PDA

View Full Version : What type of article for a 40k magazine?

anselminus
09-02-2014, 18:20
My project is to create a webzine 40k hobby Wath article would you like to see in this type of magazine? (history battle report, painting....)

Hrw-Amen
09-02-2014, 18:59
Background history, moddeling tips, conversions that people had done to get inspiration for myself.

=Angel=
09-02-2014, 19:05
Dissertations on terrain- atmosphere, functionality, density, the aesthetic/model interaction balance.Tree campaigns- real simple to doOff the battlefield- a discussion of the mechanics of an ork empire- farming, trading etc.Piracy and smuggling- adventure.

williamsond
09-02-2014, 19:46
Tactics for armies and top builds top players are using, tourney reviews and old school battle reports. Interviews with people looking at their armies photos of the painted army and their views on what they like why they use it etc.

Rules wise special mission of the month would be nice to to add a bit of variation to the old random mission tables, some thing different with a bit of narrative for people to play.

T10
10-02-2014, 14:14
Fan-made codexes?

-T10

A.T.
10-02-2014, 14:24
Properly researched material with regards to tactics and rules - sometimes you see stuff online and they've got it all wrong (especially youtube vids).

dangerboyjim
10-02-2014, 15:16
Show unit being put together, from conception to table top.

Why buy that unit, is it too fill a gap in the army, is there a fluffy reason, a back story for them, have they been modelled/painted to represent anything in particular, what was the reasoning behind the load out for them etc.

anselminus
10-02-2014, 19:59
Thanks a lot for your answers

so:

-History/ background about all races of 40k.
-Moddeling tips with convertion with miniature and terrain (with tutorial or not?).
-Terrain rules with model presentation.
-Thorough background system and history.
- Little campaigns.
- Article about player army, with interview and picture.
-miniature gallery.
-Tactics and unit description and utility.
- Battle reports and scenery with background and history.
-Rules.
-choice of weapons with evolution of building unit and painting.
-advice tabletop painting and pushed.

Look goog for you?
More ideas?

dangerboyjim
10-02-2014, 20:20
I wouldn't have thought the history would be that much use to anyone reading a fanzine, if they are that far into the hobby, they'll likely know anything you would put in here already.

Having said that, if you want to put the time in, then go ahead, it's your project!

anselminus
10-02-2014, 20:34
I wouldn't have thought the history would be that much use to anyone reading a fanzine, if they are that far into the hobby, they'll likely know anything you would put in here already.

Having said that, if you want to put the time in, then go ahead, it's your project!

I want to complement the history and backgound of 40k universe to avoid things already seen.
As you can see I am working on another project on my signature, with unique designs and new history, the magazine would be in the same vision that this site.

=Angel=
10-02-2014, 21:35
Not to harp on about terrain again, but how about interviews with people who design terrain professionally?
These guys for example- http://www.scenery-planet.com/inicio.html have built some cracking stuff.
It would be interesting to ask them their thought processes as they sit down to make a gaming table.

They get a little free advertising and your readers get new terrain ideas for their homebuilds.

anselminus
10-02-2014, 21:48
Yes that's a good idea, i have think to interview professional painter as battle brush studio or others.

williamsond
11-02-2014, 12:15
I think a on runing article like GW did back in the day where a group or person gets so much to spend each issue and buys builds and paints it and explains their choices would be great. back in the day that was one of my favorite things WD did. being your not affiliated you could give advice on where to get bargins, how to strip and repair models etc too.

duffybear1988
11-02-2014, 12:19
Thanks a lot for your answers

so:

-History/ background about all races of 40k.
-Moddeling tips with convertion with miniature and terrain (with tutorial or not?).
-Terrain rules with model presentation.
-Thorough background system and history.
- Little campaigns.
- Article about player army, with interview and picture.
-miniature gallery.
-Tactics and unit description and utility.
- Battle reports and scenery with background and history.
-Rules.
-choice of weapons with evolution of building unit and painting.
-advice tabletop painting and pushed.

Look goog for you?
More ideas?

Sounds like White Dwarf from the 90's and early 00's. Excellent in other words!

iamcjb
11-02-2014, 14:04
A tale of 4 gamers or similar. I think pretty much everybody enjoys that sort of article, as we get thoughts on both the tactics side and the collecting and modelling side.

Terrain articles would be good also, particularly if you build modular terrain items. Alternatively you could do a series of articles on building a board from scratch, and slowly build it up into a dense jungle/city/industrial zone.

I also like articles on other people's collections. Its a good way to see different painting styles, and less common armies.

=Angel=
11-02-2014, 17:27
A tale of 4 gamers or similar. I think pretty much everybody enjoys that sort of article, as we get thoughts on both the tactics side and the collecting and modelling side.

Terrain articles would be good also, particularly if you build modular terrain items. Alternatively you could do a series of articles on building a board from scratch, and slowly build it up into a dense jungle/city/industrial zone.

I also like articles on other people's collections. Its a good way to see different painting styles, and less common armies.

I think a on runing article like GW did back in the day where a group or person gets so much to spend each issue and buys builds and paints it and explains their choices would be great. back in the day that was one of my favorite things WD did. being your not affiliated you could give advice on where to get bargins, how to strip and repair models etc too.

This would be an excellent article series.
Choose a group with excellent painting/modelling skills- they'll make a miniature look great even if it's not a great sculpt
Assign a low budget- say, 30 euro a month, and players have to start an army from scratch.
They could use ebay and 3rd party suppliers- Em4, mantic, defiance, dreamforge etc.
Two players could splits on a starter 40k box, or sedition wars or Warpath or even buy the squads individually on ebay ( you can get a tac squad for 10 euros...)

You get painting and modelling advice and escalating armies. So every month they build up and paint a unit or two then play a game with everything they've got.
The games start out as kill teams then 40k in 40mins, and grow from there.

You get a painting article every month as they paint their stuff
It would also be refreshing to see games without the big toys (right away anyway)
Finally it demonstrates that the game doesn't have to kill your wallet.

Vida
11-02-2014, 18:48
This would be an excellent article series.
Choose a group with excellent painting/modelling skills- they'll make a miniature look great even if it's not a great sculpt
Assign a low budget- say, 30 euro a month, and players have to start an army from scratch.
They could use ebay and 3rd party suppliers- Em4, mantic, defiance, dreamforge etc.
Two players could splits on a starter 40k box, or sedition wars or Warpath or even buy the squads individually on ebay ( you can get a tac squad for 10 euros...)

You get painting and modelling advice and escalating armies. So every month they build up and paint a unit or two then play a game with everything they've got.
The games start out as kill teams then 40k in 40mins, and grow from there.

You get a painting article every month as they paint their stuff
It would also be refreshing to see games without the big toys (right away anyway)
Finally it demonstrates that the game doesn't have to kill your wallet.

This sounds like a great idea.

anselminus
11-02-2014, 19:28
Yes that's idea is really cool!
I must finding 3 players with a correct paint level ^^.

TheBearminator
12-02-2014, 19:56
An in depth analysis of the cost of the hobby from the Rough trader days until present. And secondly, what impact has this had on the patronage. Who were playing the game, and buying the models when the first plastic kits came out, and who is the typical customer today?

Still Standing
13-02-2014, 00:31
The first few issues of Firebase Magazine. You will run into the same issues they did; you will quickly realise you are unable to create enough high quality articles on your own, and getting community assistance is nigh impossible.

tezdal
13-02-2014, 05:17
The first few issues of Firebase Magazine. You will run into the same issues they did; you will quickly realise you are unable to create enough high quality articles on your own, and getting community assistance is nigh impossible.

IDK, Warp Rift managed to run as a EZINE for like 30 or so issues, and lots more support and material for 40k than BFG

williamsond
13-02-2014, 11:41
If you're looking for people to interview about armies or stuff, or review tourneys etc I know a few that would be willing to input.

anselminus
13-02-2014, 17:11
We must not forget that this magazine will complement the campaign website for 40k (signature), I do not intend to earn my life with simply interested players and to support the site with news article and history.