PDA

View Full Version : warhammer models most in need of a new kit

Craze_b0i
08-02-2014, 20:45
Ok I'll start with the armies I collect.

Orcs & Goblins:
Goblin warriors: The proportions on the current models are just hideous, on top of which they don't rank up properly when you build them with shields, oh and there's no hand-weapons option on the sprue.
Squigs: Mostly because the metal ones are so expensive.
Common Trolls: Again the metal ones are expensive, and leaving aside the ugly bfsp model there are only 2 figures.

Dwarfs:
Dwarf Warriors: The sleeveless chainmail just looks weird and unnatural, plus the thick square trim round the edge is just even more weird.
Slayers: the old metals aren't that bad, like squigs it's more an issue with price. so this one is really conditional on the plastic kit being cheaper. by all rights the lack of big bulky armour should allow a new slayer kit to to be cheaper than the new plastic longbeard/hammerers, though ofc GW does not always think that way.
Anvil of Doom: the current model is silly really, by the time the dwarfs have built their platform on the battlefield the battle would be over. sadly I don't think a wheeled war-alter version is viable unless released a the same time as the new book (unless ofc the book includes both options like they did with the 3-wolf chariot in O&G).

Agoz
08-02-2014, 20:54
If the witch elves are any indication, I doubt going from metal to plastic would make squigs or slayers any cheaper :(
I suppose elf spearmen for high and dark elves could use some new models, repeater crossbowmen too.

Mozzamanx
08-02-2014, 20:59
I think Tomb King Skeletons could do with an update, being a 6th Edition kit that was originally designed for a different army. All of the enlarged skulls and ham-hands, random bits of chestplate and abundance of axes really don't really fit Nehekhara.

huitzilopochtli
08-02-2014, 21:02
Wood elves:
Plastics to replace the metals. They're still nice models despite their age, but a pain to work with, especially when they make up so much of the army. New eternal guard, wild riders, wardancers, waywatchers (well, maybe not waywatchers), and warhawks would give the army the revamp appeal it needs to back up the new book. That's the only thing putting me off them at the moment, and I look forward to seeing what happens with their release.

Vampire Counts:
Blood knights - these are gorgeous model but unfortunately very expensive and finecast. Some plastic ones more reasonably priced and I'd have 10.
EDIT - and the black coach, which is not only expensive, but horrible.

Kakapo42
08-02-2014, 21:03
Wood Elves:

-Spellweaver/Spellsinger: I'm not really a big fan of the shot up 'super-saiyan' style hair the female ones have. Not that it's a terrible problem, since I'm converting my own, but if I had to pick something from the Wood Elf range this would be it.

-Nothing: aside from the above point I think the Wood Elf range is incredible, and wouldn't change a thing.

Dwarfs:

- The Gyrocopter: I want the older style back.

Vampire Counts:

- the male Vampire Lord on foot: I think the mounted ones and the female one on foot are fine, and really there isn't that much wrong with the winged one (from an objective standpoint, I personally don't like it much), but I think there should be an option for a male non-winged Vampire on foot without resorting to converting one. It's nice to have choices sometimes.

Aside from that I'm pretty content with the Warhammer range. I think there's definitely room for improvement amongst a lot of the newer kits, but I really like the older ones, so I'm happy with them.

shelfunit.
08-02-2014, 21:47
TK skeletons, Skaven night runners, goblin/night goblin warriors, Empire state troops, HE spearmen/archers, Dwarf warriors, chaos marauders. All a combination of giganto-hands/heads, and pretty much all a downgrade on what went before.

Maclav
08-02-2014, 23:46
All of Bret's non-core are metal and fincrap and in desperate need of something. Particularly the damsels, which have to be the ugliest models on the planet.

childsoldier
09-02-2014, 02:32
Even though the new update was absolutely fantastic, I'm going to be greedy and say Harpies for DE. Although I do feel (and rather enjoy, being a Druchii) my mate's pain at the state of the HE Core choices, all of which are just not really up to scratch anymore. TK skellies could certainly use some VC-esque treatment, and I'd love to see what they could do with a new Zombies kit. For my scaled mate some new Kroxigor would be quite nice, as would some badass Cold One cav to replace the pretty goofy current ones. Those are the only ones I can think of off hand, but I haven't encountered a huge amount of armies since my group's only just getting into Fantasy.

Verm1s
09-02-2014, 02:37
- The Gyrocopter

:angel: ;)

Night runners. And rat ogres. And high elf spearmen and archers. And C11 halflings...

SteveW
09-02-2014, 07:41
All Tomb Kings core. The quality of the Tomb Guard is so much higher than the core skellies that they look weird on the table together.

zoggin-eck
09-02-2014, 09:27
Goblin warriors: The proportions on the current models are just hideous, on top of which they don't rank up properly when you build them with shields, oh and there's no hand-weapons option on the sprue.
Squigs: Mostly because the metal ones are so expensive.
Common Trolls: Again the metal ones are expensive, and leaving aside the ugly bfsp model there are only 2 figures.

Goblins and related wolf rider set are long overdue. That they didn't replace them when they made the night goblins a decent size/height still surprises me.

Assuming the squigs would work out cheaper is madness, but a plastic set could be good fun, and for once their obsession with "dual" kits would make sense, making riders the second option.

Troll I think are the last thing GW need to spend time on, since there are so many alternatives out there already! Every company makes at least a few troll models.

I suppose elf spearmen for high and dark elves could use some new models, repeater crossbowmen too.

What, like the spear/sword/crossbow set they released a couple of months ago? Or are you saying the new ones are pants? :D

...goblin/night goblin warriors...

Different strokes I guess. I hate the common goblins, but love the current night goblin (and skull pass) set. I thought they finally got the ratio and height just right. Some crazy hands still, but that's how the majority of Citadel's goblins have been.

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
09-02-2014, 09:29
TK skellies are AWFUL, but luckily we have Wargames Factory making cheap, awesome skeletons for our use. I'd say that there are other models within our range that could use a redo, but I'd rather see the models we're missing get a kit (<cough> hierotitan </cough>).

Within other armies, the lizardmen cold one riders are awful. Brets need a general refresh as well.

shelfunit.
09-02-2014, 10:13
Different strokes I guess. I hate the common goblins, but love the current night goblin (and skull pass) set. I thought they finally got the ratio and height just right. Some crazy hands still, but that's how the majority of Citadel's goblins have been.

Aaahhh - apologies - I had not noticed they were different to the common gobbos. I loved the Skull pass NGs, but for some reason thought the normal box NGs were vastly different.

Importman
09-02-2014, 10:27
Goblins. Please they are horrible and really outdated. And they have so much potential too.

Then stone and common trolls compared to those fantastic river trolls in plastic.

Common Orcs need a revamp too. But only after they have done goblins and trolls.

All those skeletons are horrible too.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Lorcryst
09-02-2014, 11:28
Have to agree with the Common Goblins and Wolf Riders needing a redo ... perhaps even the Wolf Chariot, but that one is quite fun ...

BTW, the Squigs (Hoppers and Herds) are now in FineCast, so I don't see a remake in the (even distant) future for them.

I've grown to like the HE Spearmen and Archers, simply painting the "huge hands" as leather gloves go a long way to make them better.

Common and Stone Trolls in plastic could be good, but I really love the current metal Stone Trolls, even went so far as to hunt a couple of older models in the same style on eBay ... got 4 of them currently, only need the two "Direct Only" models for my planned unit of 6. Same thing with the Common Trolls, only two poses, but they look fine IMHO, and they go really well alongside the BfSP one, planning two units of three, only need a last one with big stone hammer.

Finally, Minotaurs ... I'm kinda lucky to have 6 of the old metals, a very old standard bearer and the previous version of the Doom Bull, but the current plastic are ... horrible ... they look more like overgrown rats that minotaurs, even the Skaven Rat Ogre (much maligned) are leagues better than those.

Just my two cents ...

zoggin-eck
09-02-2014, 11:53
Aaahhh - apologies - I had not noticed they were different to the common gobbos. I loved the Skull pass NGs, but for some reason thought the normal box NGs were vastly different.

Haha, all good. Unless you really want the netters, I don't see why anyone would buy it when so many Skull Pass ones are still kicking around. They make good Blood Bowl conversions, I've seen.

Odin
09-02-2014, 12:01

Er, new Dark Elf spearmen and repeater crossbowmen? The current models are about 6 months old, I can't see them being replaced for a while! ;)

Craze_b0i
09-02-2014, 13:50
Assuming the squigs would work out cheaper is madness,
Well we all live in hope don't we. ;) A plastic night goblin is roughly 1 each. reasonably you'd think a plastic night goblin squig handler would be similar. certainly not 3 a head as at present. But yeh I know, probably just wishful thinking. I know that nowadays people often convert the handler from NG spearmen.

Troll I think are the last thing GW need to spend time on, since there are so many alternatives out there already! Every company makes at least a few troll models.

Alternatives like whom? On Mantic trolls the spindly legs are way out of proportion to the top half of the body, which in my view just looks silly. As to Gamezone their trolls are barely cheaper than GW and the neanderthal-caveman look is not something I personally am keen on anyhow. Believe me if I could find a good alternative model out there I would definitely buy them.

damienhell
09-02-2014, 14:31
Dark elves just got a new kit for their spear and crossbow.
I agree we need a new harpy model, also dark pegasus model. Else we got shafted likke the tyrannids, gw remove few model from their codex because they had been made by 3rd party company.

Kahadras
09-02-2014, 15:03
Dire Wolves and Zombies for VC as they are just so bad. High Elves could do with new Archers/Spearmen but they can get by with the Lothern Sea Guard models

I'd also say that Witch Elves need a new kit. If I'm going to pay 35 for ten they better be the best minatures that GW have ever produced. :shifty:

Sqallum
09-02-2014, 17:35
Skeleton Warriors for Tomb Kings. They are murder to put together.
Kroxigor - I really don't like their models.

DeathGlam
09-02-2014, 21:14
High Elf Spearmen/Archers the lack of these has made me decide to start a DE(love the new models) army over HE.

Zombies, again if GW released new figures as good as im sure they would be, id be all over starting VC.

Common Goblins, not for me but i know two local players who would chuck a lot of money at GW for an army of CG in the same size and style as the NG, one of them has been praying for them since the last NG plastics got released.

Wesser
09-02-2014, 21:46
Zombies.... those bitz would be needed for so much...and considering the Corpse Cart they basically have the mould already..

Empire knights... between Demigryph Knights and Luminark the Whole model basically exist if you want to...but GW don't..

The Above examples are why GW isn't a Company, but a bunch of random people WHO don't know their own products, market or customers.. Pah

Fist-of-Doom HE spearmen could also be up for a new kit and VC Dire Wolves doesn't resemble anything at al...animated Chaos Spawn maybe?

Vulgarsty
09-02-2014, 21:58
.....everyting in finecast. Truly awful, brittle rubbbish. They should have stuck with metal until they could have made the plastic jump seamlessly. Still they think they saved a bunch of cash, but after a brief try of finecast, I've just spent the 500 quid or theabouts they would have got from me in the past year or so hunting down metals from ebay - and I know I am far from alone. If I was a GW shareholder I'd want the board's heads....not that I'd expect to find any brains in them. Those incompetents couldn't run a ****-up in Bugman's. Still I take comfort that for all their litigous nature (trying to copyright 1930's Spacemarine" anyone) GW will be eaten alive by 3d printing in a way that'll make mp3s look like a joke.

Darnok
09-02-2014, 22:26
While VC have some really nice models, I'd love to see new versions of the following sooner rather than later:

bat swarms
spirit hosts
giant bats
wraiths

All of these, with the exception of the wraiths, only have old models in Finecast. And they have aged really badly. There is a new wraith model in plastic, and it is nice, but it is only a single sculpt - and I'm really not a fan of clone troops.

P.S.: I'd also like to see a new zombie kit - even though they'd have to beat Mantic in both price and quality. But the current GW zombies are horrible.

Karak Norn Clansman
09-02-2014, 22:39
While VC have some really nice models, I'd love to see new versions of the following sooner rather than later:

bat swarms
spirit hosts
giant bats
wraiths

All of these, with the exception of the wraiths, only have old models in Finecast. And they have aged really badly. There is a new wraith model in plastic, and it is nice, but it is only a single sculpt - and I'm really not a fan of clone troops.

P.S.: I'd also like to see a new zombie kit - even though they'd have to beat Mantic in both price and quality. But the current GW zombies are horrible.

I'll agree with that.

Furthermore, Tomb Kings Carrion are awful miniatures where it's hard to make out anything at all. New skeletons with correct proportions would also be nice for TK.

Empire State Troops ought to be replaced to improve the whole range.

The 6th edition High Elf plastics (minus the Bolt Thrower) need an update to improve the whole range.

Common Goblins and their Wolf Riders could do with an update, but mainly to get them in line with the reasonably sized Night and Forest Goblins already in the range.

Bloodknight
09-02-2014, 22:59
TK skeletons. Worst core models in the game left, IMO. The didn't even look very fresh in 2003 and the gothic undead look mixed with way too few Khemri hand weapons just didn't do it the first time around; they should really have released new ones instead of introducing silly snake surfers when the new book was published.
In combination with 8th edition rules, the terrible skeletons and the idea that I would have had to buy, build and paint another 60ish models to bring my 25 HW/S, 25 Spear/shield and 20 archers to playable sizes for 8th made me actually sell off my 4000 Points of painted TK. I didn't see the point in having the army sitting around, gathering dust, because the terribly ugly core models put me off collecting the army further although I really liked the fluff and many of the models (ok, the liche priests were terrible, too). Together with the loss of the Dogs of War as an army, I decided WFB just wasn't worth it for me anymore. Sad, really.

Lord Dan
09-02-2014, 23:03
Skaven Night Runners.

If this isn't on your list you're wrong. :p

lybban
10-02-2014, 07:38
Zombies. Apparently the hands are the only parts of your body that grow after you die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrWilhelm
10-02-2014, 08:01
Just sticking to the armies I actually collect I can't name anything from the Ogre Kingdoms, but Skaven? Hoo boy. Night Runners are the obvious choice, those guys look more like demented chimps than the sleek, stealthy killers they ought to be. Rat Ogres come in a close second. I actually thought they looked kinda decent until I put together my own pair, but now? Yeesh. A new Grey Seer would be a real god send too. The current ones on foot are terribly outdated unless you're willing to convert the one from the Screaming Bell kit. Admittedly that isn't the hardest of conversions to pull off but it's still a real pain, especially if you aren't interested in a plague furnace. Then there's all the fine cast weapon crews, the plague censers, the globadiers, plus the jezzails could use a plastic kit if only to knock the price on them down a notch.

frenka
10-02-2014, 08:32
How come no one has mentioned barefoot-giantmonkeyface statetroops for the Empire? :D

Evil Hypnotist
10-02-2014, 08:54
Chaos Ogres, even the guy who sculpted these must hate them ;)

JWH
10-02-2014, 09:04
- Dwarf Grudge thrower and bolt thrower.....just aweful models.
- As said, goblins and TK skellies.
- Lizardmen CO riders...horrible and an insult compared to the dark elf ones.
- Empire state troops: not because they are ugly, but because I don't know why some of the best trained troops in the empire would walk around without shoes...

Korinov
10-02-2014, 09:53
How come no one has mentioned barefoot-giantmonkeyface statetroops for the Empire? :D

I think nobody wants to remember them :D holy cow, they are ugly.

zunjinto
10-02-2014, 10:11
For beastmen ( and DE ) the harpies really need new modells

Quetzl
10-02-2014, 10:36
Interesting topic, lets have a think.

Bretonnia - Not worth mentioning as they're either being dumped or completely re-done

Beastmen - Tuskgor Chariot, Razorgor Chariot, Centigors, Harpies, Razorgors

Daemons of Chaos - Greater Daemons, Beasts of Nurgle, Seekers of Slaanesh, Flesh Hounds, Furies

Dark Elves - Harpies, Pegasus, Manticore

Dwarfs - Not worth mentioning as we don't know what's being released yet

Empire - Knightly Order (Maybe State Troops but I don't have a problem with them)

High Elves - Spearmen, Silver Helms, Ellyrian Reavers, Swordmasters, Archers (I know some of these are in the IoB but it would be nice to have them on their own)

Lizardmen - Kroxigor, Cold One Cav, Razordon/Salamander

Ogre Kingdoms - None

Orcs & Goblins - Goblins, Wolf Riders, Pump Wagon, Arrer Boys, Squig Hoppers, Squig Herd, Wyvern, Goblin Chariot, Boar Chariot, All War-machines, Stone/Vanilla Trolls.

Skaven - Rat Ogres, Plague Monks, Warplock Jezzails, Weapons Teams, Night Runners, Gutter Runners, Censer Bearers, Poisoned Wind Globadiers, Bonebreaker/Carried to battle thing

Tomb Kings - Skeletons, Chariots, Skeleton Cavalry, Colossus, Giant Hierophant, Screaming Skull Catapult, Carrion, Tomb Scorpion

Vampire Counts - Fell Bats, Bat Swarms, Abyssal Terror, Spirit Host, Blood Knights, Black Coach

Warriors of Chaos - Chosen, Chaos Ogres, Chaos Trolls, Dragon Ogre Shaggoth, Marauders, Dragon

Wood Elves - Not worth mentioning as they're in the pipeline

lybban
10-02-2014, 12:29
Chaos Ogres, even the guy who sculpted these must hate them ;)

YES those are by far the worst models ever released by citadel. Zombies look like supermodels next to those godawful abomimations.

Mozzamanx
10-02-2014, 12:38
YES those are by far the worst models ever released by citadel.

That's a very bold claim to make... (http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/tg/image/1349/27/1349275652001.gif)

Jade_Dragon
10-02-2014, 12:46
Blood knights - these are gorgeous model but unfortunately very expensive and finecast. Some plastic ones more reasonably priced and I'd have 10.

This. I'd buy an entire army if they made them plastic.

Darnok
10-02-2014, 12:46
That's a very bold claim to make... (http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/tg/image/1349/27/1349275652001.gif)

But those got redone, and their current kit is great.

warhammerscotlandplayer
10-02-2014, 13:26
Most of the High Elves Core need an upgrade, they are ok imo, but they are 'fat' compared to the sleek White Lions etc.

Archers heads are massive compared tot he spearmen helms. The Silver helms are in defenate need of upgrade, especially the steeds.

Vipoid
10-02-2014, 13:46
Well, for Vampire Counts:

- Zombies
- Winged Vampire (I always assumed this was a test to see how idiotic they could make a vampire look, without adding glitter.)
- Blood Knights (I pay how much for 5 of them?)
- Black Coach (As if being confined to a coffin wasn't bad enough.)
- Spirit Hosts (Tell Scrooge we said 'hi'.)
- Fell Bats (I wonder which radio stations their noses can receive...)
- Bat Swarms (At least two of these things seem to have been interrupted whilst attempting to eat a piano-keyboard. Are we sure that these are all vampire bats and not, I don't know, rejected villains from Oscar's Orchestra (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2DedPxvxfQ) or something?)

Captain Collius
10-02-2014, 14:02
High elf Spearmen, Archers and silver helms.all have some ridiculous going on

Craze_b0i
10-02-2014, 14:25

Nagash was worse than both of them.

lybban
10-02-2014, 14:55
But nagash hasnt been available to buy for a loooong time. The horrible ogres still are. Unfortunately.

But there is new stuff that hurt the eyes like acid. Scylla enfangrimm springs to mind. Looks like something made by some moderately talented pupil at high school art class

Vipoid
10-02-2014, 15:08
But there is new stuff that hurt the eyes like acid. Scylla enfangrimm springs to mind. Looks like something made by some moderately talented pupil at high school art class

And, just when I thought GW had dropped the whole 'evil is spiky' thing...

Makaber
10-02-2014, 15:13
Okay, for the armies I own and still intend to play at some stage, we have:

Orcs & Goblins: New Goblins. The kit was allright for its time, I guess, but they're just way too big now and their age is really starting to show. The wolves are especially bad. Also, I loathe the Orc character kit. The heads look weird, the weapons are silly, and they are smaller than regular Orcs. Smaller, damnit! A clampack Orc Warboss would be wonderful.

Tomb Kings: I've shelved my Tomb Kings until I get a new Skeleton kit. The current one is just utterly unworkable. It is, by far, the worst models currently for sale. A relic of a dark age of miniatures: All the cons of early plastic kits, none of the charm of true vintage models. Disproportionate, meaningless poses, weapons clearly intended for a completely different theme. The archers are the worst, they're impossible to pose in a plausible manner, and they're all left handed for some bizarre reason. I'm getting angry just typing this.

Beastmen: A good Tuskgor Chariot with Razorgor Chariot option would replace the frankly ancient Chariot kit and provide a good looking Razorgor model in one beautiful swoop. The Harpies really need new models.

lybban
10-02-2014, 17:57
I totally forgot the pumbagor. How the hell did anyone get drunk enough to sculpt that?

Mr. Ultra
10-02-2014, 18:04
Tomb King skellies, including warriors, archers, horsemen and chariots, but specially basic skeletons. The dreadfulness of that ancient kit is what keeps me away from starting a Tomb Kings army.

Urgat
10-02-2014, 18:07
Well, I'd say, most of the 5th ed plastics need to be redone. Other than that, the horrible chaos ogres and trolls, and then the sabretusks and gorgers. The yethees are not too great either, but compared to the gorgers, they're godly. Then there's the old VC stuff like the bats of all ilks.

Mr. Ultra
10-02-2014, 18:47
Well, I'd say, most of the 5th ed plastics need to be redone. Other than that, the horrible chaos ogres and trolls, and then the sabretusks and gorgers. The yethees are not too great either, but compared to the gorgers, they're godly. Then there's the old VC stuff like the bats of all ilks.

Aside from the TK skeletons, which are a 5th ed kit with 6th ed additional sprues, what 5th ed kits remains on sale?

Odin
10-02-2014, 19:09
- Winged Vampire (I always assumed this was a test to see how idiotic they could make a vampire look, without adding glitter.)

Really? That model made me want to collect a VC army! It's vastly better than Vlad, Konrad and Mannfred.

Craze_b0i
10-02-2014, 19:22
Aside from the TK skeletons, which are a 5th ed kit with 6th ed additional sprues, what 5th ed kits remains on sale?

I think he means 6th ed. The plastic orcs and goblins and so forth.

Urgat
10-02-2014, 19:22
Goblins and co were released towards the end of 5th ed if I'm not mistaken. If I am, just replace 5th with early 6th and we're set.
edit: ninja'ed. Guess I was wrong, can't be bothered to check, but everybody knows which kits I mean anyway.

lybban
10-02-2014, 20:14
Really? That model made me want to collect a VC army! It's vastly better than Vlad, Konrad and Mannfred.

Me too. Its really cool!

Wesser
11-02-2014, 07:16
But nagash hasnt been available to buy for a loooong time. The horrible ogres still are. Unfortunately.

I think Galrauch is still current..... the most horrific lumb of metal created

zoggin-eck
11-02-2014, 09:49
I think he means 6th ed. The plastic orcs and goblins and so forth.

I thought he meant that the skeletons themselves are 5th (which they are and had three releases, one with metal parts for vampire command, khemri command and the plastic goblin/skaven/skeleton command) with 6th edition (the Tomb Kings parts) bits added to it. Makes a bad kit even worse, with the big skeletons having the non-Tomb Kings looking armour strapped to every fourth torso.

I guess the night runners and militia are both honarary 5th releases, being repackaged Mordheim kits.

thormon
11-02-2014, 10:23
The barded warhorse. Those models must be meanwhile 20 years old, and completely horrible compared to all the other horses available.
And some of the Dwarf artillery, grudgethrower, gyrocopter, cannon. The crewmen are okay , the machines not.

Urgat
11-02-2014, 11:36
The barded warhorse. Those models must be meanwhile 20 years old, and completely horrible compared to all the other horses available.

Honestly, I don't find them so bad. Of course, compared to those from the luminarch kit, they're quite aged, but I don't find them horrible. In fact, I more or less think the same of the wolves (not the riders, the mounts), the sculpts themselves are actually good enough. those still need to be changed, but more because of their pose than the sculpts themselves.

Vipoid
11-02-2014, 12:09

Really? Each to his own I guess. To me it just looks silly.

Still, I guess if you paint an emblem on his wing you can have a novel BSB. ;)

Mr. Ultra
11-02-2014, 12:16
Honestly, I don't find them so bad. Of course, compared to those from the luminarch kit, they're quite aged, but I don't find them horrible. In fact, I more or less think the same of the wolves (not the riders, the mounts), the sculpts themselves are actually good enough. those still need to be changed, but more because of their pose than the sculpts themselves.

I agree. It's quite surprising to see how 20+ years old beast models like the wolves, the barded horses and the skelleton horses are still good, and some of the most recent like the Lizardmen Old Ones are crappy examples of goofyness and lazy sculpting.

Verm1s
11-02-2014, 15:03
In fact, I more or less think the same of the wolves (not the riders, the mounts), the sculpts themselves are actually good enough.

What, these? (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440079a&prodId=prod840911) These wolves? These swaybacked stumpy-legged gill-pig-faced the-little-terrier-from-that-Bretonnian-kit-looks-more-like-a-wolf-than-these mutants? These?

Spiney Norman
11-02-2014, 15:39
My top list would be, in order of necessity

1. Common goblins/wolf riders/artillery
2. High elf Spearmen and archers
3. Empire Knightly orders
4. Common Orcs
5. Empire State troops
6. Tomb King skeleton infantry & cavalry

I think everything else holds up pretty well IMHO.

Urgat
11-02-2014, 17:09
What, these? (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440079a&prodId=prod840911) These wolves? These swaybacked stumpy-legged gill-pig-faced the-little-terrier-from-that-Bretonnian-kit-looks-more-like-a-wolf-than-these mutants? These?
Beauty's in the eye of the beholder, pal.

Craze_b0i
11-02-2014, 17:38
My top list would be, in order of necessity

1. Common goblins/wolf riders/artillery
2. High elf Spearmen and archers
3. Empire Knightly orders
4. Common Orcs
5. Empire State troops
6. Tomb King skeleton infantry & cavalry

I think everything else holds up pretty well IMHO.

I think the orc warboss kit needs attention before common orcs. The warboss is smaller than his own followers. Also the standing pose of the war boar is incompatible with the new charging-pose boar boyz.

*Though on the other hand I guess you can just buy an orc nob off ebay and convert him.

beerbeard
11-02-2014, 20:09
Silver Helms. The horses look like they belong on a carousel, and the riders are virtually identical. And they look so sad next to the spectacular Dragon Princes.

lowlylowlycook
16-02-2014, 05:30
Well my history with WHFB is basically this:

1)Paint Unity
2)Decide to paint Orc Boys next
3)Quit Hobby in disgust
4)After some time come back to hobby and start at 1 again.

So I'm going to have to go with Orc Boys.

Now I'm trying to plan and High Elf army and I agree that the Spears, Archer and Silverhelms could be better. And given my past history I don't really want to buy mini's I'm unhappy with.

Voss
16-02-2014, 06:08
Wood Elves:

-Spellweaver/Spellsinger: I'm not really a big fan of the shot up 'super-saiyan' style hair the female ones have. Not that it's a terrible problem, since I'm converting my own, but if I had to pick something from the Wood Elf range this would be it.

-Nothing: aside from the above point I think the Wood Elf range is incredible, and wouldn't change a thing.
Huh. I'd gut the ogre-sized wooden tyranids and the bird surfers for sure. Also the wild riders are a bit naff, the stag-cow is something of abomination.

Random things from various armies:
common gobbos & wolf riders
squigs (because... ugh.. Balls of teeth with legs on don't have to look that stupid)
standard orcs
pumpwagons

high elf core

tomb kings skeletons

night runners (still monkey-rats)

chaos marauders
chaos ogres

Then stone and common trolls compared to those fantastic river trolls in plastic.

Going to disagree with this. I didn't like the river troll kit. Far too limited, bulky, finicky and busy, with lots of gap filling and poor fits. The metal stone trolls are much more characterful and interesting models.

daftpunkevo
16-02-2014, 06:35
70% of the whole warhammer range, no.. basicly all the warhammer range bar the NEW dark elf, and the NEW dwarf, can be redone twice better (at least) than it is now, GW have so much profit, they have no excuses for something like the 20+ years old greater deamon......
When some guys have done greater deamon twice in 5 years...

Also when you see scales on this (http://www.creaturecaster.com/products/emperordragon) vs this one (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/AlternativeFW/xlarge/carmine-dragon8.jpg) or that chicken (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m490939_99120210011_HighElvesMageDragonMain_873x62 7.jpg) Guess which one is made by 5 man in a garage with 3d printer and which one is made by the most important and profitable multinational company of wargaming.....

also : i've never NEVER in 15 years buy any miniatures others than gw one but this might change, and fast, if gw don't move. I mean its not like they didn't have time to resculpt greater deamon in 20 years... and the melting of the stock will cost like what : 5K maximum ? whats 5k for a company that have millions and millions of profit each year... (and come on, i saw the report of 2013, like most of you, and even if they won less money this year, then win more than enough money to keep both game... when gw is in a bad years they still make 20 times what privateer press make, and privateer press do not want to stop warmachine at all.

danupata
16-02-2014, 07:10
Bretonian Grail & questing knights, grail reliquae, yeomans
Dark Elves Manticore, harpies, bolt thrower
High Elves, Reavers, spearmen, archers

Vipoid
16-02-2014, 10:30
Also when you see scales on this (http://www.creaturecaster.com/products/emperordragon) vs this one (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/AlternativeFW/xlarge/carmine-dragon8.jpg) or that chicken (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m490939_99120210011_HighElvesMageDragonMain_873x62 7.jpg) Guess which one is made by 5 man in a garage with 3d printer and which one is made by the most important and profitable multinational company of wargaming.....

Yeah, I've never liked the design of the HE dragons. I don't know if they're trying to make them look different to the evil dragons, but to me they just look silly. It's like an elf has taken the corpse of a dragon and tried to turn it into a glider.

SpanielBear
16-02-2014, 10:38
Yeah, I've never liked the design of the HE dragons. I don't know if they're trying to make them look different to the evil dragons, but to me they just look silly. It's like an elf has taken the corpse of a dragon and tried to turn it into a glider.

And wonders why the rest of the Dragon Princes won't talk to him anymore.

Acephale
16-02-2014, 10:42
Plague Monks. And Warplock Jezzails. And Poison Wind Globadiers, and Plague Censer Bearers. And Rat Ogres. And basically all Eshin troops. I really dislike the old "dog-like" Skaven sculpts, especially compared to how awesome the newer ones are.

Gorthaur
16-02-2014, 18:32
Skaven need some work: gutter runnsers are awful, so are the rat ogres. They still dont have any plastic hq models like the other armies. Need new wind globadiers, jezzails, a new thanquol kit. They dont really need any centerpiece models, as the HPA kinda fits the role.

lybban
16-02-2014, 18:54
And the Bell/furnace. And the catapult. And the doomwheel. And the...

Darnok
16-02-2014, 20:05
I think most of the Skaven range is in a great shape. They have some stinkers though. Night Runners are horribly old, and I'd love to see new Plague Monks sooner rather than later. There is also a really odd discrepancy between the normal Rat Ogres (ugly) and the ones from IoB (excellent) - I hope they get a new kit in the IoB style.

Verm1s
17-02-2014, 00:08
Also when you see scales on this (http://www.creaturecaster.com/products/emperordragon) vs this one (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/AlternativeFW/xlarge/carmine-dragon8.jpg) or that chicken (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m490939_99120210011_HighElvesMageDragonMain_873x62 7.jpg) Guess which one is made by 5 man in a garage with 3d printer and which one is made by the most important and profitable multinational company of wargaming...

The first looks like someone glued roof tiles all over and then took a baseball bat to it. ('Scales' in a non-GW fantasy sculptor's mind almost always translates into 'large thick rigid shields tightly overlapping over the entire body') But... yeah. Still preferable to the crazy-paving/gravel of the latter two. Both Trish Carden's, IIRC. Games Workshop's go-to large monster sculptor for ages and still head dragon/big reptile sculptor, whose fairly crude knowledge of anatomy hasn't progressed very much since the eighties.

That said...

I have a vague kind of fondness for it since it's a homage to the old Dragonmaster (http://solegends.com/citcat88/0804dragons.htm) dragon (http://the-lost-and-the-damned.664610.n2.nabble.com/file/n6491148/dragon_master.jpg). Still available until recently under the Warhammer Collectors range. Despite the huumongous buck teeth (and the roof tiles :shifty: ) it's a classic Nick Bibby and worthy of respect.

Changing the subject, I heard a redshirt describe this (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440036a&prodId=prod1710028a) back when the original metal was released. I believe the term he used was 'swamp donkey'.
I read the TV Tropes page on unicorns recently - I won't link it or you'll lose several years, Forever War style, but I read the Warhammer entry: "Breton[n]ians and High Elves have been shown using more familiar Unicorns." I larfed.

Acephale
17-02-2014, 06:23
And the Bell/furnace. And the catapult. And the doomwheel. And the...

Yeah, GIVE ME MOAR!!!!11

Seriously though, those models are all fine, as are most of the Skaven models. They just need to phase out some of the old sculpts - and preferably make stuff like Rat Ogres and Night Runners worthwhile gameplay-wise while they're at it. I'm hoping that the next Skaven book will promote more mono-clan lists, that would be great.

Schmapdi
17-02-2014, 08:08
Yes - Skaven need everything that wasn't produced in their big revamp redone still. There is no bigger gap in a single army than the quality gap between the excellent new Skaven stuff and the terrible, terrible old Skaven monkey-rat models.

Things like night runners/gutter runners/weapons teams/most HQ models/Rat Ogres/etc all need revision.

Rakariel
17-02-2014, 09:01
My list would be something like this:

Daemons: Furies, Fiends (I am using FW Plague Toads as my Beasts of Nurgle therefore those aren`t on my list)
High Elves: Spearmen, Silver Helms, Archers
Lizardmen: Salamanders, Cold One Cav
O&G: Goblins, Goblin Wolf Riders
Skaven: Gutter Runners/Night Runners, Plague Censor Bearers
Empire: Knightly Orders
Tomb Kings: Skeleton Archers, Skeleton Warriors, Skeleton Horsemen, Chariots
Vampire Counts: Black Coach, FellBats, Batswarm
WoC: Chaos Ogres, Chaos Trolls
Wood Elves: Treekin, Treeman

Looking at my list the most important for me would be the TK units as they are all core choices and are essentially keeping me from building a TK force.

Le Monkey Face
17-02-2014, 09:03
Snotlings. Some of them are almost 30 years old

Urgat
17-02-2014, 11:51
But they're still great, I'm fine with them staying.

ShruikhanTK
17-02-2014, 16:56
I've actually converted Tomb King Skeletons out of VC ones using TK shields and bows. They came out very nice. I'll upload a pic here if I can figure out how to do this on here...

I would like to see a Necrolith Colossus/Hierotitan Dual kit already, Tomb Kings have been out for a few years now. New plastic HE core, New Empire knights kit...I own 16 and havent painted a drop on them they are so ugly.

Edit: OK I got it, the skeleton warriors are far off to the left, and the skeleton bowmen are way in the back right. You can tell they're VC skellies if you look closely, I kinda knew GW wouldn't invest in new skellies so I made my own.

Paleo
17-02-2014, 18:45
DEs could really use some updated Harpies and a new Bolt Thrower. Malekith could really use a new model too, the Dark Lord should be intimidating and not look so stumpy.....Also the dragon he rides on looks horrible.

Darnok
18-02-2014, 11:01

Edit: OK I got it, the skeleton warriors are far off to the left, and the skeleton bowmen are way in the back right. You can tell they're VC skellies if you look closely, I kinda knew GW wouldn't invest in new skellies so I made my own.

Wow, those turned out very nice. A definite improvement over the actual TK skeletons! :yes:

Concerning the Colossus: there is at least one company producing a kit of legs (http://shop.battlefield-berlin.de/index.php/katalog/artikelinfo/32379-1-show-colossus_legs.html), which are supposed to be used with the upper torso of the Necrosphinx.

ShruikhanTK
18-02-2014, 11:48
Wow, those turned out very nice. A definite improvement over the actual TK skeletons! :yes:

Concerning the Colossus: there is at least one company producing a kit of legs (http://shop.battlefield-berlin.de/index.php/katalog/artikelinfo/32379-1-show-colossus_legs.html), which are supposed to be used with the upper torso of the Necrosphinx.

Hey thanks, I thijnk I'll take new pics of them to show the TK players on here. I bought a box of TK skellies after helping assemble my friends VC skellies...and they were...they are at the bottom of my drawer all 16 of them. Been there for 3 years now lol.

Moopy
20-02-2014, 03:24
My personal choices are Empire Knights if im being greedy, High elf core troops if im being objective.

Lordsaradain
20-02-2014, 07:05
My vote goes to goblin warriors and high elf spearmen.