a new book. I don't even know how excited I'd be.

The fact that It has been ForEVER since they got a new book really makes it Really crazy and kind of intense. I would probably drop everything and immediately start a bret army. I've always wanted too and I want a challenge from a painting perspective. Which seems a little daunting.

The next book after dwarfs better be Bretonnia, Wood elves, or Beastmen. I have a beast men army which I don't play only because I'm tired of the pigeon holed builds I have to do to compete.

popisdead
07-02-2014, 22:44
Bretonnia just had their 10th birthday for their army book =)

You should go to the Herdstone and learn how to use your Beastmen without pigeon holing yourself too. Great wealth of resources and lots of different builds being successful right now.

Scammel
07-02-2014, 22:48
Bretonnia just had their 10th birthday for their army book =)

You should go to the Herdstone and learn how to use your Beastmen without pigeon holing yourself too. Great wealth of resources and lots of different builds being successful right now.

With all due respect, I tend to frequent the Herdstone a fair bit and... not really, from my experience. Minobuses are potent but any half-competent general will let Frenzy play merry hell with them leaving horde + magic 'spam' (I use inverted commas as Fantasy spam is nowhere near the dire levels of 40k). My Beastmen are pretty demoralising to play with due to just how limited the playstyle is, I typically don't mind losing any game as long as there was something I could have done differently as opposed to running pell-mell across the table every time and, bar trying to get a good Winds roll, hoping for the best.

Ramius4
07-02-2014, 23:09
The next book after dwarfs better be Bretonnia, Wood elves, or Beastmen. I have a beast men army which I don't play only because I'm tired of the pigeon holed builds I have to do to compete.

Wood Elves are coming in May. (this is confirmed by Lion275, a poster with a 100% rumor accuracy so far)

Bretonnians do have some miniatures coming later this year (but no word on whether a new army book is also coming.

Haven't heard anything at all about Beastmen yet.

underscore
07-02-2014, 23:13
Wasn't part of the 40kR 'no 9th Edition in 2014' rumour that all the army books were going to get 8th updates? Which would just leave Woodies, Brets, Beasts and Skaven I think....

Ramius4
07-02-2014, 23:23
Wasn't part of the 40kR 'no 9th Edition in 2014' rumour that all the army books were going to get 8th updates? Which would just leave Woodies, Brets, Beasts and Skaven I think....

That was more of an assumption than a 100% certainty. I do think it is highly likely though.

Scammel
07-02-2014, 23:34
Beasts were slated for 2015 by Hastings, btw.

Smithpod68
08-02-2014, 01:56
Being a long time WE player I cannot wait for may to come. Love what the DE and HE have become. Interested to see what the WE's get.

Archon of Death
08-02-2014, 02:18
Urge to punch everyone if Brets won't be next ~_~.

Zaonite
08-02-2014, 13:19

you'll have to line up behind me :D

I am excited for any new books for Fantasy. It just seems like it's been ages since a Fantasy book release.

Danny76
08-02-2014, 18:42
It wasn't that long ago though.. and was a double month no less..
Still, I agree, we better get those last four non 8th books as the next 4 fantasy releases..
Brets, WE and Beastmen all need improving, and Skaven need bringing down a little =P

Revelen
09-02-2014, 03:51
As a wood elves and Bretonnia guy, I bet I'm among the most eager here....

Archon of Death
09-02-2014, 04:01
Welfs could definitely do with a new AB, and it isn't terribly hard considering the outline is there in two other books. It pains me to put off the Bret release (and it better involve an Army Book or GW is getting my size 13 boot right up...) for anyone, but at the moment the armies that need it the most are my favorite armies, and if Beastmen get core Minos and they are resculpted to not look like rats, I'd possibly consider playing them (Minotaurs are probably my single favorite fantasy creatures that aren't IP). Welfs are just so unloved, someone needs to give them a flower. But Brets... ten years, GW... and a few years back you had me ecstatic that there would be a new release and instead you gave me finecrap.

SteveW
09-02-2014, 06:30
The only books confirmed to me for this year are Wood Elves and Brets. Then possibly a new edition in 2015, then Orcs and Goblins.

Ramius4
09-02-2014, 10:42

I'm a Bret player too. We can punch each other...

Revelen
09-02-2014, 21:12
Bret Kinghts are too chivalrous, is the problem. They need to stop insisting everyone else get theirs first. Enough with the chivalry, already!

SSquirrel
09-02-2014, 23:17
As a Skaven player, kinda sad there aren't even rumors about the next Skaven book. I'm sure some Skaven players are just nervous we will get nerfed, I'm ok w/a bit of rebalancing. Maybe we get some nice bonuses too like Rat Ogres w/regen or an armor save. Who knows.

Archon of Death
10-02-2014, 00:59
I'm a Bret player too. We can punch each other...

Isn't that all we do already...

Hragnar Goreskull
10-02-2014, 01:34
I think I'm most excited at the prospect of having a complete hardcover 8th Ed set of army books!! Hopefully that would be possible and would look quite legendary on my shelf!!!

Revelen
11-02-2014, 01:40
I think I'm most excited at the prospect of having a complete hardcover 8th Ed set of army books!! Hopefully that would be possible and would look quite legendary on my shelf!!!

Wow, do you seriously have all the released 8ths? Jeaaaaalous...

Archon of Death
11-02-2014, 01:53
With 15 armies that's ~750 bucks. Pretty intense. But at 50 bucks every couple months when a new release comes out, that isn't bad at all.

Revelen
11-02-2014, 03:57
Still, GW must love Mr. Goreskull.

Scythe
11-02-2014, 10:48

Same here. As I'm unlikely to buy any new books in a new edition (with the possible exception of the army books of the races I play, provided the new edition is any good), it would be very nice to have a complete edition on the shelves to play with.

Daenerys Targaryen
11-02-2014, 21:09
I'm personally hoping we can get WE's, Brets & Skaven in before 9th hits.

Then after the almost inevitable Orcs & Gobbos getting the first slot for 'shiny new' 9th ed book, the next 3 can be the current biggest problem children:
1. Beastmen who are not only suffering from the "I'm a hybrid 7th/8th wanna be" syndrome, but also got fethed up as the original book author left GW mid project! (and thus forced Mr.Kelly to take-on the task of finishing the job last minute)

2. Tomb Kings who overall simply need to generally have their pts costs dropped across most of the list, plus get some better re-raising synergies out of their own lore.
And of course they're still desperately waiting on most of their Special/Rare section to get kits, while their Core Skellies could really use an update.

3. Daemons of Chaos... Yes, really!
First of all, GW needs to lock Ward in an airless vault since the only thing he's good at is ********** us over! Twice he's tried, twice he's produced a heaping pile of steaming gak!
Second of all, we just need our current book to actually be given a proper finish! Everything is honestly there, we just need our book to not read like a half-arsed version of the 40k book.

Fix those, and outside of a few super durpy magic items/spells/special characters, the balance between the armies is honestly in a really good place!

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
12-02-2014, 03:43
TK are really only missing one kit for a Necrolith Colossus / Hierotitan. And maybe XHW Ushabti...but nobody uses those anyways. S4 attacks...yay... We do really need new skeletons, though honestly the Wargames Factory skeletons are heaps better and a fraction of the price so who really cares.

Beastmen and Wood Elves need a new book so bad, though. Skaven and Brets are both fine but could use a bit of tinkering. It'll be good to see the new books from them. Hopefully that happens this year?

SuperHappyTime
12-02-2014, 03:57
Beastmen and Wood Elves need a new book so bad, though. Skaven and Brets are both fine but could use a bit of tinkering. It'll be good to see the new books from them. Hopefully that happens this year?

Brets and Wood Elves are in desperate need of new stuff. Dwarves were there, but they're getting their update now (and yes, I enjoy most of the new stuff).

Beastmen, My God. I look at this army and have no idea what needs to be done to make this either an attractive army or an exciting to play army. I say this because I have a little bit for every army, but I don't get the least bit excited about the redheaded stepchild of Chaos.

Skaven: Love'em. They may need a few tweeks, but that's it.

Archon of Death
12-02-2014, 04:10
Skaven are NOT in desperate need of a new book. They are sexy as is. Bretonnia has been waiting 10 years, they need it. Beastmen need a new concept (or perhaps and old one). Wood Elves need a new book as much as Bretonnia does. And Tomb Kings need to no longer be screwed.

Lord Cedric
12-02-2014, 05:09
Wow, do you seriously have all the released 8ths? Jeaaaaalous...

I, too, am one like this. 1 have 15 Fantasy armies and all updated books and current models as much as I can. Of course this leads to big armies and an even bigger storage issue. But im proud of my collection. And yes.. I play them all an no they are not all painted. Yet. ;-)

- Lord Cedric

Sent by my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Spiney Norman
12-02-2014, 10:02

I'd be more sympathetic if I didn't play wood elves, I've spent the whole of 8th edition so far at the bottom of the pile while the Bret book has stayed mid-pack functional. But patience is a virtue, I learned that during the 12 year gap between the last Dark Eldar codex and its predecessor...

As far as I am concerned Brets should be second in line behind woodies, demanding a new book just because your current one is old doesn't make a great deal of sense when army updates seem to be a game of Russian roulette these days, just look at the mess they made of Tyranids...

If woodies get their book as rumoured in May there is space for a t least one, possibly two more fantasy books before year end (August and oct/Nov) and if Brets are not first after them I agree it would be a grave injustice.

zunjinto
12-02-2014, 10:38
I hope there is a beastmen book out there somewhere. But its proberly last in the line ( maybe before skaven )

Shadow_Steed
12-02-2014, 11:21
I will check these forums regularly (which I already do) for updates on Bretonnia and Beastmen, and the minute a trustworthy rumour comes, the power-painting begins!

Spiney Norman
12-02-2014, 13:54
I will check these forums regularly (which I already do) for updates on Bretonnia and Beastmen, and the minute a trustworthy rumour comes, the power-painting begins!

I know exactly what you mean, I have 20 Eternal Guard to paint up before May, not to mention a bunch of glade and wild riders and my second treeman

Archon of Death
12-02-2014, 14:08
I'm just hoping GW maintains enough Bret kit for me to order my 5 Bret Battalions

DeathGlam
12-02-2014, 16:19
Im quite excited for the next Bret book whenever it comes, as they are one of those armies, that i have collected a few bits and pieces over the years but never played in full, im hoping for creative inspiration from the next book.

Daenerys Targaryen
12-02-2014, 18:44
TK are really only missing one kit for a Necrolith Colossus / Hierotitan. And maybe XHW Ushabti...but nobody uses those anyways. S4 attacks...yay... We do really need new skeletons, though honestly the Wargames Factory skeletons are heaps better and a fraction of the price so who really cares.

Tomb Kings could really use kits for;
- Tomb King/Prince in fancier chariot, plus added bitz for Settra & Arkhan the Black
- Necrolith/Hieotitan
- Ushabtii with all 3 weapon options + missing command options
- Screaming Skull/Casket of Souls
- Carrion

On top of plastic clam packs for basically their entire character range!
Of the updated armies, the poor dusty ones have the worst model range in terms of it's completeness.

teclis_16
12-02-2014, 19:19
I too look forward to the Wood Elves. They have always been a favorite for me and i sold my army a few years ago for money. At Christmas i purchased a small Wood Elf army again and i look forward to fielding it against my friend who plays Brets.
He greatly anticipates and fears the next book. He knows Trebuchets will either get nerfed or a massive point increase.

Nerd Knight
12-02-2014, 21:37
As a happy-with-the-current-book bret player first off, I hope that the woodies get their book first. Selfishly this means I get to enjoy my army as is for a little longer, but honestly WE need a tweak to work with this edition, whereas I find bretonnia can do fine (not top tier, but I rarely set up against any opponent thinking 'yup i've already lost').

Secondly, if they do bring a new book I sincerely hope they up the cost of the treb! Its a steal, but its also part of what makes Bret's competitive-ish right now. I would love for them to give me a few shiny new units, adjust the points costs across the board, and make it feasible to run a zero warmachine Bret army and win. That's just my hope anyhow.

badguyshaveallthefun
12-02-2014, 23:14
I'm primarily a WoC player, so I'm loving my new book, that being said, my closet love is and always has been Beastmen. They are the true children of Chaos and don't really get the love that they deserve. I just feel like every army I make is the same, and if I try to branch out and try new things disaster occurs.

I can wait for WE to get a book though, I ain't that selfish they need it more.

I just want to field Minotaurs in core again. I don't want to feel like I'm crippling myself by not taking a Beastlord. I want to field RARE choices. I want to see centigors in core without the need of a character (who's admittedly hilarious).

I love the models and there are some some other companies out there that make some amazing beast characters and units, but I just can't work up the motivation these days to paint or play with them... :(