PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer models which will never need a replacement

Karak Norn Clansman
09-02-2014, 22:18
Do you think there are any Warhammer models which will never need replacements? This would be simply because they're close to perfect and will obviously stand the test of time no matter how much the rest of the army ranges improve.

Wood Elf Glade Guard and Glade Riders come to mind, especially since they're plastic. They capture the essence of Wood Elves expertly and don't look dated one iota. Belegar and the new Slayer are also on the list. For Empire, the Steamtank and archers. For Greenskins, Black Orcs. For High Elves (in practice), the plastic Lotr Eagles. For Dark Elves, Shadowblade. Non-plastic miniatures would be the Hellcannon, Slann Mage-Priest and the Anvil of Doom, although they're bound to get redone in plastic sooner or later because of material policy.

Apart from those, there are few kits of everlasting quality so to speak which I can think of, though I guess the 6th edition Ogre Kingdoms infantry might make the cut. Many other models have minor flaws or just don't "pop" enough to be obvious permanents in the range, although they might deserve their place for many years to come.

Which models would you name, if any?

SpanielBear
09-02-2014, 22:43
I doubt such a kit exists. I too love the Wood Elf models, but even with them there are some flaws- how the cloak and the right shoulder interact for example. I'm not complaining, they're beautiful enough, but an update for a range has never failed to produce at least a few new interesting models. Things stay the same, they stagnate.

Gorgeous models though.

Odin
09-02-2014, 22:55
The Glade Guard are nice, but can be improved upon. Glade Riders can definitely be improved on.

I'd say the War Altar for Empire probably can't be bettered. The machine itself, Volkmar, can't see them ever needing to be replaced. Probably the Hurricanum as well. And sticking with the Empire theme, the Huntsmen are pretty much perfect too.

A lot of the Dark ELf kits too. Corsairs, COKnights, Witch Elves.

Verm1s
09-02-2014, 22:57
I'd say IoB rat ogres, the only caveat being that they need to be replaced with a general-sale kit. Maybe with a few more options.

Bloodknight
09-02-2014, 23:08
- The Dogs of War pikemen regiments. Typical Perry Brothers quality, shame GW wasn't smart enough to give the Empire Pikemen...
- The 6th edition Empire state troops, which sadly already got a replacement of much lower quality.

SSquirrel
09-02-2014, 23:27
Doomwheel is pretty awesome, as are the Furnace and Screaming Bell.

Darnok
09-02-2014, 23:35
I don't see a reason why the current VC skeletons and Black Knights would ever need new models. They are pretty much perfect. As are all of the core Daemons.

I also really like the Black Orcs, even though they sometimes don't rank well. And despite their age, the Empire Free Company is something I would not replace - it is still a great kit.

Odin
09-02-2014, 23:49
I don't see a reason why the current VC skeletons and Black Knights would ever need new models. They are pretty much perfect. As are all of the core Daemons.

I also really like the Black Orcs, even though they sometimes don't rank well. And despite their age, the Empire Free Company is something I would not replace - it is still a great kit.

Have to agree on the skellies and knights. I don't like the Daemonettes or Horrors, the 6th edition designs were much better, and I'd like to see something a lot more like them in future.

Free Company is amazing, but I'd love to see what they could do if they were to do another Mordheim kit now. I think it definitely could be improved upon with more variety and better detail, but chances are if they get a new kit it will be designed specifically for Warhammer, and would be a bit bland by comparison.

Xerkics
09-02-2014, 23:52
Warriors of Chaos models are very simple and elegant and surprisingly detail for what is essentially a monopause model i think will stand the test of time they still look as good as a lot of new models released now. You would really need to make something special to do better.

Korinov
10-02-2014, 00:14
I really loved most Dark Elf 6th edition metal models, specially Corsairs, Executioners and Black Guard. I had some special love for the Corsairs but gotta admit the Black Guard were probably the best models out of the whole army. Needless to say, all three have already been replaced by (in my opinion) lesser-quality plastic models.

Kakapo42
10-02-2014, 00:20
- The ENTIRE Wood Elf range, with the possible exception of the Spellsingers/Spellweavers. Incredible models, I'm still rapidly scrambling to stockpile as many of them as I can before the re-release hits.

- The ENTIRE Bretonnian range, with the possible exception of the mounted Damsels/Prophetesses (and even then I suspect that's just a case of the pictures on the GW website aren't very flattering). I am somewhat heartbroken to see so many of them lost.

- The ENTIRE Dogs of War range, or at least the Regiments of Renown. Fantastic models each and every one of them if you ask me.

- The Female Vampire on foot. I quite like that one. If I ever get around to collecting a Vampire Counts army, that one would most likely be the general.

- The Dwarf range pre- re-release. I always liked them, though many did not.

Aside from that my opinion is anything released between 2000-2008ish is golden. Now I just need a time machine to go back and get them all..

Maclav
10-02-2014, 00:51
- The ENTIRE Bretonnian range, with the possible exception of the mounted Damsels/Prophetesses (and even then I suspect that's just a case of the pictures on the GW website aren't very flattering). I am somewhat heartbroken to see so many of them lost.

No, those are probably the best examples of that horrible model in existence. The only way to turn that **** into nice is to melt it down. That mounted damsel is horrendously ugly.

But I agree, most of Bret's former metal range was excellent and the core plastics are still really solid.

Kakapo42
10-02-2014, 02:01
No, those are probably the best examples of that horrible model in existence. The only way to turn that **** into nice is to melt it down. That mounted damsel is horrendously ugly.

But I agree, most of Bret's former metal range was excellent and the core plastics are still really solid.

I don't know, I saw a couple of pictures of them in the Bretonnian army book where I didn't think they looked that bad (which is why I wondered), and I personally think the ones on foot are/were great.

Archon of Death
10-02-2014, 02:28
The Damsel and Prophetess are to humans as the Rat Women, I mean Lahmians, were to VC. I've never seen a well painted Damsel/Prophetess and I am currently looking at them in the Bret book. The issue lies in the facial structure, and no amount of clown makeup will stop their gaunt faces from looking obscene. Oh,not to mention GW's preference for d-sized breasts with the perk of a 15 year old on steroids.

Yamabushi
10-02-2014, 02:54
Tomb Kings Ushabti with Great Weapons - too bad the Croc headed one was removed. They got me into Warhammer in the first place and despite owning 18 painted ones, I cannot bring myself to field them on the tabletop.

Voodoo1
10-02-2014, 03:00
Keeping with the Bretonnians I think that the Green knight is one of their best models in the range. Although seeing the new black knights has me wondering what can be done to spruce up the Green knight. They are fantastic sculpts, as are much of the eighth edition models.

Craze_b0i
10-02-2014, 03:24
Actually a lot of the O&G product range is fine as it is. I am not saying the models are all perfect, but the weaknesses are not enough to need replacing.

The only O&G characters I think need re-doing are the old orc warboss kit, the pooey new goblin shaman and Grom. The rest are all fine.

For units the following are all fine: orcs, savage orcs, night goblins, fanatics, spider riders, black orcs, spear chucker, hoppers, araknarok, river trolls, giant, doomdiver, pump wagon. That is at least half the current range, probably more.

ntw3001
10-02-2014, 04:01
I've never really understood the popularity of the Glade Guard. I bought a box to kitbash for Necromunda, and the heads are so large. They don't fit well onto the necks. They were decent for Juves though.

ntw3001
10-02-2014, 04:06
I've never really understood the popularity of the Glade Guard. I bought a box to kitbash for Necromunda, and the heads are so large. They don't fit well onto the necks. They were decent for Juves though.

decker_cky
10-02-2014, 04:29
Beastmen Gors, ungors and bestigors are all kits I don't see ever needing the be replaced.

Warriors of Chaos models are very simple and elegant and surprisingly detail for what is essentially a monopause model i think will stand the test of time they still look as good as a lot of new models released now. You would really need to make something special to do better.

I don't think the current warriors really match the look of the 7th and 8th edition miniature releases (which are closer to the old realms of chaos era miniatures). They're not in need of being redone as much as marauders for example, but they could stand to be replaced IMO.

kylek2235
10-02-2014, 04:34
Wow, a lot of focus on new units that will forever be immortalized, so how about an old one? The Stone Trolls. This unit rarely, if ever, sees the table, but these trolls minis have been just about everywhere in GW publications. I say kudos to our squinty eyed friends!

shelfunit.
10-02-2014, 07:17
Current skaven basic clanrats, stormvermin, scraming bell. Warriors & knights of chaos, Glade guard/riders (just) & dryads, Lizardmen - almost everything except krox and the playmobile ankylosaurus.

Lord Dan
10-02-2014, 07:47
-Skaven Clanrats
-VC Black Knights
-Empire Free Company

Lord Solar Plexus
10-02-2014, 08:02
Bretonnian Pegasus Knights

Empire Demigriffons, Militia, Pistoliers

lots of Skaven and Vampire core

Chaos Warriors, WoC Nurgle character on foot

Lantern
10-02-2014, 08:06

I have to agree. The Bretonnian range is one of the best in the game, each model epitomising the 'feel' of the army, and nine more so than The Green Knight, in my opinion, the best model in the whole of Warhammer.

Avian
10-02-2014, 10:14
You trollin'? :eyebrows:

That kit only has half the available weapon options - it's certainly in need of a replacement.

damienhell
10-02-2014, 11:55
I vote for archaon.
That model is so sweet years ago, so does now compare to the new ones.

Dark Aly
10-02-2014, 11:56
skarsnik and the green knight.

shelfunit.
10-02-2014, 11:58
-Empire Free Company

How could I have forgotten these guys?!? Thankfully they survived the 7th ed Empire "devolution of man".

Karak Norn Clansman
10-02-2014, 12:49
How could I have forgotten these guys?!? Thankfully they survived the 7th ed Empire "devolution of man".

:D The archers and Greatswords aren't devolved, though.

shelfunit.
10-02-2014, 13:02
:D The archers and Greatswords aren't devolved, though.

The Great swords were capable of beating off the sculptors with large weaponry, and the archers kept them at bay from distance.

Captain Collius
10-02-2014, 13:59
The new lizard terradons and carnosaur are freaking amazing.

Craze_b0i
10-02-2014, 14:22
I am curious to know the oldest character/unit currently still in production or on sale. (Meaning stuff actually in the army lists, not collectors items)

Could it be Teclis possibly? Or Ungrim Ironfist.

shelfunit.
10-02-2014, 14:32
I am curious to know the oldest character/unit currently still in production or on sale. (Meaning stuff actually in the army lists, not collectors items)

Probably the Elector counts, from 4th Edition?

N1AK
10-02-2014, 15:02
It's very hard to say. I can remember models I was amazed by when they came out that look very dated compared to newer releases. Just trying to think of models from 10 years ago that still look great shows that not many make the grade. The old Dark Elf Executioners and Black Guard would have been a good example of a unit that, in my opinion, were incredibly good for there time, still look good etc but even they've been replaced.

The Wood Elf Dryads strike me as a unit that would be hard to top. I like the Glade Guard as well but they do lack some variety so I could see them being improved on if someone had the inclination.

Alltaken
10-02-2014, 15:41
WE: dryads and some heroes (moose rider, the guy with the bow and hawk, great weapon hero, and flying man spell singer with the sort of shoulder horns)
Glade guard look great too.

LM: saurus, temple guard, skinks, toad, new carnosaur my God is a beauty (trog is even better)
From my armys at least

From my servoskull

StygianBeach
10-02-2014, 15:56
Wood Elf Dryads.

Beastmen Infantry the new Skaven Infantry and Bell.

Juggerknights, Chaos Knights all look great, but I think they could be replaced with Sprues with fewer pieces.

Avian
10-02-2014, 17:14
And slightly smaller horses.

Darnok
10-02-2014, 17:19
And slightly smaller horses.

They need to carry the massive Chaos Knights. And they are infused with the powers of Chaos, making them more monstrous and less horselike. I think they are fine as they are.

Urgat
10-02-2014, 17:33
I'll cast a vote for the stone trolls too, they're so full of character. But well, if they were to be changed, I wouldn't mind: I already have them all, so heh :p
The green knight is also a fantastic sculpt, but with the size creep, he seems a little small for the job now, unfortunately. So if he were to be redone, I'd just elect for a scan of the mini, a bit of scalling up, and the jobs a gud'one :)

The Damsel and Prophetess are to humans as the Rat Women, I mean Lahmians, were to VC. I've never seen a well painted Damsel/Prophetess and I am currently looking at them in the Bret book. The issue lies in the facial structure, and no amount of clown makeup will stop their gaunt faces from looking obscene.

Actually, the "makeup" is the problem. My bro has the mounted damsel and the one on foot, and w/o shading, they look just fine (edit: well in fact, he's got the 5th ed ones, forgot they'd been replaced). It's GW's damned tendency to overexagerate the line on the faces of their female minis that make them look so horrid. The cheekbones, oh, the cheekbones! From Brets to DE, they've all suffered from that painting at one point or another. It' seems if there's any kind of recess on the mini, they have a moral obligation to put enormous shadows under it, and superhighlights on the bump. And it makes female faces look like badly-shaved transvestites.

edit: Look at this one:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/383508-Bretonnian%20Damsel.html
I think it is not unfair to say this painter is not Golden Demon material (talking as a fellow), and yet imho her face looks waaaaaaaaaaay better than what the HM team achieves with their upperdupper mad painting skillz. Coz of that nice little word: restraint. Because if he's not GD material, his painting skills are more than adequate, and he obviously can do shadows and highlights. He merely elected to keep them to a minimum on the face, and that's exactly what should be done, for all female faces.

Karak Norn Clansman
10-02-2014, 18:19
I would have included the 6th edition Executioners if they hadn't been replaced by the new plastic jokes.

Blinder
10-02-2014, 19:20
I'll cast a vote for the stone trolls too, they're so full of character. But well, if they were to be changed, I wouldn't mind: I already have them all, so heh :p
The green knight is also a fantastic sculpt, but with the size creep, he seems a little small for the job now, unfortunately. So if he were to be redone, I'd just elect for a scan of the mini, a bit of scalling up, and the jobs a gud'one :)

Actually, the "makeup" is the problem. My bro has the mounted damsel and the one on foot, and w/o shading, they look just fine (edit: well in fact, he's got the 5th ed ones, forgot they'd been replaced). It's GW's damned tendency to overexagerate the line on the faces of their female minis that make them look so horrid. The cheekbones, oh, the cheekbones! From Brets to DE, they've all suffered from that painting at one point or another. It' seems if there's any kind of recess on the mini, they have a moral obligation to put enormous shadows under it, and superhighlights on the bump. And it makes female faces look like badly-shaved transvestites.

edit: Look at this one:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/383508-Bretonnian%20Damsel.html
I think it is not unfair to say this painter is not Golden Demon material (talking as a fellow), and yet imho her face looks waaaaaaaaaaay better than what the HM team achieves with their upperdupper mad painting skillz. Coz of that nice little word: restraint. Because if he's not GD material, his painting skills are more than adequate, and he obviously can do shadows and highlights. He merely elected to keep them to a minimum on the face, and that's exactly what should be done, for all female faces.

I agree on the Damsels... they look dreadful in a lot of the GW schemes (including from 10 years ago) but I really like the models themselves and what I've seen others do with them.

I also have to toss another vote in for the Green Knight... if they could get that exact sculpt scaled up just enough to match the contemporary models he'd be good for another 10+ years. I'd put most of the Bret models up (if so many of them hadn't disappeared, at least...), though I wouldn't mind some adjustments to the moulds for the horses and pegs. Sadly, almost the entire army is in *desperate* need of new models, on account of there aren't any, so... (I also think I might like it *even more* if the bulk of the 5e line were scaled up and added in... but that's just greedy)

I really like the current Steam Tank model. I expect it'll get changed at some point (just like everything), but I like the look of it and it should hold up quite well unless there's some huge shift in the rest of the army's style.

snyggejygge
10-02-2014, 19:42
Probably the Elector counts, from 4th Edition?

Teclis is also a 4:th edition model (got replaced & then the old one replaced the new one), as is Heinrich Kemmler

Personally I doubt they can make a better looking Archaon, that model is really sweet. I also have a soft spot for the Green Knight.

Bob Arctor
10-02-2014, 22:01
I'd also add my vote in for the Black Knights (my favourite Warhammer release in years), Archaon and Teclis.

I also really like the Luthor Huss model (mainly for the blindfolded horse) and the Grandmasters of the White Wolf and Knights Panther. I own the latter in spite of not having an Empire army.

Darnok
10-02-2014, 22:04
I get why people like Archaon and Teclis - they are great models. But with character models there is always room for improvement, for another view, for a new artists interpretation.

Having said that: I think the Green Knight is a timeless work of art. :yes:

Korinov
10-02-2014, 22:24
I would have included the 6th edition Executioners if they hadn't been replaced by the new plastic jokes.

The new ones are terrible. Those "skull helmets"... ugh. As I said before the 6th edition DE metal models were mostly great, and the new plastic kits look like really poor replacements

I get why people like Archaon and Teclis - they are great models. But with character models there is always room for improvement, for another view, for a new artists interpretation.

To be honest, I like both Teclis models. I guess they went back for the 4th edition one as they felt the 6th edition replacement hadn't really improved it, but I always considered it fine as well.

Brother Fenix
10-02-2014, 22:30
Wood Elf Range - Dryads and Glade Guard, I agree
Empire Free Company (AKA the old Mordheim sprue)

Posters say Bretonnia? I agree with the comments about the Green Knight, but there is a reason he looks awesome and the rest of the knights look goofy. It's because he has a plume on his helmet while the rest of the knights have poorly modeled animals and creatures.

gero_nz
10-02-2014, 22:51
1. The Green Knight.
2. See above.

BigbyWolf
10-02-2014, 22:51
Slaanesh Lord on Boobworm
Nurgle Lord on Daemonic Steed
Be'lakor
Azhag The Slaughterer (newest one)
Orc Shaman

5 models that are pretty much perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Darnok
10-02-2014, 23:22
Agreed, the Orc Shaman and Nurgle Lord are pretty perfect. And Be'lakor is a piece of art. Keep that boobworm and Azhag for yourself though. :p

Fear Ghoul
11-02-2014, 00:01
Nagash. Oh wait you meant seriously?

For Vampire Counts:

Skeletons
Black Knights
Hexwraiths
Isabella von Carstein
Krell
Female Vampire Lord (although more would be nice)
Wight King (although more would be nice)
Necromancer (recent plastic one, although more would be nice)
Banshee (same as above)
Wraith (same as above)
Grave Guard

For Bretonnia:

The Green Knight
The Fey Enchantress
Knights Errant

For Daemons of Chaos:

Skulltaker
The Changeling
Bloodletters
Plaguebearers
Screamers
Bloodcrushers

For High Elves:

Teclis
Tyrion
Alarielle
Handmaiden
Mage
Prince and Noble
Heroes
Phoenix Guard
Dragon Princes
Swordmasters (from IoB)
Phoenix
Great Eagle

For Lizardmen:

Lord Kroak
Slann Mage Priest
Tetto'eko
Skink Priest
Stegadon

For Orcs and Goblins:

Azhag
Skarsnik
Arachnarok
River Trolls

For Skaven:

Screaming Bell

For Tomb Kings:

Settra (not his mount)
Khalida
Tomb Kings
Sepulchral Stalkers
Casket of Souls

For Warriors of Chaos:

Archaon
Valkia
Sigvald
Festus
Be'Lakor
Tzeentch Lord on Disc
Lord of Slaanesh on Boobworm
Champion of Khorne
Lord on Daemonic Mount
Skullcrushers

Odin
11-02-2014, 00:11

Or just add all the weapon options!

I think they need a bit more variety, but otherwise I agree. I'd much rather get new Chaos Knights to match the current Warriors than vice versa.

Bugg13
11-02-2014, 07:00

I'm surprised by that, the warriors of chaos models have been putting me off starting an army for years now - they're just so flat and motionless. I suppose the detail and sculpting is pretty good, they could just do with being a bit more 3 dimensional.

Urgat
11-02-2014, 11:39
I like the chaos warriors too :p One could say they're static indeed, but then I think of the intro movie of Mark of Chaos, and I think "badass", really. I think the pose works really well for them.

Spider-pope
11-02-2014, 14:53
The Ungor. The old metals were close to perfect, when they did the plastic version they nailed it. They never need to redo them. Gors also come close, but i think they could be improved slightly - the separate horns are too fiddly for my tastes.

The new Dwarf longbeards would also get my vote. As far as i'm concerned they personify everything a Warhammer Dwarf should be, the sheer amount of detail on their armour and weapons really emphasizes the superiority of dwarfen craft.

CakeBoss06
21-02-2014, 01:59
I personally like the HE Prince on a Griffon. I don't know, but the detail and the look of the model just appeal to me.

Kirth
21-02-2014, 22:00
- The Dogs of War pikemen regiments. Typical Perry Brothers quality, shame GW wasn't smart enough to give the Empire Pikemen...
- The 6th edition Empire state troops, which sadly already got a replacement of much lower quality.

Both of these things. I see it as an absolute tragedy.

I'd put most of the Bret models up (if so many of them hadn't disappeared, at least...), though I wouldn't mind some adjustments to the moulds for the horses and pegs. Sadly, almost the entire army is in *desperate* need of new models, on account of there aren't any, so... (I also think I might like it *even more* if the bulk of the 5e line were scaled up and added in... but that's just greedy)

That would be absolutely awesome. The quality of the Bretonnian men-at-arms and archers from 5th were perfect. They fit the bill.

Also one of my favorites still in production (and ancient in terms of sculpt, the second iteration which is the current model created in the mid 90s.): Heinrich Kemmler.

@allmyownbattles
23-02-2014, 11:16
the beastmen core are great: Ungor are pretty much perfect; the look great but could be more dynamic and the bestigor are beautiful but are nearly mono pose.

The dryads should be around forever (watch them release new terrible ones).

But chaos warriors have no place on this thread in my opinion. The one unit in all of Warhammer which should be dynamic and varied from model to model, looks rigid and lifeless. That kit stops me ever starting the army.

Oogie boogie boss
23-02-2014, 12:23
Thanquol and Boneripper. Great models, can't see them ever being done better than the classic version.

DareX2
23-02-2014, 16:32
The Tomb Kings themselves are fantastic (both the shield and GW ones). Settra himself is great, though his chariot could be better.

The old dwarf models are still some of the best! I'm thinking of the metal Thunderers and the Imperial Dwarfs.

Athelassan
24-02-2014, 04:04
I'd say the War Altar for Empire probably can't be bettered. The machine itself, Volkmar, can't see them ever needing to be replaced. Probably the Hurricanum as well. And sticking with the Empire theme, the Huntsmen are pretty much perfect too.
I'm really not a fan of that figure, for lots of reasons. The horses on the front are beautifully sculpted but identical and static-looking. The triple-kitting is slightly awkward and on the War Altar and Hurricanum I think the whole thing sits a bit high. Moreover since the profile is the same on all variants, you end up with repetitive-looking centrepieces, which is annoying. There's also a lot of sculpted decoration that really annoys me and is positioned too awkwardly to remove easily: not the detail but the lettering: why exactly is Karl Franz's name plastered all over a magical artefact anyway? And apart from anything else it's an absolute nightmare to assemble, since almost every component (of which there are many!) needs painting individually.

As a one-off figure and as a piece of sculpting it is indeed something of a triumph, even if I think the human sculpts are a bit lacklustre. But as a model kit for its intended purpose, it has serious problems.

Oh, alas, both of these. Having said that, while most of the Dogs of War were pretty much perfect, the 6th ed State Troops were looking a bit tired by the time they were retired and could have done with a bit of a pep-up. They were more "historical" than "fantasy" and while I'm normally in favour of that they were perhaps a bit conservative. In particular, the option to have spears as an option for the main infantry regiment would have been very welcome. But they only needed a bit of a tweak; what they were replaced with was an abomination.

- The ENTIRE Wood Elf range, with the possible exception of the Spellsingers/Spellweavers. Incredible models, I'm still rapidly scrambling to stockpile as many of them as I can before the re-release hits.

I agree.

Wow, a lot of focus on new units that will forever be immortalized, so how about an old one? The Stone Trolls. This unit rarely, if ever, sees the table, but these trolls minis have been just about everywhere in GW publications. I say kudos to our squinty eyed friends!
And again I have to agree! I also loved the old metal River Trolls. The new plastic ones are ok but don't quite hit the same spot for me.

I vote for archaon.
That model is so sweet years ago, so does now compare to the new ones.
When I first saw the new Archaon I was all "yawn, new big Chaos figure, whatevah". It was also one of the first figures to be posed really dramatically and with an inbuilt scenic base which was a trend I wasn't fond of at the time (and, in some cases, still am not) so I was rather suspicious of it. But after all this time I can now recognise and accept that it really is an excellent figure.

I've done a quick survey of the website. Ungrim Ironfist was out in about 1993, if I remember rightly, and some of the Slayers (most notably the Daemonslayer) and Josef Bugman are from a similar period. Eltharion and Teclis are probably slightly older - 1992 or thereabouts. (There was a new Teclis figure out which seems to have gone, though, so he hasn't been continuously available). I can't see Gotrek and Felix for sale, which surprised me, but their classic versions are/were probably at least as old as Teclis if they're still available anywhere. Thanquol, Boneripper and Lord Skrolk go back to the same sort of period, so 1993-ish. Thanquol and Boneripper are probably a bit older than Skrolk.
Also from that sort of period are the Empire Grand Masters; I'm not sure on the dating, but I'd have thought 1992-ish. The plastic Armoured and Medieval Horses are from about 1990, I think.

However the Halfling Hot Pot might just edge them all.

Taking into account non-faction-specific Bitz, though, it's almost certainly the Familiars.

I'm not sure what the oldest figure in the range as a whole is, although there are some old pieces knocking around in 40K, particularly in the Space Wolves and Eldar range (the Warlocks, Avatar, Eldrad, and, bizarrely, the Jetbikes, are all really old). The Orks also have the Grot Tekkies and the Goff Rockers in the Bitz section, and that's not counting the early-Mk Space Marine armours in the Collectors' range. Some of those might be older than the oldest remaining fantasy pieces, but I'm not sure.

Kakapo42
24-02-2014, 10:49
Taking into account non-faction-specific Bitz, though, it's almost certainly the Familiars.

As a proud owner of both sets of Familiars I can attest to that, most of them are dated around 1986-1989. I think there might even be one or two that are even older than that as well!