PDA

View Full Version : Necron mind controlling tyranids

kieranhoare
08-02-2014, 23:07
Hi guys, so I'm trying to write up the history of my necron dynasty, and basically they almost got completely annihilated to the point of about 1000 necrons remained by a hive fleet, or a hive fleet tendril.I was thinking that the necrons managed to infest the primary hive ship with mind shackle scarabs, as they are the link between the whole fleet and the "hive mind" and everything under synapses range would follow the fleet's will, aka my necrons, and when not in range of synapses, they revert to their natural instincts, not controlled by the hive mind.Am I correcting in believing this would work?

Langdon
09-02-2014, 00:10
Wouldn;t happen, despite what happens on the tabletop.

Tyranids actively go out of their way to avoid Necron Tomb Worlds and Necrons on their lonesome.

When they have guns that atomize you and gain no biomass from, even the Hive Mind is scared of the buggers.

Menthak
09-02-2014, 00:53
Hi guys, so I'm trying to write up the history of my necron dynasty, and basically they almost got completely annihilated to the point of about 1000 necrons remained by a hive fleet, or a hive fleet tendril.I was thinking that the necrons managed to infest the primary hive ship with mind shackle scarabs, as they are the link between the whole fleet and the "hive mind" and everything under synapses range would follow the fleet's will, aka my necrons, and when not in range of synapses, they revert to their natural instincts, not controlled by the hive mind.Am I correcting in believing this would work?

Fluff-wise yes, I imagine this would work, but it'd be difficult.

NagashLover
09-02-2014, 01:30
It could work but I agree with Menthak that it would be a very rare and difficult possibility.

Another possibility you could toy with is the few Crypteks (I think that is what they are.) use Math magic (Math magicians) and science to take living organisms to create lab made Tyranids. So they are Tyranids in every respect except they actually aren't real Tyranids. Clones in a sense made from other living organisms (Orks for example to simulate the mass growing process) with other components from other races to tweak and create more specialized Tyranid proxies. Have them controlled by a walking and living computer bio beast (would be a version of synapse).

Or a device that simulates the genestealer cult phenomenon on worlds that Necrons wants to advance on that entices smaller portions of a larger fleet to the worlds where in the Necrons then send in a force during a small invasion using devices that allow them to mimic the same aura the Tyranids emit (so Necrons would appear friendly until the Hive mind becomes wise to it).

Just play around with it though.

kieranhoare
09-02-2014, 04:57
thanks all for your input

Another possibility you could toy with is the few Crypteks (I think that is what they are.) use Math magic (Math magicians) and science to take living organisms to create lab made Tyranids. So they are Tyranids in every respect except they actually aren't real Tyranids. Clones in a sense made from other living organisms (Orks for example to simulate the mass growing process) with other components from other races to tweak and create more specialized Tyranid proxies. Have them controlled by a walking and living computer bio beast (would be a version of synapse).

Or a device that simulates the genestealer cult phenomenon on worlds that Necrons wants to advance on that entices smaller portions of a larger fleet to the worlds where in the Necrons then send in a force during a small invasion using devices that allow them to mimic the same aura the Tyranids emit (so Necrons would appear friendly until the Hive mind becomes wise to it).
thanks man, that is an awesome idea, it actually fits my main cryptek, who ended up in charged of the tombworld, he's a bio-what ever cryptek who is trying to find a suitable host to mortalise the necron race, and these 'tyranid like creatures' could be one of his experiments.

Camman1984
09-02-2014, 07:33
I think it would be possible, necrons are supposed to be crazy scientists now and have the stealth tech to land on mars. Their technology is also so far beyond our comprehension that they may be able to mind control a hive ship.

I would suspect rather than the nids attacking them, the necrons sneaking up on a wounded or weakened hive ship and 'capturing' it. Maybe the necrons are crippled themselves and have lost their manufacturing and repair facilities, so a floating space factory that could produce endless disposable cannon fodder would be hard to resist.

Lord Damocles
09-02-2014, 12:56
We don't really know how Mindshackal Scarabs interact with psychic powers.

However we do know that they can be used to both directly control living targets (like in the Codex), and to animate corpses (like the walking dead from Fall of Orpheus), so you could just have your Necrons swarm a Tyranid ship with scarabs and capture/reanimate individual Tyranid organisms rather than just synapse creatures.

You could also use something like the collars which turned up on Medusa V, with the implication seemingly being that they were Necron technology:

'Most worrying has been reports that recovered Tyranid specimens killed in combat have been observed to have xeno-metallic control devices attached which, upon extraction from the carcass, have reportedly, "phased out." Additionally, experienced Ultramarine Tyranid Hunters have observed that these creatures have fought in a manner counter to accepted Imperial understanding, showing uncharacteristic caution in certain situations. The Commanders who reported this have reported to the Inquisition for "interviews".'
(Special Zone Beta: Sybilla Mines http://web.archive.org/web/20070310101206/http://medusav.uk.games-workshop.com/events/event4.htm)

Xerkics
09-02-2014, 14:13
I think its not unreasonable to say necrons could put a mind shackles on a hive tyrant with great difficulty but eventually the Hive Mind would either break the hold or switch the focus through to some other hive creature so its unlikely to work for a long period of time unless its the lone hive tyrant on the planet.

BlessMyBeard
09-02-2014, 20:51
I like the idea, sounds plausible enough. Makes just as much sense as Necrons and Blood Angels to me. Nids need allies, go rock it!

kieranhoare
09-02-2014, 23:10
thank you all for you input.
@Camman1984 and @Lord Damocles, i like those ideas a lot, capturing a weakened hive ship sounds good, flooding it with scarabs to take temporary control of synapsis creatures, until I can place those controlling devices onto the tyranids (which as written, sounds like it's only could be necrons)
what do people think of having a few monstrous creatures being ridden by a necron lord? haha

Menthak
10-02-2014, 18:26
We don't really know how Mindshackal Scarabs interact with psychic powers.

However we do know that they can be used to both directly control living targets (like in the Codex), and to animate corpses (like the walking dead from Fall of Orpheus), so you could just have your Necrons swarm a Tyranid ship with scarabs and capture/reanimate individual Tyranid organisms rather than just synapse creatures.

You could also use something like the collars which turned up on Medusa V, with the implication seemingly being that they were Necron technology:

'Most worrying has been reports that recovered Tyranid specimens killed in combat have been observed to have xeno-metallic control devices attached which, upon extraction from the carcass, have reportedly, "phased out." Additionally, experienced Ultramarine Tyranid Hunters have observed that these creatures have fought in a manner counter to accepted Imperial understanding, showing uncharacteristic caution in certain situations. The Commanders who reported this have reported to the Inquisition for "interviews".'
(Special Zone Beta: Sybilla Mines http://web.archive.org/web/20070310101206/http://medusav.uk.games-workshop.com/events/event4.htm)

Very good catch

what do people think of having a few monstrous creatures being ridden by a necron lord? haha

Model wise? Great, but might struggle finding rules, unless you just use them as plain monsters.

Camman1984
10-02-2014, 19:09
Just use them as plain monsters, maybe use ones with appropriate biomorphs, the necron wont do much fighting while holding on anyway as they wouldnt domesticate the nids toooo much.

The trygon strikes me as a good example, nothing about that model shouts to me 'i shoot lightning' at me, but a trygon with a cryptek on his back? Lightning away :)

kieranhoare
15-02-2014, 02:18
Thanks guys, I was just looking at just modelling it, but using it as a cryptek as a "biomorph" or other weapon sounds awesome, like a lightning attack or similar thing. Thank you guys for all your help