PDA

View Full Version : Different Color Schemes for Aspect Warriors

Good Measure
09-02-2014, 14:02
Hi all.

I'm starting an Eldar army and I plan on painting them following the Zahr Tann color scheme (pics below).

In the new dex they show varying color schemes for aspect warriors depending upon the shrine they are from. I would like to paint all my minis at least some form of brown and black, like the guardians would be.

I would not make them the same, would use different shades for different models, ie a rust color for fire dragons, a slightly lighter brown for banshees.

My question is, would this be considered the dishonoring the Phoenix Lords and the shrines they established? If they don't closely resemble the original color schemes, say brown striking scorpions, is that against the lore of the eldar?

On another note, would the Phoenix Lords ever have armor besides what is shown in the codex?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/09/ragu9e2y.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/09/uqabavu8.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/09/u3u4a4e6.jpg

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horus38
09-02-2014, 15:23
Aspect warriors very often do have different color schemes then their traditional colors, so go for it. Your chosen scheme is also very fitting/slick for eldar, so I'm sure the aspects will look great in it.

The Phoenix Lords are a little trickier. From a background standpoint there is only the one suit of armor that moves from wearer to wearer over the millennium with the dominant personality remaining intact/control. So from a strictly cannon standpoint they've probably retained the same color scheme. However, as a vehement eldar player myself (and most others I know) it is completely fine to paint them in a scheme that is complementary to your own force :)

Good Measure
09-02-2014, 15:49
That definitely answers my question! Interesting tidbit about the Phoenix Lords too.

Thanks!

Good Measure
09-02-2014, 15:51
On a side note, all I've seen of the Zahr Tann is the color scheme. Do they have any lore to them?

Karhedron
09-02-2014, 15:53
I have seen Aspect Warriors painted in everything from traditional colours to craftworld colours and everything in between. I think that using craftworld colours but "tweaked" to suit the Aspect would look very good. It certainly wouldn't be seen as dishonouring the Pheonix Lords.

As for the Phoenix Lords themselves, they can (and should IMHO) be painted however you think looks best. Even the "official" 'Eavy Metal colour schemes for these models have change over the years as painting styles change. The models were originally released at the start of 2nd edition when very bright and bold colour schemes were in vogue. Since 3rd ed, more grimdark colour schemes have been used. As such, there is not really an "official" colour scheme so I would say, your army, your colours! ;)

http://webspace.webring.com/people/au/um_2733/karandras.jpg
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2550077a_99800104022_KarandrasCFC01_445x319.jpg

bittick
09-02-2014, 16:24
On a side note, all I've seen of the Zahr Tann is the color scheme. Do they have any lore to them?

Actually I think this is Zartan's color scheme.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_small/0/4/77624-152302-zartan.gif

Lord Damocles
09-02-2014, 16:28
The Epic Swordwind supplement featured Biel-Tan Dire Avengers in green.

Codex: Craftworld Eldar had Howling Banshees in red and blue/grey, and the studio Aliatoc army had blue Banshees.

Good Measure
09-02-2014, 19:44
I have seen Aspect Warriors painted in everything from traditional colours to craftworld colours and everything in between. I think that using craftworld colours but "tweaked" to suit the Aspect would look very good. It certainly wouldn't be seen as dishonouring the Pheonix Lords. As for the Phoenix Lords themselves, they can (and should IMHO) be painted however you think looks best. Even the "official" 'Eavy Metal colour schemes for these models have change over the years as painting styles change. The models were originally released at the start of 2nd edition when very bright and bold colour schemes were in vogue. Since 3rd ed, more grimdark colour schemes have been used. As such, there is not really an "official" colour scheme so I would say, your army, your colours! ;)

I feel the same way about the color scheme! I'm glad I'm getting all this clarification, because what drew me to the eldar time and time again was the lore. The last thing I wanted was to have an army that belittled aspect shrines. Love the rasta Karandras as well!

Thanks again!

Good Measure
09-02-2014, 20:02
Actually I think this is Zartan's color scheme.

Oh my god I love G.I. Joe and never drew the connection! That's kickass!!! Well now I have to model a Autarch after him.

Good Measure
09-02-2014, 20:10
The Epic Swordwind supplement featured Biel-Tan Dire Avengers in green.

Oh wow I had no idea that suppliment even existed! Will definitely check it out.

Idaan
11-02-2014, 18:36
The White Dwarf that accompanied previous Eldar Codex had an article on Aspect Warriors, and in it were shown some shrine-specific colour schemes that were a lot more divergent than the ones in 6e Codex. For instance it had Shrine of the Red Wyrm Fire Dragons, in deep red and with brazen helms, or Shrine of the Ebon Witch Banshees in black armour with bone-coloured helmets.
So yes, it's acceptable to have divergent colour schemes, as long as you keep them true to the core of the Aspect. I can imagine white Dark Reapers (as white is the colour of mourning in just as many culture as black is) but not ones in bright orange with hazmat stripes.

Saunders
11-02-2014, 21:30
*pure speculation*

More divergent shrines will likely have more exotic color schemes for their aspect armor. I would imagine that a shrine adhering more closely to the teachings of their Phoenix Lord would also have a color scheme more closely mirroring the traditional shrine colors. Younger shrines may be less inclined to precisely follow tradition.

At least, that's how I imagine it.

*end speculation*

Anggul
12-02-2014, 10:53
The most common thing is for them to have a basis of the original colour scheme but with elements of the craftworld colours such as cloth, banners, helmets and such.

I don't think painting them entirely in the craftworld colours is a good idea myself. The point in aspect warriors is that they are distinctive and different from the surrounding army. If you paint them all the same they don't really have that 'different aspects of the shattered god' feel to them, it removes character I feel. That's me though, others might feel differently, I just think the variation in theme and style is the point in having aspect warriors.

It's better than craftworld coloured Harlequins though. Harlequins aren't even with a craftworld, they just visit.

The Marshall
12-02-2014, 22:13
The most common thing is for them to have a basis of the original colour scheme but with elements of the craftworld colours...

This sums it up perfectly for me. Draws a nice balance between keeping the look of the craftworld one chooses to do while staying relatively faithful to the codex colour schemes of the different aspect shrines. After all I feel the colour theme needs to work across the entire army to keep it cohesive. I was always put off by the all blue for dire avengers or all green for scorpions for example.

Funnily enough the last models I painted I was attempting to start a Zahr Tann force too. Only managed 10 guardians though! Was looking forward to mix it up with the aspects by doing green and brown for scorpions or brown and bone for banshees for instance.

It's your army so go ahead and do it however you see fit. The best looking ones always have that personal imagination added to the core themes that already exist.

Roberkhan
13-02-2014, 07:33
In the new dex they show varying color schemes for aspect warriors depending upon the shrine they are from. I would like to paint all my minis at least some form of brown and black, like the guardians would be.
I would not make them the same, would use different shades for different models, ie a rust color for fire dragons, a slightly lighter brown for banshees.

I really like this idea. Go for it and upload some pics when you're done! :yes:

quantumcollider
13-02-2014, 17:59
Doesn't Eldar armour contain an amount of psychoreactive material?

I can really imagine when an Eldar donnes the armour of a Phoenix Lord, it will subtly change under influence of the personality of the Eldar warrior before he is subsumed by the Phoenix Lord's personality.

Saunders
13-02-2014, 18:36
Doesn't Eldar armour contain an amount of psychoreactive material?

I can really imagine when an Eldar donnes the armour of a Phoenix Lord, it will subtly change under influence of the personality of the Eldar warrior before he is subsumed by the Phoenix Lord's personality.

Psychoreactive, to an extent. There hasn't been any examples of that affecting pigment, though. More along the lines of fit and the material's physical properties in reacting to impact.

Sai-Lauren
15-02-2014, 08:42
The original articles for the aspect warriors said that some craftworlds have theirs use the traditional colours of the aspect, some use the craftworlds colours, and others use a completely different set of colours.

So whatever you want, basically. Although I'd personally consider some reference back to their traditional colours - say blue banners on Dire Avengers, bone white hair on Banshees and so on.

As for the Phoenix Lords, well, I painted Jain Zar in a completely different colour scheme to her "official" one, so I'd say go for it. Maybe the suits can alter their colouration (as it would only affect the outer layers, that would be a lot easier IMO than resizing to fit).