PDA

View Full Version : Crisis Commander Blacksun Variant

Arsenal
11-06-2006, 16:40
Hello everyone.

I'm back in England for the summer as I go to university in America, and I thought i'd work on a new model over the summer. I didn't really want to spend any money, so I thought i'd work on something from the few bits I had, and rummaging through my bits box, decided to work on a Tau commander. I had very few tau bits, a devilfish chassis from a spare sprue and a crisis suit back, and one crisis suit leg, a couple of pulse carbines and that was about it! The rest would have to be made from very carefully selected imperial (and even ork!) parts. The unique look of tau tech would mean that making a believable model would require very careful planning and conversion work!

I'll be updating this thread as I go through the final modelling and painting stages, hopefully it will all work out well. I am considering making the model available for sale once it is finished, but for now i'm mainly doing this for pleasure.

Anyway, so as not to make this first post too long and cumbersome, I'm sure what you all want to see is some pictures, so here's the model as it stands. I will be priming it white, the position is meant to be one of unearthly hovering, I wanted the model to look as if it was far too light for its size to suggest alien antigrav technology. Any criticism and input is welcome.

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/560/crisiscommanderwip18cq.jpg
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/399/crisiscommanderwip36dp.jpg
http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/4643/crisiscommanderwip25zh.jpg

Arsenal
11-06-2006, 16:53
Apologies for the double post, pictures are now included in the post above. I about to go and prime him in white, and prepare his base, need to work out a strategy for attatching him to his flight rod.

Yarick Zan
11-06-2006, 16:56
i like the burst cannon on the right arm but whats the weapon on the left?

athamas
11-06-2006, 16:59
hmmmm, its a mix match of good bits... and bad bits..

will be interesting to see it finished

Arsenal
11-06-2006, 17:01
i like the burst cannon on the right arm but whats the weapon on the left?

I wanted to try and make a commanding pose, so i've gone for the "ordering fist". I had to carefully scratchbuild it to get the three fingered pose, I guess it isn't massively clear from the photos. It's also got an fuel feed and a barrel running along the underarm which means that in game you could justify giving him a plasma cannon, although I wasn't really bothered about weapon options ruleswise when creating him if I'm totally honest.

skiff
11-06-2006, 17:14
This thing between his legs looks, erm...you know...;)

Arsenal
11-06-2006, 17:17
I figured only the tau would be innocent enough to put a support weapon there ;)

Rabid Bunny 666
11-06-2006, 17:30
the torso is a bit bulky IMHO, but its an awesome bit of kitbashing otherwise, can't wait to see it painted.

Scorpio
11-06-2006, 18:12
Really cool. I cant wait to see this thing painted.

-Scorpio

damz451
11-06-2006, 18:47
i assume the thing dangling between its legs is a missile launcher right?...

j1kob
11-06-2006, 18:49
This thing between his legs looks, erm...you know...

I agree. Cool looking pose but did you have to add a rocket launcher there?

Nice conversion, I like the pose

-j1kob

Yarick Zan
11-06-2006, 21:57
im going to love to see the rules we help you come up with for this little monstrosity. am i right in thinking it will have a high toughness and armour save? also in that it should be decent in close combat but once again being a bit below average as most tau are (considering its size it should be decent metal does tend to hurt when you get hit with it), maybe make some kind of variation on the plasma rifles and make them double barreled. ill post a WIP pic of what i did to my commanders suit with his weapons config.

Edit: i think you might also recieve alot of flak for having the fusion blaster in between its legs, so id recommend removing it and placing it somewhere like over a shoulder or cut a hole in the chest piece and put it in there. or even just use the end of it on the chest. trust me it will save alot of people giving it dirty looks and just generally giving you flak.

Arsenal
12-06-2006, 00:58
Cheers for all of the comments and criticism guys, the painting is coming along, painfully slowly, mainly due to my decision to prime him (and it definately is a him ;)) white and then decidide I wanted to make his armour predominantly black. Oh well, my mistake. He's nearly all basecoated, and as I got bored with basecoating i've started working some details in around the head and chest. Only the exposed spinal column, head and lower collar are really started on properly.

See what you think:

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7350/crisiscommanderwip53ff.jpg
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/130/crisiscommanderwip61xu.jpg

Unseeing Eye
12-06-2006, 01:01
People are going to laugh at the crotch cannon. Just so you're okay with that. ;)

citizenkade
12-06-2006, 01:04
The base coated pics didn't do it justice... Painted, it looks pretty sweet! I always thought a battlesuit in the Farsight enclaves would look something like that, a bit kitbashed due to the lack of parts from the main Tau civilization! Nice job!

spongebob103
12-06-2006, 01:04
Its no crotch cannon, its a poop chute!

Nice work so far.

Arsenal
12-06-2006, 01:11
Cheers guys, I am definately keeping the crotch cannon for laugh value now! For the record, when I built it, I was thinking of it as some kind of torch. I like the way this model has a big lighting rig attatched to it's shoulders and I thought i'd give it a little mechanical tail with a light on the end. I didn't want to make it look too necron-wraithy so I put it extending forwards... oh dear.

Oh well.
Who says the Tau lack balls!

Scorpio
12-06-2006, 02:09
painted it looks very cool man. Very good.

-Scorpio

Yarick Zan
12-06-2006, 04:58
yea i like it. wish i had enough spare stuff to make things like that. ill eventually get there though.

fracas
12-06-2006, 11:17
much better painted!

Tom
12-06-2006, 15:04
Yes, it fires his pocket rocket.

It's... interesting. The design's nifty, although the mish-mash of different technology 'looks' doesn't sit right with me sadly. It also looks a tad bulky, as others have said.

ZAChos
12-06-2006, 19:56
A very interesting model. Does it look tau? No. It really doesn't I'm afraid, but that doesn't mean its not cool.

However, the crotch cannon is reminiscent of shadowsuns female style codpiece. We can only hope codpieces will not become a major part of tau design.

Arsenal
14-06-2006, 14:04
Ok, heres a progress update with some pictures.

The base is completed and I'm very pleased with it, although I know it's pretty unique and not everyone on here will like it - it's quite abstract and stylized, but at the same time I think that actually makes it look quite realistic. Having done a lot of work with rubble and broken structures as an artist outside of the hobby, this is I think a quite faithful representation of what a warzone looks like, and the monochrome nature of the base really makes crazy colours on the model pop out even more.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4239/crisiscommanderwip72zm.jpg
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2189/crisiscommanderwip87ke.jpg

It might not look like a lot of progress has been made, but it has been a long long period of basecoating all of the black areas carefully, there really was a lot of tricky surfaces and nooks and crannies on the model that needed blacking out.

As for colour choices, i'm really pleased with the unique light blue/gray on the burst cannon and bracing on the right arm. It really throws all the other colours off and helps make the tau model look really alien, as it's just off white so not a conventional contrast to the black and the orange.

I'd be interested to hear what you guys think, sorry for the slow progress but the world cup is on, so i'm just taking it nice and slowly and watching the games whilst I do it!

CMDante
14-06-2006, 14:52
Looks like a flying Tau dreadnought to me, interesting use of parts but lacks the smooth edges of the Tau design.

Yarick Zan
14-06-2006, 21:08
it looks almost like it could powerhouse through a concrete wall. it could be considerd a new expiremental type of support suit heavier and stronger and more powerful than all the others, but it would have to suffer from somthing like slow and purposeful to balance it kind of. but then again space marine dreadnaughts dont so go for it.