PDA

View Full Version : Space Marine Venerable Dreadnought - Worth it or not?

Dwarf Longbeard
11-02-2014, 20:10
Hi all, I've been building up my space marine army and got the Strikeforce boxset.
I would have preferred to have had an Ironclad Dreadnought but was looking at the normal Dreadnought which isn't too bad; I was looking at the unit entry in the codex and the Venerable upgrade sounds good with the stat upgrades and the ability to re-roll penetration results.

The problem is it seems quite an expensive upgrade and I was wondering if people think it's worth paying the points for or is it worth just going with a standard dreadnought?

Royals
11-02-2014, 20:20
I have several Venerable Dreadnoughts for my Dark Angels. My favorite combination is the Assault Cannon w/ a Stormbolter on the Dreadnought. With BS5, you put out a lot of shots that are accurate and I really like making use out of that BS5.

Akwikone
11-02-2014, 20:37
I have several Venerable Dreadnoughts for my Dark Angels. My favorite combination is the Assault Cannon w/ a Stormbolter on the Dreadnought. With BS5, you put out a lot of shots that are accurate and I really like making use out of that BS5.

Or Assault Cannon+Auto Cannon, but you have to be a bit more careful with that, as it's starting to sink a decent chunk of points into a single modal.

hobojebus
11-02-2014, 20:46
You dont want expensive dreadnought's they dont stay on the board long enough to earn their point's back sadly.

Royals
11-02-2014, 20:59
Rule of Cool, my man! I think they're awesome, even if they're not the most competitive option. They just look so cool.

Dwarf Longbeard
11-02-2014, 21:49
Thanks for the replies, I do like the look of them but I'm being careful with the points I spend on them as well, I'm looking at giving it the assault cannon and power fist with heavy flamer combo to help support my tactical squads.

Slayer-Fan123
11-02-2014, 21:59
If you're gonna use one, I'd still do the Rifledread for popping Transports, though it won't make them much better against Fliers.

It's not a bad buy entirely, but sometimes you wanna spend the points elsewhere.

Retrospectus
11-02-2014, 23:49
best part of the venerable kit (apart from stealing the heads for my chapter masters) is that you get enough bits to make all the gun options in the kit (plasma, lascannon, ass-cannon) and swap them around depending on your mood

ehlijen
12-02-2014, 00:40
Honestly, if you're going for TL guns, the BS is not worth the upgrade. TL BS4 is about 88% to hit already.

I think a WS5 DNCCW is also important.

I honestly think an Ironclad is worth more (+1AV beats Venerable for durability by a mile), but if I had to take a venerable, I'd go assault cannon and SB, yeah.

Nazguire
12-02-2014, 04:19
Model is pretty cool. I'd use one for that reason I reckon.

Just accept that unless it's a Wraithknight, it's not worth it. Like seriously. If you need to succeed you need a Wraithknight, or if you're a bit sceptical, then Riptide is an acceptable alternative.

The Emperor
12-02-2014, 04:42
What a shame that you can't take a Venerable Ironclad Dreadnought... :\

MajorWesJanson
12-02-2014, 05:26
What a shame that you can't take a Venerable Ironclad Dreadnought... :\

Or a Chaplain or Librarian venerable dread...

The Emperor
12-02-2014, 05:30
Or a Chaplain or Librarian venerable dread...

Yep. I don't get why those are Blood Angels only.

AngryAngel
12-02-2014, 06:13
By rule of cool, I agree, Dreads are awesome. I think I'd just take regular dreads however, save the points as venerable isn't as good as it once was and I don't think it is good enough for the points you spend on it. I agree with others that the Ironclad is better if your looking to have a hardy dread.

12-02-2014, 07:35
The Venerable rule was pretty darned good when you could get shaken or stunned a dozen times with no long-term effects; it added hugely to the survivability of the platform. Nowadays dreads are dead on the third glance/pen no matter what you roll on the table, and being able to reroll the pen result is a lot less likely to keep the thing on the table turn after turn.

ehlijen
12-02-2014, 08:11
To be fair, the cost of the venerable status also went down a lot since the last codex.

And as to Librarian Dreads being BA only: It's an arbitrary distinction to help justify separate codices. We can either accept them or accept that GW will spend 90% of its time reprinting the SM codex over and over.

mughi3
12-02-2014, 09:41
Back in the day (3rd edition through 5th edition) venerable status was incredible, not for the BS/WS boost but for the survivability factor. I cannot count how many times my dread heavy army list got a "dead" result that got re-rolled into something "not dead" usually epically it was stunned or shaken.

The problem now is that the introduction of hull points or rather the way they were implemented and the changes to walker CC rules have made dreads pretty terrible for their points costs as anything other than a ranged shooting platform.

Currently the contemptor mortis pattern is the king of the fire support dreads with its better front armor BS increase upgrade and skyfire/intercept upgrade. It's so bad I don't even use my dread themed army any more in 6th edition. hopefully hull points will see a revision in 7th, until then I am playing my IG.

Anggul
12-02-2014, 09:52
It's always worth buying Venerable for a Dreadnought unless you're using a TL weapon in which case the BS is mostly wasted.

The problem is that Dreadnoughts aren't worth it in the first place.

Contemptors, now those are good.

DoomedToRepeatIt
12-02-2014, 22:44
It also depends on what Chapter Tactics you're running. If its Iron Hands, then the IWND and bonus to repair rolls help to counteract the hull point vulnerability. I would however advocate staying away from the plasma cannon -- the risk of further hull point loss -- and stick with a MM or assault cannon.